SASBADI HOLDINGS BHD

KLSE (MYR): SASBADI (5252)

You're accessing 15 mins delay data. Turn on live stream now to enjoy real-time data!

Last Price

Today's Change

+0.005 (3.45%)

Day's Change

0.15 - 0.15

Trading Volume

8 people like this.

3,190 comment(s). Last comment by Robert Waters 1 month ago

kevin008

1,360 posts

Posted by kevin008 > 2017-11-02 21:47 | Report Abuse

KUALA LUMPUR (Nov 2): Educational material publisher Sasbadi Holdings Bhd has inked a distribution agreement with Marshall Cavendish Education Pte Ltd (MCE), which is principally involved in providing K-12 educational solutions in Singapore.

Under the agreement, MCE grants Sasbadi’s wholly-owned unit Malaysian Book Promotions Sdn Bhd the exclusive right to market and sell, including by way of direct marketing, certain titles published by MCE, in Malaysia.

They include textbooks, workbooks, teacher resources, and supplementary and general materials. The agreement will take effect from Nov 1 and will last till Sept 30, 2020, Sasbadi’s Bursa Malaysia filing today showed.

[X] CLOSE

Sponsored Content

Headquartered in Singapore and incorporated in 1981, MCE also has offices in Hong Kong, Thailand, Chile and the United States.

To date, its solutions have been adapted into multiple languages and used in over 60 countries, including in private and international schools in Malaysia, Sasbadi said.

MCE may renew the agreement for subsequent periods of two years each, at its sole discretion, based on terms and conditions to be mutually agreed by both parties.

Sasbadi said the new agreement is expected to contribute positively to its earnings and net assets during the duration of the agreement.

Its share price fell 0.5 sen or 0.63% to settle at 79 sen yesterday, giving it a market capitalisation of RM331.09 million. The counter has declined 15.96% from 94 sen on Jan 2.

Hk Wong

420 posts

Posted by Hk Wong > 2017-11-03 10:45 | Report Abuse

the price already built in the announcement

RainT

8,448 posts

Posted by RainT > 2017-11-03 12:48 | Report Abuse

Those who not understand Sasbadi please don't come here bull shit! !!

Sasbadi now have venture into digitalk education quite some time and now expanding on this digital education

RainT

8,448 posts

Posted by RainT > 2017-11-03 12:49 | Report Abuse

It is not just printing hard copy books only !

It also have many digital education products !

RainT

8,448 posts

Posted by RainT > 2017-11-03 12:51 | Report Abuse

So Sasbadi will not become obsolete and in fact it is keeping up with the trends!

Digital education trend

kevin008

1,360 posts

Posted by kevin008 > 2017-11-03 12:52 | Report Abuse

haha later they will say u sinkalan hehe
anyway now super cheap..can collect more

RainT

8,448 posts

Posted by RainT > 2017-11-03 12:53 | Report Abuse

If you compare with Pelangi ( also listed in Bursa) ....Sasbadi have digital education biz

Pelangi don't have

And listed school publisher only have 2 companies .....Sasbadi and Pelangi

Sasbadi is the best !

EPF buying and holding Sasbadi but not Pelangi

kevin008

1,360 posts

Posted by kevin008 > 2017-11-03 12:53 | Report Abuse

http://www.bursamalaysia.com/market/listed-companies/company-announcements/5592105

epf buy again...epf will thanks for those sell cheap

Posted by Thepainfultruth > 2017-11-05 10:27 | Report Abuse

Really so good?

RainT

8,448 posts

Posted by RainT > 2017-11-05 13:40 | Report Abuse

So good or not ....you need to do research and understand the company

Should be based on your own judgement

But for me , from my study and research ...Sasbadi is a good company but need keep in fridge and open after 1 year to check turn to be gold or not

Sasbadi need buy in stages , buy slowly , in batches and buy when it drop

Cannot one short buy all

Posted by pakatan_harapan2 > 2017-11-05 13:42 | Report Abuse

Latest QR revenue lowest ever got hope?
http://klse.i3investor.com/servlets/stk/fin/5252.jsp

Posted by Thepainfultruth > 2017-11-06 23:16 | Report Abuse

The ministry of education is being very strict with ikthisas 1/2000.

Student from year 1 to 3 CANNOT buy any buku kerja. Students from year 4 to 6 can only 1 book for BM, ENG, MATHS and SCIENCE.

As one of the largest school book publisher, this is a veth very bad news for SAS.

