3 people like this.

84 comment(s). Last comment by Philip ( buy what you understand) 2020-05-07 12:36

Posted by Philip (Honesty is expensive. Dont expect frm cheap ppl ) > 2020-04-11 23:02 | Report Abuse

https://youtu.be/xXHbXrRdQ-I

This is also a wonderful episode, that gained a lot of viewers and subscribers from vietnam.

Posted by Philip (Honesty is expensive. Dont expect frm cheap ppl ) > 2020-04-11 23:10 | Report Abuse

FYI, I don't own a single share in this company. I may or may not buy stocks in STAR, I am not obligated to inform you if I do.

And yes, Warren has sold all the newspapers companies that he has to another party.

KLCI King

3,220 posts

Posted by KLCI King > 2020-04-11 23:14 | Report Abuse

Story teller 讲故佬? Or fortune teller 仙家佬?you guess.

Answer is...... Time will tell.

qqq33333333

3,053 posts

Posted by qqq33333333 > 2020-04-12 00:46 | Report Abuse

Jaks vs GKent end 2019.............you lost...................

how about SCIB vs Star end 2020?

philips?

Posted by Philip (Honesty is expensive. Dont expect frm cheap ppl ) > 2020-04-12 05:09 | Report Abuse

Sorry, lose what again? I didn't know I was competing anything against you? Who are you by the way? You only joined the forum in February 2020, how did I have any "bet" with you at end 2019?

Posted by Philip (Honesty is expensive. Dont expect frm cheap ppl ) > 2020-04-12 05:26 | Report Abuse

How about now, today,

Gkent 0.685
Jaks 0.965

We start today 12 April 2020, and we end 12 April 2021.

Loser buys the winner a meal at 海底捞, is that ok?

You get your full Jaks powerplant startup by end December, and a quarter to see what the real earnings and revenues are. And I get 48% claim for lrt3 and mrt2 works revenue to come in.

I think that sounds fair.

Mabel

23,483 posts

Posted by Mabel > 2020-04-12 08:44 | Report Abuse

Good article Philip!

Thanks for sharing your research..

I'm still holding Star and I agree with what wrote.

I have no intention to sell Star. It's a good and credible company which is a strategic Asset to own and well backed up too.

Meow..

i3lurker

13,669 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2020-04-12 09:25 |

Post removed.Why?

Posted by Philip (Honesty is expensive. Dont expect frm cheap ppl ) > 2020-04-12 09:34 | Report Abuse

Personally I wouldn't mind paying rm10 per month to get access to online video feed for all of Jason's food,mark Wien's travelogue,yitiao video content on thestar webpage,on top of localized journalism content and investigative journalism.

i3lurker

13,669 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2020-04-12 09:39 | Report Abuse

its comparative pricing.

once you subscribe to New York Times, you never look back.

the quality standard of Star does not even approach 1% of New York Times quality. Food and Travel are one of the pillars of NYT as well.

before you drive a Mercedes most people will say a Kancil is very good quality

Posted by Philip (Honesty is expensive. Dont expect frm cheap ppl ) > 2020-04-12 09:45 | Report Abuse

Well you are paying 190 million for 800 million in assets of which 380 million is pure cash.

If they finally find a semi capable CEO willing to restructure the entire the mindset of the company to embrace digitalisation methods, it could become an interesting endeavour.

The search continues.

i3lurker

13,669 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2020-04-12 09:47 | Report Abuse

it boggles the mind that a foreign newspaper like NYT thousands of miles away can write a much better article on Malacca than any reporter from STAR

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/world/asia/malacca-malaysia-globalization.html?action=click&auth=login-email&login=email&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

Hannah Beech
Hannah Beech has been the Southeast Asia bureau chief for The Times since August 2017. She covers more than 10 countries in a region with some of the world’s fastest growth rates and largest tracts of rainforest and spiciest cuisine, as well as a growing collection of strongmen governments. She lives in Bangkok. More

i3lurker

13,669 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2020-04-12 09:48 | Report Abuse

any other person, even me, can be a better CEO

how difficult is that?

i3lurker

13,669 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2020-04-12 09:53 |

Post removed.Why?

Posted by Philip (Honesty is expensive. Dont expect frm cheap ppl ) > 2020-04-12 10:27 | Report Abuse

Very interesting.

On what basis do you say the Star Media Group is near bankruptcy? Is this another speed of light insights that you have where you went back to the future and saw the LIGHT?

this is a fact based investing forum. Please limit your insights to non-fiction.

