4 people like this.

175 comment(s). Last comment by nicholas99 2023-01-10 09:13

qqq47660

8,707 posts

Posted by qqq47660 > 2022-12-29 15:29 | Report Abuse

it all depends on the environment.

in this environment, don't lose money very good already

that is why I am very happy very proud of myself and full of confidence.

qqq47660

8,707 posts

Posted by qqq47660 > 2022-12-29 15:36 |

Post removed.Why?

qqq47660

8,707 posts

Posted by qqq47660 > 2022-12-29 15:46 |

Post removed.Why?

qqq47660

8,707 posts

Posted by qqq47660 > 2022-12-29 15:49 |

Post removed.Why?

Zhuge_Liang

2,363 posts

Posted by Zhuge_Liang > 2022-12-29 15:50 |

Post removed.Why?

Zhuge_Liang

2,363 posts

Posted by Zhuge_Liang > 2022-12-29 15:51 |

Post removed.Why?

Posted by Philip ( buy what you understand) > 2022-12-29 15:51 | Report Abuse

qqq, please show some respect on my article and delete unnecessary comments. you can post it elsewhere. As you know I already have your picture, full name and location which I shared with you on telegram. And I know for a fact that you talk much nicer in real life but act very poorly on I3, why?

Please delete the unnecessary comments which are not related to my article now.

qqq47660

8,707 posts

Posted by qqq47660 > 2022-12-29 15:55 |

Post removed.Why?

qqq47660

8,707 posts

Posted by qqq47660 > 2022-12-29 16:14 | Report Abuse

actually what I write is relevant as this topic includes lots of internet sifus......................and inexperience and internet sifus is a deadly combination in this environment.

Sslee

4,688 posts

Posted by Sslee > 2022-12-29 16:42 | Report Abuse

Wow amazing Philip actually know Robert Kuok personally.

Sslee

4,688 posts

Posted by Sslee > 2022-12-29 17:12 | Report Abuse

Can this be the same Philip?

I borrowed money from some friends and family and to invest into value (or so I thought). In went all my hard earned money into Aokam Perdana, Ekran bhd, and most obviously "undervalued" Renong bhd. The unrealized value ended up... forever unrealized. When khazanah took UEM private and cancelled the 3.2 billion option in 2001, I thought to myself, bursa malaysia stocks are just such crooks. Especially when Teh Pek Khiing owes me 400 million until today.

Those of you who are old hands in investing would know what I mean. those who are too young to understand malaysia investing history lesson, all I can say is:

INVESTING IN BURSA IS VERY DIFFERENT FROM NYSE & NASDAQ. 
Anyway, I lost friends, made the inlaws angry and swore to give up "investing" in malaysia markets. this was around year 2000+, right after the dotcom crash. Worse time to be investing your hard earned money.

I was in the market in 1997 during the asian financial crisis.

I was in the 2001 during the dotcom crisis when our government burned their hands playing dotcom stocks

What do I do now? Run to TAIWAN to plot my comeback? Not exactly.

I put my head down, worked my ass off as an engineer in remote Sabah, took every extra overtime available, earned my paycheck, paid back every single cent to all my friends and family, and saved my money in the ASB account of my technicians and friends (at 10% p.a why not )

Then I ran into boilermech in 2005 and QL in 2006. And topglove in 2007. Working as a mechanical engineer, you get to be in the brunt of manufacturing processes, and you realize who was the good paymasters that everyone wantedf to work with and a view to increase capacity. And I started thinking about MOATS.

Posted by Philip ( buy what you understand) > 2022-12-29 22:22 | Report Abuse

It is up to you to believe what you will. But for those who do know the truth, the information I have shared is already very clear to those who are keen to find out. I have nothing to hide or to lie about, so you can think whatever you want if I exist or not. But to answer your question, I put the list of lousy companies ( as I have seen many excellent ones) is serba, xinquan, jaks, insas, hengyuan. Those silly enough to bite always suffer in the end.

Sslee

4,688 posts

Posted by Sslee > 2022-12-30 07:31 | Report Abuse

I did not say it is not the truth but somehow “Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.”

I am actually happy for Philip for his happy ending and if Philip can make it, so do many of us.

Just keep learning, questioning and improving.

