13 people like this.

111 comment(s). Last comment by kcchongnz 2015-06-26 18:21

soojinhou

869 posts

Posted by soojinhou > 2015-06-06 19:15 | Report Abuse

Mr Ooi,

Last Friday Shanghai dropped more than 4%, fortunately it was followed by an equally massive 4% increase on Monday. Would you advice those on margin financing to cut loss on Friday? Would your chart be able to predict both swings? Is it ethical to encourage margin financing to the mass audience in a mad market fuelled by liquidity?

Posted by AzmiMerican > 2015-06-06 19:15 | Report Abuse

Terima kasih la OTB for sharing on margin financing

I suppose cut loss is important too betul??

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2015-06-06 19:18 | Report Abuse

Mr. Ooi,

Advising investors not to use margin financing to speculate in the Chinese market "stupid"?

These are some of the share price movement in the Chinese market.

• ChiNext, a Chinese stock exchange frequently compared to America's tech-heavy Nasdaq, is already up 165% just this year.
• The average stock on the ChiNext exchange has a P/E of 140. Even after a six-year rally, the average P/E for American stocks is closer to 20.
• There have been 144 IPOs in China so far this year. On average, they've jumped 539%!
• One Chinese company (China National Nuclear Power) wanted to raise $2 billion in an IPO. Investors tried pouring $273 billion into it!

"The Economist told the story of Chinese company Kemian Wood Industry, a wood flooring company that had seen double-digit growth for "much of the past decade."

Looking to cash in on the mania surrounding tech stocks, it re-branded itself as Zeus Entertainment and changed its focus to online gaming.

It should be noted, making wood flooring and online video games... have very little in common.

Yet, investors doubled its share price after the name change!

Shanghai Duolun Industry specialized in real estate, but rebranded itself a tech company overnight.

How did it become a tech company? Well, it bought a website.

Mind you, it didn't do anything with this website. It simply bought the domain name (www.p2p.com), and put it up for sale for $100 million.

The only thing on the site is a number to call if you're interested in paying $100 million for the domain name.

The day after this tech rebranding, the company's stock soared so high that Chinese rules limiting daily price gains forced trading to stop!

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2015-06-06 19:25 | Report Abuse

I guess your acvice is very inspiring. I better shut up.

Posted by Sunkist118 > Jun 5, 2015 06:50 PM | Report Abuse
Ha lar KC Chong very Cheong hei....Sir OTB alredi said mah how he play margin

Posted by Sunkist118 > Jun 5, 2015 06:57 PM | Report Abuse
Yay Sir OTB logic prevail again

Posted by Sunkist118 > Jun 5, 2015 07:19 PM | Report Abuse
That's why I differentiate Sir and Sifu. One stone throw many sifu but Sir very little hor

Posted by AzmiMerican > Jun 6, 2015 07:13 PM | Report Abuse
Is it all about managing risk la
Kc siang malam do calculations buat apa?? To manage risk la to reduce risk la
Kalau OTB can manage risk reduce risk bila guna margin financing I dont see what is wrong with using margin

Posted by AzmiMerican > Jun 6, 2015 07:15 PM | Report Abuse
Terima kasih la OTB for sharing on margin financing

Posted by AzmiMerican > 2015-06-06 19:29 | Report Abuse

Kc I think you dah confuse market risk and finacing risk in Shanghai case la

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2015-06-06 21:52 | Report Abuse

ks55, I know your philosophy. Just asking for fun. So if you won't encourage your son to use margin finance to speculate in the stock market, similarly you won't tell people to use margin finance, right?
But your son has been a trader for so many years, why can't he use margin finance, sure win one what?

Posted by ks55 > Jun 6, 2015 08:44 PM | Report Abuse
kcchongnz -- OPM or margin finance is definitely out of my dictionary. If you still can remember my posting in your other blog, I will never recommend it. So answer to your quiz is no.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2015-06-19 18:12 | Report Abuse

Shanghai index plunged from 5023 to the close of 4478 today, or 11% in just two weeks when the statement below was made.

Just wondering those investors in China scold me that I am a stupid fool or not if they asked and I gave my opinion that using margin finance is no good.

