2 people like this.

28 comment(s). Last comment by hoyt 2012-06-12 21:45

jacklew

499 posts

Posted by jacklew > 2012-06-12 14:28 | Report Abuse

Agreed. It is not as simple/easy as newbies think of. I.e, I started 9 months ago and paid heavily in the first 6 months for not doing my homework. However, I was lucky to have it break even now in my portfolio. Look forward to a more positive trading in near future :-)

Posted by fadil maaris > 2012-06-12 14:36 | Report Abuse

yes bro i m also newbie in trading last 8 month im lost but not so heavy, can we share how u going on trade i m blurr, n what ossilator re best in doing trade?

eagleis

146 posts

Posted by eagleis > 2012-06-12 14:37 | Report Abuse

jack, talk to old hands and buy them good dinner and red wine, the money is well spent. i read investment books and talk to those who have made tonnes of money before venturing.

eagleis

146 posts

Posted by eagleis > 2012-06-12 14:38 | Report Abuse

talk to ah hooi n he'll ask u to concentrate on padini, focus investment is the name of the game just buy 1 counter. haha

euclid

85 posts

Posted by euclid > 2012-06-12 14:39 | Report Abuse

Not easy, and more stressful than long term investing.

jacklew

499 posts

Posted by jacklew > 2012-06-12 14:42 | Report Abuse

Padini is a good stock, but the price doesn't looks attractive now.

eagleis

146 posts

Posted by eagleis > 2012-06-12 14:44 | Report Abuse

keep buying like ah hooi, what's wrong with that, and after buying, tell the whole world, or go to the jungle and yell so that all the monkeys will know about your purchase

jacklew

499 posts

Posted by jacklew > 2012-06-12 14:45 | Report Abuse

I have yet to buy any investment book, but opted to read those basic trading rules online....I learnt from my lesson and started to read company's annual report, news, announcement and set my own strategy in trading. Patient would be the key factor in any trading.

jacklew

499 posts

Posted by jacklew > 2012-06-12 15:21 | Report Abuse

eagleis, let it be, he must have done his homework on Padini :-)

euclid

85 posts

Posted by euclid > 2012-06-12 15:29 | Report Abuse

@jacklew,
I think you have confused trading with investing...

jacklew

499 posts

Posted by jacklew > 2012-06-12 15:33 | Report Abuse

euclid, i do investing and if it reaches my target earlier, i do trade :-)

CP TEH

374 posts

Posted by CP TEH > 2012-06-12 15:36 | Report Abuse

Hi all

Please KEEP the thread focus in sharing about :-

1. Is trading easy? If yes, how? If not, why?
2. What are common mistakes newbies done and how to advise them?
3. What do you think of those trading courses, those advertisments claiming that they could catch a breakouk etc etc?
4. What is your trading strategies that work and do not work? Mind sharing?
5. add in those questions to make the thread worth reading. Being focus and continue to learn is one of the MOST important thing in trading.

Thanks

TEH

jacklew

499 posts

Posted by jacklew > 2012-06-12 15:39 | Report Abuse

ie, i'm still holding hapseng, which is my first counter in investing. I think this counter is worth for holding in long term. I sold Axiata in 2 months as it reaches my preset target earlier. Trading is part of investing, right? :-)

jacklew

499 posts

Posted by jacklew > 2012-06-12 15:45 | Report Abuse

Teh, thanks for tuning back. See below my comments:
1) Trading is not easy. It requires a lot of time, efforts and resources $$$.
2. Common mistake: Influenced by "somebody" with hidden agenda. Emotional : tends to sell when see the price going down; usually buy high sell low.
3. Trading courses: some good, some waste of money.
4. Set your target, be patient, don't get emotional when price down. DO NOT show your frustration to your family when making a loss.

Posted by lam622622622 > 2012-06-12 16:00 | Report Abuse

Good question and good answer.It will be wonderful If I have 1/2 the knowledge like you people then I WOULD NOT LOSING money all the time.

jacklew

499 posts

Posted by jacklew > 2012-06-12 16:20 | Report Abuse

lam, it is never too late to learn the knowledge. Just treat the money loss as tuition fee :-)

euclid

85 posts

Posted by euclid > 2012-06-12 16:28 | Report Abuse

In response to TEH's questions:
1) Trading is not easy, as I couldn't get it right each time. In the instances I did get it right, my return was minimal.

2) We can't advise newbies. They won't believe us until they get burnt. (Heck, that's my own experience!)

