7 people like this.

34 comment(s). Last comment by paperplane2 2015-10-09 22:19

icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by icon8888 > 2015-10-08 21:34 | Report Abuse

Thanks KC for your study of econpile. I have a bit

I was just joking when i said econpile will double. I will be more than happy if it can reach 1.20

paperplane2

3,235 posts

Posted by paperplane2 > 2015-10-08 21:45 | Report Abuse

Some ppl trying to act smart!

Posted by TylerDurden > 2015-10-08 21:50 | Report Abuse

KC,

Would you mind to share your views regarding the outlook/future profitability of Pintaras Jaya?

Do you think that Pintaras is able to maintain its FCF of RM 40+ million a year in the next few years?

If Pintaras FCF is halved to RM 20 million, should we put a new valuation on it?

Posted by Intelligent Investor > 2015-10-08 22:04 | Report Abuse

Mr. Chong, the subtitles have some mistake ~ DuPont Analysis of Pintaras Vs Kimlun.

I think it is better to use the ROIC instead of ROE as pintaras invested capital is way below the equity.

paperplane2

3,235 posts

Posted by paperplane2 > 2015-10-08 22:06 | Report Abuse

I only have one question.. Both doing similar thing, you do piling, other ppl also doing piling, and they both no longer new company. Why one is giving 20% margin and another 10%?? I wonder why.

paperplane2

3,235 posts

Posted by paperplane2 > 2015-10-08 22:08 | Report Abuse

It is like both selling cakes, one can earn rm10, another rm20, the size, the materials , the workman hours same! Still one return lower! Why?
It is like u teach 2 students, one understand it in 1day, another students need 10days! Why?

I think for this case, another company is purely INCOmpetent!!!

Posted by TylerDurden > 2015-10-08 23:20 | Report Abuse

KC,

I wish to add. Your breakdown of Pintaras cashflow and valuation is indeed commendable. It serves as a good education for aspiring investors. I must thank you on behalf of all learning fundamental investors.

However, one thing that is inherent in every investment analysis is the analysis of risk. To me, your educational article is incomplete. Although past financial performance is a solid base for predicting future cashflow, it is by no means the ultimate grail to precise valuation derivation.

For this, I recommend you to watch a video by Aswath Damodaran, a valuation professor from Stamford University about his recent investment in Vale that did not end well. The video link titled "No happy ending? My Vale Journey" is available here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O69Rnb_lESs

Damodaran laid out his investment thought process articulately in this video. One of the most striking mistake that Damodaran made throughout the whole investment process is his disregard or lack of awareness about Vale's future profitability and the risks surrounding the business. And throughout the video, viewers could see Damodaran revising his valuation of Vale with a lower and lower FCF.

KC, your analysis of Pintaras fundamental valuation is as good as flawless. But what I am interested is your thoughts about Pintaras business outlook as a whole and the dynamics of the construction business that are qualitative in nature.

JN88

11,670 posts

Posted by JN88 > 2015-10-08 23:29 | Report Abuse

Thanks KC haha...good sharing ....a very good case study for value investor.....

Newbhere

47 posts

Posted by Newbhere > 2015-10-09 01:05 | Report Abuse

Nice new article and thanks, KC, for highlighting me in your new article.

First of all, I think you really have an issue reading and understanding people's comments. I am not sure whether it is genuine oversight or pure arrogance or ego at play.

Anyway, FYI, in my previous suggestion I said "On a side note, it would be great if we could have write-ups on Industry plays, cyclical plays, penny stock plays.". This was merely to compliment valuelurker's remark, which I am aware you were very defensive of as well.

Everyone in I3 has learn a lot from your articles, sharings, comments etc. But, you have a tendency to repeat over and over again on some topics and analysis. My only sincere wish or perhaps most reader’s as well is that we wish for you to write different topics which are of value to both the new and veteran investors (e.g refer to my above-mentioned suggestion. You can write anything else that you fancy).

Did I indicate in any way that you are a peddler? Did I request for you to give me a suggested stock to invest/trade?

