Be the first to like this.

11 comment(s). Last comment by CharlesT 2016-10-08 17:33

probability

14,459 posts

Posted by probability > 2016-10-08 13:27 | Report Abuse

simple and short, truly a valid advise above...on winner's curse and especially this one below:

"The next important thing to know is to know your own traits. It is said that success in the stock market does not depend so much on your intelligence, but rather on your traits."

Ricky Yeo

1,637 posts

Posted by Ricky Yeo > 2016-10-08 14:53 | Report Abuse

Knowing fundamental and technical analysis will definitely give you an edge, simply because the majority of players in the market do not have such knowledge and skill. - Somewhat true to a certain point.

Look at this way, stock market comsist of a pool of investors. Just like darwin natural selectiom theory that the one that can survive competition will pass their genes to the next generation, in stock market, investors that doesnt have fundamental and ta skills will lose money and overtime quite the game. Through this market natural selection, what do you get? A majority of investors with good enough skills to blunt your edge.

Then again, stock market consist a high element of luck. A newbie can blunt out your edge on his very first day. So what you jave here is in the short term, amateur and experienced players killing your edge and In the long term where all amateurs eventually die out after losing money, you have more experienced players killing your edge

CharlesT

14,605 posts

Posted by CharlesT > 2016-10-08 15:46 | Report Abuse

Whenever i see Ben Gan i remembered his classic buy call on gpharos n also his supporter CPTeh....shit..

cheoky

2,823 posts

Posted by cheoky > 2016-10-08 16:01 | Report Abuse

Ricky yeo your opinion seems to imply the stock market is a competitive sphere and a zero sum game. What if i just practise value based stock buying with a margin of safety when i found one. Collect dividend n wait for other to discover and chase the stock. As such, i devoid into competitive market, dont need to have edge, just bargain hunt n collect? Work?

rchi

20,923 posts

Posted by rchi > 2016-10-08 17:24 | Report Abuse

those who hv fa n ta skills will mostly last longer than those without...it is said that out of 100..95 will fail,4 do average n 1 do good...the question is how to be the one doing good?
well,don't be the 95 who fail for a start...DO NOT lose your capital...DO know how to cut loss.
i always tell the new and eager ones..before you win you need to know how to lose...ie. to cut loss n conserve capital.
then,the rest will follow...

CharlesT

14,605 posts

Posted by CharlesT > 2016-10-08 17:28 | Report Abuse

Rchi is one of the very few who did really well in trading CWs..

rchi

20,923 posts

Posted by rchi > 2016-10-08 17:29 | Report Abuse

the author is quite right abt the winner's curse,those who hv been thru the 1999 internet bubble for stocks know..money just came out like frm the printing machine...and then...the rest is history.
so,to be a winner...you need to LAST.

rchi

20,923 posts

Posted by rchi > 2016-10-08 17:30 | Report Abuse

Thanks Charles,i really made a lot frm puts n calls in the past yr.

CharlesT

14,605 posts

Posted by CharlesT > 2016-10-08 17:30 | Report Abuse

At one glance he seems to be a TA guy but i believe his success is well supported by his FA n mkt knowledge/strong mental quality etc

rchi

20,923 posts

Posted by rchi > 2016-10-08 17:33 | Report Abuse

Charles..for me..the most important thing is to be able to read the big boys' minds...haha...you enjoy ur weekend.

CharlesT

14,605 posts

Posted by CharlesT > 2016-10-08 17:33 | Report Abuse

Otb always claimed i only know badmouthing people in i3...he doesnt know there are only a few worths my compliment...rchi is certainly one of them

Post a Comment
Market Buzz