5 people like this.

83 comment(s). Last comment by PlsGiveBonus 2018-06-07 22:51

Posted by Invest_Sensibly > 2018-06-04 20:43 | Report Abuse

Apa khabar hevea, plenitude & kfima?

Jon Choivo

3,668 posts

Posted by Jon Choivo > 2018-06-04 21:15 | Report Abuse

I would add this to the new investors who just started working.

"Avoid debts, except for “good” debts like a housing loan, or initial payment for a car you need for work. In fact, as soon as you can afford, put a down payment for a house. It is a form of forced saving too."

I would take things a touch more extreme. Debt is slavery.

If you need a car, 10k can get you an old 2008 saga. 15k can get myvi. If no money, get an old saga or wira, 5k can d. Pay cash, especially if you don't know how to invest.

I think houses are in general a bad investment. The only reason its good, is because you can leverage 10x, and the economy is booming, along with the low liquidity which allowed prices to inch upwards. In recent years however, people flip and speculate on houses a lot more, which means what was a safe investment, is now very very unsafe especially given your 10x leverage.

In addition the loan on your neck means you will not be able to take advantage of good working opportunities outstation or overseas.

If you're buying for investment, for you to cover your rental, you need to hit about 6% yield to be safe. That is impossible to get unless you AirBnb. And why make life hard, if you must have this kind of regular income, buy TWRREIT, prime location, high yield, low debt

The only time you should get in debt or a house, is in throes of a recession. When yields hit 10% or more. At those moments, just whack only.

Learn to forced savings without needing a loan around your neck. Read the books listed above by KCC, then decide if you want to invest on your own (in which case, go read the FS of all 9XX companies in the bursa) or, invest in a fund (i would recommend yeoman, aggregate or target asset management, if you got a lot of money, or if not alot, index, after identifying where in the cycle you are at now.)

I started working about 4 years ago. My salary started at RM2k net (its a lot better now). I used to save money like a fiend. My investments now are in the low six figures and i live a little better and much less like a pauper.

And ill tell you, that was pretty much mostly savings. My stock market earnings is not much. Other than one big gain back in 2016.

You can do it too.

Remember, debt is slavery.

Money is cheap, freedom is expensive.

Unless your money is working is for you, whenever you buy something, you are not paying with money.

You are paying the amount of time you need to earn that money. You're paying for it with the hours/days/months/years of your life and your freedom.

mike90

203 posts

Posted by mike90 > 2018-06-04 21:21 | Report Abuse

Work 4 years, starting salary 2k++, can have 6 figure share value?

Jon Choivo

3,668 posts

Posted by Jon Choivo > 2018-06-04 21:23 | Report Abuse

How to save money?

A thousand riggit, when compounded over 50 years,

At 5%, is RM11,467
At 10%, is RM117,391
At 15%, is RM1,083,657
At 20%, is RM9,100,438

The question i ask myself is, do i want to own a Honda City now, or do i want to own 5% of Honda at the ripe old age of 76.

But remember, you cannot live forever, and money cannot bring to the grave. As Karl Marx (not a fan of his philosophy) said,

“The less you eat, drink, and buy books, the less you go to the theatre, the dance hall, the public house; the less you think, love, theorise, sing, paint, fence, etc., the more you save – the greater becomes your treasure which neither moth nor rust will devour – your capital. The less you are, the less you express your own life, the more you have, i.e., the greater is your alienated life, the greater is the store of your estranged being.”

– Karl Marx

So you need to spend and enjoy also, but do so while keeping the above in mind. That's how you make sure when you spend, its really worth it. Its usually worth it to spend on friends, family and life.

Also know this, every dollar matters. This will hit your hard when you need a certain sum in the future, and you find out you are a few hundred, thousands, tens of thousands or hundred of thousand, or even a few million short.

At that moment, you better not regret how you spent your money before this. You must be able to at that moment, look back in life and go, "you know what, i would still live and spend the way i did"

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-06-04 21:43 | Report Abuse

the record of any certified financial planner ever successfully helping anyone is questionable at best

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-06-04 21:53 | Report Abuse

I tell you how anyone can improve their lives and especially your financial life....

You can do so by being a Jho Low, a gambler / speculator extraordinary.......if you have the inclinations and talent
or
Become a successful business man. ....if you have the inclinations and talents.....

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-06-04 21:55 | Report Abuse

the record of any certified financial planner ever successfully helping anyone is questionable at best...and abysmal is common.

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-06-04 22:05 | Report Abuse

KYY is living proof that it can be done....Problem is Can you?