Posted by Ooi Teik Bee > Jun 6, 2015 05:42 PM | Report Abuse

Dear KC Chong,

To me, it is a wrong strategy not to use margin financing if the market condition is very bullish. Opportunity hits but once, I will make full use of this good opportunity. In Shanghai stock market now, the rapid rise is because most investors use margin financing. You tell the investors in China now, using margin financing is very bad, I believe many investors will scold you that you are a stupid investor.

calvintaneng

53,254 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2015-06-19 19:43 | Report Abuse

KCChong invests carefully on fundamental while OTB chases momentum stocks.

One investment approach might appear dull while the other looks exciting.

In both markets people make money.

However, it is better to make money with safety than be caught in the euphoria of recklessness.

All can safely invest on fundamental.

Not all succeed chasing momentum. Only the quick witted succeed. A large group will suffer losses.

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2015-06-19 21:48 | Report Abuse

Hei Optimus !!! After attacking OTB, now you attack KC ? You kurang ajar !!! Get lost !!!

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2015-06-19 21:53 | Report Abuse

hmmm I suspect u r not Optimus.... U are trying to frame him....

Posted by Optimuskuku > 2015-06-19 21:54 |

Post removed.Why?

Posted by Optimuskuku > 2015-06-19 21:54 |

Post removed.Why?

Posted by Optimuskuku > 2015-06-19 21:55 |

Post removed.Why?

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2015-06-19 21:56 | Report Abuse

Ha ha whatever, good night. I better stay out of this. Have fun

Posted by Optimuskuku > 2015-06-19 21:57 |

Post removed.Why?

Posted by Optimuskuku > 2015-06-19 22:00 |

Post removed.Why?

Posted by Optimuskuku > 2015-06-19 22:01 |

Post removed.Why?

paperplane2

3,235 posts

Posted by paperplane2 > 2015-06-19 22:03 | Report Abuse

Investment is an ART. No right or wrong

Posted by Optimuskuku > 2015-06-19 22:04 |

Post removed.Why?

ks55

3,501 posts

Posted by ks55 > 2015-06-19 22:05 | Report Abuse

Those who use margin finance to buy Parkson and Lion Industries may face music in days, if not weeks to come. It will include major shareholders like William Cheng if the price for these counters fall further. Why? All the shares are pledged. To play safe, avoid all WC's counters.

Posted by Optimuskuku > 2015-06-19 22:07 |

Post removed.Why?

calvintaneng

53,254 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2015-06-19 22:23 | Report Abuse

Please don't descend so low in attacking characters.

Both KcChongNz and OTB have contributed to i3 forumers.

I am learning from both.

We might differ in ideology and approach. But we should respect each others' position.

Ideas my friends. Let us learn the best method.

Dr Jack Hyles said, "Great minds talk about ideas; good minds talk about things and weak minds talk about people."

OTB taught us to buy momentum stocks. If you can catch momentum stocks early and sell near peak you will earn lots of money.

Those bought momentum stocks with margin at the peak before it crashes is another story all together.

So you should first learn fundamental from KcChongnz. After that try to get in early on OTB momentum stocks. And don't be greedy. Sell into euphoria and take your profit early. Always play it safe.

Posted by Pussyking > 2015-06-19 23:00 |

Post removed.Why?

Posted by Optimuxxx > 2015-06-19 23:39 |

Post removed.Why?

Posted by Optimuxxx > 2015-06-20 00:26 |

Post removed.Why?

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2015-06-20 00:39 | Report Abuse

Like I always said, you jealous ...

paperplane2

3,235 posts

Posted by paperplane2 > 2015-06-20 01:12 | Report Abuse

Wow, new battle ground, better take my pop corn here

Posted by kiasutrader1 > 2015-06-20 01:49 | Report Abuse

The problem I see is that when people cannot accept other people's views and always insist they are right, that is when the problem starts.

I always believe that there is more than one view in life unless it is so black and white that you cannot argue with that. One must learn to Agree to Disagree. If you strongly believe that leveraging is bad, so be it and present your arguments and that is that and vice versa; no point to continue talking about it.

Thank you for allowing me to share. Have a good weekend

paperplane2

3,235 posts

Posted by paperplane2 > 2015-06-20 02:00 | Report Abuse

Totally agree. Those are such as optimus, fortunebullz, icon 888,optimus, sangharimua, salted fish. They think they r smart.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2015-06-20 04:54 | Report Abuse

To me, implying that you are learned person and a successful investor, and telling the general public to use margin finance to speculate in the stock market is a terrible thing to do. You can use it if you wish, but not telling people to do it, articulating your success in it when it could be due to luck, and forgot to tell any of your failure in using it. Haven't failed before? That you probably the only exception. But then you shouldn't base on on success and encourage others to do it when 70%, 80% of them failed, and failed miserably.

