8 people like this.

67 comment(s). Last comment by Dolly_Chai 2017-02-03 16:20

stockmanmy

6,977 posts

Posted by stockmanmy > 2017-01-15 22:40 | Report Abuse

alphabeta is of the school that says, if you can make it complicated enough, you will surely be rewarded for your hard work.

But reward is not from hard work alone but from fitting the methodology to the behavior.

Bruce88

1,126 posts

Posted by Bruce88 > 2017-01-15 22:54 | Report Abuse

Quoting BJToto as a "Div investing" is totally wrong.
The important keyword is growth both in div and company profit.

gohkimhock

2,948 posts

Posted by gohkimhock > 2017-01-15 22:59 | Report Abuse

why not do a dividend investing on Hai-O?

3iii

12,819 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2017-01-16 08:47 |

Post removed.Why?

3iii

12,819 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2017-01-16 08:52 | Report Abuse

Revenue .....> earnings .....> .FCF .....> retained earning + dividends.

You can choose to invest in companies throwing growing dividends (dividend growth investing).

As I have posted earlier, stock selection is still the key.

Bruce88

1,126 posts

Posted by Bruce88 > 2017-01-16 09:03 | Report Abuse

This article had given a very BAD impression of "Div investing"
KC should use his knowledge & experience to show readers what is a "Good div investing".

datuk

4,935 posts

Posted by datuk > 2017-01-16 09:11 | Report Abuse

The only permanent in universe is impermanent. There is no exception in the world of investment!

The underlying fundamental in business keep changing in tandem with changing conditions in the marketplace; thus affecting the earning pillar of company.

You got to know that investing in dividend stock is you accepting the fact there is a limitation in earning growth potential in that company. You got to accept the fact that the risk inherited in the dividend stock begins to emerge when the earning stability is disappearing.

You can uncover the myth of dividend stock If you command the comprehensive knowledge in the industry. This will allow you to align your investment strategy in line with the competitive condition in that company.

Ultimately, you never do nothing with dividend stock when the underlying earning is threaten.

When there is no constant earning, there will be no constant dividend !

datuk

4,935 posts

Posted by datuk > 2017-01-16 09:29 | Report Abuse

The fact that the constant changing in the marketplace make investment an exciting game.....dividend stock can turn into growth stock...

KC, I think it might be more beneficial here if you focus your write up on:

why investing in dividend stock a failure strategy ? or

The fundamental dividend investing strategy - uncover the myth.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2017-01-16 09:31 | Report Abuse

Posted by Bruce88 > Jan 16, 2017 09:03 AM | Report Abuse
This article had given a very BAD impression of "Div investing"
KC should use his knowledge & experience to show readers what is a "Good div investing".

This article reminds one not to blindly invest using any strategy, including dividend investing. The underlying message is in the last part of the article,

" Does it mean that investing in high dividend stock is a myth? Not at all. On the contrary, I found it is one of the best investing strategies to obtain consistent long-term return with less risk.

This is provided investors have a check list of how and what to look for to separate the chaff from the wheat. That will be the next topic of discussions."

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2017-01-16 09:57 | Report Abuse

Posted by R3D3 > Jan 16, 2017 09:36 AM | Report Abuse
Chong: It would have been much better if you had focus on the risk of dividend investing.

ME: DIVIDEND INVESTING IS ACTUALLY A LOW RISK STRATEGY COMPARED TO OTHER STRATEGY, ESPECIALLY APA ITU DYNAMIC INVESTING, "PIVOTAL MOMENT CONCEPT" AND ALL THAT JEST.

Dividends, are largely determined by the company board of directors and is influenced by the company profitability. No money, no honey. Hence, dividends is not a constant factor.

ME:NOTHING IS CONSTANT IN INVESTING. BUT IT IS MORE PREDICTABLE FOR SOME COMPANIES, THEN OTHER PREDICTIONS.

* eg. how many people make many assumptions that their dividends is cast in stone?

ME: THAT IS WRONG. NOTHING IS CAST IN STONE, FOR ANYTHING IN INVESTING, NOT ONLY DIVIDEND.

The dividend yield is determined by two variables which are not constant. The price of the stock is not constant and neither is the dividend.