RainT

8,448 posts

Posted by RainT > 2017-11-07 22:18 | Report Abuse

Yes , this might have same bad effect to Sasbadi as will affect it sales of books

Eventhough Sasbadi venture into digital education materials and its prospect looks good

But it's core business still within the hard copy book publishing for now

Let's wait for another qtr to see Sasbadi can profit or not

RainT

8,448 posts

Posted by RainT > 2017-11-07 22:56 | Report Abuse

Today closing price 0.78 is 52 weeks low price

Time to average down if you still have trust in Sasbadi

cheeseburger

2,853 posts

Posted by cheeseburger > 2017-11-07 23:44 | Report Abuse

this is in regard to the whole education system in this country.

The students will still need more practice by doing more exercise if they want improve. Even the school cannot set this as mandatory, the parents will still buy for their children as revision.

In short term this education system cant change much. We cannot expect the children learn like oversea country where they may not even have exercise book to use. i doubt the teachers are prepared for this kind of teaching in western style. Well, i dont think this going to happen overnight!

Looking at the facts the gov is going to build more primary schools. and our population has grown to new record. SAS will still in good position to sustain growth.

Posted by Thepainfultruth > 2017-11-08 01:34 | Report Abuse

SAS core business is still very much in it's print publishing, namely sasbadi sdn bhd and malaysian book promotion sdn bhd, contributed to the bulk (approx. >70%) of it's revenue.

However, the sales from these 2 subsidiaries dropped more than 11.80% year on year. Cost increased and sales dropped, sounds like mismanagement to me.

I don't think this stock is good to buy or keep.

Posted by Thepainfultruth > 2017-11-08 01:42 | Report Abuse

Talking about the digital platform, have you guys heard about Khan Academy?

They provide all courses online for free!

https://www.khanacademy.org

Why would you pay when you can get good quality materials for free?

My children learn from here. Don't see a good reason why SAS online platform sales will soar.

jibbie

762 posts

Posted by jibbie > 2017-11-08 08:35 | Report Abuse

my children attend national school. most of the parents I know still use sasbadi textbooks. the long term prospects are good.

thanks for the link. didn't know about khan academy.

Posted by Mishelle > 2017-11-08 20:49 | Report Abuse

So, to let go or not to let go?

Hafid

1,135 posts

Posted by Hafid > 2017-11-10 05:28 | Report Abuse

I think the price shall drop to 0.50sen

Posted by Thepainfultruth > 2017-11-10 08:29 | Report Abuse

It's a decision that you need to make Mishelle.

I make my decision based on the financial figures, it's like the medical report of a person after a medical check up. A medical report tells you whether a person is healthy or has cancer. Similarly, a financial report tells us whether a company is healthy or not.

Based on the latest quarter financial report, thereis a big loss before and after tax. Revenue has dropped tremendously but cost has incteased significantly, hence leading to a nett loss.

From the financial report, I cant say that the company is healthy. And there is a very high percentage of internal billing, i.e. the revenue contributed by internal company selling to another internal company. These are essentially not revenue because they are not generated from customers. For example in Q4 2016, the internal billing amounted to more than RM9,772,000, which is about half of the total revenue.

Sanofi

576 posts

Posted by Sanofi > 2017-11-10 11:18 | Report Abuse

you mean they are manipulate the financial statements within own companies?

Posted by Thepainfultruth > 2017-11-10 11:52 | Report Abuse

Sanofi, you may get a copy of their financial report from SAS official website.

Don't just follow my opinions, read up on the report and interpret the result.

At the end of the day, you are responsible for your own investment :) but for sure we can share views and resources

Posted by Quan Fu Gan > 2017-11-10 12:06 | Report Abuse

Sasbadi, pls don’t fall anymore. Up up up. Praying hard

Sanofi

576 posts

Posted by Sanofi > 2017-11-10 12:15 | Report Abuse

i plan to invest in this counter, and i have checked the report.. it seen normal for me, then i must miss out something.. have to relook again!

Posted by Thepainfultruth > 2017-11-10 13:54 | Report Abuse

Sanofi, you may check out the Q4 2016 report for internal billing, contributing to 38.59% of the undiscounted revenue.

It's called "inter company elimination" in the report.

Posted by Thepainfultruth > 2017-11-10 14:11 | Report Abuse

Quan,

Praying is not sufficient in this case :)

July 2017, SAS paid RM9.4 million in cash to Law En Tzer, to acquire the remaining 30% stake in Sanjung Unggul Sdn Bhd. As below:

http://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/sasbadi-buy-remaining-30-stake-publisher-chinese-school-educational-materials-rm94m

From I what I see in the financial report, Sanjung unggul gives a gross profit of RM5,779,000 in financial year ended 31 Aug 2016. But this gross profit dropped to RM5,421,000 in financial year ended 31 Aug 2017.