What is the rational for my suggested topic? There are over 1,000 counters in Bursa, categorised into various industries (e.g O&G, Banking, plantation) and modes of investment (e.g warrants, iculs). A new investor or even some veterans are not aware of this. All they see or hear from are those individual counters highlighted in the news, I3, rumours and recommendations from friends and family etc. I thought perhaps an Educator or Investment Guru like yourself who has been in the market for quite a while could easily write such a topic, educating us of such matters including the risk involved and how they usually trade in Bursa (e.g due to seasonal/cyclical, GLC impact). You may not be an expert, but does it matter? What matters is that you take the trouble to research and share with us your thoughts in layman’s terms.

We acknowledge you as a teacher in value investing whether you like it or not. Regardless of whether you are a small time retail investor and whether you exercise humility or not, I believe you can do more to educate everyone out there. I hope you take this as a sign for you to step-up and grow yourself to the next level. Your students will grow along with you.

Of course you do have a choice to ignore me and my suggestion. Life needs to go on either way as well. But if you with your education, skills and experience can afford to make a difference now and for the future for the readers and for all aspiring valuer investors, then I would suggest not to turn a blind eye.

Probability

14,402 posts

Posted by Probability > 2015-10-09 01:35 | Report Abuse

Newb...just as neutral observer here...its very likely you have not understood KC well. And more importantly the fundamental he was teaching.
When u related EPS with DPS...it seems to me there is fundamental flaw in your understanding....despite saying KC had been repeating the same articles. I think...he had been teaching what he is good at...and I believe everyone should do just that...do what your best at.

Again...i think you should start with your understanding of DCF. I think without this super basic understanding...there is not point venturing to understand any other aspects of investments.
And trust me its not that simple....till u understand it...:)

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2015-10-09 05:11 | Report Abuse

Posted by TylerDurden > Oct 8, 2015 09:50 PM | Report Abuse
KC,
Would you mind to share your views regarding the outlook/future profitability of Pintaras Jaya?
Do you think that Pintaras is able to maintain its FCF of RM 40+ million a year in the next few years?
If Pintaras FCF is halved to RM 20 million, should we put a new valuation on it?

Nobody can tell you that, not even Dr Chiew of Pintaras Jaya. Revenue will likely to drop the coming year but construction industry seems still to be okay, but not forever.

I am a small retail investor, and I have no resources to predict the future, or make a comprehensive study of the company, its risks which also concern the industry risks. That will answer your next question. Tons of research has shown that even analysts are very poor in predicting the future. They often even got the direction wrong. Hence I don't place emphasis on anyone who says he is good in predicting the future.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2015-10-09 06:13 | Report Abuse

Posted by Intelligent Investor > Oct 8, 2015 10:04 PM | Report Abuse
Mr. Chong, the subtitles have some mistake ~ DuPont Analysis of Pintaras Vs Kimlun.
I think it is better to use the ROIC instead of ROE as pintaras invested capital is way below the equity.

II, thanks for the correction. I have amended it in the article.

Yes, ROIC will be more appropriate but let us just keep it simple here.

Posted by BenBlurBlur > 2015-10-09 07:37 | Report Abuse

How come Pintaras can always get high margin jobs n these good customers r paying very fast too resulting in high CFFO, related party is it?? Kindly give d reasons Thank you.

paperplane2

3,235 posts

Posted by paperplane2 > 2015-10-09 08:27 | Report Abuse

No lay. It only tell me econ is damn lousy compared to pint.

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2015-10-09 08:53 | Report Abuse

You better shut up if u don't understand

NOBY

936 posts

Posted by NOBY > 2015-10-09 09:05 | Report Abuse

Newbhere,

You should know that KC style is bottom up and numbers driven. He places great emphasis on understanding what the numbers in the financial statements tell us before looking at the qualitative aspects. What he shares in the articles can easily be applied to most of the 1000 over companies on bursa to know if they are gems or germs. Dont expect him to understand every industry and its cycles, what you should do is take that knowledge and apply it yourself into businesses that you are familiar with as what KC has done with Pintaras.

There is a wealth of information if you take a look at all the articles posted before in his blog. There are even long term portfolios set up with the rational of owning the stocks in those portfolios. I suggest you start looking there.

