22 people like this.

71 comment(s). Last comment by Farhan Azrayl Zailani 2015-02-12 18:34

Investeye

2,347 posts

Posted by Investeye > 2014-05-26 15:41 | Report Abuse

MAS needs more help from M, it is also oppurtunity for M to show his capability; if he is capable!

King Kong73

2,053 posts

Posted by King Kong73 > 2014-05-26 16:38 | Report Abuse

Sir, your comment is an analysis from a 50 ringgit prostitute and analogy for Proton to crash like MH370 is shocking. You sir are a poor excuse foe a human being.

soojinhou

869 posts

Posted by soojinhou > 2014-05-26 16:48 | Report Abuse

Why should the tax payers be burdened anymore since it is in private hands? Let Syed Mokhtar take care of it. Proton is one of the worst things that has happened to Malaysia. It is one of the reason why Malaysian household debt is one of the highest in the world.

focuz

1,447 posts

Posted by focuz > 2014-05-26 16:56 | Report Abuse

Very long catchy title head somewhat controversial. Curiously but as suspected vibe remarks to be posted here. How true!

1st. post issued a challenge M.
2nd. post twisted interpretation & spitting out venom.
3rd. post tried to be a smart alec. I wonder what's the lowest profession in the world!

Everybody else should just leave this forum after reading this.

focuz

1,447 posts

Posted by focuz > 2014-05-26 16:58 | Report Abuse

Correction: 4th post ...

Posted by MartinJHLim > 2014-05-26 17:13 | Report Abuse

Not crashed vanished.

nsk82

196 posts

Posted by nsk82 > 2014-05-26 17:15 | Report Abuse

Uncle Koon, you have succinctly portrayed the irrational behaviour of the government in handling Proton. After 30 years of protectionism, this GLC has failed to compete with other car manufacturers on a level playing field.

Fortunately or unfortunately, this is clear case of not knowing "enough is enough" and take corrective action. Admit failure and move on.

Proton apart, one wonders how is the accomplishment of Multimedia Super Corridor and other mega white elephant projects.

jolie2

2,039 posts

Posted by jolie2 > 2014-05-26 18:46 | Report Abuse

senior citizen shall not play joke with MH370. Be more mature in writing.

novo

25 posts

Posted by novo > 2014-05-26 19:27 | Report Abuse

MORAL OF THE STORY.
KOON YEW HIN SHOULD CRASH HIS HEAD ON THE WALL AND NOT MH370 OR PROTON

tc2012

362 posts

Posted by tc2012 > 2014-05-26 19:37 | Report Abuse

It look like many are happy to pay high price for cars.
Malaysia boleh.....celaka

johnny cash

6,400 posts

Posted by johnny cash > 2014-05-26 19:51 | Report Abuse

M is anti western

Posted by ramkarpalsingh > 2014-05-26 19:56 | Report Abuse

'Why not like Proton crash like MH370'. I was shocked reading Mr. Koon latest article. MH370 is unprecendented tragedy, for Mr. Koon to use such word is beyond inhumane. I hope same thing happen to Mr. Koon as well.

cy1988

23 posts

Posted by cy1988 > 2014-05-26 20:19 | Report Abuse

Proton have to improve their car quaility instead of protect his own brand by raise up foreign car's price.This is the one of the most stupid action ever take in malaysia that raise up the import duty for other foreign car.With the price to buy a proton,without import duty can buy a very good foreign car etc honda

sunztzhe

2,248 posts

Posted by sunztzhe > 2014-05-26 20:47 | Report Abuse

There had been no physical evidence to date that MH370 had crashed but there had been numerous speculations on MH370 which almost everyone in i3 forum is quite well informed vide the internet news.

The price of a car in Malaysia is very much higher compared to the developed countries such as USA, Germany and Japan but the wages earned by the average Malaysian is the lowest. Moreover the quality and safety standards of Proton cars since the eighties is much below the quality and safety standards required in USA, Germany and Japan. Hence Malaysian car consumers are getting a very raw deal indeed as they earned the lowest wage relative to the three countries but pay a much higher car price but with lower built quality. Is the average Malaysian car consumer aware of the material fact that they earned the lowest wage relative to the three countries but pay much higher price for a car that is built with lower quality and lower safety standards? There could possibly be a strong correlation between sub quality built cars and one of the highest road mortality in the world.

Since the eighties, it is very obvious that Proton had proven to itself that it cannot compete in Malaysian market without governmental protection and had failed miserably in open competition in the overseas market as it lacked the creative skillsets, technical competency and economy of scale to build quality cars at competitive prices that can sustain its future.

