41 comment(s). Last comment by AzerothJr 2016-06-13 19:36

choop818

689 posts

Posted by choop818 > 2016-06-09 22:30 | Report Abuse

Also like.

inorder

65 posts

Posted by inorder > 2016-06-09 22:35 | Report Abuse

if singapore is so bad why the fock you migrate there?

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2016-06-09 22:45 | Report Abuse

Posted by inorder > Jun 9, 2016 10:35 PM | Report Abuse

if singapore is so bad why the fock you migrate there?

CALVIN REPLIES,

THERE ARE 3 MAIN REASONS I CHOSE TO LIVE IN SINGAPORE

1) I WANT MY CHILDREN TO LEARN ENGLISH. ALL OF THEM DID VERY WELL. ONE IS NOW A DOCTOR.

2) I WANT SAFETY FOR MY FAMILY. IN SINGAPORE I DON'T EVEN NEED TO BRING MY I/C WHEN TRAVELING AROUND. I CAN GO OUT JOGGING EVEN AT 2.00 AM WITHOUT ANY FEAR OF ROBBERS.

3) I TREASURE THE VERY HONEST GOVERNMENT OF SINGAPORE. HERE IS THE REASON WHY SINGAPORE DOLLAR IS SO STRONG. ACTUALLY IF I COULD I WANT RINGGIT TO BE STRONG.

rosetan

944 posts

Posted by rosetan > 2016-06-09 22:50 | Report Abuse

You didn't mention how much Singaporeans earn compared to Malaysians! Prices of cars are cheap or not depend on how much you earn! Why do you think so many Malaysians are working in Singapore? Including you?

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2016-06-09 23:01 | Report Abuse

Posted by rosetan > Jun 9, 2016 10:50 PM | Report Abuse

You didn't mention how much Singaporeans earn compared to Malaysians! Prices of cars are cheap or not depend on how much you earn! Why do you think so many Malaysians are working in Singapore? Including you?

YES, SINGAPOREANS ARE A LUCKY LOT. THE GOVT OF SINGAPORE CREATES A MERITOCRATIC SYSTEM FOR ALL HERE WHO ARE WILLING TO WORK HARD AND WORK SMART. HOWEVER, DUE TO ITS SAFE HAVEN STATUS THE SUPER RICH HAVE ALSO CALLED SINGAPORE HOME. AS SUCH THE COST OF HOUSING (PRIVATE) HAS GONE BEYOND THE REACH OF THE AVERAGE SINGAPOREAN.

IF YOU TAKE A CAREFUL LOOK AT HDB FLATS YOU WILL NOTICE THAT THEY USE ALPHA TILES (ALPHA TILES ARE AMONG THE CHEAPEST IN JOHOR)

SO THINGS ARE EXPENSIVE IN SINGAPORE BUT QUALITY? NOT NECESSARILY.

IN MANY INSTANCES SINGAPORE IS GETTING MORE AND MORE STRESSFUL LIKE JAPAN AND HONGKONG.

I THINK WITH ISKANDAR IMPROVING IN SECURITY THE DAY MIGHT COME WHEN MY FAMILY WILL SHIFT AND LIVE IN ISKANDAR.

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2016-06-09 23:21 | Report Abuse

Posted by Fortunebullx > Jun 9, 2016 11:11 PM | Report Abuse

If you don't care about your image, then Malaysia has plenty of cheap used cars! For only 5K you can own kancil and travel! But I don't know why Malaysians are so self conscious about their image! And mind you, Malaysians are so fond of changing their cars and complain cost of living to be high!

EXACTLY,

THIS ONE TAKES THE BULL BY THE HORN. YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

A CAR IS A USEFUL SERVANT BUT A BAD MASTER.

I ONLY BOUGHT PROTONS BECAUSE THEY GIVE VALUE. IN SINGAPORE I BOUGHT NISSAN, SUZUKI & KIA CAREN FOR THE SAME REASON.