Newbhere

47 posts

Posted by Newbhere > 2015-10-09 09:36 | Report Abuse

Thanks Probability and Noby for your kind comments. I appreciate them.

I have read 45 of KC’s recent articles and comments given by the readers and himself in each post. I plan to read the entire remainder.

With regards to my question on DDM and DCF, all I wanted was just a simple direction or hint if my understanding was correct. In substance they are both unique and different. In form, I believe they use the same formula. I am fine if KC chose not to reply or chose to point me to somewhere which can confirm my understanding. But he chose to be sarcastic about it, which was an absolute turn-off to me.

On my proposal, I don’t expect KC to be an expert in everything, but at least try to work out something to share based on his experience. I am well aware there are a lot of other visible or invisible veterans in I3. From their constructive comments and views, don’t you think everyone and including KC will be well rewarded?

Perhaps, it is a lot to ask from some simple request. But, as I said before, he has neither the obligation to respond in kind given his current circumstances.

I am not a writer, teacher or an educator. But, I am very hungry for knowledge and experience. I have read quite a number of books, formed discussion groups, signed up for courses, prepared templates and have been investing/trading. I acknowledge KC’s efforts in I3 and thank him for that. I would also like to thank those Sifu’s who gave their 2 cents comments on his post. I find a lot of their sharings were of great value based on their experience and wisdom.

I would like to conclude that a Teacher must evolve and grow as well. He may be comfortable repeating the same things in different topics, over and over again. But truly is that his only potential or can he be more?

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2015-10-09 10:24 | Report Abuse

Posted by Newbhere > Oct 8, 2015 02:10 PM | Report Abuse
Hi KC, based on the formula and example you quoted above for DDM, am I right to say that if we substitute the Div amount with EPS, this would then equate to a DCF computation? Both DDM and DCF uses mostly the same data.

Posted by kcchongnz > Oct 8, 2015 03:15 PM | Report Abuse X
I started the article with this quote below which is self-explanatory.
“A stock dividend is something tangible-it is not earnings projection; it is something solid, in hand. A stock dividend is a true return on the investment. Everything else is hope and speculation.”

I tried to answer you with the quote above, that "A stock dividend is a true return on the investment. Everything else is hope and speculation.”

You can use anything for DCFA, whether it is free cash flows, owner's earnings, dividends, a hybrid FCF and a terminal earnings multiples etc. What I mean is EPS is not cash flow, unless it is converted to real "cash" because earnings often are hidden in additional working capital, and the need for capital expenses, and often little cash is left behind like what I have written here.

http://klse.i3investor.com/blogs/kcchongnz/83784.jsp

So EPS will not be what you will receive eventually, unlike dividends, FCF.

I thought you would understand what I meant by

"A stock dividend is a true return on the investment. Everything else is hope and speculation.”

But instead you came with this statement:

Posted by Newbhere > Oct 8, 2015 05:02 PM | Report Abuse
Thanks KC for your sense of sarcasm and effort in replying to my simple request and suggestion. An ordinary investor wouldn't have bothered to write so many articles in I3 and even offer to educate interested people in value investing. I am disappointed. But let's move on, as neither of us have any real obligation to one another.

Anyway, thanks Intelligent Investors and Noby for being very courteous and patient in explaining on my behalf. i am proud of you guys.

Newbhere

47 posts

Posted by Newbhere > 2015-10-09 11:32 | Report Abuse

KC, thanks for trying. As I said, I understand the difference clearly on what is cash and not. I was only focusing on the formula and the on the theoretical concept of what is possible. Anyway, you have already given me an indirect answer, thanks.

I am sure you have forgotten why I came out with the comment on the sarcastic part in the first place. So here’s a refresher.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kcchongnz Posted by Newbhere > Oct 8, 2015 04:27 PM | Report Abuse

"KC, I understand what the articles says. But a straightforward reply on whether DPS can be replaced with EPS to change DDM to DCF wouldn't have been too difficult?"