How often can you sailang? You have the confidence to sailang and margin account to the max?

ks55

3,504 posts

Posted by ks55 > 2018-06-04 22:37 | Report Abuse

Trust me, if you are young, spend more time for self enrichment program and widen your networking.
What if you can earn 500k salary a year when you reach your prime at 35 to 40 yrs old? It is not impossible to earn that type of salary if you are in the right peer group.

Spend minimum time in stock market.
Get a reasonable return by investing in Reits.
Reits are minimum risk with medium gain.
You won't have sleepless nights and your capital will never vanish in thin air.

When you are young, help to build your healthy family environment. Spend more time with your children when they are young. At the same time never neglect your parents when they are getting older by each day.

probability

14,402 posts

Posted by probability > 2018-06-04 22:44 | Report Abuse

nice advice from ks55.

Posted by ks55 > Jun 4, 2018 10:37 PM | Report Abuse

Trust me, if you are young, spend more time for self enrichment program and widen your networking.
What if you can earn 500k salary a year when you reach your prime at 35 to 40 yrs old? It is not impossible to earn that type of salary if you are in the right peer group.

Spend minimum time in stock market.
Get a reasonable return by investing in Reits.
Reits are minimum risk with medium gain.
You won't have sleepless nights and your capital will never vanish in thin air.

When you are young, help to build your healthy family environment. Spend more time with your children when they are young. At the same time never neglect your parents when they are getting older by each day.

3iii

12,832 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2018-06-04 22:57 |

Post removed.Why?

Alex™

12,581 posts

Posted by Alex™ > 2018-06-04 23:05 | Report Abuse

wah all so noble, okok, alex respect

harpluck

21 posts

Posted by harpluck > 2018-06-04 23:09 | Report Abuse

Agree with REITS but seems like one got to avoid TWRREIT for now. And yes to spend less time on share market - it's my number one regret that I spend too much time/effort looking at the market.

PlsGiveBonus

3,749 posts

Posted by PlsGiveBonus > 2018-06-04 23:36 | Report Abuse

What if I tell you young people are creating their own system now
They don’t want to fix this existing Ponzi scheme?
I knew it is coming and they are already building on it. It is the spirit I want to see in investment, instead of fixing the toxic system, I would encourage young people to create their own system!
In the next x many years, I am going to see today blue chip company collapsing and replaced by the system created by the young people.
Remember the last time when everyone tell you Internet shopping is not going to happen, too hard to do it, play game has no future one better go back to work your ass off?? Try to tell me this today when online shopping is kicking brick and mortar in the ass, and full time gamer made more money than anyone can imagine even the webcam whore want to become gaming whore?

Jon Choivo

3,668 posts

Posted by Jon Choivo > 2018-06-05 00:04 | Report Abuse

3iii,

What your portfolio concentration like by %.

gohkimhock

2,948 posts

Posted by gohkimhock > 2018-06-05 00:07 | Report Abuse

First of all, do not ever speculate. Go for investment. And never time the market like CP Teh does. You're no God.

lwyy60

477 posts

Posted by lwyy60 > 2018-06-05 01:50 | Report Abuse

Only invest business that have futures, consumers, e_commeece, power/energy,gold. Avoid constrution now. Good luck all.

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-06-05 02:06 | Report Abuse

I know people who have improved themselves with the stock market....

But I do not know anyone who improved themselves with the stock market because of the services of certified financial planners.

3iii

12,832 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2018-06-05 06:58 |

Post removed.Why?

Flintstones

1,762 posts

Posted by Flintstones > 2018-06-05 07:07 | Report Abuse

Market not good. All the bloggers, the writers and the extrapolaters also come out and cari makan. Haha!

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2018-06-05 09:46 | Report Abuse

Posted by qqq3 > Jun 4, 2018 09:53 PM | Report Abuse
I tell you how anyone can improve their lives and especially your financial life....
You can do so by being a Jho Low, a gambler / speculator extraordinary.......if you have the inclinations and talent

This is glaring how decadence our society and the education system has been through producing this kind of people and their mentality.

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-06-05 10:43 | Report Abuse

Posted by kcchongnz > Jun 5, 2018 09:46 AM | Report Abuse

This is glaring how decadence our society and the education system has been through producing this kind of people and their mentality.
==========

u don't like the truth or the truth hurts?

vvcb

27 posts

Posted by vvcb > 2018-06-05 11:27 | Report Abuse

Good advice indeed from K C Chong to a newbie!

3iii

12,832 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2018-06-05 11:53 |

Post removed.Why?

3iii

12,832 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2018-06-05 11:56 |

Post removed.Why?

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2018-06-05 12:55 | Report Abuse

Posted by Jon Choivo > Jun 4, 2018 09:15 PM | Report Abuse
I think houses are in general a bad investment. The only reason its good, is because you can leverage 10x, and the economy is booming, along with the low liquidity which allowed prices to inch upwards. In recent years however, people flip and speculate on houses a lot more, which means what was a safe investment, is now very very unsafe especially given your 10x leverage.

