Be the first to like this.

4 comment(s). Last comment by Abraham David 2016-08-25 18:23

calvintaneng

53,399 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2016-08-19 00:40 | Report Abuse

I remember YTL Cement well. In fact I bought all the cement companies in those times. YTL Cement at Rm2.40, Tasek Cement at Rm2.90, CMSB at Rm2.20, CIMA at Rm2.50, Lafarge at at 66 cts before it consolidated. Last is Gopeng which owned 1/3 Hajoong Cement which was later sold to YTL Cement.

YTL took Ytl Cement private as promised. UEM also took CIMA private. However, Tasek was supposed to be taken private at Rm3.80. They didn't!! Tasek later surged past Rm16.00. Lafarge & CMSB also rose up to be Blue Chips later over Rm10.00

If YTL-Cement listing is maintained it should also be a Blue Chip today like all the rest.

Investing in Cement Companies before they shoot up gave me fond memories. So nostalgic indeed.

moneySIFU

5,849 posts

Posted by moneySIFU > 2016-08-19 02:16 | Report Abuse

Thank you for sharing, Calvin.

joelim17

31 posts

Posted by joelim17 > 2016-08-19 11:06 | Report Abuse

Recall that when the offer was made in late 2011, YTL Cement's minority shareholders had also voiced thier displeasure over the offer price. They were only offered a nominal premium and YTL Corp shares instead of cash. While it is not clear what the prospects are for YTL e-Solutions, in hindsight, it is clear that YTL Corp's shareholders benefited from the privatisation of YTL Cement.

The company was taken private just as the constuction boom began. Its revenue has incresed 24.2% while profit before tax has risen 25.6%.

In contrast, the total return for investing in YTL Corp over the same period has only been 19.5% assuming dividends were reinvested in the stock. This is not too shabby but substantially lower than the 25.6% earnings growth YTL Cement has enjoyed. This also does not take into account the 2.92% dividend yield thatYTL Cement was paying when it was privatised.

Assuming the dividend payments remainded unchanged, conservative back-of-the-envolope calculations show that the YTL Cement's return to shareholders would have been 36% if it had not been privatised. The assumes YTL Cement's PER remainded unchanged at 9.2 times. In contrast, fellow cement-maker Lafarge Malaysia Bhd is currently trading at PER of over 30 times.

Still, if history is anyting to go by, YTL Corp is likely to get its own way. This time around, it only needs to acquire 25.88% of YTL e-Solutions' outstanding shares compared with YTL Cement's 47.22% back then.

http://www.theedgemarkets.com/en/node/295784

Posted by Abraham David > 2016-08-25 18:23 | Report Abuse

History is repeating again. What happened to the minority shareholders to YTL cement is now faced by YTLE. I wonder why MSG who is supposed to look after minority share holders is playing a mute game.Big boys are all the time out there with their hands outstretched to hit you down. Why is SC and Bursa allowing such games.

Post a Comment
Market Buzz