Posted by kcchongnz > 2012-12-31 17:42 | Report Abuse

KLCI returned 10.3% in 2012. My investment returned 17.2%. What is yours?

Be the first to like this.

102 comment(s). Last comment by aunloke 2013-01-04 14:32

investor77

742 posts

Posted by investor77 > 2013-01-01 21:39 | Report Abuse

Albert Lim, if you dont mind, can you please share with us, what strategy did you take that you got a fantastic return. What was your initial capital ?

Even Kenanga Growth Fund, a top performer, only gained ard 4%, as I bought some Unit Trust from them.

As an investor playing shares from 1980's and seeing ups and downs, it is definitely not easy to be consistent in making profits. Often times we hope to get Ang Pow, but the market takes the Ang Pows from you!! The mistake that I made is not cutting on losses, and selling too early good shares.
i. blue chips - Maybank
ii small caps - Pantech/ supermax ( glove sector good )
iii speculative - Luster, Priva
iv undervalued - Coastal, WTK ( thousand acres concession)
v Dividend Paying --Wellcall, MSNiaga. ( I feel better DY around FD rate of 3%, but with growth compared to high DY, but little growth, e.g JTI.Better is PresBhd- O & G sector )

Ooi Teik Bee

11,050 posts

Posted by Ooi Teik Bee > 2013-01-01 22:01 |

Post removed.Why?

aunloke

974 posts

Posted by aunloke > 2013-01-01 22:29 | Report Abuse

My gain is 41% for year 2012 , most of the stocks were bought in 2011 with PE around 5 or lower, good payout ratio and high interest coverage. The gain in 2011 was not significant but the result in 2012 is satisfactory , however going forward, it may be challenging for year 2013 as most of them may have reached its FV and the market is unpredictable. I'll be satisfied if I can make 10% for this year.

albertlim

281 posts

Posted by albertlim > 2013-01-01 22:30 | Report Abuse

Investor77,

capital : 6 figures....
strategy : longer time frame with good FA stocks where I bought in dips. Recent trade : Axiata gave me RM1.00 profit.
speculative stocks : play with insider. No insider I wont touch.
Dividend stocks : I like now THPlant... buy & hold .. falls down i keep averaging it ...

investor77

742 posts

Posted by investor77 > 2013-01-01 23:10 | Report Abuse

Thank You for your sharing, Albert Lim.

Your strategy is very good, especially to buy on dips,e.g. Telco drop, Bright, went down alot, then buy.

For speculative stocks, do you mean you only buy when directors buying ? RCE Capital, Azman buying lots, but never go up, but down !!

For high DY stocks, when it falls, it is better to average down.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2013-01-02 06:04 | Report Abuse

Wah, a lot of good investors here man. Also a lot of good investment strategies too. Fat Tah loh in 2013!

Posted by isseymiyake > 2013-01-02 06:42 | Report Abuse

realize and unrealized gain of 20% this year.
mainly from Digi, Sunreit, Axiata and NCB.
However had some unrealise loses from PChem and MFlour, will keep them for long term.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2013-01-02 07:05 | Report Abuse

isseymiayake, well done. Looks like dividend play?

reyes430

204 posts

Posted by reyes430 > 2013-01-02 08:31 | Report Abuse

Thanks KC for your advice. I believe in what Mr.Ooi said, use FA and TA to trade, even if i cant make money, i cant be losing much too! Thanks guys

Posted by isseymiyake > 2013-01-02 09:19 | Report Abuse

Kcchongnz: yup... My portfolio 80% is dividend generous counters

Alvin Lee

16 posts

Posted by Alvin Lee > 2013-01-02 11:42 | Report Abuse

isseymiyake, it looks like your portfolio is based on divident model. i am doing something similar as well using my EPF money.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2013-01-02 15:05 | Report Abuse

With the return you did last year, how well is it compared with the unit trusts? Please refer to the appended link:
http://invest-made-easy.blogspot.co.nz/
If you earned 24% or more from your investment, you beat all the unit trust funds. If you made 19%, you are in the top 5 funds. And if you made 15%, you are one of the top 10 funds. Many of you have done better. But don't be too overjoyed. A year's good performance does not indicate your prowess. It is the long-term consistent performance which matters. May be we should spend some effort to try to invest in one of the top 10 funds for next year. But how? How do we know if today's top 10 will still remain in this category next year? Research have shown that today's best performers were often in the lower quartile of performers the following year. Not easy man!

