3 people like this.

7 comment(s). Last comment by manahin 2012-06-24 07:23

Mat Cendana

2,331 posts

Posted by Mat Cendana > 2012-06-10 11:35 | Report Abuse

We seem go share some similarities here. I'm also holding YTL Power shares (highest at 1.77). It's a solid company that gives dividends every quarter but I had made the mistake in not referring to the technical charts first before buying at that price. Although it was comparatively `cheap', it was on a downswing at that time - something that was clearly shown on the charts. Serves me right for being lazy. I'm using that as a lesson.

Like you, I've averaged down when it was below 1.60. Wanted to buy more last week - in fact, I was actually annoyed when it didn't go down like most other counters last Friday Heheh!

Mat Cendana

2,331 posts

Posted by Mat Cendana > 2012-06-10 11:44 | Report Abuse

I don't go for NiCorp and most similar counters either despite the temptation. Yes, one can make quick money on these... provided you are in early. It's definitely a huge risk when it's already up; often just a matter of time before the manipulators pull out, leaving the late ones high and dry.

This isn't to say the counters with heavy volumes are to be avoided at all times. JCY, for instance, is an example - many speculators are in it every day. But it's a company that's doing actually well and merits attention. I would consider it if it goes below 1.35 again.

My basic criteria: company has good fundamentals, with dividends, good volume; presently trading at lower price range; and the technical charts say a breakout or pointing towards it. Plus no negative news from Europe, US and China. That's a BUY.

gijoe

37 posts

Posted by gijoe > 2012-06-10 12:41 | Report Abuse

i'm still holding ytlp, highest is 2.2 (since last year, stop buying till lately), last month manage to accumulate more below 1.6

i don't play contra or margin, only invest with the money i can afford, and feel comfortable to accumulate defensive stock like ytlp and telco stocks

tptan45

388 posts

Posted by tptan45 > 2012-06-10 13:04 | Report Abuse

I used to trade in the past, with more losses than winnings. Being a poor man, those losses were significant for me. Then one day, before the Lehman Crash, I decided to change my way of investing and invested all my savings in Nestle. Boy, did it fly, and the rest is history.

Sold Nestle last year and since then I have been investing based on growth fundamentals alone. Cold hard figures of earnings and growth combined with my own observations.

I don't keep track of charts, Dow, Europe, G8 etc. I don't diversify. Just keep a few good growing stocks and watch for their news.

I regretted I did not invest this way earlier. Otherwise I would have retired by now.

Jake

493 posts

Posted by Jake > 2012-06-10 13:34 | Report Abuse

tptan45, what are the criteria to meet before you consider retirement?

Mat Cendana

2,331 posts

Posted by Mat Cendana > 2012-06-10 16:40 | Report Abuse

tptan45 - "Buy and keep" has its merits as you have seen from the Nestle experience. With these solid counters, it's just a matter of holding on and wait. The entrance price is important too, of course, because if you get in at the lower end, the wait would be far shorter.

There is one strategy that I'm keeping in mind i.e. in capitalising from a sudden drop. I'm keeping at least 10% of the capital unused in case there's an earth-shaking event that results in the market diving. These incidents have been happening rather more frequently especially after the subprime and Lehman affairs. Now it's matters concerning Europe, especially the possibility of a Greece default.

The panic often spreads to our market and prices are pushed way down. This is when you must force yourself to go against the crowd and buy the counters whose businesses, by right, shouldn't be too affected by external events... consumer products and utilities especially. Sooner rather than later, when the dust begins to settle and people can see clearer, investors will rush back to these counters. And I will be there to sell.

manahin

242 posts

Posted by manahin > 2012-06-24 07:23 | Report Abuse

pwroot..profitable co, cheap 50+ cents, good div, low vol

Post a Comment
Market Buzz