Alex™

12,593 posts

Posted by Alex™ > 2018-09-02 14:23 | Report Abuse

more

Stephen Covey - 7 habits of highly effective people
On steve Jobs (inside Steve's Brain)
Creativity Inc.
Common Stock and Uncommon Profit
Intelligent investor (----too overrated.... most examples are useless now. Better get a version with footnote. Bond discussion is useless.
Your's truly coldeye book @ popular

ok i can huat now.... huar arrrrrrrrr

your book list lacks the trading element...
lacks the killer instinct risk management, money management, sailang management, Technical analysis....

Sslee

5,534 posts

Posted by Sslee > 2018-09-02 15:30 | Report Abuse

Dear Jon,
Can you look into TA forum. Datuk Tiah MGO at 66 cents. The independent advisor conclude the fair and reasonable value at RM 2.60. TA assests are in valuable hotels in very good location and generating very good profit. TA has formal dividend policy of distributing min 40% Net profit. Your future self calvintaneng is trying to explain questions from some of the minority share-holders as what to do? So please help and should your fund quickly buy at 66.5 cents now.
Thank you.

Jon Choivo

3,668 posts

Posted by Jon Choivo > 2018-09-02 15:41 | Report Abuse

Alex, well, from my post you can clearly see how little i regard those things hahaha. I read the intelligent investor at 11, and am a fully inoculated value investor. Every time i try to read a TA book, i feel like vomiting blood.

Having said that, if you think there is a few i should consider reading, let me know, ill take a look.

====
your book list lacks the trading element...
lacks the killer instinct risk management, money management, sailang management, Technical analysis....
02/09/2018 14:23

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2018-09-02 15:46 | Report Abuse

Thanks Jon for the list. Good for people like me who seldom read. Most of my time spent playing Tetris. Hhighest score lately 17,000

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2018-09-02 15:49 | Report Abuse

Steven Covey 7 habits influenced me a lot when I was young. As I grew older, I don't practise them anymore. Prefer to just follow my heart (free spirit)

======

Stephen Covey - 7 habits of highly effective people
On steve Jobs (inside Steve's Brain)
Creativity Inc.
Common Stock and Uncommon Profit
Intelligent investor (----too overrated.... most examples are useless now. Better get a version with footnote. Bond discussion is useless.
Your's truly coldeye book @ popular

Jon Choivo

3,668 posts

Posted by Jon Choivo > 2018-09-02 15:52 | Report Abuse

Not bad! Haha we should do tetris battle sometime. I used to play semi competitively when i was young, so addictive! But now very very karat d. Hahahaha

====
Icon8888 Thanks Jon for the list. Good for people like me who seldom read. Most of my time spent playing Tetris. Hhighest score lately 17,000
02/09/2018 15:46

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2018-09-02 15:57 | Report Abuse

What happened after 24 ?

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2018-09-02 15:57 | Report Abuse

If there is one person that I would like to meet in i3 is sifu probability. Very deep water

Jon Choivo

3,668 posts

Posted by Jon Choivo > 2018-09-02 15:57 | Report Abuse

How old are you bro? 24?

===
Posted by probability > Sep 2, 2018 03:53 PM | Report Abuse

my personality and thought process barely changed now from what i was at 9 years old...

despite loads and loads of information went in to my head till the age of 24...

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2018-09-02 16:01 | Report Abuse

Baby Jon is intelligent , but too book worm

Everyday warren buffett Charles munger

zzzzzzz

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-09-02 16:14 | Report Abuse

the only problem with investment books...the more investment books, the less you want to sailang......

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2018-09-02 16:18 | Report Abuse

there are two type of people :

One type follows guru wisdom

The other type studies i3 behaviour (regarded as microcosm of the bigger market) and then tailor make their strategy to try to make it work

Type one is Mao Zedong (follow the thoughts of chairman mao)

Type two is Deng Xiaoping (crossing the river by feeling the stones)

Jon Choivo

3,668 posts

Posted by Jon Choivo > 2018-09-02 16:32 | Report Abuse

Hahaha, i can write as if im warren buffet or charles Munger and not credit them you know. Most forumers probably would'nt even know the difference, as most here do not read as deeply.

But it would be unethical, and just pointless ego stroking.

The natural inclination of people is to follow their emotion, instead of doing proper research, we are emotional creatures after all.

I'm sure, that if i want to, i can find a book, that espouses doing things your way, which is to find companies with potentially explosive earnings for the next few quarters. Its also more commonly known as momentum investing.

Reading too much books is the problem, if you fall in love with your idea despite how reality shows otherwise. Communism etc are still being propounded even today by academics and bookworms, who love communism despite stalin, pol pot and mao and countless samples in history, showing how it does now work.

Value investing has been shown logically and statistically to work, over large data samples and long periods of time.

I think its not a matter of me being too in love with my ideas, or too bookish. Although, i do consider the second a compliment.

But the fact that most people do not recognize how luck played such a large part in their results. Or how, they might be uniquely wired as to be able to do it their way, but that chances are most will not be able to.

Find me one thing that i've said that is not grounded in reality or history. Hahahaha

====
Posted by Icon8888 > Sep 2, 2018 04:01 PM | Report Abuse

Baby Jon is intelligent , but too book worm

Everyday warren buffett Charles munger

zzzzzzz

Unlevered

12 posts

Posted by Unlevered > 2018-09-02 17:15 | Report Abuse

thanks for the taking the time to share the list!