Or give exact details why the accounts and business fundamentals of the star Media show losses every year, heavy debt and huge creditors which will lead to bankruptcy.

If you cannot, then I expect you to retract your statements.

>>>>>>>>>>

Good CEOs understand what the customer wants,
not just stuffing the website with interstitials coz you are near to bankruptcy.
When you convey message you are near to bankruptcy, no one will want to subscribe.

Posted by Philip (Honesty is expensive. Dont expect frm cheap ppl ) > 2020-04-12 10:33 | Report Abuse

Spoken like a child.

>>>>>>>>>>

i3lurker any other person, even me, can be a better CEO

how difficult is that?
12/04/2020 9:48 AM

i3lurker

13,669 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2020-04-12 10:43 | Report Abuse

Buying stocks is risky. When you think buying a company just because it is selling below nta( value investing margin of safety) is safe, that is when you do not look at ALL the factors. There are many other types of margins of safety, which I am sure you are starting to realize, after disasters like xinquan( NTA margin of safety), hengyuan (PE margin of safety), you will start to realize things like management ownership ( share buyback, shareholder margin of safety), consistency ( growth of earnings and revenues/debt margin of safety), performance ( ROE margin of safety).

The goal is not to make you rich. It is to help you make better decisions. When you finally start to like analyzing companies, doing valuation and reading about reports for fun? Then you will be rich automatically.

i3lurker

13,669 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2020-04-12 10:47 | Report Abuse

Firstly, my advice is not to follow dividend paying only stocks, because you will invariably be led to REITS, which is a horrible idea in Malaysia. My advice is to follow companies which consistently grow their revenues and earnings every year while controlling debt, liabilities and shareholder dilution to a minimum. You can earn money in many ways other than dividends: via share buybacks, increase of share price due to p/e expansion etc. Note that warrants and share splits do not reward shareholders ( I consider them shareholder dilution).

i3lurker

13,669 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2020-04-12 11:04 | Report Abuse

IF YOU BUY A STOCK JUST BECAUSE CALVIN TAN ENG YEE IS TRYING TO PUMP AND DUMP YOU? THEN YOU SHOULD BE READY FOR THE CONSEQUENCES.

DO YOU OWN DUE DILIGENCE, AND DON'T RELY ON FALSE PROPHETS TO DO YOUR THINKING FOR YOU.

Posted by mamakspecial > 2020-04-12 11:09 | Report Abuse

good article..but you might want to add in this point..the size of malaysia market..30 million population..less than half reads in english..there goes your slice of pie..

our market is too small..not enough people..funds managers...investors to stimulate the industry to make it back to 1 billion . Malaysia biggest company is petronas..that;s it..follow by gloves industry...palm oil is dead in water for now .

unless they venture into new business ..there is no hope dy...would the americans..british watch our asian english content? Definitely no..how about China..? Dont think so too..

if Star suddenly announce they are going to produce gloves or face mask...or even packaging business ..then yes...then only they will grow...

TAKE MY WORD FROM THIS..EVERY1 WILL WEAR FACE MASK AFTER THIS EVEN WHEN THERE IS VACCINE FOR COVID 19 (WHICH IS STILL 1 YEAR TO 1.5 YEARS AWAY)..COS PEOPLE WILL BE SCARED OF ANOTHER SIMILAR OUTBREAK..OF WHATEVER REASON...

THIS IS THE NEW WORLD ORDER..EVEN IF THERE IS VACCINE HOW LONG DO YOU THINK IT WILL TAKE TO INJECT 7 BILLION PEOPLE IN THE WORLD???

qqq33333333

3,053 posts

Posted by qqq33333333 > 2020-04-12 11:33 | Report Abuse

Jaks vs Gkent end 2020?

I will take Gkent.............

qqq33333333

3,053 posts

Posted by qqq33333333 > 2020-04-12 11:48 | Report Abuse

Jaks vs Gkent end 2019

I offered you several times but no response from you....

so technically, I won, u didn't lose.

Posted by Philip (Honesty is expensive. Dont expect frm cheap ppl ) > 2020-04-12 11:50 | Report Abuse

OK.

>>>>>>>>

Posted by qqq33333333 > Apr 12, 2020 11:48 AM | Report Abuse

Jaks vs Gkent end 2019

I offered you several times but no response from you....

so technically, I won, u didn't lose.

