Be the first to like this.

11 comment(s). Last comment by 3iii 2016-06-11 06:55

calvintaneng

53,265 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2016-05-12 23:05 | Report Abuse

Hi Guys

Long Term Value Investing Pays!

I bought UMW in 2004 at Rm2.40. I kept it for 12 years already.
Pm Corp as low 7.5 cts. Pm Corp just gave a nice 8 cts capital repayment.

Investing in Deep Value Shares rather than punting in the market is the way to go.

TheContrarian

8,715 posts

Posted by TheContrarian > 2016-05-12 23:53 | Report Abuse

Rip Van Winkle effect? It pays sometimes but sadly not all the time.

Julietzhu

30 posts

Posted by Julietzhu > 2016-05-13 10:11 | Report Abuse

Hi, Calvin. May I ask about MPHB that was recommended sometime ago. I m still holding....... Patiently . Thanks

calvintaneng

53,265 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2016-05-13 10:13 | Report Abuse

Posted by Julietzhu > May 13, 2016 10:11 AM | Report Abuse

Hi, Calvin. May I ask about MPHB that was recommended sometime ago. I m still holding....... Patiently . Thanks

Good morning Julie

Mphb is a great stock for longer term. It will be a sure winner. Just hold tight.

fung9815

41 posts

Posted by fung9815 > 2016-05-13 10:23 | Report Abuse

It is said of value investing that either you get it or you don’t. Much of value investing has to come from within and in many ways it has to be an extension of your life philosophy.

Warren wrote: “The very term ‘value investing’ is redundant. What is ‘investing’ if it is not the act of seeking value at least sufficient to justify the amount paid?"

Long-termism cannot be trained, it comes from blood, and (un)fortunately most people don't buy it. People often look for ways to generate, say, 2% return per month, but not many people actually try to think on how to generate 72% return in 3 years, when both actually deliver the same results.

They say information technology makes value investing more difficult, I say it will become more difficult when most Wall Street analysts starting to ignore quarterly results and focus on long term strategy. Fortunately for the value investors, this day will never come.

calvintaneng

53,265 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2016-05-13 10:32 | Report Abuse

Fung9815

To me Value Investing got these positive factors

1) Buy low sell high basically rest on the idea of Value. When things are low in price they present us an opportunity.

2) Since we buy near rock bottom pricing there is little fear of big loss. Those who chased export furniture stocks at peak have lost 20% to 30%. Those who chase speculative balloon stocks have lost even more between 60% to 90% of their capital

So Buying Deep Value Stocks will generate the greatest gain and minimize any losses. For here time is the essence. So Value investing is only for a small group of self disciplined investors. And this 20% made profit from the losses of the other 80% who are ill disciplined

fung9815

41 posts

Posted by fung9815 > 2016-05-13 13:53 | Report Abuse

Calvin,

Agree with everything you said. The thing I like the most about value investing is: you can have 10 value investors in a room and you get 10 different investing approaches/philosophies, and yet all of 'em are profitable and make a lot of sense.

Still, like you said, 80% of the population would disagree with them.

That's why, I love talking to value investors. You get to learn all sorts of wisdom, but you don't get to find them easily.

Julietzhu

30 posts

Posted by Julietzhu > 2016-05-16 20:44 | Report Abuse

Thanks Calvin. U take good care n feels good to hear from u.

sting79

754 posts

Posted by sting79 > 2016-06-11 00:00 | Report Abuse

Hello Calvin, hope you still remember me over in UEMS. Over the past 1 year plus been reading your motivational posts, and not buying anything since stuck all in Trive and now almost out. With my capital back on hand, you have been my role model in changing my entire mindset about investment. Long term investing, diversified portfolio with many stocks, undervalued and with high NTA, resilient business, beat down stocks, and my own defensive mechanism. Just want to drop by and say thanks.

Talk to you again in another year.

Posted by warrantlover > 2016-06-11 05:54 | Report Abuse

Value investing is not a good news to broker house. Less transaction lead to less revenue for them :D

3iii

12,805 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2016-06-11 06:55 | Report Abuse

<< Posted by calvintaneng > May 12, 2016 11:05 PM | Report Abuse

Hi Guys

Long Term Value Investing Pays!

I bought UMW in 2004 at Rm2.40. I kept it for 12 years already.
Pm Corp as low 7.5 cts. Pm Corp just gave a nice 8 cts capital repayment.

Investing in Deep Value Shares rather than punting in the market is the way to go.>>>

When do you sell, if at all? :-0

Post a Comment
Market Buzz