5 people like this.

23 comment(s). Last comment by stockraider 2018-09-02 12:30

probability

14,402 posts

Posted by probability > 2018-08-31 04:54 | Report Abuse

while others sail with wind direction...Jon chose to drift with ocean currents

good to have less competitors (for the sailors)

CharlesT

14,578 posts

Posted by CharlesT > 2018-08-31 07:05 | Report Abuse

How old are u? If u r really 20+ years old i think u could be the smartest young chap i hv ever seen....

If u could be a little bit more adventerous u can do very well in stock mkt i believe

CharlesT

14,578 posts

Posted by CharlesT > 2018-08-31 07:07 | Report Abuse

Hopefully u wouldnt be the second kcchong...anyway lately kc also started to enjoy the fun of punting....in lionind making use of koon's index

soojinhou

869 posts

Posted by soojinhou > 2018-08-31 08:04 | Report Abuse

Welcome to the market, hope you achieve the investment returns you seek, we are all competitors in the market. I like your conservative strategy, dull but safe. Most suitable for working adults that don't have much time and attention other than work. As for me, I live off this, I need to work to get extraordinary returns, I'm not contented with a conservative approach. I have learned that speed to execute fast makes me more money, even though that means I'm successfully competing against people who employs a conservative strategy, that doesn't make me evil for moving money from your pocket to my pocket because markets are competitive.

You may find PetronM most suitable for your portfolio. Highly defensive retail market that's gaining market share. People associate them with refinery but that's totally incorrect because in FY2016 (I've avoided FY2017 because it is a bumper year), refining profit is less than 20% of gross profit. Sure there will be maintenance in q3, but at most that will hit only 1/5th of business. Net cash, but heavy capex coming up for refinery. What the heck lah, trading at PE 6 only.

Posted by British_better > 2018-08-31 08:07 | Report Abuse

After QR season(PH in power) over only banks and Bursa can buy is my opinion.

3iii

12,819 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2018-08-31 09:07 |

Post removed.Why?

Alex™

12,581 posts

Posted by Alex™ > 2018-08-31 09:17 | Report Abuse

Yay smart ah jon... Monday hoot what stock? Lai~

soojinhou

869 posts

Posted by soojinhou > 2018-08-31 09:35 | Report Abuse

Haha... less sailors please lol, ppl like you icon8888 really force me to work harder, come come, competition welcomed. I tell ppl don't be so fixated on kyy. Market is always competitive. If you are not competing against him, you will be competing with other invisible tycoons as well. There's no running away from competition in life, you go to school you compete, you go to work oso you compete. Want superior returns, compete lorr. Just have to be sharper and faster.

3iii

12,819 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2018-08-31 10:03 |

Post removed.Why?

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2018-08-31 10:05 | Report Abuse

deleted my comments. Feel bad being too harsh on the Young Ciku

let him has some fun... what the heck...

CharlesT

14,578 posts

Posted by CharlesT > 2018-08-31 10:09 | Report Abuse

Hopefully he can spare some small money for punting...everyday talk abt WB book stories very sien....

WB has unlimited funding fm his insurance co..bsides he also quitely do a lot punting biz...just that he never tell u only

value88

701 posts

Posted by value88 > 2018-08-31 10:10 | Report Abuse

CharlesT said it well. If Jon can be more adventurous and not that conservative and rigid in stock investment, he would do very well with his knowledge. I can also benefit by following his picks.
But with what he is now, I would not be interested in his picks.

value88

701 posts

Posted by value88 > 2018-08-31 10:24 | Report Abuse

Jon reminds me of Ricky Yeo, I suppose they are from the same sifu.

VenFx

14,784 posts

Posted by VenFx > 2018-08-31 10:26 | Report Abuse

Haha jon the adventurous legend.
Walk the path
Baru cross check with theory
Better if u can earn your own formula

Anyway like to your story juga.

calvintaneng

53,285 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2018-08-31 15:04 | Report Abuse

Value investing does not work in Malaysia! Let me be the only sorchai following it!

Hahaha!

Now i got company at last

Thought calvintaneng was called the hollandking? The number one sorchai of i3?

Now i got company at last

SO GOOD!!!

Jon Choivo

3,668 posts

Posted by Jon Choivo > 2018-08-31 18:28 | Report Abuse

Icon, there is no way that you can be harsher than I am with myself. Haha

I'll be honest, I always thought you were pretty sharp, but sometimes I just feel like your experience and talent is wasted.

Having said that, you're articles were quite profitable for me, ewint etc, just for the sake of a quick punt.