I wish all a Happy and Successful New Year 2023.

CharlesT

14,572 posts

Posted by CharlesT > 2022-12-30 09:33 | Report Abuse

I thought to myself, bursa malaysia stocks are just such crooks. Especially when Teh Pek Khiing owes me 400 million until today.

Teh Pek Khiing owes Philip RM400M?

RM400M 20 years+ ago was hell a lot of money... (now also hell a lot of money lah)

OTB

11,040 posts

Posted by OTB > 2022-12-30 09:38 | Report Abuse

I always admire Philip in term of share investment.
I believe Philip is very brave to invest so much money in KLSE especially in 2022 knowing that 2022 is a bear market.
There is no right or wrong in his investment, overall is the end results.
I want to put in my personal comments on his investment in KLSE.
1.) He should have sold all Pchem when the share price is around 10.00 knowing very well that the US is keep on increasing interest rate. It is nothing wrong to take profit in a bear market.
2.) He should not buy Harta when the share price of Harta is in a very strong downtrend.
3.) He should reduce position in 2022, should not invest so much money in a bear market.
4.) I believe 2023 will be a better year for KLSE, he can reinvest back all his money.

It is my 2 cents comment only.
I wish Philip and family a Happy And Prosperous New Year 2023.

CharlesT

14,572 posts

Posted by CharlesT > 2022-12-30 09:39 | Report Abuse

I was in the market in 1997 during the asian financial crisis.

I was in the 2001 during the dotcom crisis when our government burned their hands playing dotcom stocks

What do I do now? Run to TAIWAN to plot my comeback? Not exactly.

I put my head down, worked my ass off as an engineer in remote Sabah, took every extra overtime available, earned my paycheck, paid back every single cent to all my friends and family, and saved my money in the ASB account of my technicians and friends (at 10% p.a why not )

Basing on Philip's previous stories posted here (which involves millions or tens of millions or hundreds of millions RM), just wonder what kind of engineer job or whatever OT jobs could earn that much of money to recover or repay all his debts....certainly better than those working OT in Chow Kit Road at night

CharlesT

14,572 posts

Posted by CharlesT > 2022-12-30 09:44 | Report Abuse

Sifu OTB, 2022 is still a very good year to some, especially who bought new IPO tech stocks (like SFP etc).

Just that it seems yr formula didnt work....yr Fengsui in stock picking also didnt work

CharlesT

14,572 posts

Posted by CharlesT > 2022-12-30 09:46 | Report Abuse

Let's c OTB's stock pick for 2023.

Last 2 years were kind of poor.

Hope 2023 Sifu will come back

OTB

11,040 posts

Posted by OTB > 2022-12-30 09:54 | Report Abuse

CharlesT,
I did not lose money in 2021, I still make a small profit because I win big on AYS.
I lost money in 2022.
There is no sure win in the stock market, as long as you lose small in a bear market, you should be alright.
Hopefully 2023 will be a good year for me.
Thank you.

CharlesT

14,572 posts

Posted by CharlesT > 2022-12-30 09:55 | Report Abuse

Not easy for u to lose money lah

I m talking abt yr RM1000 subscribers in general (or maybe even yr VIP clients)

CharlesT

14,572 posts

Posted by CharlesT > 2022-12-30 09:57 | Report Abuse

I m surprised if u claimed u lose money in 2022 also...

Yr gain in BSL should be able to cover yr loss in HY i guess...I dont think u lose that much in HY too

OTB

11,040 posts

Posted by OTB > 2022-12-30 10:04 | Report Abuse

I made > a million profit on Hengyuan in 2017.
I used all the profit to load on Hengyuan in 2022, I lost back 50% of the profit.
Other stocks, I still lost a small amount in overall.

CharlesT

14,572 posts

Posted by CharlesT > 2022-12-30 10:09 | Report Abuse

Thats very humble of u.

