18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2014-09-18 21:07 | Report Abuse

totally agreed x 3

Posted by SeriousInvestor1945 > 2014-09-18 21:11 | Report Abuse

FULLY AGREE

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2014-09-18 21:14 | Report Abuse

i like bursa dummy. He / she sounds like a rationale person, minus the ego and arrogance that comes with success in life

bsngpg

2,842 posts

Posted by bsngpg > 2014-09-18 21:44 | Report Abuse

I have to agree totally with the strategy of buying good company and hold for very long term. However please allow me to express different view that it is not necessarily right at all the times and all shares. Example Zhulian, the company keeps on growing unabatedly, as well its share price. And out of sudden from nowhere its earning and share price diarrhea likes nobody business from 5+ to now 2+. Mahsing, CIMB, Genting and GenM are another few examples where holding good companies for long term is not equal to huge profit as at today. Nevertheless, positive return is still there.

(maybe few years later they will explode)

NOBY

936 posts

Posted by NOBY > 2014-09-19 00:15 | Report Abuse

I normally dont like to hold a stock that already has too much expectation built in the share price... such stocks will fall hard at the slightest drop in earnings. Rather get them cheap when they are still unnoticed. Holding for long term certainly works if u hit the jackpot but not all stocks are like HuaYang...

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2014-09-19 00:31 | Report Abuse

Bsngpg I don't think you should hold indefinitely.

I hold for about 100% profit and them cash out. It usually took 2 to 3 years.

I don't believe in short term trading. But you need to be nimble also. Don't be afraid to take profit if there is satisfactory profit

youlee

762 posts

Posted by youlee > 2014-09-19 02:06 | Report Abuse

So buy Ekovest now and after 2 years, 200 percent up. Hopefully.

Posted by stockoperator > 2014-09-19 12:16 | Report Abuse

During Bull, stocks reach the Top at different time. If you are good then you can opt for Rotation and Re-Balancing every quarter.

During Bear, almost all reach Bottom at the same time.

tptan45

388 posts

Posted by tptan45 > 2014-09-19 14:11 | Report Abuse

Hmmm, with hindsight yes. Maybe you can workout the same thing if you had bought something like MAS?

jkct01

25 posts

Posted by jkct01 > 2014-09-19 15:04 | Report Abuse

I totally agree with your post. Hope to learn more from you!

Kevin Wong

416 posts

Posted by Kevin Wong > 2014-09-19 15:19 | Report Abuse

Have a portfolio of 6 to 10 stocks. Choose counters that have a record of uptrending profits & share price. Hold for about 2 years, then keep the winners & dump the losers. There are of course many other investing methods & strategies. I also believe that small investors, need a little bit of luck. I believe one should never try to time or outsmart mart - concentrate on individual counters instead of trying to outmanoeuvre market. But, i don't know whether all this works for all or not, it howeverr gave me - above average market beating return.

bsngpg

2,842 posts

Posted by bsngpg > 2014-09-19 19:27 | Report Abuse

Dilemma of long term investors. On one side, it is their investing philosophy to hold forever as long as the company is still growing, on another side is the risk of profit vaporization. By the time, the deterioration of company's profit is confirmed, share price must have dropped significantly, and so their paper profit. Therefore to sell or not to is the most difficult thing to judge and to me it is much depend on luck.

yongyou

4,676 posts

Posted by yongyou > 2014-09-20 13:17 | Report Abuse

good sharing

Posted by stockoperator > 2014-09-20 14:45 | Report Abuse

Dear bsngpg

I think it is time to let Zhulian go. If it is Only Zhulian, then you are making less mistakes than me, than Warren, than whoever is.

I think you are totally doing fine, good and fantastic. But most of the time we are too critical of ourselves instead of patting ourselves on the back. So what do we do? We change course and method all the time. End of the day we are not going anywhere again.

You are with me all the time in my every counter. If you are wrong then i am wrong also.

Posted by stockoperator > 2014-09-20 14:56 | Report Abuse

Surely we try to learn something out of Zhulian.

In hindsight we should learn more about its business model, without such knowledge, we cant say whether it is good price to invest even Now.

What happens to Zhulian will happen to any stocks that we hold. It wont be luck alone to invest or not at this price.

Posted by stockoperator > 2014-09-20 15:14 | Report Abuse

Well, all and bsngpg

In our course of portfolio investment and building long term wealth, we will tumble along for sure. Along the way, we will weed and tender to our portfolio like a patient gardener and like a patient gardener, we will pull the weeds, apply fertilizer and wait patiently for fruits in years to come.

bsngpg

2,842 posts

Posted by bsngpg > 2014-09-20 16:57 | Report Abuse

Hi Mr. Stockoperator and Mr. Icon8888: Thank you very much for good words.

Even though Zhulian was quoted as an example from 5+ to 2+ to SUPPORT the discussed topic, it should be confined within those bought from 2+ to 5+.
In my actual case, I incurred big paper or theoretical loss from 5+ to 2+ because during RM5.0 and above, I was really pondering very hard each day if I should sell. Unfortunately I did not sell any.

Nevertheless, I would very HUMBLY and quietly to tell that my current return from Zhulian is still very “fairy tale” >200% @ 5 years.

In my long journey of investment, three catastrophic and very expensive errors were made which made me almost impossible to make reasonable return for long term CAGR even for another many years to come unless there are another few more heavy holdings turn to fairies such as Mahsing and Padini.

In short, I still very strongly believe in long term hold strategy.

bsngpg

2,842 posts

Posted by bsngpg > 2014-09-20 18:12 | Report Abuse

Hi Stock: after your highlight, I am now realize that we really have many similarity in selection of stocks. I believe you have Fimacorp which I do not have but I do have KFima, one of my passive holding.

Posted by stockoperator > 2014-09-20 22:11 | Report Abuse

Dear friend,

yap.

In my mind Now however is to have A good check list to Avoid catastrophic and Very expensive Mistake in future since you mentioned.

i think it is quite common among us. It can be either one of them:

1) Highly priced popular tech due to High growth expectation;
2) Long years of unabated profit and growth starts crumbling down;
3) Not understanding its Business Nature and Business Model Only knows the figures;
4) Chasing the price;

The above is Not the Mistakes If we manage the small losses. The above will Only become an expensive mistake if We don't admit our ignorance and double down and triple down on Our losses.

Am I right, my friend?

Well at the same time we are so good to invest in bad times and i always wait for the moments to double down and triple down. So what do we do Now?

It is the moments of truth of Break and Make. Let's see what we made of. Let's see if we can understand that moment and the moments.

speakup

25,088 posts

Posted by speakup > 2014-09-20 22:35 | Report Abuse

INVEST! dont speculate

Post a Comment
Market Buzz