IN YEAR 2005 I NEEDED AN MPV TO BRING MY FAMILY & MY IN LAWS TO CHURCH . SO I NEEDED A 7 SEATERS MPV. AND KIA CAREN AT S$72,000 WAS THE CHEAPEST THEN. A TOYOTA MPV WOULD BE ANYWHERE NEAR S$100,000 THEN.

IN THE END ALL CARS WILL BE SCRAPPED AFTER 10 YEARS IN SINGAPORE.

IF A CAR CAN GET US SAFELY FROM POINT A TO POINT B - THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH.

WHILE CARS DEPRECIATE PROPERTIES APPRECIATE IN VALUE OVER TIME.

SO WE SHOULD ECONOMIZE BY BUYING THE MOST ECONOMICAL CARS. AND WITH THE SAVINGS WE SHOULD INVEST THEM IN RENTAL GENERATING PROPERTIES OR DIVIDEND PAYING STOCKS.

THAT IS THE ONLY WAY TO ACCUMULATE AND BUILD LASTING WEALTH

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2016-06-09 23:27 | Report Abuse

Fortunebullx

If you lucky, you can even find used cars that are hardly used! I know a friend who bought 5 years old Honda Civic whose previous owner rarely used, only park in covered condo car park gathering dust! With only 10,000km on the speedometer, it's as good as new!
09/06/2016 23:24

YES!

I AM LOOKING TO BUY A PROTON EXORA 1.6 (A) 2012/13/14 TURBO

ANYONE GOT A GOOD 2ND HAND ONE TO SELL CAN CONTACT ME AT 0146101668?

I WILL PAY HIGHER THAN NORMAL IF GOT ANY. THANKS

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2016-06-09 23:35 | Report Abuse

Posted by Fortunebullx > Jun 9, 2016 11:32 PM | Report Abuse

Proton Exora! You are buying a lemon! You better buy Perodua Alza or Toyota Avanza! You can even replace Toyota Avanza engine into Alza! In fact it's the same engine!

YES, I ALREADY GOT TOYOTA AVANZA. SO I AM LOOKING FOR A PROTON EXORA AS AN ALTERNATIVE SPARE ONE.

Apollo Ang

3,181 posts

Posted by Apollo Ang > 2016-06-10 00:30 | Report Abuse

what are u doing in spore can buy so many cars? in msia i invested in bursa until i can afford to sit on lousy proton for the last 20 years

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2016-06-10 00:31 | Report Abuse

Fortunebullx Proton was initially a very successfully copycat company with healthy book! Until Mahathir insist proton to develop own model! Each car model eat up few billion! Beside fail models, Proton also suffer quality issues due to cronies supplying inferior parts! Proton is a gone case! My guess is government will force Perodua and Proton to merge while stripping Proton valuable assets!
10/06/2016 00:26

bULLZ

I THINK BETTER NOT. IF THEY MERGE PERODUA WILL RAISE ALZA PRICE OVER RM60,000 FOR SURE. SO LET THEM COMPETE. ALZA IS STILL KEEPING TO ITS PRICE AROUND RM55,000 NOW.

THE COMPETITION BETWEEN PROTON AND PERODUA WILL KEEP CAR PRICES CHEAP FOR THE RAKYAT JUST LIKE TELCOS FIGHTING HAS BROUGHT DOWN OUR PHONE BILLS

GOOD NIGHT

ZZZZzzzzzz,,,,.....

paperplane2016

21,540 posts

Posted by paperplane2016 > 2016-06-10 00:38 | Report Abuse

When electronic car come, many car manufacturing can close shop. I did not see any new factory, capacity now at direction of tht in local. Their time are destinied

FayeTan

374 posts

Posted by FayeTan > 2016-06-10 08:29 | Report Abuse

Calvin, Malaysian don't have alternative bcos the public transport system sucks. Only in KL and Klang Valley you can depend on Monorail, LRT + Monorail.

And do you know usually how many years loan people take to pay for the car? It's 9 years... it's ALMOST A LOST DECADE just to own a car

Koon Bee

987 posts

Posted by Koon Bee > 2016-06-10 08:38 | Report Abuse

This Calvin is a joker talking nonsense all the time...NAH!!

