Be the first to like this.

9 comment(s). Last comment by stonely 2011-10-27 21:30

Posted by WONGTONGGUAN > 2011-10-20 23:05 | Report Abuse

in stock market, you can not go against the crowd too

Posted by richardlim72 > 2011-10-21 08:21 | Report Abuse

yes u can if you're not greedy. if you're greedy u will follow the crowd. your primary objective maybe affected if you follow the crowd means u will forget your main target. by right when target achieved no matter what info, indicator, news, directors, etc tells you to hold for higher profit you need to ignore them and take profit. It is call self discipline. It's difficult to do but u need to do it in order to be a succesful investor. :)

carries

117 posts

Posted by carries > 2011-10-21 10:35 | Report Abuse

I believe that there are now New Hedge Funds which are "contrarian" funds .....

Only time will tell if their stance is the correct one ....

For me, i have always been a "contrarian" but i do so with my eyes wide open .....

cpteh

374 posts

Posted by cpteh > 2011-10-27 13:21 | Report Abuse

does it works well? Depending on your time frame and risk appetite, I would say. Easier said than done?

carries

117 posts

Posted by carries > 2011-10-27 13:37 | Report Abuse

I think like me, most "contrarians" base decisions on fundumentals and need to view their selections as picks that will need a minimum of around 3 years before they expect a turnaround .....

If i believe i have done my homework properly on the fundumentals and know i can afford to wait for at least 3 years before expecting any profits then i will invest .......

(The hardest part comes after investing when you have to hold on ..... because when the prices start dropping and fluctuating wildly, it is very easy to give into fear etc ......)

mikenkh

32 posts

Posted by mikenkh > 2011-10-27 18:13 | Report Abuse

Yes, a contrarian is someone who operates the opposite way. It sounds simple enough but lots of skill needed to win. I started as a guy who only pick up bombed out stocks I believed have value. You need lots of patience and staying power. You knew already you get paniky as prices keep falling somemore. Hence, we should know why we went in the first place,PEGDY and all that! How to average down and when to stop and when to sell as planned.

Over time I found out, its safe fundamentally but money tied up too long. I now modify my approach with a much shorter timeframe. It's similar but less stress on PEGDY. The key is to recognize the TREND or swing pattern if you like. You act accordingly. So far, its working fairly well but I am still improving on my skill and experience. Anything to offer for sharing?

newcomer

13 posts

Posted by newcomer > 2011-10-27 18:19 | Report Abuse

yes, you are right, its not easy to be a contrarian, normally theory is easy but when it comes to the reality, it will be very hard to make a decision. If not all investors and speculators will kaya lah.

mikenkh

32 posts

Posted by mikenkh > 2011-10-27 19:26 | Report Abuse

An enlightened contrarian is highly intuitive, inquiring and disciplined. His mindset is seeing outside the box. Not only knowing why people buy and sell, also knows precisely why he himself act otherwise. He capitalizes on our fear or euphoria. He is one step ahead and in control. I am not anywhere near I admit. I am just biginning to appreciate the finesse in the trade.

stonely

75 posts

Posted by stonely > 2011-10-27 21:30 | Report Abuse

Time when peoples in fear, we must greedy...
Time when peoples greedy, we must be aware & be caution.

Learn more, do more, prepare yrself in term of Fundametal, Technical & Psychology Analysis. :p

Post a Comment
Market Buzz