My question for the management is: "Why make an acquisition decision that is not benefiting the company?" You paid RM9,400,000 to Law En Tzer, who coincidentally happens to be the family member of the managing director, but that decision resulted in a reduced income for the company.

It doesn't make good business sense to me.

Sanofi

576 posts

Posted by Sanofi > 2017-11-10 16:38 | Report Abuse

Thank you@Thepainfultruth! i need to study the financial report again and according to your explanation to Quan, it this mean they are transferring company money out for they buddy!

RainT

8,448 posts

Posted by RainT > 2017-11-10 23:21 | Report Abuse

Wow wow ....very good

Now Sasbadi forum so lau juak!!!!

RainT

8,448 posts

Posted by RainT > 2017-11-10 23:26 | Report Abuse

Actually inter company sales does not effect to the income statement

When prepare income statement , they must follow accounting principles where all inter company sales and inter company costs will be eliminated

All the sales and expenses in income statement is with external parties only

So how high internal billings also , at the consolidated level , it will be eliminated and no effect

RainT

8,448 posts

Posted by RainT > 2017-11-10 23:29 | Report Abuse

@Thepainfultruth
Thanks for info , never know that they acquire Sanjung Unggul is the Law director family member

This hint that this company something wrong , like they use Sasbadi for own purpose , management not good

Will check further , if truth then Sasbadi is a SELL , not worth to hold on

RainT

8,448 posts

Posted by RainT > 2017-11-12 11:14 | Report Abuse

Sitting on 25% unrealized loss now

Is it all my research , study and understanding of Sasbadi is wrong ?

Why the share price keep on drop ....

Posted by Thepainfultruth > 2017-11-12 21:19 | Report Abuse

RainT, maybe a good place to start your research is by finding out who is Law En Tzer and his relationship with the MD Law King Hui

RainT

8,448 posts

Posted by RainT > 2017-11-13 01:13 | Report Abuse

Both the Law is family members ...

But family members and related parties is OK as long as the company running properly and profitable

RainT

8,448 posts

Posted by RainT > 2017-11-13 01:15 | Report Abuse

Many listed companies also have related parties

Important is Sasbadi run by good management and profitable

Now unrealised loss 25% within short term don't think will go up 25 %

Posted by Thepainfultruth > 2017-11-13 07:51 | Report Abuse

July 2017, SAS paid RM9.4 million in cash to Law En Tzer, to acquire the remaining 30% stake in Sanjung Unggul Sdn Bhd. As below:

http://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/sasbadi-buy-remaining-30-stake-publisher-chinese-school-educational-materials-rm94m

From I what I see in the financial report, Sanjung unggul gives a gross profit of RM5,779,000 in financial year ended 31 Aug 2016. But this gross profit dropped to RM5,421,000 in financial year ended 31 Aug 2017.

My question for the management is: "Why make an acquisition decision that is not benefiting the company?" You paid RM9,400,000 to Law En Tzer, who coincidentally happens to be the family member of the managing director, but that decision resulted in a reduced income for the company.

It doesn't make good business sense to me.

Posted by Thepainfultruth > 2017-11-13 07:54 | Report Abuse

Good point RainT, it's ok if SAS is run by good management and profitable. But the fact is that it is not. From what I observed it is a downward trend, revenue plunged and cost soared, sounds like mismanagement.

Posted by powerinvestor > 2017-11-13 11:35 | Report Abuse

Finally the truth sinks in.

My friend was recruited as one of their MLM scheme selling their digital products. He left at the end due to the bad experience he had. A few reasons he gave:

1. Incompetent Product. The digital product by sasbadi is merely a digitalization of its school books, it is just a book but in digital format. Other products in the market offer lively interaction with great graphics and customised marking. It was a hype with SAS product initially, but true as he told me, now everything is crumbling. Product is king, a good product will yield good revenue.

Other better products in the market are eg: Fullamark, khanacademy, ilearning.

2. Weak training. He was told to go to fight a war but with minimal training and resources. No info on the market trend. Was quite a humiliating experience when his prospects showed him other better products in the market.

3. Low and late commission. Commissions promised was not received in due time. Despite repeated reminders and 'begging; 'wages were delayed. Dont ever say yes to them.

4. Poor management. Infighting between own people. No clear line between sales territory. at the end, sales lead and sales rep overlapped, resulted in price war.

Sanofi

576 posts

Posted by Sanofi > 2017-11-13 11:54 | Report Abuse

This company heavily depend on Government projects, schools have recently cancelled exercise books and it might lead this company revenue deep further! i reckoned.

