4 people like this.

15 comment(s). Last comment by Icon8888 2014-02-13 03:17

Posted by mukahmukah > 2014-01-17 16:44 | Report Abuse

Dear Mr. Koon,

I believe you have been approaching this matter on a wrong footing. Please take note that Wilmar is also an oil palm grower. Wilmar recognizes that while plantation development has contributed tremendously to economic development, deforestation and other unsustainable practices have many negative consequences for people and the environment. For that reason, I believe Wilmar is working closely with other growers , traders, processors, NGOs, end users and other stakeholders to protect forests, peatlands, human and community rights. To advance this industry transformation, Wilmar has decided on no deforestation such as no development of High Carbon Stock (HCS) Forests, no development of High Conservation Value (HCV) Area, no burning and progressively reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions on existing plantations. Wilmar has also decided on no development on peat land regardless of depth and where possible or feasible, explore for peat restoration by working with expert stakeholders and communities.

Wilmar respects and supports the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Wilmar respects and recognize the rights of all workers including contract, temporary and migrant workers. Wilmar respects land tenure rights. Wilmar respects the rights of indigenous and local communities to give or withold their free, prior and informed consent (FPIC) to operations on lands to which they hold legal, communal and customary rights.

bsngpg

2,842 posts

Posted by bsngpg > 2014-01-17 17:46 | Report Abuse

If China follows the "expectation/wants" of the developed countries who disguised behind the names of universal charity/human rights groups, China today is still in hard poor mud and labeled as "sick man of the east"東亞病夫。

mukah

50 posts

Posted by mukah > 2014-01-17 18:14 | Report Abuse

Dear bsnpg,

You may have to do a simple visit to a well informed library in order to bring yourself up to speed as to the development of modern China. Wilmar plays a major role in the development of oils and seeds industries in China. However, since you have mentioned China as the "sick man of the east", you might have referred yourself to the weak China before World War 2. You might also want to brighten up your mind with the development of China pre-revolution whereby the Empress of Dowager was in charge of the fate of China. Empress Dowager surrounded herself with yesmen and expect them to tickle her ears with things she wanted to hear. None of them dared to tell her the truth. For example, China lost the battle of Yaloo to Japan in 1894 despite having a well modernized armada vis-a-vis Japan. China was using ships made from Germany. However, the bombs and bullets were filled with sawdusts instead of gun powder as a result of extreme corruptions among their peers. Of course, the foreign powers took advantage of this.

Posted by Chang Chiang > 2014-01-17 23:06 | Report Abuse

Mr. Koon ,
As a young investor who followed i3 closely, I am a supporter and reader of your postings and articles. Your sharings and teachings through your experiences are benefiting me and many people in this community. However, I strongly disagree that oil palm plantation is good and not harmful to nature, which are very important to our populations long term welfare ex specially the little ones which are innocents. I come from Kelantan, which are surrounded by quite some oil palm plantations, small and big ones. My relatives happened to own a few thousands acre of oil palm plantations too. I like to earn money from plantation stocks and I cannot stop my relatives from continuing their oil plantation business. But it is a lie to say that oil plantations aren't hurting the nature. The natives who one time lived there have to leave all their history of hundreds of year to a new place and system that is so strange yet to hard to them, animals loses their habitats and died, millions of plant of different species which lived after millions years of adjusting are replaced by just one type of tree, streams polluted, soil are polluted by the fertilizer and the pesticide used to control the weeds, and 15.5 percent of land area is just estimated, if we see from google maps, it is clearly seen that it is more then that. And will be more in the future. And that is just for oil palm, how about other activities? Like logging, mining, housing and etc, after minus all, how many more green land do we still have. All that cannot be bought with money in the future and we won't get the result ASAP as we might need. The other nations might not have good intentions but we need to think for our own sake and it is not about them bothering or not. And even if happened in the future the big nation still have brains and other resources to sort it out, what do we have then? Oil plantation makes good money but it is not good for long term, there are better options and priority than money. If our neighbors an island like Singapore, a waste land like South Korea can develop into such successful
economy without oil plantations we can too, in fact we should do better than them as we have advantages they do not. Money is important but it should be balanced with the welfare of the future little ones. I cannot imagine them living in a hell because what we do or do not do today.

