3 people like this.

12 comment(s). Last comment by 8u29song 2014-05-04 15:23

kltan

143 posts

Posted by kltan > 2014-05-04 06:46 | Report Abuse

Cheer up! Look at this from the bright side. You have produced so many A students for our society!

Ricky Kiat

1,356 posts

Posted by Ricky Kiat > 2014-05-04 09:38 | Report Abuse

my sister in law also quit few month ago from public education sector.

Iching88

537 posts

Posted by Iching88 > 2014-05-04 09:48 | Report Abuse

Then open a non-profit private school tht actually educate the younger generation. I will chip in if you open.

Linabee

127 posts

Posted by Linabee > 2014-05-04 11:47 | Report Abuse

Sigh...too sad to read this...a good teacher quits....is like a tree committing suicide. Like a tree, providing oxygen and absorbing co2 from the air to keep us human alive, a teacher has a noble job to teach (give oxygen) and take a foolishness of students (absorb the co2) but the spirit is never to give up on them. A good seed plant in them today will become a good tree some day, but if u let them astray, they will surely become weeds. Sometimes, what you see is not what you get, but what is true will always remain so.

pputeh

698 posts

Posted by pputeh > 2014-05-04 12:15 | Report Abuse

I salute you for throwing in the WHITE flag.at least you are honest and a person with passion for what you do. Its no use banging yr head against a brick wall. I was in govt service and worked as a teacher too. Couldn't wait to retire as the system was just breaking down. As you rightly said 'we teachers are supposed to teach not to be clerks' So in 1998 I retired. Sorry could not quit as had a family to support. Now i follow yr comments on this blog and Icon 8888 and look for advise on the market.Am a small time investor/trader, and now pushing 71, am enjoying MY life. However I fear and 'cry' for my children' and grandchildrens future

kltan

143 posts

Posted by kltan > 2014-05-04 12:20 | Report Abuse

I quitted teaching about 10 years ago (Engineering lecturer, MMU, 2001-2003, assistant professor, UTAH, 2004-2005) for more or less the same reasons. For those who are not in this line may not understand the reason why our colleges, universities are producing sub-par standard students. One of the key reasons is the commercialization of education. There is an unwritten rule that in every class, there should not be more than 5% of students scored a "F". On top, mean score must be in between 60-70 marks. The lecturer/teacher has to explain to the dean by a written report if there is any non-compliance. As such, the score was highly manipulated, certainly not representative of the understanding of a particular student on the subject.
Low compensation
When I was an assistant professor in UTAH back in 2004, I couldn't make enough to support my family. Consequently, my wife needed to take up a part time job, my mother-in-law helped to take care of my daughter FOC. Until now, I have a deep respect for those who are in teaching line as they are the one who scarifies financially for the sake of our future generation. Teachers are human being, they too need to eat, live, plan for their next generation. Even till today, I still think that teachers are paid miserably poor compared to other job.

jennylim

97 posts

Posted by jennylim > 2014-05-04 12:24 |

Post removed.Why?

Posted by optimus13 > 2014-05-04 12:27 | Report Abuse

bravo to you CP TEH!!! I hope you can compensate by helping society in other ways! Hahaha..

Posted by terrylim > 2014-05-04 12:30 | Report Abuse

I am a teacher in secondary school. I am well respected by my collegue and very well love by my students. Teachers salary nowadays are very good and equivalent to private schools. I also teach part time at night and invest in property and shares. I can proudly say I am well blessed as I enjoy my profession very much. Mr. C P Teh may not be well receive by his students and colleque judging from his dissapoinment.

jennylim

97 posts

Posted by jennylim > 2014-05-04 12:40 | Report Abuse

terrylim, cpteh also not well receive in i3.

bracoli

2,579 posts

Posted by bracoli > 2014-05-04 15:14 | Report Abuse

Rip my fren

8u29song

2,705 posts

Posted by 8u29song > 2014-05-04 15:23 | Report Abuse

its up to one's expectation !

Post a Comment
Market Buzz