This is the only topic I kept on harping on, as I think it is terribly wrong, utterly irresponsible, and unethical.

Haven't I presented enough argument about leveraging? Please read these:

http://klse.i3investor.com/blogs/kcchongnz/44344.jsp
http://klse.i3investor.com/blogs/kcchongnz/61822.jsp
http://klse.i3investor.com/blogs/kcchongnz/73675.jsp

And where is your argument that using margin finance is good?

Please write one article and publish your reasons for encouraging the general public to use margin finance. I would love to discuss with you.

Yes, i would not stop talking about it, not just talking about it, but with facts and figures, just like before.

Posted by kiasutrader1 > Jun 20, 2015 01:49 AM | Report Abuse

The problem I see is that when people cannot accept other people's views and always insist they are right, that is when the problem starts.

I always believe that there is more than one view in life unless it is so black and white that you cannot argue with that. One must learn to Agree to Disagree. If you strongly believe that leveraging is bad, so be it and present your arguments and that is that and vice versa; no point to continue talking about it.

Thank you for allowing me to share. Have a good weekend

Posted by Pussyking > 2015-06-20 07:50 |

Post removed.Why?

Posted by Pussyking > 2015-06-20 07:52 |

Post removed.Why?

Posted by Pussyking > 2015-06-20 07:54 |

Post removed.Why?

Posted by Pussyking > 2015-06-20 08:00 |

Post removed.Why?

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2015-06-20 10:34 | Report Abuse

Posted by kiasutrader1 > Jun 5, 2015 05:28 PM | Report Abuse
Hence he must have used his business skills instead of static numbers to consider investing. Mr Koon also encourage others to use leverage as the rate of interest is so low and if one did choose a good fundamental stock with good future prospects, even the dividends are able to repay the loan interest. Remember the interest cover ratio? The EBIT is your earnings before interest and tax.

Did you also in your blog, disseminated his wisdom when he recommended people to use margin finance to buy RSawit, JTiasa, XingQuan and Mudajaya within the last three years?

paperplane2

3,235 posts

Posted by paperplane2 > 2015-06-21 01:11 | Report Abuse

China, HK over heated in short term. Next yr will be worse with more factories moving out. Any company say going expand in China, better be careful Liao.

paperplane2

3,235 posts

Posted by paperplane2 > 2015-06-21 01:14 | Report Abuse

Haha, SMRT ppl in line in their thinking. Kcchong, Calvintan, fortunebullz. Of course me lah, investlah stock king. How to double, triple your money?

paperplane2

3,235 posts

Posted by paperplane2 > 2015-06-21 01:16 | Report Abuse

Using margin will not help you double, triple! Good stock picking skill will!
Look what I did, in 2011, buy MYEG, 2012 nothing much done. 2013 skpres, inari, 2014 hl Ind. 2015???hehe

paperplane2

3,235 posts

Posted by paperplane2 > 2015-06-21 01:17 | Report Abuse

Gsb, gadang, elsoft, superln, hhgroup. Let's see who hit 100% first

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2015-06-21 06:55 | Report Abuse

Words of wisdom.

Posted by paperplane2 > Jun 21, 2015 01:16 AM | Report Abuse

Using margin will not help you double, triple! Good stock picking skill will!

Ooi Teik Bee

11,046 posts

Posted by Ooi Teik Bee > 2015-06-21 20:42 |

Post removed.Why?

Ooi Teik Bee

11,046 posts

Posted by Ooi Teik Bee > 2015-06-21 21:00 |

Post removed.Why?

F22Raptor

608 posts

Posted by F22Raptor > 2015-06-21 21:24 | Report Abuse

Both Mr Ooi and Mr Chong are excellent investors,however Mr Ooi definitely can stomach more risk when the opportunity arises.There is more than one right way to invest.
Since both of you have different risk profiles there is no point arguing any further whose method is best.
How do we compare a grade a orange with a grade a apple anyway?

Posted by Mongkokking > 2015-06-21 23:30 |

Post removed.Why?