Without government protection, Proton will not survive in Malaysian market let alone compete in the overseas market. The average Malaysian consumer will be much better off without Proton even though they have to pay higher price for fuel.

optimus8

405 posts

Posted by optimus8 > 2014-05-26 20:56 | Report Abuse

why malaysian all so small minded one? cannot accept great ideas by great man. haiz. property prices go up is global issue la, but selling a proton car with 1980 technology and orang utan workmanship and charge u the price of a equivalent German car.

sunztzhe

2,248 posts

Posted by sunztzhe > 2014-05-26 21:05 | Report Abuse

Property prices going up is a global phenomena due to the massive liquidity worldwide.

Malaysian consumers do not have a choice to buy quality cars with good safety standards at competitive prices as in the developed countries.

The average Malaysian has no choice but to buy Proton and what they get is a old technology car with poor workmanship, poor quality and low safety standards.

Posted by ramkarpalsingh > 2014-05-26 21:06 | Report Abuse

Property prices dramatically go up but the quality gone down so much. 20 years ago developers provide fixtures that can last decades, but today if last for 2 years you should consider very lucky like Mr Koon 'lucky'. You cant breath even if you manage to get house loan, you still going to spend a fortune to completely make major repair on house you just bought.

prc4wifefe

3,564 posts

Posted by prc4wifefe > 2014-05-26 21:08 | Report Abuse

Spot on Mr. Koon...poor leadership, cronyism, etc.
Proton in control of Syed Mokhta , gomen should use this so called billionaire money to rescue Proton and not pass the buck to rakyat as always...
Cilaka punya gomen...take guna

tc2012

362 posts

Posted by tc2012 > 2014-05-26 21:10 | Report Abuse

Only Umno cronies do not laugh at proton + ramkarpal.2nd hand car also very expensive lah.

optimus8

405 posts

Posted by optimus8 > 2014-05-26 21:11 |

Post removed.Why?

sunztzhe

2,248 posts

Posted by sunztzhe > 2014-05-26 21:18 | Report Abuse

Jim Rogers wrote a book called "HOT COMMODITIES" and had stated in page 52 of his book that "Malaysia whose economy is also based on natural resources was ruled by an economic incompetent from 1981 to 2003; new leadership might bring some new opportunities"

obk4695

26 posts

Posted by obk4695 > 2014-05-26 21:40 | Report Abuse

Why Malaysian buy Proton car?Because the price is cheaper than others.We,Malaysian are force to drive this useless car because we can't effort the expensive one.Proton had been bankrupt long time ago if the gov did not bail out proton.Dr M's appointment makes no difference.

Lim Elson

2,550 posts

Posted by Lim Elson > 2014-05-26 21:51 | Report Abuse

how proton want to grow, when the top management only see the money grow in their own pocket??????

yfchong

5,798 posts

Posted by yfchong > 2014-05-26 21:56 | Report Abuse

Dun forget abt interest rate fr financial institutution 4%,. Leh

cheahsk

50 posts

Posted by cheahsk > 2014-05-26 22:05 | Report Abuse

Just one word: Incompetence and all in the name of Ketuanan. This guy doesn't change. Same class, same mentality as Ibrahim Ali. He has never been a PM for all Malaysians. There is nothing left for him to destroy.

sunztzhe

2,248 posts

Posted by sunztzhe > 2014-05-26 22:17 | Report Abuse

There is no benefit for an average Malaysian car consumer who earn the lowest wage compared to their counterpart in USA, Germany and Japan to buy sub quality Proton with low safety standards but at prices where their foreign counterpart could easily buy a much better built, higher quality car of similar make but with much higher safety standards.

When will the average Malaysian car consumer wake up from this slumber?

When will these average Malaysian car consumers ever wake up and realize that Proton had demonstrated over the past 20 odd years that it had no real definable competency in making quality, competitive cars with high safety standards that can compete in Malaysia and the world markets? Why feel proud about Proton when Proton had not demonstrated any achievement in producing quality, competitive priced cars with high safety standards that Malaysians can indeed be proud of?

When will the average Malaysian car consumer realized that they had all along been conned for so many years?

flyer

14 posts

Posted by flyer > 2014-05-26 22:21 | Report Abuse

RKS : you can apply for PR1ma , which is probably the equivalent of PRoton .

Alexofb2b

1,304 posts

Posted by Alexofb2b > 2014-05-26 22:22 | Report Abuse

wow, I think it is better for appointing Mahatir as MAS's CEO TO SAVE IT ...... HIOHIHII

Posted by profit profits > 2014-05-26 22:25 | Report Abuse

The most SHAMEFUL history for Potong car happened sometimes in 93-96, "proton saga" was as if so good in selling and not enough stock, not because its quality but rather incapability of factory to produce enough cars for customers, which ended up many customers had to pay under-table money to potong sales men in order to get their cars in shorter time. Imagine car sales men could earn under-table money, this would not happen in any other places in the world except bolehland ! (buying second hand cars from the potong sales men and paid more expensive price than the brand new car price)

sunztzhe

2,248 posts

Posted by sunztzhe > 2014-05-26 22:27 | Report Abuse

Appointing an economic incompetent as defined by Jim Rogers in page 52 on "HOT COMMODITIES" to turn around MAS which requires economic competent CEO?

