Posted by kcchongnz > 2012-12-21 09:54 | Report Abuse

There are three company warrants issued by WCT. The exercise price, expiry date and the current price of each warrant is listed in Table 1 below, along with their intrinsic value and the respective premium/discount, implied volatility and gearing to the warrants: Table 1 Warrant Price Ex-Price Exp date Intrinsic value Premium Imvol Gearing Wb 0.365 1.85 22/04/2013 0.530 -6.9% NA 6.5 Wc 0.425 2.04 10/03/2016 0.340 3.6% 14.4% 5.6 Wd 0.325 2.25 11/12/2017 0.130 8.2% 12.9% 7.3 WCT at RM2.38 on 20th December 2012 If one is bullish about the company WCT in particular and the market in general, warrants may offer a better alternative way of investing/trading than the underlying share. But just which warrant should one choose as a better play? It actually depends on individuals. The best warrant to choose from is one with the lowest premium, the longest expiry date and the highest leverage. However all these favourable criteria don’t come together as you can see from Table 1 above. All the warrants above are in-the-money with positive intrinsic values. Wb is of the best value trading at a discount of 6.9% and with a gearing and effective leverage of 6.5. This is a rare scenario as I would expect WCT share holders would sell off their shares and buy warrants. They will gain riskless arbitrage profits straightaway. This action would drive down the WCT shares price but bid up the Wb price. The just listed Wd has the longest expiry date of 5 years and gearing of 7.3 and a lower implied volatility of 12.9%. However, Wc is traded at a lower premium of 3.6% compared to that of 8.2% for Wd. So just which warrant is the best to buy? For me I will choose Wb as although it is the shortest time to expiry. I could buy Wb now at 36.5 sen, convert to WCT in a couple of weeks time and sell the converted WCT shares in the market at RM2.38 (hopefully the price of WCT doesn’t change much then), and make a profit of 16.5 sen [2.38-(1.85+0.365)] or 45%, in two weeks! Some other people may choose the longer duration warrants Wc or Wd. Kenanga Investment Bank has recently put a target price of WCT at RM3.17. It is unlikely that WCT can rise by 34% up to this target price before the expiry date of Wb in 4 months time. However, for Wc and Wd with 3 to 5 years to go, it is possible. The following Table 2 shows the gain/loss of each warrant with different prices of WCT: Table 2 WCT 1.85 2.20 2.38 2.50 2.70 3.00 3.20 3.50 WCT -22% -8% 0% 5% 13% 26% 34% 47% Wb -100% -4% 45% 78% 133% 215% 270% 352% Wc -100% -62% -20% 8% 55% 126% 173% 244% Wd -100% -100% -60% -23% 38% 131% 192% 285% WCT at RM2.38 on 20th December 2012 The table shows that if WCT goes up to closed to the target price of 3.20, Wd, bought at today’s price of 32.5 sen can gain 192% if converted to the underlying share and sell into the market. This is higher than the 173% achieved by Wc. However at lower price of WCT, say below 3.00, Wc provides better return than Wd as shown in the table. Hence for those who are risk averse, Wb presents a safer bet. And for those risk takers, may be Wd is a more exciting bet.

2 people like this.

24 comment(s). Last comment by tonylim 2013-01-16 19:02

pathew

2,028 posts

Posted by pathew > 2012-12-21 09:59 | Report Abuse

kcchongnz, as usual, a very detailed and informative explanation... much appreciated!

so, are you still collecting WB at 36.5sen now? I will do the arbitrage by selling my mother share now that i have bonus issues credited into my CDS already :)

reyes430

204 posts

Posted by reyes430 > 2012-12-21 11:37 | Report Abuse

Hi KC, since its in-the-money, so people like you will choose to exercise it and gain the riskless arbitrage profit(provided that the mother share won't drop too much in the duration of exercising). With this action, it will prompt more people to buy WB and eventually cause the price hike of WB. Why is that the price is not moving now? Any reason? Please clarify. Thanks in advance. sorry i am not familiar with warrants

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2012-12-21 13:41 | Report Abuse

reyes430, first of all, in-the-money means there is an intrinsic value in the warrant. It is generally not advisable to exercise the warrant even if it is in the money. For example if you exercise Wc and sell in the market of your converted share of WCT, you get back only 34 sen (2.38-2.04). But the market price of Wc is 42.5 sen. Hence you are at a loss of 8.5 sen (42.5-34), or 20%. Why would you do that? Wb is a different story as I have explained a few times before. Your loss in conversion of your Wc is in the form of time value, which there is still more than three years to expire.
Yes, with such a big discount of Wb, in normal circumstance, or if investors are rational, they would sell WCT and buy Wb. This action would have driven WCT price down and bid Wb share price up. This is especially true since investors have already got their bonus shares just listed. One can actually see WCT share price is easing, abeit slowly. But why is the share price of Wb not moving up? Well all the maths are correct, I presume, but you must understand that investors are human. They may not be rational as individuals, and not as a group yet which surprises me. would this be a good opportunity to profit from this human behavior?