Posted by Mongkokking > 2015-06-21 23:34 |

Post removed.Why?

Posted by Mongkokking > 2015-06-21 23:36 |

Post removed.Why?

Posted by Myojoking > 2015-06-21 23:42 |

Post removed.Why?

calvintaneng

53,254 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2015-06-21 23:51 | Report Abuse

Very good,

3 Claps to i3 Forum Team!

To all here!

Both KcChongNz & OTB are sharing differing views.

There is a lot you all can learn here. Please be respectful & keep to the presentation of convictions. Ultimately the best course of action will prevail. What is the ultimate truth? The ultimate good?
That all must decide carefully.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2015-06-22 02:38 | Report Abuse

Charles Munger on Arrogance

On the morning of the battle of Waterloo, Napoleon Bonaparte smugly assured his generals, “I tell you Wellington is a bad general, the English are bad soldiers; we will settle this matter by lunch time.” Don’t be blinded by arrogance. A little humility can help you steer clear of disaster.

Just before the Titanic was about to embark on its maiden journey in 1912, one passenger asked a ship’s agent for extra insurance on some valuables in her luggage. The agent replied, “Ridiculous. This boat’s unsinkable.”

Captain Smith himself was asked about the safety of the Titanic. He answered – “I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that.”

Then, after the ship had struck the iceberg, a passenger asked her employer if they should do something about it. He replied, “Go back to bed. This ship is unsinkable.”

In 1997, the KLSE go go years. The SBI ran up by 156% from 256 points in November 1995 to 656 points at the end of March 1997, in just 16 months.Soon after that, as a result of the Asian Financial Crisis which started in Thailand and spreading to other Asian countries, both the KLCI dropped by close to 60% in about just half a year. The markets did recover substantially by about 35% between one to three months. That was the most dangerous part, as those who thought Jaw 1 had ended without knowing the appearance of Jaw 2. The markets plummeted by another 60% in another half a year later when KLCI and SBI closed at 303 points and 77 points respectively on 28 August 1998.

http://klse.i3investor.com/blogs/kcchongnz/73675.jsp

These events repeated in the Dot Com Bubbles in 2001, and the US sub-prime housing Crisis in 2008.

Will it happen to the Shanghai Market with the euphoria going on? Of course not. This were the statement made 2 weeks ago, and Shanghai Index has dropped by 11% since then.

"You tell the investors in China now, using margin financing is very bad, I believe many investors will scold you that you are a stupid investor."

The same statement was made again yesterday.

"The Chinese investors will scold you stupid fool not to use margin account, otherwise, you will be laughing all the way to the bank."

And more statement

"I am sorry ... I repeat ... I am sorry to say that a small investor like you will not use margin account, it does not mean that big investors will not use margin account to win big. May be I had spoken to all big investors only. "

Sure, i am a small investor,and you are a big timer, no doubt about it. And you win big, congratulations!

But the issue we are debating about is

"Should one encourage the general public in a public forum like this to use margin finance in investing?"

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2015-06-26 18:21 | Report Abuse

HONG KONG (AP) -- Chinese stocks plunged on Friday as panicked investors rushed to sell over fears that an extended bull market was coming to an end. Other world benchmarks fell as a standoff between Greece and its international creditors threatened to drag into the weekend.

SHANGHAI SLUMP: After a sizzling rally that more than doubled Shanghai's benchmark index over the past year, investors are now heading for the exit. One factor appears to be authorities tightening rules on margin financing, which involves using borrowed money to buy stocks. The market's drop may also be exacerbated by the herd mentality of retail investors, who play an outsize role in China's markets, or by margin investors being forced to sell off to meet margin calls.

ANALYST INSIGHT: "Although I continue to be optimistic about the longer-term trend of the China markets, it's clear that we are in a sharp correction phase," said Bernard Aw of IG Markets in Singapore. He said up until Thursday, $1.2 trillion had been wiped off of China's equity markets since they peaked June 14 at $10 trillion.

ASIA SCORECARD: The Shanghai Composite Index in mainland China plunged 7.4 percent to close at 4,192.87, bringing its losses for the week to 12.4 percent. The smaller Shenzhen Composite Index tumbled 7.9 percent to 2,502.96. Hong Kong's Hang Seng dropped 1.8 percent to 26,663.87. Asian benchmarks outside of China were more muted.

Post a Comment
Market Buzz