Highlights

save malaysia!!!

Author: savemalaysia   |   Latest post: Wed, 19 Feb 2020, 10:24 PM

 

50 telecommunication towers to be built in Sabah under NFCP 1 project

Author: savemalaysia   |  Publish date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020, 10:24 PM


KOTA KINABALU, Feb 19 — The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) will build 50 telecommunication towers across Sabah under the first phase of the National Fiberisation and Connectivity Plan (NFCP 1), which commenced earlier this month.

Sabah and Labuan MCMC director Roslan Mohamad said all the telecommunication towers are expected to be completed within six months.

“Edotco Malaysia Sdn Bhd (Edotco) and FGV Prodata Systems Sdn Bhd (Prodata) have been awarded the first phase of the NFCP project with the scope of supplying, preparing and installing the towers and its support, for the purpose of providing public cellular service,” he told reporters here, today.

He said the 50 telecommunication towers were in addition to the existing 516 owned by MCMC in Sabah.

According to him, Sabah was the state with the highest number of towers under the NFCP 1 project, accounting for 50 or 33 per cent of the 152 towers to be installed nationwide.

Roslan said 152 telecommunication towers will be built nationwide for the NFCP 1 project covering eight states with 93 mukims, namely in Sabah (50 sites); Pahang (28 sites); Kelantan (18 sites); Johor (13 sites); Terengganu (13 sites); Kedah (10 sites); Negri Sembilan (10 sites) and Perak (10 sites).

“NFCP 1 is one of the infrastructure-based initiatives identified in line with NFCP, which aims to broaden high quality digital connectivity at an affordable cost.

He said the aim of the project was to provide public cellular services in areas that have no or limited access to 3G and 4G coverage.

“NFCP 1 will improve the quality of broadband services by providing an average speed of 30Mbps,” he added. — Bernama

 

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2020/02/19/50-telecommunication-towers-to-be-built-in-sabah-under-nfcp-1-project/1839029

  Be the first to like this.
 

Guan Eng did not chair meeting on Tabung Haji, says JPM minister’s office

Author: savemalaysia   |  Publish date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020, 10:24 PM


KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 19 — The office of the Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department today denied that Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng had chaired a meeting on Lembaga Tabung Haji (TH) as seen in a photo which had gone viral on social media.

It explained that the photo was actually taken during Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Mujahid Yusof Rawa’s courtesy call with officials of the Department of Islamic Development Malaysia (Jakim) to explain on the concept of Rahmatan Lil’ Alamin on February 18, last year.

“The allegations made are baseless and irresponsible. The spread of the photo is a deliberate attempt to spread racial and religious hatred in the country,” it said in a statement.

It further said that according to the Tabung Haji Act 1995, the minister in charge of TH was the minister in the Prime Minister’s Department managing the Islamic affairs, and not the finance minister.

It said a police report had been made over the allegations and the public had been advised not to trust fake news made by irresponsible individuals. — Bernama

 

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2020/02/19/guan-eng-did-not-chair-meeting-on-tabung-haji-says-jpm-ministers-office/1839021

  Be the first to like this.
 

Covid-19 could see up to 100,000 Malaysians lose jobs? That’s just an estimation, says deputy minister

Author: savemalaysia   |  Publish date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020, 10:23 PM


KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 19 — The figure of nearly 100,000 Malaysians to lose jobs if the Covid-19 threat persists until end of the year is just an estimation, said Deputy Human Resources Minister Datuk Mahfuz Omar.

He said the ministry was still gathering information is still in the midst of studying the effect of the Covid-19 situation on employment in certain sectors.

“We will know the actual number after the trade unions provide the full information through the Department of Labour (JTK) and based on the Social Security Organisation’s (Socso) Employment Insurance System (SIP),” he told reporters during the Human Resources Development Fund (HRDF) Chinese New Year celebration and Clients’ Day here today.

Several newspapers today reported Malaysian Employers Federation (MEF) executive director Datuk Shamsuddin Bardan as saying that up to 100,000 Malaysians could lose their jobs this year if the Covid-19 infection were to persist until year-end. 

Mahfuz said he had a meeting with  tour bus drivers, especially those who handle tourists from China, and they were worried of losing their income due to the current Covid-19 threat.

“Although they are not being laid off yet, they have not been paid by their employers because there is no tourists in need of their service,” he said, adding that the tourism industry is the worst affected by the Covid-19 infection.

Meanwhile, Mahfuz said HRDF would develop the Learning and Training Hub (LATiH), an online portal for companies to choose relevant training programmes for their respective  company needs. — Bernama

 

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2020/02/19/covid-19-could-see-up-to-100000-malaysians-lose-jobs-thats-just-an-estimati/1839034

  Be the first to like this.
 

Covid-19 not expected to have big impact on S'wak economy, says CM

Author: savemalaysia   |  Publish date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020, 10:22 PM


KUCHING: The Covid-19 outbreak is not expected to have a huge impact on Sarawak's economy, says Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg.

The Chief Minister said this was because the state's economy was not dependent on the services sector, including tourism.

"Our services sector is not as big as peninsular Malaysia's. We have injected substantial sums into our infrastructure development and therefore our growth is still (projected) between 5% and 6%.

"The problem of the coronavirus affects us only a bit because our economy is structured in such a way that we are not depending too much on services.

"So the business is still there, with the billions of ringgit we have put into infrastructure," Abang Johari told reporters after launching a Sarawak travel app here on Wednesday (Feb 19).