Hope 2023 will be a much better year than 2022 to all here.

calvintaneng

53,225 posts

Posted by calvintaneng > 2022-12-30 10:35 | Report Abuse

Sifu OTB is honest

We make and we lose

most important thing is the overall and the bottom line

At the end our gains are more than our losses is of utmost importance

Since coming to i3 forum in Sept 2013:I learned to much from all Sifus, Teachers, Investors, Traders and gamblers

Very few survived

2023 will be a tough year as FED still fighting high inflation with rising interest rates

As such please keep safe

best keep a buffer of cash for emergency up to 12 months

Invest only in what you know best

Sslee

4,688 posts

Posted by Sslee > 2022-12-30 10:50 | Report Abuse

Winning or losing is part of learning lessons but the important thing is you can lose money but don't lose your sanity like Pearlwhite in Serbadk.

Please stop teaching others on buy what you understand or invest only in what you know best. Did Mr. Market make a mistake on Tesla YTD losing of 70% market value?

My only advise, please read the financial report before you buy any stock and read the commodities price movement if your stock involved commodities.

OTB

11,040 posts

Posted by OTB > 2022-12-30 12:10 |

Post removed.Why?

BLee

736 posts

Posted by BLee > 2022-12-30 12:52 | Report Abuse

How can a refinery lost RM10 million a day in Q3 2022 result?

A very good question, the question shall applied for Q2 result also, how can an old refinery EARN RM10 million a day in Q2 2022 result? What EARN on paper just contra back? Just FOOD for thought, Happy Trading and TradeAtYourOwnRisk

Sslee

4,688 posts

Posted by Sslee > 2022-12-30 13:16 | Report Abuse

What are the difference HRC earned RM10 million a day in Q2 and lose RM10 million a day in Q3 are Refined Products selling price against the crude purchased price:

Quarter 2 revenue of USD 151 per barrel
Quarter 3 revenue of USD 124 per barrel
And crude purchase in Q3 USD 136.453/barrel even higher than Q2 of USD 126.71/barrel when average Dated Brent dropped to USD 101/barrel in Q3 from the USD 114/barrel in Q2?

The question is why the Q3 crude purchased is USD 136.45/barrel when Dated Brent is USD 101/barrel?

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2022-12-30 16:39 | Report Abuse

Philip, Thanks for sharing your lifetime journey in work and investing. You were down and remarkably you were able to bounce back. That is sheer herculean task and definitely very impressive. Fail you may, but do not lose hope. Pick up again and achieve again. Love the picture of the younger looking Robert Kuok. He is truly a remarkable person and businessman.

Sslee

4,688 posts

Posted by Sslee > 2022-12-30 17:16 | Report Abuse

When I hire staff I look for honest, hardworking, intelligent people. When I look candidates in the eye, they must appear very honest to me. I do not look for MBAs or exceptional students. You may hire a brilliant man, summa cum laude, first-class honours, but if his mind is not a fair one or if he has a warped attitude in life, does brilliance really matter? - Robert Kuok

DickyMe

14,346 posts

Posted by DickyMe > 2022-12-30 19:16 | Report Abuse

Brilliance does matter, otherwise Malaysia government and it's state is an exemplary outcome.

DickyMe

14,346 posts

Posted by DickyMe > 2022-12-30 19:17 | Report Abuse

The attributes you are searching for will not be evident in a candidate who is pretending. Mediocre candidates are seat warm-ers and refuse to come out of the comfort zone.

DickyMe

14,346 posts

Posted by DickyMe > 2022-12-30 19:17 | Report Abuse

Hence, company is destined to be stagnant and without any creative solutions.
Prejudgment is a fallacy of the modern and educated society.

dompeilee

11,888 posts

Posted by dompeilee > 2022-12-30 20:24 | Report Abuse

When CHINA is involved better think 3x (even better 100x) b4 touching! It's true the China-based Sino Hua-An become my most profitable stock ever in 2017/2018 BUT eventually it also turned into a rubbish co....fortunately, after I exited completely...

dompeilee

11,888 posts

Posted by dompeilee > 2022-12-30 20:26 | Report Abuse

Good stocks can also show paper losses for YEARS! That's the humbling lesson from my involvement with Oriental Hlgs in '14...which I finally cashed out profitably this year. So now I don't mind paper losses...after this & my experience with Comcorp & MGM China in Hong Kong.

Sslee

4,688 posts

Posted by Sslee > 2022-12-30 20:42 | Report Abuse

qqq3 said Attitude is everything in choosing a winning stock. As of what he actually mean, you need to ask him.