ME: DIVIDEND IS A LITTLE MORE PREDICTABLE FOR COMPANIES WITH CONSISTENT EARNINGS AND CASH FLOWS. THERE ARE SOME STOCKS HAVING THAT CHARACTERISTICS.

PRICE IS OF COURSE NOT CONSTANT. IN FACT, IT CHANGES EVERY MINUTE.

HOWEVER, WE HAVE TO MAKE A DECISION ON WHAT IS THE DIVIDEND YIELD AT A POINT OF TIME WHEN WE ARE CONSIDERING TO INVEST WITH DIVIDEND INVESTING STRATEGY; I.E. AT THE TIME OF A CERTAIN PRICE, AND HENCE THE DIVIDEND YIELD. IF THAT PRICE GIVES A HIGH DIVIDEND YIELD, MAY BE GOOD TO INVEST, AND VICE VERSA.

ckkhen

193 posts

Posted by ckkhen > 2017-01-16 10:04 | Report Abuse

Old world stocks like Dlady, HEIM, Carlsbg, Panamy, Uplant, Pbank, BAT, Nestle are good dividend stocks. If they are bought 10 or more years ago, they would ahve made you very rich, not only in terms of dividends but capital appreciation. Increasing Dividends = increasing share prices (Dr Neoh Soon Kean).

Question now is: can we unearth potential stocks to follow above examples. Padini? HaiO? Scientx? Magni? Ptaras? Kmloong? ...?

Or wait for opportunities in the old world stocks?

Over to you , KC.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2017-01-16 10:30 | Report Abuse

Posted by R3D3 > Jan 16, 2017 10:07 AM | Report Abuse
Chong: Needless to say, I wasn't focusing on you or your abilities. That was a general comment on personal observation.
Have you not seen someone buying a stock, assuming that the xxx dividend a stock gave last year, would be repeated the following year? And based on the xxx dividend, they formulate their yield and declare their stock is a great investment? How many times have you seen such investment crash and burned? I have seen far too many examples of 'Berjaya Toto' type of 'dividend investments' fail.
Also, I do have to say, the reply in CAPS is not pleasant reading.

The capital letters were used to differentiate your comments and my reply. Since you didn't like them (I can't control what you think), I will suit you and use small letters.

I would like to see your examples of bad dividend stocks you were talking to add to my list.

As I have said, you have to use a price at the point of time when using investing in dividend strategy, to make a decision on if the dividend yield at that price is good to invest or not.

If not, how else do you make decision?

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2017-01-16 10:54 | Report Abuse

Posted by ckkhen > Jan 16, 2017 10:04 AM | Report Abuse
Old world stocks like Dlady, HEIM, Carlsbg, Panamy, Uplant, Pbank, BAT, Nestle are good dividend stocks. If they are bought 10 or more years ago, they would ahve made you very rich, not only in terms of dividends but capital appreciation. Increasing Dividends = increasing share prices (Dr Neoh Soon Kean).
Question now is: can we unearth potential stocks to follow above examples. Padini? HaiO? Scientx? Magni? Ptaras? Kmloong? ...?
Or wait for opportunities in the old world stocks?
Over to you , KC.

ckkhen,
For the old world stocks, values are presented normally during market down turn. It is hard to find good dividend stocks during normal time for high extra-ordinary return. But during bad time, buy as much as possible when their stock prices are beaten down.

In normal time, I tend to focus on the later category. You can still find many good buys there. If you check back the list of dividends stocks I have given you every month, you should see they provide you with very good return so far.

My opinion is, stay invested. The market is not at euphoria, and we can miss good opportunity by waiting.

"80 percent of success is just showing up?" Woody Allen

ckkhen

193 posts

Posted by ckkhen > 2017-01-16 11:15 | Report Abuse

KC,
Thanks for the reply and reminder. Keep writing!