In addition the loan on your neck means you will not be able to take advantage of good working opportunities outstation or overseas.

If you're buying for investment, for you to cover your rental, you need to hit about 6% yield to be safe. That is impossible to get unless you AirBnb. And why make life hard, if you must have this kind of regular income, buy TWRREIT, prime location, high yield, low debt

The only time you should get in debt or a house, is in throes of a recession. When yields hit 10% or more. At those moments, just whack only.

Agree. House is no longer a good investment nowadays.

However, we are not talking about investment in a house, but rather to own a house to live in once you have started work, and especially starting a family. There are many non-financial benefits from owning a house. Don't always think of financial aspect only in every life decision we make.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2018-06-05 14:36 | Report Abuse

Posted by qqq3 > Jun 4, 2018 09:55 PM | Report Abuse
the record of any certified financial planner ever successfully helping anyone is questionable at best...and abysmal is common.

That depends, whether you are a truly professional, and have the interest of the clients first.

But sadly the financial advisory in Malaysia is still a lot to be desired. Most are focussing on selling products rather than giving comprehensive financial advice.

There are some professional financial planners around, but I have to say, they are not the majority.

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-06-05 15:15 | Report Abuse

Posted by qqq3 > Jun 4, 2018 09:55 PM | Report Abuse

But sadly the financial advisory in Malaysia is still a lot to be desired. Most are focussing on selling products rather than giving comprehensive financial advice.
======

isn't selling insurance and unit trust products what it is all about?

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-06-05 15:17 | Report Abuse

to sell u insurance and unit trust products , first they scare you and then they impress you with a certified financial planner title.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2018-06-05 16:07 | Report Abuse

Posted by qqq3 > Jun 4, 2018 10:05 PM | Report Abuse

KYY is living proof that it can be done....Problem is Can you?
How often can you sailang? You have the confidence to sailang and margin account to the max?

This post is about the right advice to the young people in specific and the public in general about their life and personal finance.

Why you have to bring someone else here for what and propagate your gambling mentality of margin and sailang?

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-06-05 17:34 | Report Abuse

Posted by kcchongnz > Jun 5, 2018 04:07 PM | Report Abuse

Why you have to bring someone else here for what and propagate your gambling mentality of margin and sailang?
===============================

to show it can be done....done properly, legally, successfully.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2018-06-05 18:18 | Report Abuse

Posted by qqq3 > Jun 4, 2018 09:53 PM | Report Abuse

There are all kind of people in this world.

Rational and good citizens scorn cheating and kleptocracy. But still Some like the commentator above worship them.

newbie8080

2,729 posts

Posted by newbie8080 > 2018-06-05 19:05 | Report Abuse

@ Jon Choivo

I think 20% return p.a is not quite possible.
Somewhere between 10%-15% is more realistic.

Jon Choivo

3,668 posts

Posted by Jon Choivo > 2018-06-05 20:32 | Report Abuse

Yeah. Just saying.

If you are super investor, with a small capital base (less than 500m), its possible. Probably a lot of volatility.

Flintstones

1,762 posts

Posted by Flintstones > 2018-06-05 20:40 | Report Abuse

to sell u insurance and unit trust products , first they scare you and then they impress you with a certified financial planner title.

stockmanmy, i must clap for you. well said! CFP lai liao!

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-06-05 21:49 | Report Abuse

newbie8080 > Jun 5, 2018 07:05 PM | Report Abuse

@ Jon Choivo

I think 20% return p.a is not quite possible.
Somewhere between 10%-15% is more realistic.
=========

whether 10%, 20% or higher volatility depends on your portfolio design ..........go sailang ,u can get 30% or more volatility a year easily.....

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-06-05 21:51 | Report Abuse

y Flintstones > Jun 5, 2018 08:40 PM | Report Abuse

===========

its something everybody knows , yet every body still uses

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2018-06-06 05:34 | Report Abuse

Posted by qqq3 > Jun 5, 2018 09:49 PM | Report Abuse

whether 10%, 20% or higher volatility depends on your portfolio design ..........go sailang ,u can get 30% or more volatility a year easily.....

John was saying about return, the percentage earned each year.

Um, I never know people invest for "volatility".

Go "sailang" and get 30% or more volatility? Volatility for what?

"Sailang"? What has been the result of your "sailang" so far this year? Lost your underwear?

You just blurt out rubbish from your mouth without going through your brain!

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2018-06-06 06:15 | Report Abuse

Posted by qqq3 > Jun 5, 2018 03:15 PM | Report Abuse

======
isn't selling insurance and unit trust products what it is all about?

