13.72   -0.10 (0.72%)  13.72 - 13.82  21,400
459 comment(s). Last comment by unicornbird at Nov 21, 2021 4:40 PM
 3 people like this.

Post Reply   Back  
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Lawman
86 posts

Posted by Lawman > Sep 14, 2021 10:21 PM | Report Abuse

Fire insurance is mandatory every single year to be paid by every single condo owner. How often does a condo unit ever burn down? Worthwhile reading below.

https://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2020/02/18/fire-insurance-review-would-not-be-overly-detrimental-to-lpi

LPI is one of those companies you can just buy and forget about, and just keep collecting dividends far higher than your bank FD rate. The best listed insurance company in Malaysia, always profitable rain or shine and consistent dividend payer. Sadly, it no longer has the 15-20%+ compounded annual growth it used to have 10 years ago - mainly just a dividend stock now.

Sarah87
42 posts

Posted by Sarah87 > Sep 17, 2021 9:25 AM | Report Abuse

Totally agree with Lawman ~~~ the best gem !

unicornbird
44 posts

Posted by unicornbird > Sep 19, 2021 2:07 PM | Report Abuse

Lawman thank you for the good article on fire insurance.
the problem here is that LPI's fire insurance price is much higher than Great eastern. Public bank bundle LPI fire insurance into their mortgage and force borrowers to buy it at about 50% more expensive than market rate.
If bank negara allow borrowers to freely choose their fire insurer, then LPI could suffer?

Lawman
86 posts

Posted by Lawman > Sep 19, 2021 10:03 PM | Report Abuse

unicornbird Okay so LPI Gross Written Premiums for Fire insurance in 2020 accounts for 41% of total premiums but accounts for the lions share of underwriting surplus at ~64%. I don't really benchmark between the various insurance providers but it seems that fire insurance only amounts to about RM100+ or less for a typical KL condo per year. This is based on amounts I have been paying for my KL condo properties which non seem to use LPI as the master fire insurance provider.

Not sure how price sensitive customers are as typically condo management committee will be the ones who chooses which insurance provider to use and get a master fire insurance title for the whole condo building. Public Bank bundling mortgage with fire insurance will go on unless government makes a law against this type of practice but in the meantime LPI will keep benefiting as Public Bank customers will keep using the LPI insurance.

Lawman
86 posts

Posted by Lawman > Sep 19, 2021 10:08 PM | Report Abuse

So I think issues on fire insurance are quite negligible to LPIs earnings for at least the near/mid term. What is more pressing is that Tan Sri owns ~44% of LPI and at age 91 nobody or at least very few know what will happen in the future to these controlling shares. Who will take over the 44% ownership of LPI and how will LPI management and structure/culture be at that time....

unicornbird
44 posts

Posted by unicornbird > Sep 21, 2021 1:57 PM | Report Abuse

Lawman thank you for sharing your experience.
the founder's age is also my main concern about buying into LPI & Public bank. they may be taken over by other shareholders which can't manage well.
Fire insurance can be extremely price sensitive, as we move into digital age. they could be bundled into Grab's / Lazada's online packages. LPI benefit currently from gov's ignorance, but don't think the situation will remain for long. Everyone eyeing the fat pie

I dislike also about LPI's focus on fire. If they have more diversified like life insurance, hospitalization, etc. At least they can buffer for shocks

guppycrow
87 posts

Posted by guppycrow > Oct 6, 2021 8:57 AM | Report Abuse

Proxy stock preferrential horizon betapro global buy uptick.

goody99
1560 posts

Posted by goody99 > Oct 18, 2021 9:49 AM | Report Abuse

I ask the following question in MNRB forum but no response. Maybe someone here is able to help:

for an insurance company, the problem is usually the motor claims. Do insurance companies benefited from lockdown as there are less motor theft? Could someone in the general insurance industry please enlighten us?

unicornbird
44 posts

Posted by unicornbird > Nov 21, 2021 4:40 PM | Report Abuse

goody i think insurance company benefit from it. Less traffic, less accident, less payout. But premium is the same

Post Reply   Back  
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

FEATURED POSTS

1. MQ Trader - Introduction to MQ Trader Affiliate Program MQ Trader Announcement!

TOP ARTICLES

1. Health minister: Traveller from South Africa on Nov 19 is Malaysia’s first Omicron case save malaysia!
2. WHO urges Asia-Pacific to ready for Omicron-driven surge in infections Good Articles to Share
3. The case of ATA IMS: A tip of the iceberg? By Veeriah save malaysia!
4. Latest Land Disposal in Sg Tiram, Johor, shows Palm Oil Companies with Huge Landbanks with Cheap Book Value are Jewels, Calvin Tan THE INVESTMENT APPROACH OF CALVIN TAN
5. MIDF Research maintains 'buy' recommendation on FGV, target price unchanged at RM2.20 (FANTASTIC: ALL PALM OIL STOCKS SHOULD RE RERATED, Calvin Tan THE INVESTMENT APPROACH OF CALVIN TAN
6. Aurelius Technologies Bhd - Global EMS Provider PublicInvest Research
7. 3QCY21 Results Review - Fat Tails Kenanga Research & Investment
8. Strategy - A decent 3Q2021 but uncertainty has increased AmInvest Research Reports
APPS
I3 Messenger
Individual or Group chat with anyone on I3investor
MQ Trader
Stock Screener using Technical and Fundamental criteria
MQ Affiliate
Join the MQ Affiliate Program today to earn rewards

362  474  546  892 

ActiveGainersLosers
Top 10 Active Counters
 NameLastChange 
 VSOLAR 0.015-0.005