But Investments wise, I'm sad to say Ive never gotten a single inspiration from you. A pity really. Because I think your perspective for investment will be very fascinating.

===
Icon8888 deleted my comments. Feel bad being too harsh on the Young Ciku

let him has some fun... what the heck...
31/08/2018 10:05

Outliar

302 posts

Posted by Outliar > 2018-08-31 19:10 | Report Abuse

Why did you delete his comments then? Would've like to see what Icon said

Jon Choivo

3,668 posts

Posted by Jon Choivo > 2018-09-01 23:57 | Report Abuse

I never deleted anyone's comments. And i dont think i can do it, its not like facebook. He deleted it on his own accord.

Here they are, reproduced from my email.

"That makes him feel good mah. I can imagine he lives in his Buffett Bubble House looking out, saw us walking away with tonnes of cash in our hands and he giggled to himself "what a bunch of fools, you guys have no ideas what you are doing"

"I am thinking of writing an article "the difference between Jon lohsoh and soojinhou"

"Jon lohsoh is heavy on opinion weak on analysis, soojinhou is the opposite"

I'm always a little irritated when i get comments that are essentially personal attacks, or pointless and illogical mocking, especially if i they are from people with brain like Icon8888.

Because this means, i am probably right, as he would have criticized logically otherwise, and it also means i now learn nothing.

Its irritating really. I always have such hope that icon8888 teaches me something whenever i see a notice that he commented.

===
Outliar Why did you delete his comments then? Would've like to see what Icon said
31/08/2018 19:10

Jon Choivo

3,668 posts

Posted by Jon Choivo > 2018-09-02 00:01 | Report Abuse

When his capital was smaller, he punted alot on catalyst events, and did arbitrage on M&A.

He also punted on currency and most notably silver. On the first, he expected USD to drop, and so hedged it by buying great bonds or companies, denominated in foreign currency. And so made it on both the investment and the currency appreciation.

For silver, he predicted a demand outstripping demand, and really shocked the silver market when he first bought, because nobody knew who was buying so much suddenly. In his words, his analysis was right, but he bought too early and sold too early. Hahahaha

He also did long dated contracts that basically said he needs to pay if 30 years down the line, if S&P was below a certain price.

He punts, but very intelligently.

===
CharlesT Hopefully he can spare some small money for punting...everyday talk abt WB book stories very sien....

WB has unlimited funding fm his insurance co..bsides he also quitely do a lot punting biz...just that he never tell u only
31/08/2018 10:09

Jon Choivo

3,668 posts

Posted by Jon Choivo > 2018-09-02 00:08 | Report Abuse

Thank you, not easy to get a compliment from you hahaha.

I just happened to spend alot more of my time than others in this area. And i also happen to speak very very loudly and publicly on these things, im fairly certain they are much smarter ones than me, especially in India, China and US.

Some of the research by young fellows, i really cannot even compare. We come to the same conclusions or similar ones. But their research is way way way more comprehensive.

Having said that, most of the research reports in those countries is useless for my purposes.

====
How old are u? If u r really 20+ years old i think u could be the smartest young chap i hv ever seen....

If u could be a little bit more adventerous u can do very well in stock mkt i believe
31/08/2018 07:05

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2018-09-02 11:54 | Report Abuse

THE MAIN THING WRONG OF DISHONEST 3iii, IS ASKING PEOPLE TO BUY HIS OVERVALUE STOCKS WITH LOW DIVIDEND YIELD...CITING QUALITY LOH..!!

EVERYTHING HAS A PRICE OR VALUATION...IF IT IS OVERVALUE...LIKE BEN GRAHAM SAID JUST AVOID LOH...!!
DO NOT LET MR MARKET CON U LOH....!!

Posted by 3iii > Aug 31, 2018 09:07 AM | Report Abuse

>>>The one overpricing on growth says “I know its damn expensive, but..”. The one overpricing on cheapness says “I know it’s a shit business, but…”>>>

Comment: Like the above statement.

>>>This website, I3investor.

Most, if not all markets, does not have one single online forum such as this one, where every single market participant congregate and gathers.

Here, every single market participant is one single forum.<<<<

Comment: Did not know of its impact. Now I have to look at this forum differently.

>>>>Where, as Koon Yew Yin puts, he does not care if the company is good or not, he just wants to see pretty quarters.>>>>>

Comment: I am still trying to understand how he selects his stocks. I fail to see a common criteria other than what he said about higher earnings in each subsequent quarters. Even then, his golden rule is often broken by himself. Many of his stocks which he shared failed him terribly too destroying the premises he shared for liking and buying them.