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2012-12-21 13:57 | Report Abuse

Posted by kcchongnz > Dec 14, 2012 12:54 PM | Report Abuse X
At the current price of WCT and WCT Wb at RM2.36 and an exercise price or RM1.85, the intrinsic value of Wb is 51 sen. Besides there is also an additional time value of more than 4 months. Why is WCT Wb is traded at only 34 sen, a huge discount of 17 sen, or one third of its intrinsic value? The following are some of the answers, or rather than the questions to the question.
1.Do all investors have all the information such as the exercise price of Wb, expiry date etc even though this information has been public information for a long time already?
2.Do the investors understand the option pricing and valuation?
3.Are there enough of them buying and selling Wb at the same time
4.Is this group of investors of rational?
5.How do we know the price today is indeed a rational price that reflects all known risks relative to a prospective return
6.Are there any ‘thieves’ operating in the trading of Wb?
Knowing the answers to the above questions will have a great advantage in trading WCT WB.

reyes430

204 posts

Posted by reyes430 > 2012-12-22 01:39 | Report Abuse

First of all thanks KCchong for your explanation, its crystal clear as usual. Thanks so much. Well, i do believe some of the investors are not rational or they dont even know about warrants and they buy it. However, i feel quite hard to convince myself that majority of investors dont know about the value and cause the sell down of WB today. Btw i think you are right, if able to answer the above questions will grant you a great advantage in trading WB. Lastly, what do you mean with this ".Are there any ‘thieves’ operating in the trading of Wb? "

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2012-12-22 12:38 | Report Abuse

"In investing, what is comfortable is rarely profitable." -- Robert Arnott. However when one puts his hard-earned money (at least mine is) at risk, it pays to be skeptical. Don't you agree reyes430?

My very own experience in this situation was more than 20 years ago when I bought this Country Height warrants something like at RM14, and the conversion price was RM12, and Country shares was traded at RM30. So I bought and sent for conversion and hoped that I would made RM6, or 40+%, just like that. How the hell I knew by the time I got back my converted share, Country Height was traded only at RM20. Hence instead of making RM6 per share, I lost RM6 per share instead. Very painful experience especially I didn't have much money then. Who are the thieves? The very top management of Country Heights who spread insider news to all their friends, relatives, and enticed them to buy the underlying share and the warrants. Most people lost their pants relying on this insiders' information. These things happened again and again in Bursa, countless times. Besides the company's management, many other people can manipulate the share price. These are the thieves of Bursa. Hence a small retail investor really have to be prudent. But in my opinion it doesn't mean that manipulation is always there. For example this WCT Wb. I talked about it this thread a month or so ago when it was at about 24 sen under similar circumstance, for those people who have taken a calculated risk would have made handsome return. Another one was Asupreme LA, the loan stock of a trash company. Those who have taken a calculated risk turned out very fine. The question is can WCT be easily manipulated? Is it widely held by institutional investors? Is it very liquid? It may not be that easily manipulated, I think, think only ah. I hope others who know WCT well can shade some light.

reyes430

204 posts

Posted by reyes430 > 2012-12-24 19:27 | Report Abuse

Sorry for the late reply, thanks so much Kcchong, yet again i gain knowledge from you. A very good example to share out from your own experiences to give newbies like me a free lesson.Yea i agree with you totally, it pays to be skeptical as we want to confirm what we invested can bring back handsome return to us. Well, for me, the only worry i have is the maturity days as if i bought the WB, i won't go for exercise..

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2013-01-03 13:19 | Report Abuse

why is WCT and Wb keeps on dropping?
This should be obvious as there is a selling pressure as a result of those people who bought Wb at a great discount, from around 25 sen to 30 sen and sent for conversion to WCT shares. These converted shares are slowing and steadily coming back. These people would make more than 30% profit by selling the converted shares now. I believe this will continue for a while. So is it better for those people still holding Wb sell them now? If you look at the discount now when WCT and Wb is trading at 2.32 and 35 sen now, Wb is still at a discount of 15 sen or 43%. Unless WCT drop another 6% or 15 sen to 2.20, then only it is better off to sell WB at the present price of 35 sen. Note that we have not even consider the time value of WB.

prc4wifefe

3,564 posts

Posted by prc4wifefe > 2013-01-03 13:23 | Report Abuse

bought wct-wd @ 0.29 and sold back @ 0.29...for 10k units...didn't look like got prospect :-(

Posted by lawrencelim > 2013-01-03 13:28 | Report Abuse

wait for the 3rd wave of wb conversion which granted to list tomorrow and decide ...

