Posted by kschai89 > 2013-11-04 17:55 | Report Abuse

Good day everyone, As a starter in KLSE & believer of value investing, I have over the last 1 year invested in several companies in KLSE which I think there's value in it. I have invested in Tecnic, CIMB, Engkah, P&O, UOADev, WCT, Mudajaya, CBIP. OVer the last 1 year, my portfolio as a whole yield a mediocre 3% return only. I would like to ask my fellow investor on the forums, am I missing some key understanding in achieving more returns?

1 person likes this.

27 comment(s). Last comment by kerenie 2013-11-07 14:37

bsngpg

2,842 posts

Posted by bsngpg > 2013-11-04 23:11 | Report Abuse

Hi: frankly speaking 3% for the last 1 year is low. My simple return between 30Nov2012 to 4 Nov 2013 is in double digit. I have excluded few counters will extraordinary return bought after Nov 2012 and with bonus issue. I am not trying to show off here but just want you to have a better picture of the actual return of other. But honestly speaking, my annual return for the last 20 years was less than 5% as I made lot of silly mistakes in the early years of investment.

I neither have fundamental analysis skill nor technical analysis skill. I try hard to invest with relatively safer way by investing in high dividend, more established and well known companies such as LPI, Genting, Zhulian , Mahsing and CIMB.

I dare not to comment on your selected stocks but I have only CIMB similar with yours. Unfortunately this one is the lowest return stock with only 4%/year among all.

Please re-assess the definition of your “Value”. The Value thought by you but not the broad market is not a real Value bringing you money. Please do not think that you are smarter than others in spotting Value Stock which the broad market does not know.

Simply put in few words, do not buy ( or buy very minimum only) now at high level. Follow up and aim few blue chips or near blue chips. Wait very patently till the Bear hits the market, buy and keep for very long term while receiving dividend regularly. This way, you will beat the market in the next Bull market.

Do not feel sorry for not buying if the market ups for another 10% to ~2000 points. If the money is not yours, it is not yours. 10%-1.2% commission- 3.8%FD, your actual loss is only 5%. What is the big deal when comparing 5% to the high risk associated with 2000 point.

A Very Good Luck to you.

inwest88

5,628 posts

Posted by inwest88 > 2013-11-04 23:15 | Report Abuse

# bsnpgp - well said. Currently the play is focused on penny stocks and definitely is not the right time to pick up blue chips. If one is neither a speculator or short term trader, just hold on to his / her cash. The bear will come one day !

bsngpg

2,842 posts

Posted by bsngpg > 2013-11-04 23:40 | Report Abuse

inwest88 : I were just doing my duty to drop few lines to the new investors in Bursa. Hopefully they do not make the silly mistakes as I did in the early days. 浅见而已. 见笑了.

inwest88

5,628 posts

Posted by inwest88 > 2013-11-04 23:47 | Report Abuse

# bsngpg - agree, they need to have proper advice that making money from the stock market is not so easy as it seems. They have to understand that no one (an ordinary person) can get rich from investing in stocks

sephiroth

14,110 posts

Posted by sephiroth > 2013-11-04 23:54 | Report Abuse

my TA 3 mths return 33.9%, INSAS 7 hour return 14.5%, FLBHD 2 days return 12.72%, GUH 2 months return 32%, Mah Sing only 15-20% return

in short, choose cash rich or way below NAV or high yield company (strong fundamental penny stock)

DJDJ

210 posts

Posted by DJDJ > 2013-11-05 00:04 | Report Abuse

Thank you for sharing. It would be appreciated if all taikos can share something about exit strategy? Theoretically, i studied about "buy on rumours, sell on news; buy when everyone fear;sell when everyone greed" and so on but not really able to used it on real investment world. Sometimes i felt i missed the opportunity to sell...

choolooi

310 posts

Posted by choolooi > 2013-11-05 00:25 | Report Abuse

DJdj, go to forum :::: my trading stock :::::: by bro Matrixcool .
Read all his postings .... Just a few days ago he gave a very good piece on the loss/ gain ratio ...
You will definitely benefit from the comments by other sifus in that thread.