>>>>As previously said, this creates a situation where it really rewards shrewd traders, who read sentiment well, as well as market predictors who can write convincing arguments, and pump and dumpers.

However, this also creates a lot more opportunities for value investors.<<<<

Comment: It was obvious in many of the pump and dump stocks, there were MORE losers than winners. Losers remain silent (generally). Winners thus seemed more vocal and misleadingly "in abundance". In stocks where the price actions over a short time horizon were similar to those of Hengyuan, a lot spilt their blood at the end of the dump. Looks like Jaks, Sendai, and Lionind have similar price actions too. Who were the promoters?

>>>The key to success in fishing, is to fish where the fishes are. And the key to success in investing, is to go where the great value investments are.<<<<

Comment: I am wired properly and blessed. I am able to recognise the great values in growth stocks. Cannot say the same for dishonest raider who saw a lot of risks in the same stocks over the last 10 years. It is either I am wrong or raider is right!

>>>Value investing does not work in Malaysia! Let me be the only sorchai following it!<<<

Every time a person wrote that Buffett's method is not applicable to Bursa for him, I wished to understand the experience and psychodynamic that led him to write so. Of course, value investing works wonderfully provided you know how. Risk is not knowing what you are doing. Yes, to be fair, some find the other methods very rewarding too. An author was promoting her book on Technical Analysis. She said she was a follower of deep value investing of Buffett in her early years and she lost money in the Bursa. Since then she abandoned this strategy and now she has written a book on Technical Analysis. I am not sure how well she is doing in Bursa today but some authors, remisiers and related people in the industry make more from commissions, fees and royalty than from their actual stock investing.

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2018-09-02 12:11 | Report Abuse

IT IS VERY SIMPLE LOH....TO TRACK DISHONEST 3iii JUST MARK THESE SHARE PRICES & REVIEW IT AT THE END OF THE YR 2018 LOH...!!

Posted by stockraider > Sep 1, 2018 02:11 PM | Report Abuse X

these are past growth stock, now saturated loh....it is overvalue loh...if u buy 10 yrs ago ....then u get good return...but if u buy now u r looking for stagnation....bcos it is overvalue now loh...!!

The correct approach is start looking for new growth stock mah...!!

Never overpay loh.....!!

Posted by 3iii > Sep 1, 2018 01:58 PM | Report Abuse

Hartalega Holdings Bhd
Market Cap share price rm 7.10
9.1.2009 0.42 b
25.8.2018 23.41 b

Press Metal Aluminium Holdings Bhd
Market Cap share price rm 4.98
09.1.2009 0.25 b
25.8.2018 18.78 b

Top Glove Corp Bhd
Market Cap share price rm 11.14
09.1.2009 1.1 b
25.8.2018 13.83 b

Hap Seng Consolidated Bhd
Market Cap share price rm 9.98
09.1.2009 1.33 b
25.8.2018 24.5 b

Public Bank Bhd
Market Cap share price rm 25.12
09.1.2009 31.33 b
25.8.2018 96.67 b

Nestle (M) Bhd
Market Cap share price rm 147.00
09.1.2009 6.39 b
25.8.2018 34.59 b

Tenaga Nasional Bhd
Market Cap share price rm 15.68
09.1.2009 27.09 b
25.8.2018 89.15 b

Fraser & Neave
Market Cap share price rm 38.00
09.1.2009 3.19 b
25.8.2018 14.02 b

Petronas Dagangan
Market Cap share price rm 27.2
09.1.2009 7.25 b
25.8.2018 26.51 b

Petronas Gas
Market Cap rm 18.70
09.1.2009 19.49 b
25.8.2018 36.6 b

I own 8 of these 10 stocks in my portfolio for many years.

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2018-09-02 12:30 | Report Abuse

In other words be brave do not cave mah;

Talking about investing specifically, I am reminded here of the Feb. 2016 memo from Howard Marks where he wrote this –

My buddy Sandy was an airline pilot. When asked to describe his job, he always answers, “hours of boredom punctuated by moments of terror.”

He goes to explain how investing follows a similar pattern – hours of boredom punctuated by moments of terror. Now, both these situations make us vulnerable. In the former, we are vulnerable to losing money. In the latter, we are vulnerable to missing opportunities.

But it’s upon us how we deal with such vulnerability. Do we buckle under the fear of the unknown or have the courage to face up to it? And if we decide to face up to our fears, all we must do is to play our parts well and let go of what we don’t control.

Nature will take its course then, and a few years later, we may be surprised at what we were able to achieve just because we allowed ourself to be vulnerable.

Post a Comment
Market Buzz