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2013-01-03 13:43 | Report Abuse

Actually I find Wd quite interesting. 5 more years to expire but trading at a premium of less than 10%. Gearing at 8 time and implied volatility just about 13%. Yeah lah it all depends on the prospect of WCT. In the short-term it seems unfavorable because of the selling pressure from people who have converted Wb to WCT shares.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2013-01-10 17:18 | Report Abuse

Anyone making money for the WCT company warrants? Too skeptical if the values presented were true? I was skeptical too. But

"I will also add that “In investing, what is comfortable is rarely profitable.”
- Robert Arnott

bingo

2,677 posts

Posted by bingo > 2013-01-10 17:27 | Report Abuse

kcchongnz, everyone in chong's forum including me make a big pile on WB & WD a number of times...everyone's happy there with his WCT counter recommendation....special thanks to chong on asking us to hammer or hantam kuat kuat on WB & then WD.

bingo

2,677 posts

Posted by bingo > 2013-01-10 17:30 | Report Abuse

btw, quite a number of chong's forum bought WCT-WB at around 14+ cents and WCT at $1.30 & recently WD at 27.5 cents....special thanks again to chong. we trust and so w all make good money on this WCT & it's warrants WB & WD.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2013-01-10 17:41 | Report Abuse

bingo, thanks for your "hard sell" but no thanks. I merely present the facts and I am happy you make the right call, yourself. Congrats

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2013-01-10 17:44 | Report Abuse

Oop forgot to clarify that buying Wb first and then Wd was suggested by our My Ooi Teik Bee

bingo

2,677 posts

Posted by bingo > 2013-01-10 17:54 | Report Abuse

but chong saw it first coming on the first few days of trading when he say the signal from the trading & ask all his members to buy big....smart chong, he got intuition indeed.

bingo

2,677 posts

Posted by bingo > 2013-01-10 17:55 | Report Abuse

and also chong recommend WB much earlier than anyone else..he saw it and ask his members to buy when it was at 14+ cents....now everyone of his members make big money.

bingo

2,677 posts

Posted by bingo > 2013-01-10 17:56 | Report Abuse

but chong saw it first coming on the first few days of trading when he say the signal from the trading & ask all his members to buy big....smart chong, he got intuition indeed.

...yes, this is for WD.

Posted by New Insight Sabah > 2013-01-10 21:28 | Report Abuse

Bought WB at 0.35 and found that trying to convert them into shares is a hassle - starting with getting the subscription form. No one in WCT would help despite repeated requests for info. Initially stockbrokers said they didn't have the forms. But they contacted Symphony, the WCT's registrar, which immediately emailed a PDF copy to me this morning.

This is all so primitive and unnerving.

sephiroth

14,122 posts

Posted by sephiroth > 2013-01-10 22:02 | Report Abuse

why is wct-wd (RM1.85 = 0.435= 2.28)still trading at discount(12.5 sen or 3.66%) to the mother share(2.43) ??????

sephiroth

14,122 posts

Posted by sephiroth > 2013-01-10 22:03 | Report Abuse

i mean wct-wb

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2013-01-11 03:05 | Report Abuse

sephiroth, would the following old post answer your question?

Posted by kcchongnz > Dec 14, 2012 12:54 PM | Report Abuse X
At the current price of WCT and WCT Wb at RM2.36 and an exercise price or RM1.85, the intrinsic value of Wb is 51 sen. Besides there is also an additional time value of more than 4 months. Why is WCT Wb is traded at only 34 sen, a huge discount of 17 sen, or one third of its intrinsic value? The following are some of the answers, or rather than the questions to the question.
1.Do all investors have all the information such as the exercise price of Wb, expiry date etc even though this information has been public information for a long time already?
2.Do the investors understand the option pricing and valuation?
3.Are there enough of them buying and selling Wb at the same time
4.Is this group of investors of rational?
5.How do we know the price today is indeed a rational price that reflects all known risks relative to a prospective return
6.Are there any ‘thieves’ operating in the trading of Wb?
Knowing the answers to the above questions will have a great advantage in trading WCT WB.

tonylim

4,796 posts

Posted by tonylim > 2013-01-16 19:02 | Report Abuse

Post a Comment
Market Buzz