tptan45

388 posts

Posted by tptan45 > 2013-01-02 15:50 | Report Abuse

One of the reason I decided to do the investing myself was the erratic performance of the unit trusts. One year it would perform well and the next it would be in the bottom half while extracting a certain percentage of the fund value for themselves.
I am sure it is not easy to continue that kind of performance, but rather than let the managers play with my money, I would rather invest myself.
After all I don't believe in diversification anyway.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2013-01-02 16:07 | Report Abuse

tptan45, good points. Have control over your own money. No need to pay so much management expense and other costs involved in unit trusts which eat into your net return. Concern with absolute return rather than relative return which unit trusts managers always try to match the bench marks. And put just a few eggs into one basket and watch them closely. But for those who don't have time and the necessary knowledge and experience to invest themselves, how?

Hustle

3,615 posts

Posted by Hustle > 2013-01-02 16:12 | Report Abuse

Is not very hard to lose money lah,we are able to do it ourself.Don't need to pay wages for fund manager to lose our money :)

Posted by Fat Cat Tim Buddy > 2013-01-02 16:15 | Report Abuse

and then it is the perfect explanation of the existence of cpteh.

cpteh advertisement slogan should make like this :
''where anyone can be their own fund manager''

with this powerful slogan, i bet will get many ' customer ' $$$$ so much for the passion of education hahaha..

Posted by Fat Cat Tim Buddy > 2013-01-02 16:16 | Report Abuse

i bet he*

tptan45

388 posts

Posted by tptan45 > 2013-01-02 17:08 | Report Abuse

kcchongnz,I consider myself a newbie, having only seriously investing for a little over a year. I have no financial knowledge and no time to watch over the eggs.
In fact, I am probably the simplest of all investors. First grade school compared to all the other sifus here.
If I can do it, then I think anyone can do it.

aunloke

974 posts

Posted by aunloke > 2013-01-02 22:06 | Report Abuse

Good start for the year today ! Hope with the help Multico, Kfima and Tambun Indah my target of 10% for the year can be reached sooner than later.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2013-01-03 06:13 | Report Abuse

tptan45, you did extremely well last year. But as I said, one year's good performance doesn't mean you are infallible. You acknowledged that. You are willing to learn too and search for information yourself, and not just based on what others say, I know that. You are humble too. All these traits, plus others, will definitely make you a good investor. Jia yew! Just don't be too overconfident, a deadly cognitive bias. This warning applies to Hustle too.

jester

852 posts

Posted by jester > 2013-01-03 07:25 | Report Abuse

A lot of good sharing here. I just now know how to calculate my ROI. Newbie.

jester

852 posts

Posted by jester > 2013-01-03 09:22 | Report Abuse

Mine is quite a swing. I'm a newbie with low capital starter investor.
Experimenting a lot with the limited capital and learnt a lot in 2012.

Investment Experience: 1year+

My ROI is about -3%

New year target: Not losing capital.

esegaban

1,311 posts

Posted by esegaban > 2013-01-03 09:42 | Report Abuse

thank u guys for the advise....appreaciate that very much...i learn my lesson...perhap can turn the stone to gold this years....;)

esegaban

1,311 posts

Posted by esegaban > 2013-01-03 09:46 | Report Abuse

can anyone share the stocks that:
1) Blue chips ?
2) Small caps ?
3) Speculative ?
4) Undervalued but with promising future ?
5) Dividend paying ?

thx guys...

Posted by khorlh9909 > 2013-01-03 10:05 | Report Abuse

Hi
It had been a good year for me .
Made 15% return .
could have been better if i had not seek excitement in stocks like KNM and MRCB .
Without excitement stocks my performance would have been 30% better .
Should have known better right ?

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2013-01-03 10:13 | Report Abuse

khorlh9909,your return of 15% would have placed you in the top 10 unit trust fund in Malaysia. Well done. Your admission of your mistakes of your itchy fingers should serve as a lesson to other punters.

tptan45

388 posts

Posted by tptan45 > 2013-01-03 10:43 | Report Abuse

khorlh9909, I believe what Soros said was true. Investment is boring. If it is exciting, then something is wrong. Your account should be steadily increasing in value in a very boring way.

tonylim

4,796 posts

Posted by tonylim > 2013-01-03 11:07 | Report Abuse

aunloke, congrats on your multico.
More to come, but I am out for the time being.

aunloke

974 posts

Posted by aunloke > 2013-01-03 11:29 | Report Abuse

Thanks Tony, hope you have good start for the year as well.

jester

852 posts

Posted by jester > 2013-01-03 11:48 | Report Abuse

Tonylim & Aunloke,

Hope u guys have good start for this year.
Hopefully this year I will learn more and be as good as both of u!