Ayoyo

379 posts

Posted by Ayoyo > 2020-04-12 12:06 | Report Abuse

Star media is a dinosaur awaiting extinction.. Sure, it has a nourishing balance sheet but without total business model relook, it's screwed, just like its subscription based business news or its half dead dim sum streaming endeavor

Do you seriously think Jason-like channels can bring the audiences back when the web is full of influencers, channels or food groups who simply needs to post a single picture and a 1 paragraph review to open the spending floodgates

And what's so unique or influential about star news and articles, when with a few clicks, I could read perspectives from different authors, experts, agencies commentaries on the same topic

Content consumption has changed and will continue to evolve.. The consumers prefer short captions, feeds (which then links to info of interest) and they absolutely do NOT like to be sold but the to be inspired to buy instead..

There is talk that star is embracing AI and rumour of partnering a Chinese IT giant, to build AI based consumer experience... For instance, one could be reading a kuali recipe, the AI robot will invoke a feed ,in a subtle no invasive manner, to consider buying the same food via delivery from a restaurant,the chef herself etc

The Star has a huge community but it doesn't know to monetize it.. Only recently has it started to get people to register to read its content.. Why? The purpose is purely to track consumer behavior and build on this data - so that's a start

Newspapers are for the fossil era..today, the young worships Twitter, Facebook, reddit etc.... In fact, IBM predicts that knowledge and information is now doubling every 12 hours... What is lacking is NOT knowledge but the wisdom to parlay and structure this chaotic information into substance of value

KLCI King

3,220 posts

Posted by KLCI King > 2020-04-12 13:03 | Report Abuse

i3lurker is always straight in his comments, pity on those seated opposite of his view

enning22

2,887 posts

Posted by enning22 > 2020-04-12 15:08 | Report Abuse

stay away from China, Communists never meant for good, It is evil and satanic.

FoolsGold

654 posts

Posted by FoolsGold > 2020-04-12 15:21 | Report Abuse

could u be so kind as to explain what made u see it is evil n satanic ?
the most dangerous evil n satanic may be those one never suspect, they often come in angelic attire & soothing words of goodness.

Posted by tradesnake > 2020-04-12 16:29 | Report Abuse

in the end analysis, the key factor is the management - the people behind the show - cash is just that , cash , new start-ups with brilliant ideas can raise cash from willing investors - that's why they are disrupting and totally obliterating the old ways of doing things or old businesses

Posted by tradesnake > 2020-04-12 16:36 | Report Abuse

the media and entertainment industry has been rocked and disrupted by new technology more than any other industry in recent years (but others may not be safe for long i.e. banking, insurance, etc) , most old players are struggling to make heads or tails of the new onslaught - just check what media outlets/apps your children or nephews nieces are logged in - and also what passes as entertainment these days

Posted by Philip (Honesty is expensive. Dont expect frm cheap ppl ) > 2020-04-12 17:11 | Report Abuse

Cash will always be cash and it will always be there, especially backed by good dividends.

I believe that Star Media Group has all the tools and weapons to compete in the market. They still have the biggest subscription markets of English newspaper in Malaysia.

That is the difference between it being a screaming buy for me and a cigar butt company in my book.

But you are right, current management does not know how to monetize content and produce it effectively currently.

However with the right CEO and mindset in play, I think they can easily break the current price, which is selling below net cash levels.

This is how I look at it currently and why I believe the Star will be a penny stock that can be invested in.

Turning the business around is definitely difficult, but not an impossible task.

Bobii

358 posts

Posted by Bobii > 2020-04-12 17:34 | Report Abuse

forget about Star. Malaysiakini and the edge ftw

Posted by Philip (Honesty is expensive. Dont expect frm cheap ppl ) > 2020-04-12 17:48 | Report Abuse

Those are all private companies bobii, and start has 390 million on cash, a printing factory, publishing license and a bunch of condominiums and offices.

And zero debt.

patrick8

334 posts

Posted by patrick8 > 2020-04-12 19:03 | Report Abuse

Star would need to infuse two important elements that is the most important-
1. Inspirational Leadership to push the company
2. Quality staff to infuse new ideas and products.
They already have the hardware , but where is the software.?
Star being MCA owned, I don't think they will release their grip on it so easily. My personal opinion is, Star will eventually be cannibalized for it's assets or incorporated into MCA's other political interests.

i3lurker

13,669 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2020-04-13 09:39 | Report Abuse

if wan to buy a good share, low price
and rapidly expanding market share

=>Gdex now only 20 sen

1) just expanding to Vietnam on 20 Dec 2019. Vietnam GDP booming

2) Yamato Transport, Japan Director just appointed on 2 March 2020
Yamato is the oldest and largest market share (41%) of parcel delivery services company in Japan. btw Yamato is also expanding to Vietnam

wink wink

never ever buy a downhill company like Star, no hope, hopeless

buy a growing company like Gdex. Future is bright. courier company

Posted by Philip (Honesty is expensive. Dont expect frm cheap ppl ) > 2020-04-13 09:46 | Report Abuse

If this happens the pump and dump plan will be excellent.

