Be the first to like this.

37 comment(s). Last comment by calvintaneng 2019-05-24 01:32

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-20 21:03 | Report Abuse

Calvin comments:

THE STORE OF WISDOM IN SETH KLARMAN MADE HIS WRITTINGS SO VALUABLE. PAST COPIES OF KLARMAN BOOK ON MARGIN OF SAFETY NOW SOLD AS HIGH AS RM3,000 tO rM4,500 PER COPY ON EBAY

https://www.amazon.com/Margin-Safety-Risk-Averse-Strategies-Thoughtful/dp/0887305105

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-20 21:05 | Report Abuse

investors are all too often lured by the prospect of instant millions and fall prey to the many fads of Wall Street. The myriad approaches they adopt offer little or no real prospect for long-term success and invariably run the risk of considerable economic loss - they resemble speculation or outright gambling, not a coherent investment program.

But value investing - the strategy of investing in securities trading at an appreciable discount from underlying value - has a long history - has a long history of delivering excellent investment results with limited downside risk. Taking its title from Benjamin Graham's often-repeated admonition to invest always with a margin of safety, Klarman's 'Margin of Safety' explains the philosophy of value investing, and perhaps more importantly, the logic behind it, demonstrating why it succeeds while other approaches fail.

The blueprint that Klarman offers, if carefully followed, offers the investor the strong possibility of investment succeSS

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2019-05-20 21:31 | Report Abuse

calvin...I though u are talking about Darth Vader.

Posted by (US/CHN trade war doesn't matter) Philip > 2019-05-20 21:32 | Report Abuse

Your idea of margin of safety is very very flawed. Like 1950's flawed.

I prefer Charlie munger, Seth klarman, Warren buffet, Peter Lynch concept of margin of safety.

There has to be a context to every story.

Amazon was picked up by brk because of a margin of safety, where there monopolistic nature of first movers provide a rock solid fortress of growth into the future.

Seth klarman buys eBay even though the price asked was 6x book value ( something none of your stocks was ever considered), because you only buy cheap stocks of horrible businesses selling below book value. Every. Single. Time.

As for Peter Lynch, he does the exact opposite of what you always espouse: I repeat his words here.

"If I could avoid a single stock, it would be the hottest stock in the hottest industry, the one that gets the most favorable publicity, the one that every investor hears about in the car pool or on the commuter train—and succumbing to the social pressure, often buys.”

This is exactly you and your o&g pump and dumps, stocks that yoyo up and down so often that when it stops, you realize it never went anywhere.

Please stop repeating other sifu words as if they were your own, because like your Christianity, you never practice what you preach.

A broken clock gets it right twice a day.

Someone who promotes 50 stocks ( but buys nothing) and a new one every week, but doesn't say when he bought, how much he bought and when he sells, will always have a few stocks he gets right so he can promote and fool more clients.

Shame on you. At least keep a portfolio of your trades, so we know how you really perform over time ( including buying and selling).

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-20 23:02 |

Post removed.Why?

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-20 23:17 | Report Abuse

See sorchai Philip promoted QL = Quickly Lock up at near Rm7.00 with no Margin of Safety

Now got stuck

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-20 23:18 | Report Abuse

And qqq3 bought Sendai above 70 sen with no Margin of Safety.

Now in danger of cash call

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-20 23:19 | Report Abuse

Always buy a stock when it is selling below intrinsic value with high margin of safety

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2019-05-20 23:23 | Report Abuse

what is intrinsic value??

https://klse.i3investor.com/servlets/forum/600207173.jsp

Posted by (US/CHN trade war doesn't matter) Philip > 2019-05-20 23:36 | Report Abuse

You sad sad man. Are you sure you know how to invest? Or are you one of those short term traders running around recommending everything, but doesn't know how to do long term investing? When I say I have held QL since 2009, I know for a fact it is one of the most stable companies in bursa, with high margin of safety, and little chance of a share price collapse ( even at pe50.)

