5 people like this.

24 comment(s). Last comment by sunztzhe 2014-04-05 23:14

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2014-04-03 07:16 | Report Abuse

Thumbs up

I think a lot of our kakis here in i3 would find this article interesting

The part about how to handle your spouse or family, I have figured it out.

You are right, it could become an issue if not handled properly

bsngpg

2,842 posts

Posted by bsngpg > 2014-04-03 07:30 | Report Abuse

The grass next door is always greener. Other’s wife is always more beautiful. Human is greedy and never satisfy. I am working now and plan for early retirement long ago as I hate stressful life in office. But I believe when I retire, I will miss the office hours and regret.

Example: When I were young, I envied colleague who got opportunity for oversea assignment. When the opportunity came to me and I stayed in oversea, I missed those days in Malaysia very much and asked for a return after reasonable period of time. This happened many times in my working life even today. So I knew my character very well which is “Thing does not owned by me is the most beautiful thing”.

Conclusion: Make early retirement plan “execute-able” but never execute. “talk-talk” is good enough.

bracoli

2,579 posts

Posted by bracoli > 2014-04-03 07:35 | Report Abuse

Dear Kcchongz, this is very true i believe alot of senior citizens can't adjust themselves properly after transforming from hectic life to a calm and placid life style. This includes my Poor dad, after working 40 years in oil palm industry, retired at the age of 55, after 6mths couldn't suit himself, he went out to work again in same industry until now. Albeit he has hobbies, readings, involve in church activities, etc as mentioned above. The main drive here is, all his children are not by his side, yet loneliness comes into picture.

MG9231

771 posts

Posted by MG9231 > 2014-04-03 15:31 | Report Abuse

With internet around, it is not easy to call "retirement", one can always switch to internet for business ideas such as internet trading in forex, gambling, sale of anythings that can be think of.

MG9231

771 posts

Posted by MG9231 > 2014-04-03 22:08 | Report Abuse

Q

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2014-04-04 05:26 | Report Abuse

Subject: Life Explained...by an MBA Graduate

A boat docked in a tiny Mexican fishing village.
A tourist complimented the local fishermen
on the quality of their fish and asked
how long it took him to catch them.

"Not very long." they answered in unison.

"Why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?"

The fishermen explained that their small catches were
sufficient to meet their needs and those of their families.

"But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

"We sleep late, fish a little, play with our children,
and take siestas with our wives.
In the evenings, we go into the village to see our friends,
have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs.
We have a full life."

The tourist interrupted,
"I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you!
You should start by fishing longer every day.
You can then sell the extra fish you catch.
With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat."

"And after that?"

"With the extra money the larger boat will bring,
you can buy a second one and a third one
and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers.
Instead of selling your fish to a middle man,
you can then negotiate directly with the processing plants
and maybe even open your own plant.
You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City ,
Los Angeles , or even New York City !
From there you can direct your huge new enterprise."

"How long would that take?"

"Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years." replied the tourist.

"And after that?"

"Afterwards? Well my friend, that's when it gets really interesting, "
answered the tourist, laughing. "When your business gets really big,
you can start buying and selling stocks and make millions!"

"Millions? Really? And after that?" asked the fishermen.

"After that you'll be able to retire,
live in a tiny village near the coast,
sleep late, play with your children,
catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife
and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends."

“That’s what we are doing now” Replied the fishermen

bracoli

2,579 posts

Posted by bracoli > 2014-04-04 06:53 | Report Abuse

Marvellous! Circle of life

bsngpg

2,842 posts

Posted by bsngpg > 2014-04-04 07:01 | Report Abuse

My opinion : The big different between the two is that the Tourist(millionaire) has an OPTION to work or not to whereas the fisherman has NO OPTION, rain or shine, sick or good, he has to go out to fish for living. So do you want to be the Tourist or fisherman? You choose.

Frank Soweto

3,425 posts

Posted by Frank Soweto > 2014-04-04 07:56 | Report Abuse

The way I look at it the fishermen are quite contend with their life and no need for more work than necessary whereas the tourist wants to achieve a very comfortable retiring life hence the need to work very hard and be successful to achieve it. No right or wrong in both - just each other preference :)

(Though the fishermen probably thinks the tourist are crazy to suggest something that they are already doing right now by working their butts off to achieve the same results :))

Posted by stockoperator > 2014-04-04 13:23 | Report Abuse

fisherman could be right if the fish is always there.If not, ...