Good nite and happy learning
Then happy trading and happy counting $$$$$$$ all the way to the bank.

ProfitMan

2,094 posts

Posted by ProfitMan > 2013-11-05 10:31 | Report Abuse

Below are my suggestions to you as a relatively new investor and also to share some of my experiences. Please don't feel offended but just take it from someone like me who have lost big time money during my early days of investing.

1. Gain knowledge in fundamental (FA) and technical analysis (TA). These are tools that will help you in what to buy, when & how much to buy and sell. Not a guarantee that you will make money but they will maximize yr profits and minimize your losses.

2. Decide on your own risk profile and then work out your basket of investment. In your basket you may have 70% of yr funds in high risk speculative shares and 30% in defensive shares with dividend yields. Some investors may go 90% on speculative depending your risk appetite.

For example, I hold shares like TM and Digi long term for its high dividend yield and I also trade speculative counters.

3. Understand that you will make and lose money in investing but you want a high success rate of profits. All investors will tell you that out of 10 trades, there are some counters that they will lose money but the profits outweigh the losses.

4. Don't be greedy. Take profits, even if the shares shoots sky high after you sold and learn to cut losses. I once had AEONCR at 3.2 but sold off at 4.50 and then the share shot up to the current price of 16.12!

5. Do your own research on counters. CARDINAL RULE: Never Never Never listen to tips even if the informer claims inside information!

I had experienced syndicate play first hand once and profited from it. Believe me, it is cruel. We do "stealth buying" and when the tip is out, we were selling.

The suggestions above are not exhaustive and others may want to add to it. Many of us have lost money and I surely hope you will be successful in your investment. Good luck!

jenabchen123

1,174 posts

Posted by jenabchen123 > 2013-11-05 11:02 | Report Abuse

Do not chase the price. If you have done your homework and set your buying target price that you think is the right price to enter, be discipline and queue for it.

bsngpg

2,842 posts

Posted by bsngpg > 2013-11-05 11:05 | Report Abuse

ProfitMan is another good man besides the fews commented earlier.
Kschai89, you are the very lucky one in attracting good advices from seniors.

Thank you very much to all generous experience sharing to new comers. May God bless you.

bsngpg

2,842 posts

Posted by bsngpg > 2013-11-05 12:53 | Report Abuse

Chen123 is certainly included in a few good men. My post was written before yours thus making it seems like you are not included. Sorry.

ProfitMan

2,094 posts

Posted by ProfitMan > 2013-11-05 14:33 | Report Abuse

DJDJ, there are many exit strategies. I will try to help you. There are many skilled and kind investors in this forum. But remember that exit does not just mean selling when there is profits but also selling to cut loss when the price turn against you.

1. Some investors set a target price. Once reached, they sell without looking back.

2. Some will just decide to target a profit of 0.50 sen for every counter and once hit, sell.

3. Some use TA to analyze the trend and sell accordingly. This is a good method but you need TA knowledge. There are a lot of good technicians in this forum.

I personally use TA to determine exit points. Do remember that you can never sell at the highest and buy at the lowest. And volume trends are important. Hope that gives you some rough idea.

Bsngpg, you are very generous yourself too. Thanks.

inwest88

5,628 posts

Posted by inwest88 > 2013-11-05 14:55 | Report Abuse

# kschai89 - you are indeed fortunate to receive so many advice from experienced players. The point is that is that you have not posted any response to your views.

bsngpg

2,842 posts

Posted by bsngpg > 2013-11-05 15:03 | Report Abuse

kschai89: inwest88 pointed out another important life lesson for you to consider. Hopefully you are smart enought to get it.

lindw

8 posts

Posted by lindw > 2013-11-05 15:07 | Report Abuse

TQVM to all for sharing yr experiences wholeheartedly. Hopefully I can pick up as much as possible. already paid some expansive lessons a few months ago. As what chen123 said - do not chase the price

Posted by kschai89 > 2013-11-05 15:48 | Report Abuse

Hello everyone - sorry for the late response, I am currently working overseas for a few short months so there's a time zone difference - I certainly do not mean any disrespect & the only reason I reached out is out of respect to the many experience investor outside :)

Thanks for all the advise given - certainly it will be a good guideline along the journey!