Can an economic incompetent transform into an economic competent?

focuz

1,447 posts

Posted by focuz > 2014-05-26 22:38 | Report Abuse

Corrections: My early post I used the word "vibe" - vibration.
1). What I meant to mean was "vile" - despicable.

On reading the responses above, a word to describe the reactions from readers is "vided" - divided.

Thank goodness that remarks has not gotten more vile. And I hope readers accept my accidental typo (misspelling) and learn a new word as I did.

Alexofb2b

1,304 posts

Posted by Alexofb2b > 2014-05-26 23:10 | Report Abuse

sunztzhe ,
Mahatir just shout and all the Mas Employee Union Tikus will run away, so he can cut the workforce by 50% without problems,

Next, He just shout to cut and terminate all expensive Contracts and not many have the Guts to object lor....

Next, he will open his mouth to ask PM to donate 20-40 Billions RM and hihi.... MAS will be on course to moderate recovery lah....... hihihii

fortunebullz

2,000 posts

Posted by fortunebullz > 2014-05-26 23:49 | Report Abuse

What to revive crappy Proton! Easy! Ban all japanese, korean and European car imports! Importers can only sale China cars in Malaysia! 5 years later, Proton sales cant keep up with demand! It's a case of buying a Proton scrap or buying junk yard scrap cars from China! Problem solve!

Barbarian

939 posts

Posted by Barbarian > 2014-05-26 23:53 | Report Abuse

Hehehe....Fortunebullz , maybe that will also stop car theft becoz it's worthless to steal a proton....or China car...

fortunebullz

2,000 posts

Posted by fortunebullz > 2014-05-26 23:54 | Report Abuse

Barbarian! Police dont have to chase china car theft! It will break down if trying to speed off!

Barbarian

939 posts

Posted by Barbarian > 2014-05-26 23:56 | Report Abuse

Self selling for scrap metal lor......but poor tax payer still got to pay pay pay....

fortunebullz

2,000 posts

Posted by fortunebullz > 2014-05-27 00:06 | Report Abuse

Almost all china car dealerships in Malaysia close shop! Not a single china car brand survive beyond 3 years in Malaysia!
Compare to Proton, problem with Proton is too much cronies to fed! At one time, Proton was so popular they just cant keep up with demand! And Proton salesmen used to be among richest salesmen around!
I dont think any one will miss Proton if close shop today! Volkswagen was the best deal Proton should have taken! Tun Mahathir justification that if Proton close shop, 200 thousand workers will be layoff simple doesnt make sense! We all know only cronies will be the biggest losers! You just cant fool us like 20 years ago!
Proton Saga current model is so bad that its alignment cant be fix due to low quality of its platform! Please raise your hand if you find your new Proton Saga has faulty aligment! Chances are you are among all current Proton Saga owners having the same low quality platfrom problem!
Time and time again Proton keep telling us that quality will improve! And time and time again, quality getting bad to worse! I suspect these cronies supplying parts source from China!

fortunebullz

2,000 posts

Posted by fortunebullz > 2014-05-27 00:11 | Report Abuse

Let me tell you a riping off wealthy car buyers! Mercedes Benz parts all made in China! So most rich mercedes benz owners parting half a millon for a ripe off parts with expensive badge!

Conan

155 posts

Posted by Conan > 2014-05-27 05:04 | Report Abuse

The proton salesman use to say " kalau suka tunggu tak boleh takpa"

Conan

155 posts

Posted by Conan > 2014-05-27 05:05 | Report Abuse

screw them all

Fam Jenny

7,724 posts

Posted by Fam Jenny > 2014-05-27 06:44 | Report Abuse

A lot of them seem to condemn proton cars but contrary I personally feel that it is quite good when compares to some foreign cars.My friend's proton saga is 17 years and my proton is 14 years,they are still performing very well and we can safely reach Genting highlands without any difficulty.They seldom break down unless the spare parts wear out and need to be replaced.
Surprisingly my relative's foreign car broke down after 2.5 years,engine was boiling and fortunately he spotted it on time if not it was beyond repair.My the other two relatives' foreign cars which are used for less than 10 years are giving them great mechanic problems and become unreliable,now they either use their wife's car or buy another new car.
For your information all taxi cars are using proton brands yet they survive well even they are highly over utilized with high mileage.
I will buy another proton if I change my car as they are good and reliable and not giving me much mechanic problems.
Fortunebullz,all the spare parts of handphones are made in China maybe you got to change your phone to an European brand then you can get non china spare parts.

sunztzhe

2,248 posts

Posted by sunztzhe > 2014-05-27 09:15 | Report Abuse

The old Proton Saga cars were fitted with Mitsubishi engines made in Japan. So why not buy Mitsubishi then instead of buying Proton? How much will a Mitsubishi cost you then? For that matter the old Toyotas, Mercedes without the complex electronics were even better. Without the government protection for Proton, how much would you pay for a Toyota or a Mercedes then?