He added that while tourism was the sector most likely to be affected by Covid-19, it would not be too hard hit as the state's tourism industry did not rely on Chinese visitors.

"Our Chinese arrivals are not many, only about 3,000 last year. Our visitors are mostly from Brunei and Kalimantan.

"That's why we are not really much affected, even for tourism," he said.

State Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah said Sarawak was targeting five million visitors this year in conjunction with Visit Malaysia Year 2020 and Visit Sarawak campaigns, although the Covid-19 outbreak was causing concerns for the tourism industry.

"However, we reviewed our marketing strategies, which include increasing promotional and marketing initiatives for domestic and inbound tourism, to encourage more domestic tourists to choose Sarawak as a preferred holiday destination," he said.

On the Sarawak More to Discover app, he said it would allow tourists to explore street views and 360° panoramic images of attractions such as the Sarawak Cultural Village, Fort Margherita and national parks and experience virtual tours of a longhouse.

"They can also locate Sarawak dishes, plan a tour and arrange transport. The app is a virtual tourist guide and it will take the experience of tourists who use it to a whole new level.

"This includes getting information about destinations, making bookings and transactions and leaving reviews on the places they have visited," Karim said.

 

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2020/02/19/covid-19-not-expected-to-have-big-impact-on-s039wak-economy-says-cm

  Be the first to like this.
 

CM says Sarawak tourism won’t take major hit from Covid-19

Author: savemalaysia   |  Publish date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020, 10:22 PM


KUCHING, Feb 19 — Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Openg today stressed that Sarawak’s tourism industry will not suffer much due to the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) originating from China.

 He said the state’s tourism industry did not rely only on China for tourist arrivals.

“Our market is diverse, including Europe, and I am sure that they will come to Sarawak because of our friendly environment as well as nature,” he said at the launch of the state Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture’s Sarawak Travel App and Web Portal here.

 The chief minister also urged industry players, including those in excursions and food and beverage business and adventure, to make use of technology to promote their products.

“What is very important is that you must have very good content in your websites, and that will attract outside people to come over to Sarawak,” he said.

State Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah said Sarawak was aiming for five million visitors and RM12.4 billion in tourism receipts this year despite Covid-19.

He said this was because the Visit Malaysia 2020 and Sarawak More to Discover campaigns were ongoing.

 He said his ministry has reviewed the marketing strategies that included an increase of promotional and marketing initiatives for domestic and inbound tourism to encourage more local tourists to choose Sarawak as a preferred holiday destination.

“Other proposed measures include increasing marketing efforts to correct any mistaken impression that Malaysia is not safe and encouraging cross border tourism,” he added.

“Therefore, all stakeholders have to work together with a creative mind and also a positive approach for the development of Sarawak tourism towards this global issue,” he said.

On the Sarawak Travel App and Web Portal, Karim said it was an initiative that stemmed from one of the main pillars of Sarawak’s economic strategies that will drive Sarawak towards the forefront of the digital economy powered by knowledge, innovation and digital technology.

“Tourism remains as one of the key sectors which will turnaround the economy for Sarawak,” he said, adding that in 2018, the industry contributed RM11 billion to the state’s gross domestic product.

“In supporting its tremendous potential, a fully developed integrated tourism mobile application and web portal are regarded as the catalysts to enhance the growth of the industry,” he said.

The travel app and web portal is a partnership and collaborative effort by the state Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture, Sarawak Multimedia Authority (SMA), and Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS) to digitalize major components of Sarawak tourism industry.

It covers a number of sites of interests, such as Old Kuching Heritage, scenic sites, national parks and nature reserve, food and religious trails, museum and kampung heritage.

 

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2020/02/19/cm-says-sarawak-tourism-wont-take-major-hit-from-covid-19/1838981

  Be the first to like this.
 

Manufacturing sector confident of weathering Covid-19 setback

Author: savemalaysia   |  Publish date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020, 10:22 PM


PETALING JAYA: Manufacturing industry players are optimistic that the temporary setback triggered by the Covid-19 outbreak would be reversed soon, as most factories in China are running at full steam to meet global demand for their products and parts.

Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers president Datuk Soh Thian Lai said except in Wuhan where the virus first emerged, factories elsewhere in China were racing to clear the backlog.

“Shipments were initially delayed because the Covid-19 outbreak adversely affected the transportation sector. There was also a temporary slowdown of production during the Chinese New Year holidays.

“But now the situation appears to be under control as China imposed extreme measures by locking down affected areas, ” he said.

Manufacturers in Malaysia relying on parts and products from factories in Wuhan may have to temporarily look for alternative sources, he said.

“But factories in unaffected parts in China would be able to meet global demand soon.

“Therefore there is no need to hit the panic button. Stay calm. We may face slight delays in shipment to meet the demand for March and April supply.

“Even in the worst-case scenario, we expect this issue will blow over by June, ” he said.

 

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2020/02/19/manufacturing-sector-confident-of-weathering-covid-19-setback

  Be the first to like this.
 


 

392  304  527  750 

ActiveGainersLosers
Top 10 Active Counters
 NameLastChange 
 PWRWELL 0.365+0.065 
 XOX 0.050.00 
 SAPNRG 0.240.00 
 MYEG 1.23-0.01 
 FPGROUP 0.96+0.01 
 MTOUCHE 0.195+0.01 
 ARMADA 0.39+0.005 
 ICON 0.120.00 
 BINACOM 0.55+0.055 
 ASB 0.165+0.02 
Partners & Brokers