7 people like this.

15 comment(s). Last comment by khooinvestor 2014-05-23 17:35

nofear

27 posts

Posted by nofear > 2014-05-12 02:28 | Report Abuse

The way i see is that there might be no point giving out scholarships.

To make it sustainable, and pass onto generations after generations, loans are the only solutions, as long as the repayment is more flexible, and that the punishments are not so harsh when they default.

There's a growing concern with youngsters also. Are they really making the most out of your scholarships? That's the saddest and most disheartening part.

If their parents' salary is less than 4k, they should apply for ptptn, and top up with extra soft loans. The requirements are simple for ptptn, less than 4k combined income, you'll get maximum allowed amount 28k for ipta for 4 years. RM350 of living expenses per month after fees deduction. if their parents' combined salary is much much higher, they'll get a maximum of 8k for four years. What are they doing with your extra money?

So, are scholarship sponsors being ripped off?

Do you do the hardworking student justice? If you let them get away for being lazy in stpm or spm? CGPA of 3.0 will get you to an engineering course in IPTA already (its all B's, not B+). Is it that hard?

nofear

27 posts

Posted by nofear > 2014-05-12 02:29 | Report Abuse

I appreciate your noble gesture Mr Koon for sponsoring financially challenged student! But your personal interest should be protected also.

speakup

25,122 posts

Posted by speakup > 2014-05-12 07:44 | Report Abuse

I salute you Mr Koon!

Posted by Koon Yew Yin > 2014-05-12 10:16 | Report Abuse

I know a few multi millionaire Malays who have benefited from the NEP, sent their children to English boarding schools early so that they could secure better university places. After gaining university admission, they then ask the Government or Mara for their scholarships.

fireball

111 posts

Posted by fireball > 2014-05-12 10:47 | Report Abuse

some JPa scholars doing A lvls (enroute to overseas unis)in Taylors, HELP n Sunway go to college in chauffered BMWs, Mercs n Alphards...so wot is the criteria???

iafx

4,632 posts

Posted by iafx > 2014-05-12 11:05 | Report Abuse

setup a trust fund that pay the **school (or college); which in turn use the $ to exempt (or partial) the 'poor' who can't pay their school (or college) fee. rather than seeking the poor, the school (or college) already knew who can't pay their fee (yet a hardworking student), who drove BMW to school (yet shamelessly apply for aid).

** must open for public to review which school (or college) received how much, while not necessary to open which student.

juz a 2c view.

nofear

27 posts

Posted by nofear > 2014-05-12 13:36 | Report Abuse

Thanks sop,iafx,fireball for highlighting those issues

Yes, Mr Koon, I'm aware of that. There was a similar thing going on with jpa a few years back ( JPA scholarship for IVY League and equivalent ) whereby if you have an offer from top 10 universities in the world, you can apply for this scholarship. Provided the courses are reasonable, not greek mythology or anything like that. Means that if you get an offer from cambridge, you'll get funded by jpa.

There are no secret to gaining entrance to these top 10 schools. You got to have good grades, reasonably well english, show that you've real passion, get past their interviews. Show them you've got great passion. In fact, STPM if you do well in it, you've equal opportunity for overseas university application even comparing with A-levels etc.

Mara's scholarship money most probably is already spent by those cronies's kids and students. That's even more reason why we should look forward. Sponsoring more kids are only going to expend the middle class. If there's a need to sponsor, make sure it is going to be someone who is going to make a difference.

A good way is to sponsor a student research project, so that they can take their work to the next level.

nofear

27 posts

Posted by nofear > 2014-05-12 14:04 | Report Abuse

Don't get me wrong Mr Koon, I have much respect for you and appreciate your noble contribution. But, I think there should be a time to step back and reflect on our progress to see are we really moving forward.

We spend money working, investing. We know that money don't come easily, but do these youngster's know that? (spending time karaoke, buy new phones S1,2,3,4,5 )

marc11

16 posts

Posted by marc11 > 2014-05-19 16:31 | Report Abuse

Mr Koon sugggest if you can take initiative to run a self sustaining trust funded school or college for education. I do not know whether it will work well but at least there is someone with reputation and resources taken tthe first step and then the other rich will pool in their resouces. for example we have sucessful constuction material company, engineering consultant, education entrepeuneur, and others can pool in their resouces to build and manage the school. If we can come out with a workable master plan to convince them, i am sure most of them are pilanthropist at heart. Getting the policy right is important but on the private side i think we can be more organise with long term vision.

Posted by khooinvestor > 2014-05-21 20:49 | Report Abuse

Mr Koon, my neighbour who works as a driver and his wife is a diabetic with her foot amputated, has a very smart daughter who passed her SPM with 7 As. She is in need of a scholarship. Can you help her. My email is khooch50@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Posted by leslieroycarter > 2014-05-21 21:01 | Report Abuse

usually the poor without any strong cable will find themselves more disadvantaged compared with the aristocrat who are yielding power and position in the government. This is the fact in life and nobody can deny that.

Posted by Koon Yew Yin > 2014-05-21 22:35 | Report Abuse

Please ask the poor student to write to my wife who is charge of my charity. Her email address is kitpheng@gmail.com. If you look back, you can see my article about my scholarship offer to help poor students and you will know how to apply. I have also advertised on lim kit siang blog and also on Malaysia Finance blogspot where you can see how to apply for my scholarship.

Posted by Vijaya Kumar > 2014-05-21 22:54 | Report Abuse

God bless you n family

Posted by khooinvestor > 2014-05-21 23:17 | Report Abuse

Thank you, Mr Koon.

Posted by khooinvestor > 2014-05-23 17:35 | Report Abuse

Mr Koon, on behalf of my neighbour, I say Thank You very much. My neighbour's daughter will now be able to concentrate on her studies.

Post a Comment
Market Buzz