JN88

11,670 posts

Posted by JN88 > 2016-06-10 08:38 | Report Abuse

THERE ARE 3 MAIN REASONS I CHOOSE TO LIVE IN MALAYSIA

1) I WANT MY CHILDREN TO LEARN ENGLISH THEMSELVES. ALL OF THEM DID SURVIVE VERY WELL EVEN IN THIS KIND OF CONDITION. ONE IS NOW A DOCTOR.

2) I WANT THEY LEARN HOW TO PROTECT THEMSELVES AT ANYPLACE AND ANYTIME. IN MALAYSIA, AFTER THEY HAVE THIS SKILL. THEY CAN GO OUT JOGGING EVEN AT 5.00 AM WITHOUT ANY FEAR OF ROBBERS. THIS SKILL ALLOW THEM ABLE TO SURVIVE EVEN IN JUNGLE.

3) I TREASURE THE VERY HONEST GOVERNMENT OF MALAYSIA. HERE IS THE REASON WHY EVERY MALAYSIAN ABLE TO SURVIVE EVEN SINGAPORE DOLLAR IS SO STRONG. ACTUALLY IF I COULD I WANT RINGGIT TO BE WEAKER.

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2016-06-10 08:51 | Report Abuse

Posted by FayeTan > Jun 10, 2016 08:29 AM | Report Abuse

Calvin, Malaysian don't have alternative bcos the public transport system sucks. Only in KL and Klang Valley you can depend on Monorail, LRT + Monorail.

And do you know usually how many years loan people take to pay for the car? It's 9 years... it's ALMOST A LOST DECADE just to own a car

Yes, since a car is a depreciating asset, just buy the most economical but useful ones. It is both a luxury and necessity in Malaysia.

Luxury because we can travel anywhere and at anytime. Necessity because public transport does not cover all areas like Singapore.

fangyew

129 posts

Posted by fangyew > 2016-06-10 09:29 | Report Abuse

Very Good Calvin

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2016-06-10 09:31 | Report Abuse

fangyew

Very Good Calvin
10/06/2016 09:29

THANK YOU. YOU MAKE MY DAY!!

Now I am going to Booming Iskandar.

See all later

oohlala

112 posts

Posted by oohlala > 2016-06-10 09:45 | Report Abuse

I think Calvin you ignore the fact that you are earning singapore dollar. you cannot convert to RM for the losses. All the example given were small or budget car. Try to do the math using Merc or BMW. Once again, do not convert.

AzerothJr

649 posts

Posted by AzerothJr > 2016-06-10 10:31 | Report Abuse

If you can afford Merc or BMW then don't bother about the lost money.
If you are in the upper class category you have to remember the image / dignity you get from those cars actually cost you money, then it will make you feel better and the money is worth paying for the image people look onto you.
We all know cars is not an asset class, however sometimes you can gain from buy/sell car (but that is not the question here).
So there is no need to compare low cost and high cost class cars.

Actually what he says is true, we are indeed very lucky that we can at the same time afford both cars and house in Malaysia with income bracket of rm5000. I mean possible to afford cars if you are able to do wise financial planning.
You can only afford one of them with a SGD 5000 income(either a house or car in SG).
So we need to learn to be grateful sometimes.
Its not always about the bad things that we need to complaint, sometimes we are actually way better then others but still we need to complaint. I mean try to put your shoe on the other side and you might feel more grateful at times.

Posted by shareinvestor88 > 2016-06-10 11:24 | Report Abuse

Dear calvin good article.

skyz

1,650 posts

Posted by skyz > 2016-06-10 11:30 | Report Abuse

perhaps it would be a fairer if the comparison is made during the same era and also minus the conversion to give a false magnification of the losses.

azfar8

891 posts

Posted by azfar8 > 2016-06-10 11:36 | Report Abuse

After I read what Calvin wrote, nah, it was a good article to read, nicely done.

hankc

182 posts

Posted by hankc > 2016-06-10 12:25 | Report Abuse

Singaporeans will still live in Singapore. Unlike us, they are proud of their country, not to mention it is much safer there.

dami

57 posts

Posted by dami > 2016-06-10 13:00 | Report Abuse

calvin please dont come back to malaysia. We have enough crazy people here.
Please continue to make a million losses I Singapore.

