3 people like this.

10 comment(s). Last comment by stockoperator 2014-05-15 14:43

calvintaneng

54,944 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2014-05-14 00:55 | Report Abuse

I like both Growth Stock & Value Stock. Best if we can find both Growth & Value together. But given only one choice I prefer Value over Growth Stock.

This is what I have seen in real life examples. Many Growth Stocks Started as Value Stocks in the Very Beginning.

1) SBC Corp was only 50 Cts when its NTA was RM2.00. And Perak Corp was 60 Cts when its NTA was also about RM2.00. It was the Valuable land banks of Perak Corp that hitched on the Growth of Lumut When Vale Invested Heavily There Together with Others like Tong herr resources.

In Johor All Lands Originally belong to Johor Govt. And So All Lands were given to Johor Corp who owned KULIM. The lands were planted with oil palms. And spin offs were Johor Land (privatized) D Bhd, QSR & KFC.

No one else own any lands then. All Johor developers have to buy from KULIM or the Johor Govt. This is how Keck Seng, Daiman, Crescendo, KSL, CView, Tebrau, Mulpha, UEM & Others - Directly or indirectly from KULIM & THE JOHOR GOVT.

2) F&N is in soft drink bottling. It is a good growth company. But F&N has very prime land banks in Sg Besi. VALUE EMERGED SO MUCH THAT F&N LATER DEVELOPED THE FACTORY SITE INTO THRIVING COMMERCIAL SHOPS.

Same in Singapore. Singapore's Yeo Hiap Sing Factories were located along Bukit Timah Main Road. One Day The Underlying Land Value of YHS Factories were MORE VALUABLE THAN THE COMBINED SALES OF YHS CANNED FOOD & BEVERAGES. So YHS Turned The Factories Into High End Condos. They Make More Money From Owning Prime Assets Than The Business Concern

3) In Johor My Friend Andrew is the Boss of King Surf. He bought 3 Shops in Johor Jaya for his Computer Lan Games Shop in Johor Jaya. It also provides internet services for surfing. With the advent of smart phone/ ipad his business has dwindled. He foresees a day that his Computer Internet Shop might have to close.

However, he told me he bought the 3 units of 3 Storey Shops for a total of RM1.7 millions. Since property prices have boomed his shops are now worth RM4.5 millions. So he made more from his shop price rise than his computer business. While growth of his internet gaming shops dwindled his value has increased because of ASSET APPRECIATION.

In Sitiawan PERAK. Mr. Lee bought a 4 acre mainroad frontage land for his Used Car Business in 1991 when land was still cheap. His Used Car Business Did Very Well Until lately when business is facing difficulty.

But Again His Valuable Prime Land Has Been Turned Into A Gold Mine. He has turned the land into 2 Storey Cluster Houses which sell for Half a Million Ringgit each. I think he makes more from VALUE OF LAND BANKING THAN IN HIS USED CAR BUSINESS AFTER ALL THESE YEARS.

I have read Phil's "COMMON STOCKS and UNCOMMON PROFITS". He is the pioneer in scuttlebug - visiting companies which he invested in like Peter Lynch.
But his own son conluded that his father's performance is only so so when Phil cut his share holdings to only 3 stocks in later life.

Even Warren Buffet did less well as you can see Berkshire Hathaway Stock Performance Before & After he met Charlie Munger.

HE DID MUCH BETTER IN EARLY YEARS WHEN HE STICK TO HIS SIFU BENJAMIN GRAHAM IN NET NET VALUE INVESTING THAN BY FOLLOWING CHARLIE MUNGER INTO GROWTH STOCK TERRITORY.

Maybe His Portfolio has grown too Big to achieve the same growth in early days. In any case HIS EARLY EARLY DAYS OF VALUE INVESTING DID VERY WELL. And we can use that as A SAFE BENCH MARK.

Buy VALUE or Buy Earnings? For Benjamin Graham - VALUE COMES FIRST. MARGIN OF SAFETY IS IN HIS BLOOD!

AyamTua

13,598 posts

Posted by AyamTua > 2014-05-14 01:05 | Report Abuse

good sharing, Calvin Tan ! Like.

Posted by Tee Nick Vann > 2014-05-14 01:08 | Report Abuse

Thanks Calvin, i do like the idea of margin of safety

AyamTua

13,598 posts

Posted by AyamTua > 2014-05-14 01:15 | Report Abuse

Calvin Tan investing philosophy is always on sound and rock solid fundamental is just that some unkind people always commenting negatively about him ..

regnig

259 posts

Posted by regnig > 2014-05-14 07:41 | Report Abuse

Calvin, I can see the VALUE mostly generated from land or property, is there anything better than hard asset?

Posted by stockoperator > 2014-05-14 21:26 | Report Abuse

But in Stock market there is Only Business Value. Those who don't like it can take the company private ya.

Well capital repayment/special dividend/extraordinary gains is besides the point.

Posted by stockoperator > 2014-05-14 21:57 | Report Abuse

Remember land appreciation is because of Business Value as well.

If Not market will continue to Discount all the hard asset on hand that includes Cash as well due to lack of Business Value and inflation Erosion.

wahlaueh

208 posts

Posted by wahlaueh > 2014-05-14 23:08 | Report Abuse

Thanks for sharing!

soojinhou

869 posts

Posted by soojinhou > 2014-05-15 00:54 | Report Abuse

Everyone loves a growth story. But it's difficult to find. On top of the usual financial matrices, u have to understand the company well, as well as the industry it is in. It takes a whole lot more effort than looking in historical financial results. I spotted agritrade international at hkd 40 cents just when its coal mine started producing and nobody likes coal due to declining price. It made more in half year than the entire preceding year combined. Took me a whole month to study. One needs to be meticulous and study in great detail to find a growth counter that is cheap. When everyone sees it as a growth stock, chances r, it's already reflected in the price.

Posted by stockoperator > 2014-05-15 14:43 | Report Abuse

I dont think I can forecast anything as much as I dont understand lots of complicated things. A simple One will do much better.

Post a Comment
Market Buzz