No, that would not be difficult at all. But it has not much use to you since you don't need to think.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I find your 2nd sentence really sarcastic and insulting. A totally different persona from the writer or educator I thought you to be. But it matters not now. Please carry on with your good work and ignore me. Cheers.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2015-10-09 12:29 | Report Abuse

Posted by paperplane2 > Oct 8, 2015 10:06 PM | Report Abuse
I only have one question.. Both doing similar thing, you do piling, other ppl also doing piling, and they both no longer new company. Why one is giving 20% margin and another 10%?? I wonder why.

Posted by paperplane2 > Oct 8, 2015 10:08 PM | Report Abuse
It is like both selling cakes, one can earn rm10, another rm20, the size, the materials , the workman hours same! Still one return lower! Why?
It is like u teach 2 students, one understand it in 1day, another students need 10days! Why?
I think for this case, another company is purely INCOmpetent!!!

No, I don't agree with you. It is just a preference for each company. Pintaras focus on getting higher margin for his jobs, whereas Econpile is looking for higher turnover. The end result is the same, a high return on equity. Pintaras has a better reputation in the market. So it can afford to choose and pick its jobs.

Of course I am not ruling out Pintaras may be more efficient in its works. However, in a capitalism market, it is difficult to persist as competition will crop in. As you can see Econpiles has been grabbing most of the jobs now, and Pintaras margin has decreased last year, but still at high margin.

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2015-10-09 12:44 |

Post removed.Why?

valuelurker

1,133 posts

Posted by valuelurker > 2015-10-09 13:32 | Report Abuse

Mr KCChongnz, you could have been so much more. Yet you choose to stay at your level, instead of greatness. Television or radio, as well as a true audience for those who see value investing as the only method for equity investments. You could have contributed to the Malaysian investing community, and have your name mentioned in the same breath as Cold-Eye, TTB etc, perhaps even the start to a fund. Of course, for that to happen, requires a paradigm change, in thought process, in the way things are done, in one's business model. I am giving you this advice, for free, eventhough I would very much like to do it myself. The difference? I do not have the following and I am not here to reinvent the wheel. Don't limit yourself to small-time subscribers. Be better than the Gap.

Posted by TylerDurden > 2015-10-09 19:53 | Report Abuse

KC,

I must admit your answer on Pintaras' business outlook is underwhelming. It seems to me that you lack understanding of Pintaras business fundamentals. You dont even understand the overall industry. Anyway, one man's meat is another man's poison. I say good luck with your fundamental value investing.

paperplane2

3,235 posts

Posted by paperplane2 > 2015-10-09 21:02 | Report Abuse

Yeah, regardless of what, I will say p8ntaras is better! Better margin, better profit, better book! At least they did not get sued by their clients!
Why they kena sued? Bad service, lcly I guess???

icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by icon8888 > 2015-10-09 21:05 |

Post removed.Why?

paperplane2

3,235 posts

Posted by paperplane2 > 2015-10-09 21:09 | Report Abuse

Wow, someoje can't even co7nter my doubts and

paperplane2

3,235 posts

Posted by paperplane2 > 2015-10-09 21:09 | Report Abuse

老朽成怒

icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by icon8888 > 2015-10-09 21:09 |

Post removed.Why?

paperplane2

3,235 posts

Posted by paperplane2 > 2015-10-09 21:11 | Report Abuse

The more icon said the more it shows how inc9nfident he is! Avoid icon stocks and econbhd all cost!

icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by icon8888 > 2015-10-09 21:11 |

Post removed.Why?

paperplane2

3,235 posts

Posted by paperplane2 > 2015-10-09 21:13 | Report Abuse

Hahahz....avoid econ bhd at all cost!!!!!

Posted by taipingbear > 2015-10-09 21:24 | Report Abuse

paperplane 123 ...avoid ? what else to recommend
for next week ?

paperplane2

3,235 posts

Posted by paperplane2 > 2015-10-09 22:18 | Report Abuse

Investment is a longterm commitment, don't buy if not plan to hold at least 10yrs...

paperplane2

3,235 posts

Posted by paperplane2 > 2015-10-09 22:19 | Report Abuse

I would wanna buy lfecorp, Wtk, kesm, Rgb now

Post a Comment
Market Buzz