Jay

1,126 posts

Posted by Jay > 2017-01-16 11:17 | Report Abuse

high dividend yield stocks are often generalised with stable ones when in reality it may not be. especially some stocks which only pay 1 or 2 years of high dividend/dividend is expected to fall in line with earnings

dividend depends on that year's earnings and cashflow while price movement depends on market expectations on the company. good companies' price will rebound at least to the level before adjusted for dividend after ex while others the market will just let it slide, then at most will be like taking money from your left pocket to put into the right pocket

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2017-01-16 11:28 | Report Abuse

Posted by R3D3 > Jan 16, 2017 11:08 AM | Report Abuse
Chong: I can tell story of this girlfriend who has been doing Amway for 10 years. She worked hard, made good money. Not too long ago, she invested her hard earn money in the stock. Not exactly sure if it was 2013 or 2014. Last year, she exprsessed her disappointment with her decision to invest in Amway and regretted listening to her peers that Amway was paying good dividends and that whatever dividends she has received, could not cover her losses in her investment.

Excellent example. Thank you.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2017-01-16 11:30 | Report Abuse

Posted by Jay > Jan 16, 2017 11:17 AM | Report Abuse
high dividend yield stocks are often generalised with stable ones when in reality it may not be. especially some stocks which only pay 1 or 2 years of high dividend/dividend is expected to fall in line with earnings
dividend depends on that year's earnings and cashflow while price movement depends on market expectations on the company. good companies' price will rebound at least to the level before adjusted for dividend after ex while others the market will just let it slide, then at most will be like taking money from your left pocket to put into the right pocket

Excellent comment. Thanks jay.

ckkhen

193 posts

Posted by ckkhen > 2017-01-16 11:31 | Report Abuse

Posted by R3D3 > Jan 16, 2017 11:08 AM | Report Abuse

Chong: I can tell story of this girlfriend who has been doing Amway for 10 years. She worked hard, made good money. Not too long ago, she invested her hard earn money in the stock. Not exactly sure if it was 2013 or 2014. Last year, she exprsessed her disappointment with her decision to invest in Amway and regretted listening to her peers that Amway was paying good dividends and that whatever dividends she has received, could not cover her losses in her investment.

It is just like a long time PBank or F&N employee decide to buy these shares at 20.00 or 23.00 respectively now bcos they have been giving good dividends. A case of buying wonderful companies at lousy prices. Nothing wrong with dividend approach if they have bought these shares at good valuation prices. Mistake is they bought at the wrong time. That is why dividend knowledge/FVI comes in to save the day.

10bagger10

1,007 posts

Posted by 10bagger10 > 2017-01-16 11:35 | Report Abuse

Dear master kcchongnz,

need your advice, i had bought a lot of complet (Complete logistic berhad), but share price hardly move @ pe around 5.5. can give me some advise?

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2017-01-16 20:06 | Report Abuse

Posted by 10bagger10 > Jan 16, 2017 11:35 AM | Report Abuse
Dear master kcchongnz,
need your advice, i had bought a lot of complet (Complete logistic berhad), but share price hardly move @ pe around 5.5. can give me some advise?

Don't know much about Complete. May be because it hardly gives any dividend. Without dividend, how do investors know the company really makes money?

Or maybe the earnings are very erratic and volatile.

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2017-01-16 20:54 | Report Abuse

Raider like to sum up loh...a dividend stock paying is of course better than div paying stock loh...!!

If u focus on dividend paying stock, u must look into dividend sustainability, cashflow, earnings loh....!!
Do not focus on just div loh....!! Look at the past yrs of div paying track record loh...!!

If got growth and even margin of safety , even better loh.....!!

Never...never ...never sailing on 1 single stock, preferably portfolio 8 to 10 stocks of reasonable proportion loh....!!

Also use your head...do not overpay loh....!! Like Pet dag PE 25x...getting div yield of 3% pa high risk loh....!!

Alternative Nestle Rm 78.00 giving PE 25x with div yield of 2.5% pa high risk loh...!!

Always have an understanding of FD rates and Dividend yield loh...!!
They are related...a high FD rates means u need to get div yield and vice versa mah....!!

3iii

12,819 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2017-01-16 23:09 | Report Abuse

KYY i have to agree with your comments on raider.

Yippy68

1,667 posts

Posted by Yippy68 > 2017-01-17 04:07 | Report Abuse

i am a dividend lover. i started to invest in reits 8 years back when no one seem to look at it..after collecting 8 years of steady dividend and with price appreciated some more than 70%, i made huge huge profit by 7 figures after selling off last year when all reits were at peak. a man meat is another man poison .do not conclude when you are not in it, only gainer will smile all the times. I am so lucky to be on of them.

