Social Forum >> Forum Thread
10 comment(s). Last comment by paperplane at Sep 9, 2020 8:43 AM
 2 people like this.

Post Reply   Back  
Page 1

johnny cash
6141 posts

Posted by johnny cash > Jan 4, 2014 6:40 PM | Report Abuse

yes i notice many analyst does not use beta in their reports..most common ones are EPS,, ROE

johnny cash
6141 posts

Posted by johnny cash > Jan 4, 2014 6:42 PM | Report Abuse

do you know of any screener that can filter out stocks based on beta for malaysian stocks

Lah Pak
197 posts

Posted by Lah Pak > Jan 4, 2014 10:13 PM | Report Abuse

Crazy and fanatic. That's what I can say.

yfchong
4515 posts

Posted by yfchong > Jan 5, 2014 7:59 AM | Report Abuse

Dear bro KC, your article is good and well explained.

keanpoh
91 posts

Posted by keanpoh > Jan 18, 2014 1:18 AM | Report Abuse

kcchongnz, beta does explain the relationship of a stock (or portfolio) return with the market risk (non-diversifiable risk). But when studying the beta, one should also consider the R-square, which measures how much the beta can be used to explain its relationship with the market risk.

I would use the beta as a simple guide or quick reference as to how risky (or volatile) the stock might be with reference to the historical return and that's all. Also note that the beta value changes as the historical time frame is used to run the regression. Furthermore, using a daily return, weekly return or monthly return for the regression will yield significant difference in the value of the beta. Daily return beta covers more information but is also affected by more noise. Maybe a monthly return beta is a better estimate.

kcchongnz
6656 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > Jan 18, 2014 6:25 AM | Report Abuse

keanpoh,

Excellent comments.

Many research has shown the anomalies in stock returns as opposed to the proposition of efficient market hypothesis and capital asset pricing model. Intuitively, I can't imagine the riskiness of a stock is governed by its volatility of its against the market return. But anyway, beta may be used just as a guide. Beta clearly has not explained well in the return of my portfolio above.

I am convinced that other factors such as price-to-book value, Price-to-cash flow, price-to-earnings, size effects and others would have more profound in the long-term return of stocks.

lazynovice
1 post

Posted by lazynovice > Oct 1, 2014 6:44 PM | Report Abuse

Here it raises the question of whether beta (which is calculated based on historical data) is a reliable reference for future return, and according to your calculation above, it shows that it is likely not the case. However, your calculation is only based on data over a 1-year period, so i think it would be very interesting to make the same calculation again for the same portfolio over a longer period, maybe 3/4-years period?

JeevS
326 posts

Posted by JeevS > Dec 17, 2014 12:40 AM | Report Abuse

Use adjusted beta, beta(new) = 0.67+beta*0.33 It will bring the value closer to 1 if you use daily or weekly data.

kcchongnz
6656 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > Dec 17, 2014 9:31 AM | Report Abuse

Think about it, may be Beta has some use in stock investing. When the market is expecting to go up, buy stocks with high beta. When the pendulum is higher up, change to lower beta stocks.

One can use JeevS's adjusted beta, may be.

paperplane
20640 posts

Posted by paperplane > Sep 9, 2020 8:43 AM | Report Abuse

beta?what beta

Post Reply   Back  
Page 1
APPS
I3 Messenger
Individual or Group chat with anyone on I3investor
MQ Trader
Perform Technical & Fundamental Analysis on Stocks
MQ Affiliate
Earn rewards by referring your friends

564  409  601  26 

ActiveGainersLosers
Top 10 Active Counters
 NameLastChange 
 TRIVE-OR 0.0050.00 
 QES 0.38+0.04 
 KSTAR 0.21-0.045 
 DNEX 0.26+0.005 
 BIOHLDG 0.30+0.04 
 DYNACIA 0.120.00 
 LAMBO 0.030.00 
 MCLEAN 0.325+0.095 
 AT 0.180.00 
 VSOLAR 0.040.00 

FEATURED POSTS

1. The Equity Market Index Benchmark in Malaysia CMS
2. Trading Scenarios of Derivatives Bursa Derivatives Education Series
3. Derivatives 101 Bursa Derivatives Education Series
4. Why Trade FKLI? Bursa Derivatives Education Series
5. MQ Trader - Introduction to MQ Trader Affiliate Program MQ Trader Announcement!
PARTNERS & BROKERS