Posted by Quan Fu Gan > 2017-11-14 07:55 | Report Abuse

I just know that to invest the company need cash flow and less debt.

Posted by powerinvestor > 2017-11-14 12:01 | Report Abuse

One question you must ask yourself is, what is the company doing with your money?

Is the company doing things to spike the share price or is it really a growing company.

Is has announced that it will acquire one company a year. But the acquisition of own company is the biggest joke ever. You take our money to buy your companies belonging to your immediate family members. This is not acquisition. This is putting money into your own pocket.

And worst still, you made SAS lose company due to this acquisition.

SAS management, please focus your time to RUN THE BUSINESS WELL, but not on how to up the share price by news and announcements.

I agree with @Thepainfultruth, this company is not trustworthy nor transparent in their management.

Posted by Thepainfultruth > 2017-11-15 18:47 | Report Abuse

Sanofi, yes I think so.

I looked at the standard 1 and form 1 new textbook list. These are new textbook starting 2017.

I don't see anything from SAS in year 1. For Form 1, 0 subject also. That means bad news for SAS.

Before listing they have quite many textbooks, but now...no government project for SAS means sales will drop to rock bottom. i think the revenue will bye bye further..

Yusof63

1 posts

Posted by Yusof63 > 2017-11-15 20:36 | Report Abuse

Thepainfultruth,
You didnt do your proper research. Actually sasbadi do not produce text book for KPM.
That the job of Dewan Bahasa. Sasbadi only secure a few text book contract from gov. The rest of it revenue come from open market through it buku tambahan n exercise book.

Sasbadi hs produced all range of books from Standard 1 to form six. Including new curriculum of KSSM for form 1 n form 4 in 2017 this year.

KPM has introduced 21st learning concept through it Dasar PPPM toward digital education.
Sasbadi now also transforming it contents toward digital content inline with dasar KPM.
Sasbadi now distribute its digital content/product through Mindtech Education one of SAS new subsidiary. The business is growing big now n going to give a big impact to the group.
Time to buy now...

Posted by Thepainfultruth > 2017-11-16 23:03 | Report Abuse

Yusof63, do you work for SAS? Looks like what you have said is not supported by data but driven by pure emotions.

Textbook is a big and vital part for SAS. If it were not so, will SAS be so eager to make announcement for EACH and EVERY successful tender that it gets?

What you say doesn't change the fact that SAS failed to secure the tenders it wished. Of the near to 100 textbook tenders in 2017, how many did SAS managed to secure?

You said time to buy? I say it is highly likely that you work for SAS.

HAVENT YOU HEARD THAT HARD SELL DOESNT WORK??

RainT

8,448 posts

Posted by RainT > 2017-11-16 23:17 | Report Abuse

0.745 .....another 1 year new low !!!!

RainT

8,448 posts

Posted by RainT > 2017-11-17 15:10 | Report Abuse

@Thepainfultruth

Hi, can share from where you get information about the list of Standard 1 and Form 1 new textbook list ?

From where we can see the government school book list ?

Pls share

Sanofi

576 posts

Posted by Sanofi > 2017-11-17 17:22 | Report Abuse

Thank Thepainfultruth!i am sourcing for other potential company!

RainT

8,448 posts

Posted by RainT > 2017-11-18 00:24 | Report Abuse

Finally sell of Sas and realised the loss 25% :
Among the lesson learnt are :

1. Failed to follow cut off rules set by myself again. Lost of over 20% is already hard to recoup in short term

2. If company profit drop due to operating reason and not one off item for continuous 2 qtr , it is indication that the company prospect is deteriorating. Sas is this in this case, profit drop due to operating not one off item

3. Balance sheet wise,from net cash , now become net debt. Also the inventory and debtors amount are growing by quarter. This indicate something wrong with Sas management , cash is tie up in inventory and debtors.

4. Bad benchmark ratio , PE high due to recent loss , ROE low , and low dividend yield

5. News is not good always . Such as promoting Sas acqusition etc . But acq is bad company and for related parties. For me , related parties is OK, as long it is good company . But in Sas case it is not .

6. Big fund buying is not necessarily a good thing. We small shareholders will not know what is the behind motive EPF is buying even profit dropping. Maybe EPF want to include a education company in their portfolio or etc. Big fund can hold very long and Sas loss in drop share price only small thing to them . Don't follow blindy when big funds and directors buying / selling . Need study the reason behind.

SasbadI prospect, profit , balance sheet , ratio all is on the bad side !

Lesson learnt and move on to better company !

Post a Comment
Market Buzz