Regards,
-J-

tonylim

4,796 posts

Posted by tonylim > 2013-01-03 11:50 | Report Abuse

J, I am humbled.
Aunloke before I forget, I read somewhere that if company recover all the monies, it would amount to 99 sen per share.

Do you remember what was the amount they are suing the crooks?

Rose

436 posts

Posted by Rose > 2013-01-03 11:55 | Report Abuse

You guys are impressive, hats off ! Aunloke 41% woh! you are lst class man! I have a lot to learn from you ,sifu.

iqie

757 posts

Posted by iqie > 2013-01-03 12:02 | Report Abuse

I'm Newbie. Loss 15% of capital last year.

@_@"

Need good Sifu This Year. ^_^

joseph2321

175 posts

Posted by joseph2321 > 2013-01-03 12:08 | Report Abuse

I made less than 7 % return on last year juz becoz MRCB and Scomi . Otherwise my profit will be above 25 % .

aunloke

974 posts

Posted by aunloke > 2013-01-03 12:22 | Report Abuse

So am I, as humble as Tony, mind you that I still have lots of dead fish in my CDS acc. overall my gain is still negative; what I'm trying to do now is to avoid adding dead fish in my CDS acc.

Posted by Fat Cat Tim Buddy > 2013-01-03 12:27 | Report Abuse

mind telling us your dead fish and your top dog stocks?

aunloke

974 posts

Posted by aunloke > 2013-01-03 12:30 | Report Abuse

Tony the amt. to be claimed back is about 44M , to-date only 22M is promised by the 2nd defendant .

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2013-01-03 12:42 | Report Abuse

The following is the results of 2012 %ROI so far from this thread:
Count 23
Mean 9.2
Median 10
Maximum 45
Minimum -30
Std 19.3
Know where you are? The median and mean ROI of 10% and 9.2% respectively is closed to the return of KLCI from the same period. Maximum is 45% and the worst is 30% loss. The standard deviation, sigma is a bit too high though, probably due to the low sample size.

aunloke

974 posts

Posted by aunloke > 2013-01-03 12:45 | Report Abuse

Fat Cat, shy to list my dead fish but can tell you the prominent one is Megan; all of them were collected through rumour, so no more listening to rumour for me. My profitable stocks are Huayang, Faber, Multico, yinson (sold) EPMB (sold at its peak) Kfima, Tambun

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2013-01-03 12:49 | Report Abuse

aunloke's profitable stocks appear to be all fundamentally good stocks. No wonder you gained 41% last year. Whereas he got one dead cat, oop dead fish, Megan. Any good lesson to learn from here?

tptan45

388 posts

Posted by tptan45 > 2013-01-03 14:21 | Report Abuse

Huayang, Aeon Credit, Padini

Posted by Fat Cat Tim Buddy > 2013-01-03 14:43 | Report Abuse

:D thx for sharing

jester

852 posts

Posted by jester > 2013-01-03 15:11 | Report Abuse

Thanks a lot for sharing people.
Appreciate it a lot.

chleong

596 posts

Posted by chleong > 2013-01-03 21:38 | Report Abuse

.... total losses -24% year 2012 with my 6 figure cap. best year for me as a 9 months, learning & watching intensively every trading day full time, hate holiday. should have gain around 8%, but 1 CW mistake wipe it out 14%. cash used up, so play contra loss another 10% for the last 2 months. best perfoming counter for me NEXTNAT. what i learned: play contra is all about time eating you up. experience cannot be taught, you need to fully participate, pain & losses is the best teacher, emotion will play havoc to you focus & will. thanks to all here bro, sis, sifu for sharing in this i3forum. really learned from all the SHARINGs, appreciative