Posted by stockoperator > 2014-04-04 13:25 | Report Abuse

So retirement figures or financial safety net is still relevant.

Posted by stockoperator > 2014-04-04 13:31 | Report Abuse

well, it does make me think if i really want to become fisherman.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2014-04-04 14:55 | Report Abuse

I have some friends who are very well to do. One of them is a doctor in Australia. He loves and has a lot of passions in his work. Many of his patients told him not to retire before they die. For him, work is an enjoyment. Why retire and forfeit his enjoyment in life? What is going to do with his wealth? H is going to donate the major portion of his wealth to charity.

I had (not have) another accountant friend in NZ, 50+, and very wealthy. He got a few properties in Auckland as well as in Singapore, besides his investments here and there. He had his accounting firm in Auckland, earning some regular income. He dreaded to go to work and used to say he had had enough of the stressful life. However, his wife said he must worked and not touch any of the existing wealth they had, but only from regular income for daily household expenses. He died a couple of years ago with cancer. He had no chance to enjoy his fruits. All wealth was inherited to the wife and later the children. Their children would not have to work hard nor worry about money forever.

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2014-04-04 15:05 | Report Abuse

Wah the accountant story very sad

Posted by stockoperator > 2014-04-04 16:09 | Report Abuse

Someone contented with fish. Someone must have prawn.

Posted by stockoperator > 2014-04-04 16:10 | Report Abuse

I am contented with salted fish and curry.

Posted by stockoperator > 2014-04-04 16:17 | Report Abuse

Just be flexible and balanced up ya. If you have more than be thankful and humble and charitable. If not be grateful being positive and enjoy life as well.

bracoli

2,579 posts

Posted by bracoli > 2014-04-04 17:38 | Report Abuse

For me, i will not provide everything for my children, but only the important ones;education is a must. Another factor is, your spouse mindset also plays a vital role in shaping the family either negatively or positively. Look at my poor dad, most of the times is like the accountant.

Posted by stockoperator > 2014-04-04 17:50 | Report Abuse

there are 3 things that we could not understand or estimate:
1) The amount of Forces that is pulling our loved one down.
2) The amount of struggle that they have gone through to fight those forces
3) We are not sure if we are going to be better in their shoes as we don't know the problem and diagnosis.

Posted by Horsefield > 2014-04-04 19:38 | Report Abuse

Health is lifetime investment...

bracoli

2,579 posts

Posted by bracoli > 2014-04-05 19:11 | Report Abuse

KSK, not everyone has a path like u do. most of us are the other category which is work for others. Envy you my fren.

Posted by KinSoon Kok > 2014-04-05 20:07 | Report Abuse

In the beginning, God created man. He told man to eat fruits from thee of life but not to eat fruits from tree of knowledge&wisdom. Man eaten fruits from tree of knowledge&wisdom. They r so knowledgeable tat they created system tat run the world. Communism & then capitalism. These systems suppress people, making most of us in misery. These people r all tied up by the system. Only a handful r doing relatively well. They run the systems & make sure everybody r tied up. Somehow, there r very smart people who found the key 2unlock themselves from the systems & declare themselves being financially free. Once they r free, they should seek God's words & help 2free more people. So, don't feel weird 4not working. There r lots of meaningful things 2do. God bless u.

Fam Jenny

7,724 posts

Posted by Fam Jenny > 2014-04-05 22:51 | Report Abuse

It is wise to be master of money and not serve money as our master.But without working enough for ourselves and dependent ones,it is also being lacked in our duties as breadwinners.Hence it is up to individual to choose his path of life where it is fair to his loved ones and right in God's viewpoint.The scriptures did mention that obedience to God's laws is better than sacrifices.So we must set our priorities correctly in order to receive blessings from God.

sunztzhe

2,248 posts

Posted by sunztzhe > 2014-04-05 23:14 | Report Abuse

One chooses one's way to life. Likewise one decides whether one need to work further or otherwise. The choice is up to the individual. You reap what you sow. What , How you sow is up to you as an individual. There is no hard and fast rule for everyone as everyones' circumstance in life and financial status/situation is different.

Post a Comment
Market Buzz