rainbowyen

363 posts

Posted by rainbowyen > 2016-06-10 13:16 | Report Abuse

Of course most Singaporean proud of their country but some are not….this is the real Singaporean who make a living in Johor... If fact some is moving their family in Johor area and yet still maintain their citizenship… I notice quite a number of Singaporean attend AGM in my area recently….it depend on what you want in your life…. Whether risk or not, it not an issue… in fact most Singaporean visit johor almost everyday or weekend for shopping and eating…. Even make Malaysia as their permanent address like my next malay neighbor….also my Chinese neighbor family is from Singapore….every weekend, will see this family come back here… so in future, if more train and buses link Singapore and johor, then more singaporean sure will be moving to johor... the choice is for them to decide…..

rainbowyen

363 posts

Posted by rainbowyen > 2016-06-10 13:31 | Report Abuse

calvin, the choice is yours… what is the million losses mean to you?
if you want to take a risk, I think million losses mean nothing to you…
For a very educated person like you, Singapore should be a good place for you..
So nothing to complain and compared...Live happily like what you always preach to us...

Koon Bee

987 posts

Posted by Koon Bee > 2016-06-10 13:35 | Report Abuse

This Calvin like ayam...every day kok kok kok non stop

rainbowyen

363 posts

Posted by rainbowyen > 2016-06-10 13:59 | Report Abuse

From what I read from the article, Calvin is very educated, rich and wealthy person. If he can afford to buy and change so many cars in Malaysia and Singapore, then it is not an issue for him….. He can afford to buy properties in Malaysia and Singapore some more… that’s mean he is damp very rich…
@Calvin, please don’t complain and compared if you happy with your life in Singapore….you should cherish your wealthy lifestyle okay..... you preach about happiness, so you should embrace it also…

Posted by Jonathan Keung > 2016-06-10 14:52 | Report Abuse

car is a luxury. you can buy or opt for public transport. it's choice (option) we choose ourselves. any FP will tell you what's good debt and bad debt ( i dont think i need to repeat )

comparing car prices between different era is like comparing of our ex's . you need to factor the earning power at that point of time and NOT using a standard variant . you must calculate the prevailing rate of prices between the popoular car model and their resale value.

i always tell people if you can afford a BMW why complain about the road tax. if you want a model to be gf (why complain about high mainteance ) My apology to any ladies reading this

i4investor

2,797 posts

Posted by i4investor > 2016-06-10 15:30 | Report Abuse

KYY why not u complain VW which got so many scandal...Calvin...ur writing is not good at all...is damp damp so good... :)
this is always human behavior...see other ppl better...see other ppl moon larger...see other ppl sun bigger...but never treasure what we hv
so many ppl out there struggle to survive from war...struggle to has a full stomach...struggle from dead from sickness...
KYY struggle on nothing...
about 80...why still cannot relax...take it easy...heaven or hell is waiting...

Posted by helloworld123 > 2016-06-10 15:32 | Report Abuse

proton is a sink hole with no bottom!

540 posts

Posted by 914601117 > 2016-06-10 15:49 | Report Abuse

China will be very advanced in 15 years time. Even KL cannot match up their 3rd tier cities.

Blacksails

762 posts

Posted by Blacksails > 2016-06-10 17:37 | Report Abuse

Classic example of Manhattan and Brooklyn as in Singapore and Johore, ya?

malaysiaku

583 posts

Posted by malaysiaku > 2016-06-10 18:14 | Report Abuse

Baru lepas balik dari kerja…terus pasang komputer…. tunggu waktu berbuka puasa….
What up this topic from Calvin Tan article...”SEE How Singaporeans Suffer “
Calvin, walau eh… you complain tak ada pangkal tiada penghujung.
Hargai apa yang ada….Ada orang tak ada kereta, rumah besar dan kerjaya macam kamu…
Pun mereka tak merana macam kamu, Calvin…
Jadi janganlah stress sangat pasal kebendaan di dunia dan akhirat….
Topic rencana dari calvin agak lucu….”Tengok bagaimana orang singapura menderita”.
Sure or not, calvin??? Maksud kamu kalau tak mampu beli kereta, orang singapura menderita??? Geli rasa....hehehe…