Interestingly speaking, I generally like companies which are in net cash position (though some shares I currently own is not in net cash position) - what are your thoughts about net cash company? Do you think its the right strategy ; or the company is simply not utilizing their fund more effectively to source for growth?

Once again - deepest appreciation for the selfless experience sharing

inwest88

5,628 posts

Posted by inwest88 > 2013-11-05 15:51 | Report Abuse

# kschai89 - if you are interested in a company's cash position, the best source to refer to is to read kcchongnz's postings in i3 !

Posted by kschai89 > 2013-11-05 21:10 | Report Abuse

@inwest 88 - Thanks for the tips! I will check it out :)

Thanks everyone for your input & sharing!

DJDJ

210 posts

Posted by DJDJ > 2013-11-05 22:46 | Report Abuse

Good evening to all sifus. I learned alot from the wise person like you all. I wish to express my gratitude to everyone's guides and lesson! Happy investing <3

tptan45

388 posts

Posted by tptan45 > 2013-11-05 22:55 | Report Abuse

Do not diversify. Focus your funds on a few good growing companies with businesses that common sense tells you are sustainable. A good history of growing revenues and profits is a good guide. Avoid GLCs and cronies. Avoid companies with lots of warrants and rights. Avoid companies which issue ESOS too frequently. Avoid techs.
Read up. Peter Lynch, Michael o'neil and Martin Zweig offer good advice.
Keep things simple. Use your common sense.

DJDJ

210 posts

Posted by DJDJ > 2013-11-05 23:01 | Report Abuse

hi tptan45, good day. Do you mind to share your thoughts on your first point? That is, on a good growing company, how do you know if the share price is undervalued or overvalued? Cheers.

tptan45

388 posts

Posted by tptan45 > 2013-11-05 23:13 | Report Abuse

Have a look at the growth charts for revenue and profits over the past few years. They are free on the Internet. You should be able to see in one glance whether the growth is accelerating, sustained, slowing down or erratic. I only like the first two. Then calculate the PEG.

bsngpg

2,842 posts

Posted by bsngpg > 2013-11-05 23:29 | Report Abuse

Hi tptan45: Nice to meet you. I am very delight to read your comments. We are about in the same frequency. I wish to have more crossovers with you in other threads.

tptan45

388 posts

Posted by tptan45 > 2013-11-06 08:17 | Report Abuse

I seldom post nowadays as I do not have the expertise and deep analytic knowledge to contribute.
My trading concept is simple, more qualitative than quantitative, to the point of being laughable.

DJDJ

210 posts

Posted by DJDJ > 2013-11-06 14:33 | Report Abuse

hi and thanks for all the sharing again.
I would like to share my experience too, on Mahsing in this case.

On early Sept, i bought Mahsing on 2.17 ave.
Mahsing reach 2.50 in 1 month time, but i choose to keep it. Current Mahsing price 2.19 due to post budget announce and other unclear factor.

When reading the sharing, some senior mention: "Don't be greedy. "Take profits. "Dont chase the price". Well, although i never lost money up to now, but that's painful lesson. I lost opportunity to earn like 20% maybe? Thank you...

tptan45

388 posts

Posted by tptan45 > 2013-11-06 15:39 | Report Abuse

I would not worry too much about it.
Mah Sing is a good company, good growth and good earnings growth. EPS growth is about 23% per yr over 5 yrs.
I did not invest in Mah Sing, because common sense tells me there is a better property counter to invest in.. Huayang.
Affordable housing. Who would make any policies against that?

kerenie

6 posts

Posted by kerenie > 2013-11-07 14:37 | Report Abuse

heya, I'm currently learning how to trade as well. Made painful mistake such as selling GHL at RM0.66 and buying TAS at RM1.19 recently. But it's comforting to know that there so many people who share their knowledge generously here. so Thank you. :)

Post a Comment
Market Buzz