You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.
- Brian Tracy

Sslee

4,688 posts

Posted by Sslee > 2022-12-30 20:54 | Report Abuse

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
-Lou Holtz

qqq47660

8,707 posts

Posted by qqq47660 > 2022-12-30 21:27 | Report Abuse

I said Attitude is everything in choosing a stock ...................... whether winning stock or losing stock don't know yet...........................................................................................

DickyMe

14,346 posts

Posted by DickyMe > 2022-12-30 21:36 | Report Abuse

Nonsense!

qqq47660

8,707 posts

Posted by qqq47660 > 2022-12-30 21:46 | Report Abuse

I said Attitude is everything in choosing a stock ...................... whether winning stock or losing stock don't know yet...........................................................................................

Xi Jinping says it best. ....when u are winning u are only the custodial and the country and environment makes it possible. Whether it is Robert Kuok, li Kashing or Elon Musk, still applies. Elon Musk has the best year in 2021 and the worse year in 2022, but its still the same Elon Musk. Elon Musk did not suddenly become a st.upid Elon Musk in 2022.

winning and losing are just two sides of the same thing, same attitude.

Posted by Philip ( buy what you understand) > 2022-12-31 00:42 | Report Abuse

I find you have a limited ability to understand sarcasm. Please read the article in its entirety and ask yourself what was the market cap of the company at the time.
>>>>>>>
CharlesT

I thought to myself, bursa malaysia stocks are just such crooks. Especially when Teh Pek Khiing owes me 400 million until today.

Teh Pek Khiing owes Philip RM400M?

Posted by Philip ( buy what you understand) > 2022-12-31 00:48 | Report Abuse

I think your exact recommendation at the time was to sell pchem and buy into hengyuan.
I prefer my old friendly wife to the beautiful and sexy mistress.
The difference between us is how we look at risk.
Yes interest rate is going up. But also oil prices are rock steady and demand for pchem products. In terms of stability, knowing what to hold that you are sure can give you good returns and grow over time can be a very reassuring thing. My investment in pchem is like the house you bought and live in. I need the stability as much as you need a roof over your head.

Why sell your house just because interest rate go up?
>>>>>>>
OTB

I always admire Philip in term of share investment.
I believe Philip is very brave to invest so much money in KLSE especially in 2022 knowing that 2022 is a bear market.
There is no right or wrong in his investment, overall is the end results.
I want to put in my personal comments on his investment in KLSE.
1.) He should have sold all Pchem when the share price is around 10.00 knowing very well that the US is keep on increasing interest rate. It is nothing wrong to take profit in a bear market.

Posted by Philip ( buy what you understand) > 2022-12-31 00:52 | Report Abuse

I guess people who only have half a formula should snap stop posting a formula in how to "guarantee" hengyuan will make huge money in the quarter?

If we are making predictions, I can also say that the next 4 quarters pchem will make 1 billion in net profit at LEAST, guaranteed. Seems much more likely to happen than hy making hundreds of millions

>>>>>>

Sslee

Winning or losing is part of learning lessons but the important thing is you can lose money but don't lose your sanity like Pearlwhite in Serbadk.

Please stop teaching others on buy what you understand or invest only in what you know best. Did Mr. Market make a mistake on Tesla YTD losing of 70% market value?

My only advise, please read the financial report before you buy any stock and read the commodities price movement if your stock involved commodities.

Sslee

4,688 posts

Posted by Sslee > 2022-12-31 08:27 | Report Abuse

Good morning Philip,
So now I have share my half formula can someone kindly help me to complete the other half formula.

Why do you invest?
My reason is very simple to prove that I can be right and Mr. Market can be wrong thus make some money.

Philip is very excited that he can now collect many growth stocks at cheaper price because he think Mr.Market is wrong to misprice these growth stocks cheaply.

I had another misadventure on HRC and my profound apology if my comments in HRC had led some to lose their money in HRC. But let's ensure I will be there at the next AGM to hold BOD and Management accountable.