Sslee

5,534 posts

Posted by Sslee > 2018-09-02 17:17 | Report Abuse

Dear Jon,
Have you finish study TAE independent advisor circular report (available in bursa website)? Mind to share your opinion?
Thank you

Alex™

12,593 posts

Posted by Alex™ > 2018-09-02 17:41 | Report Abuse

if want play value investing, alex give u few

parkson
bjcorp
basically all calvin bro call? haha

Alex™

12,593 posts

Posted by Alex™ > 2018-09-02 17:42 | Report Abuse

and nestle PE 168

Jon Choivo

3,668 posts

Posted by Jon Choivo > 2018-09-02 17:42 | Report Abuse

Don't hold either Alex haha.

Those stock, you can only hold 1-2%. You are not liquidator.

I think you may be either mocking the philosophy, or you have a completely misguided view of value investing.

Im fine either way, I dont need any competitors haha.

Jon Choivo

3,668 posts

Posted by Jon Choivo > 2018-09-02 17:47 | Report Abuse

I've helped drafted a few of these now and then.

I would not place too much weight on the value given. The net asset valuation tend to be accurate as it is revalued upwards using similar properties etc as comparison.

But for businesses, if they use dcf, I suggest you forget about it. Too many assumptions, even if a high level of care is used to determine the value of the assumptions.

You should not be relying on those tbh, you should have your own figure in mind. Often if you did it right, your figure will be very close to the report figure.

The only difference is the valuer, needs to actually complete all the working workings and references in an organised manner and file them up. Just in case it is checked by third parties.

====

Posted by Sslee > Sep 2, 2018 05:17 PM | Report Abuse

Dear Jon,
Have you finish study TAE independent advisor circular report (available in bursa website)? Mind to share your opinion?
Thank you

Alex™

12,593 posts

Posted by Alex™ > 2018-09-02 17:51 | Report Abuse

value investing, 40sen for RM1 stuff no?

I'm more to growth investing, Fisher and Lynch type. Investors like to buy stuff with growth.

When Munger tries to persuade Buffett to ditch the cigarbutt habit, it's hard to change him, he still want to punt into those 40sen (berkshire is one of them?). In the end, Munger succeed in persuading Buffett. Large capital dump into value investing method.

But if u're talking about value/growth hybrid, then alex no comment.

Parkson and Bjcorp confirm 100% value investing. No other reason to hoot these stock beyond that.

Up_down

4,305 posts

Posted by Up_down > 2018-09-02 18:11 | Report Abuse

Agreed. Bursa is unique and alike a human created by us with collective consciousness of the participants. The mood of Bursa change faster than a girl....very very sensitive. Wakaka

=========
probability another thing is every personality is unique....as so do Bursa compared to other markets...

so one need not study thousands of humans..just to figure out the personality of a person he is about to meet.

just meet..interact..quarrel...make friends...then you know this individual better than all the thousands of books to predict his personality.

Bursa must have a distinct own personality like a girl you want court...

this no book can teach you.
02/09/2018 16:19

Posted by Fabien Extraordinaire > 2018-09-04 11:46 | Report Abuse

some books i would like to add

Thinking, Fast and slow - Daniel Kahneman
AntiFragile - Nassim
The Education of a Value Investor - Guy Spier

Jon Choivo

3,668 posts

Posted by Jon Choivo > 2018-09-04 14:01 | Report Abuse

Thanks fabian, if anyone wants to recommend anything please put it here.

Jon Choivo

3,668 posts

Posted by Jon Choivo > 2018-09-04 14:02 | Report Abuse

I bought parkson mainly for quarter prediction that china will do well, 2 quarters back, and therefore will show profit, and thus shoot up.

======
Alex™ value investing, 40sen for RM1 stuff no?

I'm more to growth investing, Fisher and Lynch type. Investors like to buy stuff with growth.

When Munger tries to persuade Buffett to ditch the cigarbutt habit, it's hard to change him, he still want to punt into those 40sen (berkshire is one of them?). In the end, Munger succeed in persuading Buffett. Large capital dump into value investing method.

But if u're talking about value/growth hybrid, then alex no comment.

Parkson and Bjcorp confirm 100% value investing. No other reason to hoot these stock beyond that.

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-09-04 14:05 | Report Abuse

buying Parkson? wow, u really want to be value investor....not for me.

Jon Choivo

3,668 posts

Posted by Jon Choivo > 2018-09-04 17:51 | Report Abuse

Sold at 62 lol. Bought at 40.

===
Posted by qqq3 > Sep 4, 2018 02:05 PM | Report Abuse

buying Parkson? wow, u really want to be value investor....not for me.

Posted by Fabien Extraordinaire > 2018-09-04 21:47 | Report Abuse

oh ya, forgot to add these 2 must-read books

Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits - Philip Fisher
Irrational Exuberance - Robert Schiller

just realised it's not in your list.

Pewuf

172 posts

Posted by Pewuf > 2018-10-15 17:57 | Report Abuse

you tried to articulate your points beautifully by adding filler words but in most cases you delivered little. good share on the books though, but not all are applicable

Post a Comment
Market Buzz