But can't blame you, with a history of promoting protasco, perisai, talamt, karambunai, asianpac and many many more, you don't know anything better.

I am sure of one thing, you don't make much money from stock market.

Your main source of income would probably be from sgd/MYR currency drop, buying property in JB when it was cheap, and not having any wife and kids that you need to spend money on.

Yeah and probably cheating innocent people of their money and hustling then to buy stocks where you pump and dump them. The long line of aggrieved investors follow you wherever you go. Do you know why they are upset with you?

If everyone who knows you long enough knows you are a fraud and fake, then what more needs to be said?

Enough. Fake investors will be fakes.

Have a good wesak day. I have decided you are a waste of my time. And you will never ever be a good investor.( Your mindset is too rigid and unyielding. You probably never apply what you read, but find the text to fit your bias.) Good luck.

FYI my 10 year returns from QL has eclipsed all your stock recommendations ever. And I compound my returns by reinvesting in a small amount of companies. I have very few good ideas, but my 6 companies have never made a loss yet. That is rule 1.

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-20 23:39 |

Post removed.Why?

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-20 23:39 | Report Abuse

How to teach others when you are like a frog inside a well?

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-20 23:41 | Report Abuse

Sifu Peter Lynch has bought and sold over 2,000 stocks. Some more than three or four rounds in their cycles

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-20 23:41 | Report Abuse

Calvin already paid for one son education in Australia over Rm1 millions in cash

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-20 23:43 | Report Abuse

And this wonderful year of oil and gas bull run Calvin and buddies already made 200% ...beating Sifu OTB at 100%

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-20 23:50 | Report Abuse

Why you missed these Calvin Chun Chun buy calls

Super Enterprise
Kulim
Tmakmur
Weida
The store
Daiman
Lafarge cement
Naim at 50 sen
Carimin at 39.5 sen
Azrb at 34.5 sen
Pohuat at 35 sen
Pm Corp at 7 sen after cash payout
Mfcb at Rm1.80
Ajinomoto at Rm2.50

Oka at 35 sen

Muda at 32 sen
Ytl cement at Rm2.40
Mtd infrar at 72 sen
So many others taken private

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2019-05-21 00:02 | Report Abuse

calvin....when bear market comes its not those who bought at the top who only lose.....its those who keeps buying cheaper cheaper because they keep getting their intrinsic valuations wrong who die until father mother cannot recognise.

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-21 00:15 | Report Abuse

Quack is really quack

Calvin told all to buy Naim and others when cheap

Then Calvin also gave out 2 very very strong sell calls in April because T3 turning T2.

And to sell into euphoria

Everyone of Calvin's friends received personal whataspp warning twice.
And also warnings in i3 forum to sell into euphoria

Those who listened are sitting on 100% to 200% profits

Now Calvin only give Chun Chun buy calls on prospective potential stocks with catalysts

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2019-05-21 00:21 | Report Abuse

hahaha...u think today only I know u meh?? calvin??

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-21 00:40 | Report Abuse

So what?

Calvin already said KcchongNz is best and you qqq3 is the worst of all ini3

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2019-05-21 01:23 | Report Abuse

me? Tan KW is promoting quality first.... that makes me proud

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2019-05-21 01:24 | Report Abuse

next even kc will be promoting quality first..... u think that day will come?

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-21 01:31 | Report Abuse

That day?

Since day one I came to i3 forum KcChongNz already promoted quality first

And since day one you are the PLP King

1,795 posts

Posted by 4444 > 2019-05-21 01:39 | Report Abuse

Quality stock is Dayang? Why need RI & PP?

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-21 01:49 | Report Abuse

Dayang?

Calvin bought Naim at 50 sen when Dayang was 68 sen

Sure Calvin will also buy some dayang if the price is right.

Quality is no use if price of dayang was over Rm1.70 just like sorchai chasing QL near Rm7.00

And if Dayang should drop because of RI and PP then bargain value will emerge

Question is

How much Dayang should drop before it becomes attractive to Calvin?

