5 people like this.

20 comment(s). Last comment by Alex™ 2020-05-11 15:22

hpcp

450 posts

Posted by hpcp > 2020-05-03 20:36 | Report Abuse

Hi Choivo. Thanks for the very informative write-up. By the way, how do we participate in rights issue? And where does the dividend go? Into trust account? Thanks

Posted by Choivo Capital > 2020-05-03 20:44 | Report Abuse

Yep.

For rights issue, I'm not sure, but as I understand it should give you the option.

Alex™

12,581 posts

Posted by Alex™ > 2020-05-03 20:45 | Report Abuse

kk summary

1) instarem KL interbiew
2) tradestation global acc ready
3) instarem wire MYR/USD (kantoi cannot), go EUR then IBKR internal convert
4) ??
5) profit

Alex™

12,581 posts

Posted by Alex™ > 2020-05-03 20:46 | Report Abuse

ah jon why u no warn ppl that usa eat 30% div?

Alex™

12,581 posts

Posted by Alex™ > 2020-05-03 20:47 | Report Abuse

tradestation global charges US stock trading $1 per trade ya..

remember, $1 per trade ya....

if you hoot 2 trades in one day, same stock e.g., Gilead buy 50 and buy 10 again, IBKR eat $2

sekian

Posted by Choivo Capital > 2020-05-04 12:13 | Report Abuse

Yeah this tax all kena, but i make sure to focus on non div paying co's. most co's in US focus on buybacks anyway.

But hmm i definitely need to raise this in terms of ETF's. For SP500 ETF, you guys would want to buy the one listed in London, not in the US, or you will kena with holding tax.

Also one thing to note, there is 30% estate tax if you die, so make sure your family members know how to sell everything in the event of your passing and withdraw the cash quickly.

===
Alex™ ah jon why u no warn ppl that usa eat 30% div?
03/05/2020 8:46 PM

Flintstones

1,762 posts

Posted by Flintstones > 2020-05-07 10:22 | Report Abuse

Jon, which US stocks do you hold?

Posted by Philip ( buy what you understand) > 2020-05-07 10:35 | Report Abuse

I invest using td ameritrade, as I like being in control of when and how I buy. I don't like being forced to buy/sell every month and being charged $10 a pmonth as a fee.

Yes it is a small amount, around RM45 after conversion. but imagine being forced to spend RM600 a year to use this service? I'm a cheap guy, as there is no way there is a good deal to buy and sell every month, I buy when it is needed, not because I have to.

TD ameritrade suits me better, they also have an office in singapore, and I can choose not to buy any stocks for 2 years and not have to pay any "penalty".

>>>>>>>>>>>

Accounts with balances of $100,000 or less must meet a minimum of $10 a month in trade commissions, or Interactive Brokers will charge the difference as a monthly fee. Accounts with an equity balance of $2,000 or less must meet minimum trade commissions of $20.

popo92

578 posts

Posted by popo92 > 2020-05-07 17:24 | Report Abuse

Tdameritrade sg charges more than $10 commission per trade. I don’t see why it is a preference choice. Philip securities is a better choice than tdameritade as they offer multi markets with similar charges. IB has the most competitive margin rates I have encountered and their service center are prompted. Commission per trade are very competitive as well. Webull is one good choice too, in aspects they are quite close to IB. They offer free real data quote. Maybe Jon sifu can have a look with webull too

blood7

254 posts

Posted by blood7 > 2020-05-08 02:47 | Report Abuse

hi Choivo, thanks for writing the article i found it very useful, in fact i am trying to open an account with them now. I have a few questions, in the application the use 'First Name, Last Name' order but our naming system is the opposite. What is the format you submitted in your application? Did you encounter any problem with the identity verification process? Did you encountered any problems with transferring and receiving funds, since our banks in Malaysia and Singapore using 'last Name, first Name' format that will be different from InteractiveBrokers or TradeStation's record?

Posted by Philip ( buy what you understand) > 2020-05-08 05:54 | Report Abuse

I only bought foreign stocks twice in the past 1 years. So I only paid 20 USD in commissions for 1 years.

Compare that to if I was with interactive brokers. Whether or not I bought stocks, if I did the same thing I would need to pay 120 USD in commissions or capacity payments even if I did not buy stocks at all.

For me as someone who only has 2 stocks in their portfolio ( both which do not pay dividends).

But one thing too be definitely sure of. The capital protection limit is the same 200k usd, so it might be a good idea to spread your accounts around to protect yourself.

In the end just get whatever makes you feel comfortable. But one thing I do not recommend, never overtrade. One of the big problems with new investors is that they buy and sell too many stocks, and they lose out of the hidden costs of trading.

IB system is designed to make you trade more.
Thinkorswim is more suitable for my investing style as I don't have to keep buying and selling every month. Last year when I bought stoneco I bought 200k shares in one afternoon. After that 1+ year of inactivity.