Ken Lim

117 posts

Posted by Ken Lim > 2014-01-18 00:58 | Report Abuse

The question is, will it be implemented? This new policy was launched at the same time as a deal between Wilmar and food and household products giant Unilever, which has its own target to only use traceable palm oil by the end of 2014. As more multinationals come under pressure to use less environmentally-damaging ingredients, the commercial benefits to Wilmar of appearing to be an environmental leader are clear.
However the company has frequently been accused of violating ethical standards that is has signed up to in the past – for example as a member of the Round Table on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) and recipient of funding from the World Bank’s International Finance Corporation(IFC). That means many groups with experience of the company’s track record are sceptical about this new commitment.

Ken Lim

117 posts

Posted by Ken Lim > 2014-01-18 00:58 | Report Abuse

source from https://awasmifee.potager.org/?p=665

Posted by Alfred Tay > 2014-01-18 10:29 | Report Abuse

Mr.koon, what effect on oil palm co.'s share price with this latest discrimination from Wilmar & unilever?Thks.

Posted by Teck Wyn > 2014-01-18 10:36 | Report Abuse

mr koon you talk about national sovereignty as if you were a patriot but i find your dismissive attitude towards our natural heritage to be more like that of a traitor

Posted by Gokula Krishnan > 2014-01-19 12:13 | Report Abuse

I am surprised on your support for the traitors of Sarawak. Having lived and studied there in university, that's an example of a warlord state where no one cares about heritage, environment or people. It's only money and profits. If these ruling means the demise, so be it. Those assohles should been out of business long time. I find it hard to believe 2m jobs are impacted and that too Malaysians impacting. That's a sugarcoat as we all know over 75% of plantation workers are foreigners. So such demise probably is good to stem money outflow. I think Wilmar is doing the right thing.

Posted by Jemt Hwa > 2014-01-19 16:08 | Report Abuse

Mr Koon, I'm agreed with your points. But also lots of reader may misunderstand what Mr Koon try mention. We all know almost everything is harmful to the Earth. But the point is how we should use our land efficiently. Cooking oil is unavoidable needs, same as fuel. So what’s the point to stop planting palm while others still growing seeds oil and soya oil which are inefficient and expensive for consumer? For those who are against Mr Koon’s view or treating him as a traitor, I hope u all living very well in your little world with your little mind.

Posted by Anthony James Saunders > 2014-02-13 02:15 | Report Abuse

Mr Koon, the palm oil that is being mostly discriminated against is that from unsustainably grown oil palms and the problems it is causing.

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2014-02-13 02:56 | Report Abuse

Dear all, please ignore this tommy lim. He confessed before he is a newbie from a rich family. People like him don't understand the real world. That is why think and talk like a westerner who earn five figures per month (according to him, that is his salary)

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2014-02-13 03:08 | Report Abuse

Tommy Lim
Stock: [PJDEV]: PJ DEVELOPMENT HOLDINGS BHD
Jan 2, 2014 09:28 AM | Report Abuse

Sepiroth, I come from rich family and now working for oil and gas company earning 6 figure salary. So money is not an issue. I only started playing shares and already made 30K out of 100K within 2 months. Not so much actually. I will hold PJDev then. Thank you.

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2014-02-13 03:10 | Report Abuse

Tommy lim

Stock: [PJDEV]: PJ DEVELOPMENT HOLDINGS BHD
Jan 2, 2014 09:10 AM | Report Abuse

Sephiroth, I don't know anything about stock. I only follow whatever my remisier ask me to buy or sell. So I should hold? Thanks

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2014-02-13 03:17 | Report Abuse

Hmmm tommy lim withdrew his post....

Post a Comment
Market Buzz