Can't imagine the thinking of a 60+ old, accountant some more, has this type of extreme shallow, uninformed thinking.

Flintstones

1,762 posts

Posted by Flintstones > 2018-06-06 07:53 | Report Abuse

stockman, obviously this kc虫 only knows how to extrapolate data from past results lah. I am quite certain he will apply the same thing in his new financial planning business. You know what? Hes gonna ask you to put your money in 4% FD and show you nice charts 100 years into the future to convince dumbos he is smart!

Flintstones

1,762 posts

Posted by Flintstones > 2018-06-06 07:55 | Report Abuse

Kc虫 was a mediocre market speculator at best. Those who engaged his service will know. He knows too. And hence the change of career direction.

paperplane

21,544 posts

Posted by paperplane > 2018-06-06 08:14 | Report Abuse

Not logic to get a lousy car. Spend few more thpusands tp get a decent one. Thpse 5k in long run ypu spend more on maintenance

paperplane

21,544 posts

Posted by paperplane > 2018-06-06 08:15 | Report Abuse

I agree with goh. Je is the most consustent guy here. Worth to listen to his advise

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2018-06-06 08:28 | Report Abuse

Posted by Flintstones > Jun 5, 2018 08:40 PM | Report Abuse

Finally I find our loyal follower of yours. Snakes and rats lying on the same bed.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2018-06-06 08:33 | Report Abuse

Posted by Flintstones > Jun 6, 2018 07:53 AM | Report Abuse

stockman, obviously this kc虫 only knows how to extrapolate data from past results lah. I am quite certain he will apply the same thing in his new financial planning business. You know what? Hes gonna ask you to put your money in 4% FD and show you nice charts 100 years into the future to convince dumbos he is smart!

So far I have written 318 articles in i3investor here,

https://klse.i3investor.com/jsp/blog/blmain.jsp

And you have 1258 posts here,

https://klse.i3investor.com/servlets/cube/post/flintstones.jsp

It doesn't need a genius to differentiate who is likely to be a 虫, a parasite.

Sslee

4,797 posts

Posted by Sslee > 2018-06-06 08:54 | Report Abuse

Dear all,
My advice to all youngsters just starting your first job is to plan your career path. Set a target what you want to be in 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 years from now.
For the first 5 year, you need to concentrate in investing in your human capital, be the first one to arrive and last one to leave. Learn from everyone the inside out of your trade, read book, get to know people, help/teach and prepare your subordinate to take on greater responsibility (higher post) and get yourself a good superior/mentor that can help or show you how things is done. Find pride in your work. Avoid office politics and keep a distant from those good for nothing boot licker. Build up a relationship with those sharing the same value/principle/hardworking/trustworthiness people. When you are ready and know your worth then it time for you to think what you really want in life. (You create your own fortune/luck when preparation meets opportunity)

I still remember I first bought my insurance Great Eastern Economic life when I get my first job (RM600/year with term raider) and nominated my mum as benefactor. That the least I can do for my parent and sending back RM200 to my parents every month.
On share investment, we actually apply for share during IPO and it was almost like getting extra bonus if you are lucky to get one. (Sure winner).

Thank you.

Sami_Value

430 posts

Posted by Sami_Value > 2018-06-06 08:58 | Report Abuse

property investment is good provided it is done correctly. it should be the gateway for your first pot of silver.

1) find the down payment 10% - this is always the challenge but it can be done. You just have to find the way - out of the box. If everyone can do it, no challenge already.

2) buy a property at the strategic location - must be ready to move in. Pay installment monthly = paying rental monthly. Lease out the excess vacant rooms = additional rental collection to ease burden of commitment. leverage on the housing loan. Some ppl get net income by doing this.

3) after properties appreciated in value a few years, you can decide to dispose it. The gain will be easily 6 digits. There goes your first pot of silver.

PlsGiveBonus

3,749 posts

Posted by PlsGiveBonus > 2018-06-06 09:19 | Report Abuse

This stock market now look like marriage agreement.
After marriage all become toothless lion already,
Real man become scare of women.
This is what happen to the stock market, investor become married to the director of the company who sell their useless derivatives. After marriage all investor become toothless lion already.
This is what happens when you highly regulate stock market just like how society highly regulate marriage market, it favours the inequalities over meritocracy.
:)

PlsGiveBonus

3,749 posts

Posted by PlsGiveBonus > 2018-06-06 09:26 | Report Abuse

Who is the one tell you don’t get marry to the same company?
They failed to tell you how the marriage agreement work against your personal goal of life.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2018-06-06 10:11 | Report Abuse

Excellent advice ks55, gohkimhock, sslee, Sami-value.

sslee, I particularly like your comment below,

"keep a distant from those good for nothing boot licker"

Post a Comment
Market Buzz