Sslee

4,688 posts

Posted by Sslee > 2022-12-31 08:29 | Report Abuse

Dear Mr Lee,

We thank you for your interest in HRC. The competitive nature of our business and compliance to Bursa requirements inhibits detailed disclosure of internal practices. On that note, to ensure that we continue to comply with the regulations of a public listed company, we have consulted this matter with our Legal and Company Secretary for advice. It was recommended to us that we publish the shareholder’s query at our upcoming AGM in 2023. This is to ensure HRC’s compliance with Paragraph 9.21(2)(b) of the Main Market Listing Requirements (“MMLR”) as well as the Guidance Note and FAQs on the Conduct of General Meetings for Listed Issuers, which requires questions posed by shareholders to be made visible to all meeting participants during the meeting itself and should be responded to.

Best Regards,

Haniza A Hamid

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2022-12-31 08:36 | Report Abuse

>>>
I had another misadventure on HRC and my profound apology if my comments in HRC had led some to lose their money in HRC. But let's ensure I will be there at the next AGM to hold BOD and Management accountable.
>>>

Why did you choose this company to invest into?
It is a refinery?
Do you understand the business of an oil refinery?
What are the challenges facing this industry? Regulatory measures can be extremely costly.
How is its profits affected by the price of crude oil?
What is its capex (maintainance) requirement?
What are its potential for future growth?
Historically, how has its revenues, earnings, free cash flow, and capital expenditure requirements looked to you?
Look at its capital structure, what are its debt levels, its ability to service the debt (profit before tax/interest rate ratio) and others?
Why did Shell decided to sell it? If Shell did not sell it, Shell was going to abandon this refinery, why?

Why try to jump over a 10 feet hurdle, instead of a 3 feet one? Did you understand all the risks first, and then look at the reward side, before investing into this company?

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2022-12-31 08:38 | Report Abuse

SSLee
Also, why do you spend so much time being an investor activist? It is probable easier and more productive just to save your time and walk away from such company.

i3lurker

13,606 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2022-12-31 08:56 | Report Abuse

any abandoned refinery is a good money losing business for many people who enjoy losing money to invest.

Sslee

4,688 posts

Posted by Sslee > 2022-12-31 09:06 | Report Abuse

https://m.arenaev.com/the_new_2023_byd_dolphin_starts_at_16700-news-1223.php

The new 2023 BYD Dolphin starts at $16,700
MAX MCDEE, 29 DECEMBER 2022

The BYD Dolphin is a small electric hatchback aimed at tech-savvy young people. It was recently released in three models, priced from $16,700 to $19,600. The Dolphin is powered by BYD LFP Blade batteries and built on BYD's e-platform version 3.0.

The BYD Dolphin was the first vehicle to showcase the "Marine Aesthetics" design language, which features fluid lines with sharp edges. This design language was inspired by the natural world and was created by Wolfgang Egger, the main designer at BYD

Sslee

4,688 posts

Posted by Sslee > 2022-12-31 09:10 | Report Abuse

3iii,
The profitable of refinery depend on the crack spread and the crack spread was at record high:

Q1 2022
Prices of Dubai crude USD 95.6/barrel
Gasoline cracks USD 17.8. Price USD (95.6 + 17.8) = USD 113.4 /barrel
Diesel cracks USD 21.6. Price USD (95.6 + 21.6) = USD 117.2/barrel
Kero-jet cracks USD 16.2. Price USD (95.6 + 16.2) = USD 111.8/barrel

Q2 2022
Prices of Dubai crude USD (101.8X2- 95.6) = 108/barrel
Gasoline cracks USD (26.4X2-17.8) = 35. Price USD (108 + 35) = USD 143/barrel
Diesel cracks USD (36.6X2-21.6) = 51.6. Price USD (108 + 51.6) = USD 159.6/barrel
Kero-jet cracks USD (27.7X2-16.2) = 39.2. Price USD (108 + 39.2) =USD 147.2/barrel

Q3 2022
Prices of Dubai crude USD (101.2X3- 95.6-108) = USD 100.3/barrel
Gasoline cracks $ (22X3-17.8-35) = 13.2. Price USD (100.3 + 13.2) = USD 113.5/barrel
Diesel cracks $ (38.1X3-21.6-51.6) = 41.1. Price USD (100.3 + 41.1) = USD 141.4/barrel
Kero-jet cracks $(29.3X3-16.2-39.2) = 32.5. Price USD (100.3 + 32.5) = USD 132.8/barrel

Post a Comment
Market Buzz