Without Proton and the government protection for Proton, will u pay higher or lower price for a new car? Will u have more choices of new cars to choose from? As a consumer with limited budget do u want more choices for selection or only make do with Proton?

Is an average Malaysian car consumer earning an average income which is much lower than the average incomes in USA, Germany and Japan better off with Proton or without Proton?

zan122208

52 posts

Posted by zan122208 > 2014-05-27 09:16 | Report Abuse

Guys, spend some time watch Top Gear and you'll be amazed, proton is actually better compared with other model produced by big manufacturers. We only see the model here in Malaysia and our automotive scope is too small. Expand your scope and knows what happening out there and you'll start saying things differently.

fortunebullz

2,000 posts

Posted by fortunebullz > 2014-05-27 09:21 | Report Abuse

Sunzthze! Old Proton are based on Mitshubihi models! Its like Perodua today! Perodua is nothing more than rebadge models! I bet latest Perodua EEV model based on Daihatsu Ayla! In fact all Perodua models are based on Daihatsu defunct models! Proton used to rebadge the last one was wira! You can find tons of japanese parts for old Protons and Perodua! You can even transform you made in Malaysia Proton or Perodua into japanese made!

sunztzhe

2,248 posts

Posted by sunztzhe > 2014-05-27 09:48 | Report Abuse

Hahaha Paying good money to buy new defunct but rebadged models whereas the average car consumer overseas pays good money to buy the latest models!! This is truly Malaysia Boleh! Hahaha

pilindo

867 posts

Posted by pilindo > 2014-05-27 10:24 | Report Abuse

senior citizen shall not play joke with MH370. Be more mature in writing.

Posted by Koon Yew Yin > 2014-05-27 11:16 | Report Abuse

I am very sorry that I made reference to the mysterious disappearance of MH370 because when I was completing the writing of the article, I just wanted to fire my last shot at Dr Mahathir.

I now realise that it can hurt the feeling of some sensitive readers, especially those related to the innocent victims.

My humble apologies!

Fam Jenny

7,724 posts

Posted by Fam Jenny > 2014-05-27 11:17 | Report Abuse

Being a small country we do not enjoy scale of economies when compare with big nations having local market to absorb high fixed cost for high industries.Hence to compete well we have to develop our research and development unit to a very high sophisticated standard and need real smart innovative people to be there.
But having so many stupid cronies inside the company the real brilliant individuals who are not willing to work under them and will prefer to work in companies where their intelligence and hardwork are respected and recognised so whoever is inside will have great difficulty of solving its problems and bring it to a higher level.The eventuality of Proton will be like Mas,hopeless unless their cars are sold in the third countries which do not produce cars.tend the
So to improve they have to remove the useless ones esp in the research and design staff and put real smart professional there and axing the rest eventually.

Fam Jenny

7,724 posts

Posted by Fam Jenny > 2014-05-27 11:20 | Report Abuse

Correction:....cost for high technology industries.

Posted by Koon Yew Yin > 2014-05-27 11:31 | Report Abuse

The British Experience
Consider the case of British Leyland a vehicle-manufacturing company formed in the United Kingdom in 1968. It was partly nationalised in 1975 with the government creating a new holding company. The company incorporated much of the British owned motor vehicle industry, and held 40% of the UK car market.
Despite containing profitable marques such as Jaguar, Rover and Land Rover, as well as the best-selling Mini, British Leyland had a troubled history. In 1986 it was renamed as the Rover Group, later to become MG Rover Group, which went into administration in 2005. This ended mass car production by British-owned manufacturers.

Today, many British car marques have become owned by foreign companies. For example MG and the Austin, Morris and Wolseley marques have all become part of China’s SAIC Motor Corporation Limited.

We should have avoided this expensive mistake
Why did Dr. Mahathir not learn anything from the disastrous British car industry experience is something that completely escapes many Malaysians? Surely any good leader would have got his officers to do due diligence. If they had done so, they would have found that the industry even with year on year rises in sales is not guaranteed to generate good returns to shareholders, even in a highly developed economy with a long tradition of successful car manufacture such as Britain?

This is because one of the forces that limit profitability is the intensity of rivalry between car companies from around the world. This leads to oversupply and pressure on prices. This is exacerbated by a high degree of freedom for new competitors to enter the industry.

Unless there is an enormous internal market such as China’s or the United States and we can take advantage of the economies of scale, small producers such as Malaysia are forever doomed to a minor placing or bankruptcy in the market place.

Post a Comment
Market Buzz