12 comment(s). Last comment by speakup 2016-08-15 15:11

bruce5113

4,168 posts

Posted by bruce5113 > 2016-08-13 19:58 | Report Abuse

no comment, just no hope... :-)

Jay

1,126 posts

Posted by Jay > 2016-08-13 20:09 | Report Abuse

I don't like to be pessimistic but looking at both sets of our politicians (BN and opposition), I don't have high hopes. maybe one Malaysian sporting enthusiast billionaire could change our sports landscape (much like how Abramovich change football)

Jay

1,126 posts

Posted by Jay > 2016-08-13 21:14 | Report Abuse

it's ok. everyone's entitled to their own opinion. the only reason sports exist is very much similar to why entertainment biz exists. people want to be entertained and is willing to pay for it and sports is part of life and culture today. besides sports is a multi-billion industry. so if sports is here to stay, I'd rather Malaysia thrives rather than sucks

bruce5113

4,168 posts

Posted by bruce5113 > 2016-08-13 23:55 | Report Abuse

our people attitude not right, even abramovich came to rescue also same, even with world class facility, top coach i don't think can help much, accept this as reality... :-)

kingcobra

2,772 posts

Posted by kingcobra > 2016-08-14 21:09 | Report Abuse

Malaysia Bolih aka Jaguh Kampong!

lohman

205 posts

Posted by lohman > 2016-08-15 12:44 | Report Abuse

You do the maths.
Look at the available resources, human, financial or otherwise in Malaysia devoted to sports compared to sporting giants USA, China, Great Britain, Germany, Japan etc. Once in a blue moon, an outstanding individual from a small country can beat the odds and become an individual world champion in some relatively minor sport such as badminton or squash but with the talent pool being so small, with a indigenous nurturing structure so undeveloped, chances are indeed slim Malaysia can produce world beaters regularly. Even less likely in large team events such as football, hockey, basketball or the like where multiple talents are a must. Chances are further reduced when women are not encouraged to take up certain sports.

Posted by limyikwang > 2016-08-15 12:46 | Report Abuse

A thoughtful article Jay, and one that resonates strongly with my personal opinions on this matter. Even Schooling's father had to forked out more than 1 million SGD to sponsor his son's time in the US. How many can afford that? Similarly I've heard of figures whether team GB spent on average GBP 4.5mil on EACH of the gold medal they won in London '12. Estimate may be off but it does provide a good ballpark feel on the extent of resources required to create winners in the world's elite sports today.

thteh

106 posts

Posted by thteh > 2016-08-15 12:52 | Report Abuse

The answer is practice meritocracy in everything from study, sports, job applications and promotion then we can achieve greatness.

Kesley Tan

2,082 posts

Posted by Kesley Tan > 2016-08-15 12:59 | Report Abuse

A third-world country.
Either invest heavily or just forget about it.

See how korea prop up their entertainment.
If you pay the sportsman well, I am pretty sure more ppl will join this field.
Nowadays, they're paid peanuts and who else is willing to risk their career on it.
Most sporsman career are short - athletes, swimmers, footballers - you had to pay them well so they are willing to participate.

Jay

1,126 posts

Posted by Jay > 2016-08-15 13:31 | Report Abuse

smaller countries than us have won gold medals, so talent pool is not the major factor (if not india and china wouldn't have such huge difference in medal tally) but the talent participation rate and funding. government shd take the lead and corporates chip in, once we have the funding environment, talented athletes or their agents can go look for their own sponsors

choop818

689 posts

Posted by choop818 > 2016-08-15 14:10 | Report Abuse

Maybe Malaysia should up the reward for a gold medal in the Olympics to RM10 million. Parents who are usually the driving force in their children's success will be tempted to invest big in sport.

speakup

25,106 posts

Posted by speakup > 2016-08-15 15:11 | Report Abuse

dont look down on malaysia. we have a RM2.6BIL champion corruptor :-)
JUARA DUNIA! puts Nigeria's Mugabe to shame.

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS.....WE ARE THE CHAMPION....WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD!!!!

Post a Comment
Market Buzz