For tomorrow the best buy will still be Uzma as May and August Results of 2019 expected to be good

5354_

4,531 posts

Posted by 5354_ > 2019-05-21 01:52 | Report Abuse

KC problem is his buying price.

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-21 01:57 | Report Abuse

5354_

Dayang might go down temporarily but since Petronas is still in Top 30 holders of Dayang it should survive

Tired already

Good night

Zzzzzz,,,...

3iii

12,703 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2019-05-21 08:10 |

Post removed.Why?

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-21 08:11 | Report Abuse

With China-USA trade war ongoing there is one superb furniture export stock with extra edge

Which is the best furniture export stock to buy now?

Not jaycorp

Then which one?

Get to know it first

THE flow of information precedes the flow of wealth

3iii

12,703 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2019-05-21 08:17 | Report Abuse

There was a pitiful chap I had interacted in investlah for years.

He was the champion of deep value investing. By the time I joined investlah, this chap was already a star amongst his followers, including raider.

He changed his avatar a few times over the years. His initial profitable recommendations eventually soon faded and his performances were lack-lustre, even disastrous subsequently. Soon, he disappeared from the forum.

In one of his earliest post, he posted to his "friends": "I was a newbie and I lost money then. Now I am smarter. We will earn money from the newbies in this forum." Not exactly those words, but the meaning is clear.

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-21 08:45 | Report Abuse

3iii is the joke in investlah

NO use telling those gamblers in invest lah about your grandma dutchlady at rm46. 00 bought years ago with only a few lots

What people need is undervalue Dutch baby at rm4. 00

Not Dutch lady overpriced above rm46. 00

So outdated that invest lah forum is now permanently damaged

Investlah in 5 years has dropped from 1000 to over 1 million position now with almost no business left

Now you are doing your damnable old overvalued recommendations of fossilised stocks with nothing good or new

Calvin gave out chun chun buy calls

Carimin at 39.5 sen
Naim at 50 sen
Azrb at 34.5 sen
Lafarge cement at Rm2. 25. Now taken private

What we need is not past glory. We need good recommendations now.

We live in the present, not in the past.

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-21 11:30 | Report Abuse

This month only some good oil and gas company will report good good results

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-21 11:31 | Report Abuse

Howard Marks is concerned for the present status and result only

Not the past
Not even future results

It is the present performance that counts!!

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-21 14:16 | Report Abuse

For this month of May 2019

All shares will give poor results with some exceptions

Only 2 classes of shares might give better results are

1. Oil and gas companies
2. Export furniture stocks that have operations in Vietnam

THE rest will be weak or mediocre at best

10bagger10

1,007 posts

Posted by 10bagger10 > 2019-05-21 15:12 | Report Abuse

Calvin sifu, why need to have operation in vietnam?

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-21 17:05 | Report Abuse

10baggar10

Pohuat expanded furniture manufacturing to Vietnam for 2 reasons:

1. There is still lots of forest in Vietnam for good quality timber

2. Vietnam workers are highly skilled with lower cost. So Pohuat makes higher quality export furniture in Vietnam compared to cheap furniture in Malaysia

3. As US-China trade war going on in earnest more furniture importers from USA has gone to Vietnam to source their supply

So Pohuat's profits will be exceptional compared to jaycorp, liihen, latitude and others

Pohuat will be the no. Champion for exporting furniture company in Malaysia

calvintaneng

53,164 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2019-05-24 01:32 | Report Abuse

Losing money, as Graham noted, can also be psychologically unsettling. Anxiety from the financial damaged caused by recently experienced loss or the fear of further loss can significantly impede our ability to take advantage of the next opportunity that comes along. If an undervalued stock falls by half while the fundamentals – after checking and rechecking – are confirmed to be unchanged, we should relish the opportunity to buy significantly more ‘on sale’. But if our net worth has tumbled along with the share price, it may be psychologically difficult to add to the position.
Seth Klarman

Post a Comment
Market Buzz