3) Trading courses - If the lecturers aren't millionaires, I doubt how useful their courses are.

4) Trading strategies - nothing worth sharing. I now try long-term investing instead.

richman

10,110 posts

Posted by richman > 2012-06-12 16:35 | Report Abuse

if they allow us to short this mkt trading will be better and mkt volume and participation will increase

tptan45

388 posts

Posted by tptan45 > 2012-06-12 17:00 | Report Abuse

Investing is easy. We make it difficult for ourselves.

We tried to guess where Europe is headed, what the politicians are trying to do, how the Dow is doing, and of course when Ah Jib is calling for polls (sssshh.. it will in in 2013..). We look at the charts and tried to find meanings to the lines and colors.
Take all these away and focus on what you are investing. Just ask, are you going to put your hard earned money in that company?

In investing, you don't have to do anything most of the time. It is that easy. So easy that you better find another 2nd job, otherwise you will be bored to death.

Posted by TokanCorner > 2012-06-12 17:12 | Report Abuse

Hi all

My Answer :-

1. Is trading easy? If yes, how? If not, why? ~ It will become hard when we dont do our homework 1 and dont have a plan where to buy ... when to sell .. and why did i buy it.
2. What are common mistakes newbies done and how to advise them? ~ Common thing is when in profitable always cash it quickly and when in losses hold it huat huat / when in profiting never average down but when loosing always averaging it down.
3. What do you think of those trading courses, those advertisments claiming that they could catch a breakouk etc etc? ~ Dunno bout it ... still for me can attend for enrichment for knowledge
4. What is your trading strategies that work and do not work? Mind sharing? Box Method and Stacking Method
5. add in those questions to make the thread worth reading. Being focus and continue to learn is one of the MOST important thing in trading. ~ True

Thanks

TC ( Tokan Corner ) @ http://tokancorner.com/

Posted by Fat Cat Tim Buddy > 2012-06-12 17:32 | Report Abuse

investing is easy, just keep it simple silly ( kiss )

trading on the other hand is hard, either you trap people, or you get yourself trap.

but trading on a fundamental company, even getting trap , you can still feel comfortable.

Posted by Jolly Mypet > 2012-06-12 18:10 | Report Abuse

what do you mean trap ? are you so mean as to trap people ?

Posted by baramundi80 > 2012-06-12 18:59 | Report Abuse

there are many of those type in this forum...both type - those like to trap people and those easily got trapped.

Antz78

36 posts

Posted by Antz78 > 2012-06-12 19:15 | Report Abuse

Hi, this is how I relate to the queries...
1. Is trading easy? If yes, how? If not, why?
A definite NO... Always no idea of correct entry price and even worst, did not exit when gain.. Don't know how to identify potential stock to trade.
2. What are common mistakes newbies done and how to advise them?
Did not do homework before jumping in. Trying to catch the hottest stock of the day and in the end, always buy high/sell low... I have pretty good experinces with this one.. So eager to jump in when seeing the price/volume keep "blinking" in the trading platform. Advise? May try dummy trading first to see if you get it right..
3. What do you think of those trading courses, those advertisments claiming that they could catch a breakouk etc etc?
Hmmm.. actually tempted to attend some of it but did not do it in the end cos schedule was not suitable. Anyway, I feel these courses do not guarantee that you will become a successful trader but it is more of the experiences you gain once you are in the game... You gain from experiences, just don't make it an expensive one...Btw, knowledge is power, so no harm attending to gain some BUT don't expect much lor...
4. What is your trading strategies that work and do not work? Mind sharing?
I just try to read the info posted in the forum and then research it, before deciding whether to trade it or not. Looking at TA charts too.
5. add in those questions to make the thread worth reading. Being focus and continue to learn is one of the MOST important thing in trading.... Learning is a journey, not a destination... ;p

kl foong

421 posts

Posted by kl foong > 2012-06-12 19:18 | Report Abuse

In trading, one has to be smart and don't got trapped.
Once trapped...lose money.

Posted by Namoyaki Takarajima > 2012-06-12 20:34 | Report Abuse

:)

Posted by Jolly Mypet > 2012-06-12 20:56 | Report Abuse

hello antz78 everybody experienced the same thing like you,you are not alone in this life long journey.so take heart cheers !

hoyt

92 posts

Posted by hoyt > 2012-06-12 21:45 | Report Abuse

Well said FCTB. Even If no cap gain at least hv dividend.
Eg. TM and PetGas

Post a Comment
Market Buzz