Yippy68

1,667 posts

Posted by Yippy68 > 2017-01-17 04:08 | Report Abuse

one of them

Yippy68

1,667 posts

Posted by Yippy68 > 2017-01-17 04:35 | Report Abuse

Bplant another example, two years dividend added up 25 sen , price once dropped to 1.17 , ipo at 1.60, land bank value in billions, many people missed when price dropped to dirt cheap, now at 1.67, if you accumulate a million share, you will be making six figures in two years.

Yippy68

1,667 posts

Posted by Yippy68 > 2017-01-17 06:03 | Report Abuse

of course you will not talk about FGV right, you lose you pant if you go in, because you believe some sifus shouting buy buy buy.

3iii

12,819 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2017-01-17 07:17 |

Post removed.Why?

Angielim9955

2,049 posts

Posted by Angielim9955 > 2017-01-17 15:03 | Report Abuse

Yippy68 friends I am also like dividend, however I bot Magnum when 2.50 now at 2.09.
can you advise me should hold or can advise magnum still worth to hold
because many people ask me to cut because magnum is a sunset biz like Parkson
Parkson drop from 9.00 until 0.60
Now I very scare and worry about magnumI also got media but Media got GLC protect so Media I no worry at all even I enter at high price.
Just this Magnum I really worry will nofollow Parkson Parkson drop until no underwear as we know
So if Yippy68 free please advise on magnum.
And why many people like TOTO than magnum TOTO still trade around 3.00 but Magnum near 2.00
LAst time magnum and toto every q also same give 5sen dividend now toto give 4 magnum give 3 and magnum so stupid , latest qr profit jump 44% but give 3sen only ,Be fair must give 4sen as publice expecetd

10bagger10

1,007 posts

Posted by 10bagger10 > 2017-01-17 15:06 | Report Abuse

Angielim9955,

compare roe, fcf, fundamental ...
have u done ur homework b4 u buy?

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2017-01-17 15:09 | Report Abuse

Magnum ....raider remember split into 2 different co mah....!!
Have u factor this is to ur investment return leh ?

datuk

4,935 posts

Posted by datuk > 2017-01-17 15:32 | Report Abuse

I think two criteria need to be met before could qualify as dividend stock:

a) The annual dividend yield must more than the current fix deposit rate.
b) The dividend yield on (a)must be maintained for 5 years.

perhaps, with this definition, your investment mind won't be confused and you will think rationally.

kikikiki

datuk

4,935 posts

Posted by datuk > 2017-01-17 15:36 | Report Abuse

You might want add following criteria for tracking:

c)The earning consistency.

kikiki

10bagger10

1,007 posts

Posted by 10bagger10 > 2017-01-17 16:43 | Report Abuse

Dear master kcchongnz,

TQVM for your enlightenment.

arowana

13 posts

Posted by arowana > 2017-01-17 17:14 | Report Abuse

Is there any master in stock market???? You must be insane!

The master of today might be turn into loser of tomorrow!

LOL

bracoli

2,579 posts

Posted by bracoli > 2017-01-17 21:21 | Report Abuse

To all, tonorrow can c c magni loh..
Good div mahh..

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2017-01-18 10:53 | Report Abuse

Posted by datuk > Jan 17, 2017 03:32 PM | Report Abuse

I think two criteria need to be met before could qualify as dividend stock:

a) The annual dividend yield must more than the current fix deposit rate.
b) The dividend yield on (a)must be maintained for 5 years.

perhaps, with this definition, your investment mind won't be confused and you will think rationally.

RAIDER ADD MORE CRITERIA LOH....!!

C)THE SUSTAINABLE CASHFLOW MUST BE MORE THAN DIVIDEND PAYOUT.
D) PREFERABLY PROFIT FAR EXCEED DIVIDEND PAYOUT LOH...!!
E) DEBT LEVEL LOW LOH...!!

CFTrader

812 posts

Posted by CFTrader > 2017-01-19 09:33 | Report Abuse

in Malaysia, I can offer you advice of getting return 6% with minimal risk (near /absolute 0.01% risk) without charging you any money.