The star is already being valued at below liquidation prices.

With net cash and zero borrowings of 380 million it is already selling at a steep discount.

While waiting for the 50 million bank guarantee from JAKS ( have they paid that yet?) Which was approved by the appeal courts to be paid for LAD delivery since 2018, they are very behind time.

On top of that 140 million sale of land at seksyen 13, they still are owed the tower A of offices for the Star new building.

Yes their position is tenuous, with falling readership and dissapearing earnings.

But I believe they do understand that digitalisation is the way to go, and as long as they are not losing huge amounts of money ( already passed the MSS layover phase), they are a very tight ship now which I do believe should work out in the short to medium term.

Their circulation is still the biggest.

i3lurker

13,669 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2020-04-13 09:49 | Report Abuse

throughout the world, courier companies are doing very well.
Gdex already showed good growth potential by expanding to Vietnam.

Gdex also delivers for Lazada. MCO period still doing well.

When good times comes back, share price will normalise to 40 sen.

double your money without fear or sleepness nights whether company can find a CEO or not. What a joke! buy a company while still looking for CEO?

Star? They are still looking for CEO to stop the ventilator machine before the ventilator machine breaks down?

Gdex is growing and expanding everyday.

qqq33333333

3,053 posts

Posted by qqq33333333 > 2020-04-13 09:50 | Report Abuse

Star not bad..........

but Gdex is all hype ..........u know how many shares they have issued or not?

qqq33333333

3,053 posts

Posted by qqq33333333 > 2020-04-13 09:50 | Report Abuse

Lazada doing their own deliveries also..........

i3lurker

13,669 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2020-04-13 09:52 | Report Abuse

Philip keeps on pressing me for stock recommendations.........

well here you are!!

BUY Gdex at 20 sen

rationale => growing business, buy the growth while its still cheap.

i3lurker

13,669 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2020-04-13 09:53 | Report Abuse

Lazada uses

own
poslaju
Gdex
Skynet

i3lurker

13,669 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2020-04-13 09:55 | Report Abuse

I know coz I bought about RM100,000 worth of goods from Lazada

I complained once to Lazada about poslaju.

Lazada said, its beyond their control coz the merchants will select the courier company.

i3lurker

13,669 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2020-04-13 09:58 |

Post removed.Why?

i3lurker

13,669 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2020-04-13 09:59 | Report Abuse

speculative=> if or once change name to Yamato Malaysia, share price will rocket up.

Posted by Philip (Honesty is expensive. Dont expect frm cheap ppl ) > 2020-04-13 10:01 | Report Abuse

Finally we see the quality of your investing.

>>>>>>>>

Posted by i3lurker > Apr 13, 2020 9:52 AM | Report Abuse

Philip keeps on pressing me for stock recommendations.........

well here you are!!

BUY Gdex at 20 sen

rationale => growing business, buy the growth while its still cheap.

i3lurker

13,669 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2020-04-13 10:05 | Report Abuse

I selected this purely to be pari passu with your selection of Star

just comparing Gdex and Star only

Growth company vs Negative Growth company

Posted by Philip (Honesty is expensive. Dont expect frm cheap ppl ) > Apr 13, 2020 10:01 AM | Report Abuse
Finally we see the quality of your investing.

qqq33333333

3,053 posts

Posted by qqq33333333 > 2020-04-13 10:16 | Report Abuse

lock down, everybody want to buy delivery companies..............but there are at least 50 delivery companies and Malaysia very small place............every year for past 3 years, all delivery companies margin is smaller and smaller due to competition................

want to buy delivery companies, go buy Pos lah................they got delivery points every where in malaysia............but I also not interested............

i3lurker

13,669 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2020-04-13 10:17 | Report Abuse

in the meantime, Yamato Transport, Japan will be chanelling all their parcel business 100% to Gdex for delivery inside Malaysia.

Japanese Director from Yamato appointed on 2 March 2020.

Sslee

5,446 posts

Posted by Sslee > 2020-04-13 10:17 | Report Abuse

Haha i3lurker,
You should select INSAS to compare with Star. Both are cash rich but Insas continues deliver profit of 80 to 100+ million but Star negative profit growth.

i3lurker

13,669 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2020-04-13 10:20 |

Post removed.Why?

Post a Comment
Market Buzz