1 person likes this.

16 comment(s). Last comment by leno 2014-05-12 16:56

eftee

1,210 posts

Posted by eftee > 2014-05-05 12:52 | Report Abuse

Depends on how old you are. More of breathing exercise as you will it more tiring with thinner air. Remember to bring along strap-on sandals on your way down (Nobody advised me on that last time)

fistball

40 posts

Posted by fistball > 2014-05-05 13:18 | Report Abuse

bring your will

DANIELSKS

222 posts

Posted by DANIELSKS > 2014-05-05 14:16 | Report Abuse

I just returned from my climb up the said mountain about a month ago. It was by far the toughest thing I have ever attempted in my life. I don't think you really need any special training for the climb. You just need to be reasonably fit and have the desire and the determination. I am almost 60 but exercises regularly. Before the climb I went about my usual weekly routine which consist of one day of 45 minutes jogging and three days of trekking about 35 minutes up the hill. And pray for dry weather.

leno

6,123 posts

Posted by leno > 2014-05-05 14:31 |

Post removed.Why?

DANIELSKS

222 posts

Posted by DANIELSKS > 2014-05-05 14:47 | Report Abuse

Leno, I wrote "my usual weekly routine which consist of one day of 45 minutes jogging and three days of trekking.....", which means once a week, not every day jogging. That is my weekly routine so I don't consider that as special training as I was not doing anything differently. The first stage up Mount KK using the 7km route takes about 7 to 9 hours to reach the rest house, so would you consider a 35 minutes trek as special training?

leno

6,123 posts

Posted by leno > 2014-05-05 14:53 | Report Abuse

oh ... i read too fast, u know lar .. i am getting exciting with each day mar ... my routine is doin 4 km run in less than 20 min ... but start to cut down my run to 2 km daily and increase my staircase climb .. which is GRUESOME ! Weatherwise my fren said (who went 4 times alredi) .. no escape from raining. I believe eftee suffer from shoes too tight, that's why he recommend the open sandal. Anyway, i have tried my trail shoes over bako hill ... no problem on running down hill.

alexyap

258 posts

Posted by alexyap > 2014-05-05 15:27 | Report Abuse

when I went, rain all the way. shoe--> bad idea. Strap on sandals or whatever sandals made of rubber, where u can buy downhill--> awesome. more grip, less heavy during rainy days.

leno

6,123 posts

Posted by leno > 2014-05-05 15:31 | Report Abuse

i am goin to use my columbia trail "waterproof" shoes. I also bought a waterproof pants, and waterproof jacket. Hope they will help. I might get a standby rubber "boling" sandal for my kid. He doesn't have the waterproof shoes.

fistball

40 posts

Posted by fistball > 2014-05-05 15:48 | Report Abuse

a decent level of fitness is good enuf. problem with mountain climbing is endurance, u need to endure the coolness, u need to endure the hunger, u need to endure the weight of your backpack, u need to endure the fatigueness,and most important of all u need to endure the thought of giving up which will be constantly remindind you at the back of ur head, happy climbing.

I ve done KK, i ve done Rinjani in lombok ( a live volcanoe which is breathtaking ), and i plan to do EVEREST basecamp.....the world is too big to miss, and mountain too high to climb...

fistball

40 posts

Posted by fistball > 2014-05-05 15:49 | Report Abuse

one good tip for u.

wear a tight fitting polyster which grips ur body, so that u can loose ur sweat as fast as u can in a cold weather, if not, u will be trapping heat inside ur wind breaker which is not a pleasant thing to do.

leno

6,123 posts

Posted by leno > 2014-05-05 15:54 | Report Abuse

fistball > i am goin to train hard for Mt. Kinabalu ... so that when i reach the top, i still have enough energy to enjoy the scene. I don't want to feel so tired until i can't think anything else but breath .. breath .. breath. And i will probably goin for my first half marathon next year, and yes ... EVEREST. If u reach Everest, don't forget to mention codeword : LENO-PANLAI when u meet anyone handsome hor ... who knows ? See ya' there !

leno

6,123 posts

Posted by leno > 2014-05-05 15:59 | Report Abuse

fistball > i am using a columbia baselayer which claim can wick sweat. I am 56 kg, Ht 1.69 cm ... which is thin and very scared of COLD. Trapping heat will be a bonus (i hope) to me.

June26

9 posts

Posted by June26 > 2014-05-12 15:10 | Report Abuse

My ranger told me weather has been very dry for a month already and there is no water supply at Laban Rata. He advised us to bring surgical mask as it is very dusty and pray hard for some rain too.

leno

6,123 posts

Posted by leno > 2014-05-12 15:38 | Report Abuse

err ... mount kinabalu is in SABAH ... not in Selangor.

June26

9 posts

Posted by June26 > 2014-05-12 15:57 | Report Abuse

Ha ha....please check with your ranger then

Post a Comment
Market Buzz