Fyi I use tdameritrade USA. Cheaper rates, not as low as IB, but acceptable for me.

>>>>>>>>

Posted by popo92 > May 7, 2020 5:24 PM | Report Abuse

Tdameritrade sg charges more than $10 commission per trade. I don’t see why it is a preference choice. Philip securities is a better choice than tdameritade as they offer multi markets with similar charges. IB has the most competitive margin rates I have encountered and their service center are prompted. Commission per trade are very competitive as well. Webull is one good choice too, in aspects they are quite close to IB. They offer free real data quote. Maybe Jon sifu can have a look with webull too

Posted by bursatrader2018 > 2020-05-08 08:46 | Report Abuse

tq for useful info, not sure abt prospects in Overseas, meaning US ?
pls share your insights, any potential market down in the pipeline n what to do then?
newbie here,haiz...

David

112 posts

Posted by David > 2020-05-08 08:54 | Report Abuse

the transaction fees is negligible if you just buy and hold. one of the reasons i use local broker (HL) is because it is easier to structure the will/inheritance.

Posted by Choivo Capital > 2020-05-08 14:54 | Report Abuse

Didnt you buy a few million USD worth of Stonco before this?

Only USD20 fees ah?

Is it TD Ameritrade ah?

IB if you're above 100k, you wont kena the fees.

====
Philip ( buy what you understand) I only bought foreign stocks twice in the past 1 years. So I only paid 20 USD in commissions for 1 years.

Compare that to if I was with interactive brokers. Whether or not I bought stocks, if I did the same thing I would need to pay 120 USD in commissions or capacity payments even if I did not buy stocks at all.

Posted by Choivo Capital > 2020-05-08 14:55 | Report Abuse

Nope, dont have a problem with that.

Any verification is with real human beings. So its fine.

===
blood7 hi Choivo, thanks for writing the article i found it very useful, in fact i am trying to open an account with them now. I have a few questions, in the application the use 'First Name, Last Name' order but our naming system is the opposite. What is the format you submitted in your application? Did you encounter any problem with the identity verification process? Did you encountered any problems with transferring and receiving funds, since our banks in Malaysia and Singapore using 'last Name, first Name' format that will be different from InteractiveBrokers or TradeStation's record?
08/05/2020 2:47 AM

Posted by Choivo Capital > 2020-05-08 15:00 | Report Abuse

By Size

1) Google
2) FB
3) Stoneco
4) Berkshire
5) Master
6) Visa
7) Aercap
8) Netflix

Got a few co's like Credit Acceptance, Synchrony Financials, Ulta Beauty, Collectors Universe, Discovery, Disney etc that i'm stills studying, but it just seems to much simpler to buy more FB or Goog instead.

===
Flintstones Jon, which US stocks do you hold?
07/05/2020 10:22 AM

popo92

578 posts

Posted by popo92 > 2020-05-08 21:32 | Report Abuse

Philip sifu, i had one account used to be tdameritrade USA too, but they transfer my account to tdameritrade sg now. Not sure why they didn't transfer yours but mine instead. I personally like thinkorswim trading platform better than IB. But most of my portfolio is with IB now as I am using IB margin facility which is incredibly cheap (below 1%). Also IB waived USD 10 monthly maintenance fees if our equity balances are more than USD 100k. I believe its not a problem for you as well.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Posted by Philip ( buy what you understand) > May 8, 2020 5:54 AM | Report Abuse

I only bought foreign stocks twice in the past 1 years. So I only paid 20 USD in commissions for 1 years.

For me as someone who only has 2 stocks in their portfolio ( both which do not pay dividends).

But one thing too be definitely sure of. The capital protection limit is the same 200k usd, so it might be a good idea to spread your accounts around to protect yourself.

In the end just get whatever makes you feel comfortable. But one thing I do not recommend, never overtrade. One of the big problems with new investors is that they buy and sell too many stocks, and they lose out of the hidden costs of trading.

IB system is designed to make you trade more.
Thinkorswim is more suitable for my investing style as I don't have to keep buying and selling every month. Last year when I bought stoneco I bought 200k shares in one afternoon. After that 1+ year of inactivity.

Fyi I use tdameritrade USA. Cheaper rates, not as low as IB, but acceptable for me.

Posted by BatmanGMT > 2020-05-09 13:53 | Report Abuse

Foreign brokerage are offering very attractive rates. The trouble seems to be withdrawing funds from the brokerage account into local bank account. Maybank and CIMB has tightened criteria and no longer accept singapore account application without employer pass or education proof (please correct me if I am wrong)

Alex™

12,581 posts

Posted by Alex™ > 2020-05-11 15:21 | Report Abuse

1) Google - p/fcf > 30...apu....
2) FB - ads...
3) Stoneco - warren punya
4) Berkshire - recent after agm kena
5) Master - no comment
6) Visa
7) Aercap
8) Netflix

follow me SEIC (10%), confirm u like. Buy lower than me $52