malaysiaku

583 posts

Posted by malaysiaku > 2016-06-10 18:39 | Report Abuse

@Calvin….KYY itu orang kaya… Jadi janganlah nak disamakan kita orang biasa di malaysia dengan KYY....Tycoon kyy mesti selalu complain sebab orang ini tak puas hati dalam hidupnya...Sudah kaya, tapi tak cukup kaya… masih mahu kaya lagi….. kalau boleh nak jadi macam warren buffet.

rainbowyen

363 posts

Posted by rainbowyen > 2016-06-10 20:10 | Report Abuse

Calvin, are you short of idea to write on plantation and properties in Malaysia?
Die die must write something…..even not related to investing…...
When is your next article on plantation/properties???...since you already promoted to sifu already from your master sifu in JB.

540 posts

Posted by 914601117 > 2016-06-10 22:01 | Report Abuse

Singapore is way too much better!!!
1.Company cars would have good CA deducted from tax
2.High standard especially education, public healthcare
3.Good public transport
4.Clean and advanced city
5.Less crime
6."Importable" items are much cheaper

If Malaysia is so good, nobody want to work in Singapore and get PR and you can see many SIngaporean get "PR" in Malaysia..

Of course, sometimes a little things are better in Malaysia and Calvin has spoken!!

inorder

65 posts

Posted by inorder > 2016-06-11 17:44 | Report Abuse

1) I WANT MY CHILDREN TO LEARN ENGLISH. ALL OF THEM DID VERY WELL. ONE IS NOW A DOCTOR. -------- you need not to be in singapore to learn english. I sent my kids to british council to learn english in KL and they are doctors and qualified consultants. THIS IS A BAD REASON FOR MIGRATING.

2) I WANT SAFETY FOR MY FAMILY. IN SINGAPORE I DON'T EVEN NEED TO BRING MY I/C WHEN TRAVELING AROUND. I CAN GO OUT JOGGING EVEN AT 2.00 AM WITHOUT ANY FEAR OF ROBBERS.----THIS IS ANOTHER BAD REASON FOR MIGRATING---crimes happened everywhere, even in singapore.

3) I TREASURE THE VERY HONEST GOVERNMENT OF SINGAPORE. HERE IS THE REASON WHY SINGAPORE DOLLAR IS SO STRONG. ACTUALLY IF I COULD I WANT RINGGIT TO BE STRONG. THIS MAYBE A GOOD REASON TO MIGRATE.

inorder

65 posts

Posted by inorder > 2016-06-11 17:46 | Report Abuse

Actually Singlish are as bad as Manglish.

andychucky28

1,600 posts

Posted by andychucky28 > 2016-06-12 12:54 | Report Abuse

Haha what Calvin means that malaysia got a lot of babarians like Jamal the babadoom which will threaten his life.

AzerothJr

649 posts

Posted by AzerothJr > 2016-06-13 19:36 | Report Abuse

But the government of Malaysia is the one that breeds brain drain.
Frankly speaking if you are capable its perfectly normal to not love the country.
I mean not love as in we are willing to give it up as long as the pay / life is better out there sometimes even at the expense of giving up family, friends and neighbors.
Of course this is not true for everyone.
But if someone were to offer you the same salary in SG as in MY would you not consider it? Basically any savings is equal x 3 back here.
I don't say we will all end up giving up the citizenship but majority tend to after awhile especially with the sad end of the story where some of the people were being treated as 2nd / 3rd class citizens.
I can say nowadays many parents were hoping if the kids can do well oversea then let them stay there. There is no need to be back home all suffering together.
I can't say that Malaysia is bad but there are better place that of course is not so comfortable. If you want more money then learn to accept also more stress. That is the reality of life.
There is nothing in this world that comes without effort.
If you do get something without putting in effort then learn to be grateful but that comes with some side effect as well. It tends to make one lazy because you are in a comfort zone.

Post a Comment
Market Buzz