Posted by tayguansong > 2013-01-03 21:45 | Report Abuse

hi chleong....couldn't agree with you less....I am just a newbie in share market,...got burn about 8K in the first few months...then thru' losses , learnt a few tricks here & there...THANKS TO ALL VETERANS HERE,HOPE 2013 WILL BE BETTER FOR ALL INVESTORS. Thanks CHLeong..learn a few lesson from your posting.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2013-01-04 03:22 | Report Abuse

chleong, you provide some of the most valuable lessons here. Your Achilles's heels are:
1)"watching intensively every trading day full time, hate holiday". You spend too much time, should concentrate in your career. Invest for long term. forget about the daily noises.
2) "play contra loss another 10% for the last 2 months". The odd is always against a contra player because market manipulation by insiders and big boys, transaction costs etc
3) "emotion will play havoc to you focus & will". Subject to emotion is deadly for long-term investing for building wealth.
4) "1 CW mistake wipe it out 14%. cash used up". Call warrants are not for everybody. I don't know if you know about Long term Capital Management in 90s who had the most knowledgeable people, Nobel price winners in option pricing, in it but lost their pants, billions and had to be bailed out by Uncle Sam. My experience in punting call warrants in bursa is it is very hazardous game in an uneven playing field. Manipulations by insiders, controlled by investment banks, issued at very expensive prices etc. But I still believe sometimes CW can give some excitement and potential exaggerated gains. But one should not be too greedy. For example if I am interested in Mudajaya CJ now, very high gearing at 36 times but expiring in two months time. If I think Mudajaya can go up to 3.00 in less than 2 months, if I buy 10000 shares of Mudajaya at 2.68 now and if it goes up to 3.00, I make 3200. But my out lay is 26800. If I want to make the same amount, I only need to put an outlay of just 1920, buying 128000 shares of CJ at 1.5 sen. If I am wrong the most i lose is 1920 only. But if i am right, i make 167% compared to 12% if i buy mudajaya. but if mudajaya price goes up to 3.50 before expiry of CJ, I make more than 833%! However, I won't think of using the 26800 which i suppose to by mudajaya to buy 1.8 m shares of CJ and hope to make 300000 profit if mudajaya goes up to 3.00. That would be very risky as if i am wrong, i lose everything.

aunloke

974 posts

Posted by aunloke > 2013-01-04 13:33 | Report Abuse

May I add some info to CW lovers, Actually in option market every buy call and buy put must be matched by sell call and sell put and the sellers get only a small premium . It is a fact that in option market 75% of the option will be out of money.Trust funds ppl buy option more or less as an insurance and they don't mind paying the premium. We have no option market here and IB know about the advantage so they come out with the call and put warrants. So playing CW or HW ,we should know the odd against us and worst still the IB are capable of manipulating the underlying shares price to add to their advantage. To me going to Genting playing odd or even has a better chance of winning as the ratio is 35 to 36 . Having said that I did play once i.e BIMB call warrant for the excitement of it.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2013-01-04 14:01 | Report Abuse

aunloke, you are a smart fellow. That is why you got such a high return in your stock investment in 2012. Investors who wish to make extraordinary gain should emulate your strategy below:
"My gain is 41% for year 2012 , most of the stocks were bought in 2011 with PE around 5 or lower, good payout ratio and high interest coverage." aunloke.
But sometimes punting in call warrants can be rewarding. I mean punt against other punters who are controlled by their emotion. They dump at huge discount when they get panic. Not against the issuers though.

chleong

596 posts

Posted by chleong > 2013-01-04 14:22 | Report Abuse

thanks kcchongnz & aunloke for the invalueble input and advice.
1) My 9 mths span the only CW i bought, thats was MAS, my carelessness serve me, premium at 50%, yeah it is the gearing that counts, to high
2) Of Manipulation: IB or company issuer Warrant will manipulate big time, deceptively luring everyone into the set up trap. virtually almost all counters are manipulated. this i well aware of
3) Choice: i believe my intensiveness & effort will pay off as i have make trading my career. have to revise my profit taking strategy. i did experience profitting every alternate day for 2 mths. recently lost my swing, temporary set back.
4) Duration: some i held more than 6 mths, some for days. will planned for term.

In the end they is no one i am dealing with accept myself making decision in buying and selling. Alway subtle emotion will come into play that will manipulate your mind. i will break it down not matter what. Thanks to all the well wishes concern here, i will be back to share. 2013 shall be an interesting year. GO GO GO

aunloke

974 posts

Posted by aunloke > 2013-01-04 14:32 | Report Abuse

Yes KC I know the reward and the excitement of punting on CW when I was holding BIMB call warrant after so convinced by another Chong, unfortunately I ran like hell was coming after 30% gain though it was almost a double bagger.

Post a Comment
Market Buzz