Go to PNB and get your money vested in Amanah Saham if you can't take any risk.

Sincerely,
CFTrader

3iii

12,819 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2017-01-19 09:47 | Report Abuse

As deposit accounts pay very low interests or next to nothing, dividends on shares seem attractive. But you'll need to choose carefully.

3iii

12,819 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2017-01-19 09:49 |

Post removed.Why?

3iii

12,819 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2017-01-19 09:50 | Report Abuse

So just buying the shares with the highest dividend, without researching how safe that dividend is, can be a mistake.

There are now a huge range of high yielding blue chips but it is best to look for a dividend that is less likely to be cut even if that company's profits fall.

3iii

12,819 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2017-01-19 09:52 | Report Abuse

A high yield alone is not synonymous with a decent dividend.

If you carry out thorough research and pick the right shares, you will get better value for your cash than by leaving it in a savings account.

3iii

12,819 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2017-01-19 09:52 |

Post removed.Why?

3iii

12,819 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2017-01-19 09:54 | Report Abuse

Once again, for those who invest for yield or income - either Dividend Yield Investing or Dividend Growth Investing - STOCK SELECTION is still the key.

3iii

12,819 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2017-01-19 10:01 | Report Abuse

Search out for those companies that have a good chance of sustaining or even increasing their dividends.

If you are knowledgeable, you can even anticipate and avoid those companies that may skip or reduce their dividends in the future.

Stock selection is the key to dividend yield investing.

3iii

12,819 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2017-01-19 10:16 | Report Abuse

Some investors look at historic yields; some at forecast (or "prospective") yields.

But either way, those yields can be unexploded mines, lurking for the unwary. Looking at yield on its own, in short, can quickly introduce you -- painfully -- to the meaning of the term "yield trap".

3iii

12,819 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2017-01-19 10:17 | Report Abuse

The yield trap is simply explained.

You buy a share, attracted by the high yield. But the dividend is then cut, or cancelled -- leaving you without the anticipated income. Worse, unsupported by the payout, the share price usually falls as well, leaving you also nursing a capital loss.

Let's see it in action.

Company A pays out 9 pence a share, with shares changing hands for 100 pence per share. So the dividend yield -- which is the dividend per share, divided by the share price, and multiplied by a hundred to turn it into a percentage -- is 9%.

But that 9 pence is unsustainable. Company A then halves its dividend, slashing investors' income. What happens to the yield? If the share drops to -- say -- 80 pence, the historic yield the becomes 5.6%. The "yield on cost" figure, of course, is 4.5%.

3iii

12,819 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2017-01-19 10:19 | Report Abuse

Dividend cover

How, then, should investors spot potential yield traps? The most obvious reason for slashing the dividend is that the business simply hasn't got the money to pay it.
The business's earnings, in short, aren't large enough to support a distribution to shareholders at historic levels.

Put another way, actual earnings per share aren't sufficiently large when compared to the anticipated dividend per share.

Which is where the notion of 'dividend cover' comes in: earnings per share divided by dividend per share.

3iii

12,819 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2017-01-19 10:20 | Report Abuse

Interpret Dividend Cover with care

Now, dividend cover shouldn't be followed blindly.

Some businesses -- such as utilities, for instance -- can quite happily operate with lower levels of dividend cover than more cyclical businesses.

Other businesses -- such as REITs -- must pay out a fixed proportion of earnings as dividends, so again a low level of dividend cover is the norm.

Still other businesses have very high levels of dividend cover, because they are growing -- and therefore retaining earnings for future investment -- rather than paying them out as dividends.

But as a broad brush generalisation,

- A ratio of close to one is definitely the danger zone.
- A ratio much bigger than two indicates a certain parsimony.
- A ratio of 1.5-2.5 is usually what I'm looking for.

3iii

12,819 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2017-01-19 11:11 |

Post removed.Why?

Dolly_Chai

738 posts

Posted by Dolly_Chai > 2017-02-03 16:20 | Report Abuse

worth to take a look at Zhulian now as the fundamentals have improved and the company is growing to other indo china countries. Can also watch out for Uchitec

Post a Comment
Market Buzz