256 comment(s). Last comment by tah16600 2018-08-24 10:38

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2018-08-11 12:47 |

Post removed.Why?

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2018-08-11 12:58 | Report Abuse

u see all these successful fund managers....they no need borrowings...bcos they use other people monies or fund monies loh....!!

if successful....they partake on the share of profit loh...!!
if fail ok loh...no need to pay anything, wait for next yr performance loh..!!

Even so this people still need to perform well for their own reputation sake and for its long term fund sustained survival loh...!!

Raider is sure these people....will do well, even if they use margin to invest bcos the cost is only low 5% pa loh....!!

So whether u use other people funds to invest as a fund manager or u use margin to invest....there is always a cost...either opportunity cost or real margin interest cost mah...!!

Posted by kcchongnz > Aug 11, 2018 12:43 PM | Report Abuse

And the conservative, kiasu and kiasi super investors, Seth Klarmen, Howard Marks, Joel Greenblatt, etc. they are making more and more billions for themselves and their investors.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2018-08-11 13:01 | Report Abuse

Thats is the problem of this kc loh....!!
No wonder kyy says no business sense loh...!!
In life u must approach things with positive attitude in everything, work very hard, prepare to explore & experiment, not afraid of failure bcos even if u fail u know u can always bounce back up, that is what the importants traits of successful businessman or people mah...!!

Whatever u do, need to find something worthwhile to do with positive mental attitude loh....!!
Margin investment is something positive to learn & do loh, if u master it can amplify ur wealth alot loh....!!

It is a very good 2nd source income loh....!!

Hey, I did not know you are his fan now.

But you still can't fathom the vast differences between life in general and investing in the context of positive or confidence attitude and levels.

By the way, this is he said most recently, someone you said was very successful in MF. I seldom re-post what he said, but since this is a good statement, I will do it here to show some good thing about him.

"From the company announcement, you can see that my wife and I have been selling to meet margin call. Forced selling is a vicious cycle. The more we sell the more the price will drop which causes more forced selling until more investors buy on cheap sale to support the price.

I must admit my wife and I have bought too much Jaks with Margin loan. Jaks has very good profit growth prospect, especially when the power plant in Vietnam is completed in about 2 years. Jake is like XO brandy, I drank too much until I have to vomit it out. I must admit that I was too greedy. I am sorry that many of my followers are also affected by the depressed price. I hope they did not buy with margin loan."

The last sentence "I hope they did not buy with margin loan." is emphasized here.

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2018-08-11 13:06 | Report Abuse

don get me wrong loh...i m not a fan of kyy...i actually oppose to alot of things he do loh...!!

But one thing...he says kc no business sense...he got it right loh...!!

Kc comment,
Hey, I did not know you are his fan now.

But you still can't fathom the vast differences between life in general and investing in the context of positive or confidence attitude and levels.

By the way, this is he said most recently, someone you said was very successful in MF. I seldom re-post what he said, but since this is a good statement, I will do it here to show some good thing about him.

"From the company announcement, you can see that my wife and I have been selling to meet margin call. Forced selling is a vicious cycle. The more we sell the more the price will drop which causes more forced selling until more investors buy on cheap sale to support the price.

I must admit my wife and I have bought too much Jaks with Margin loan. Jaks has very good profit growth prospect, especially when the power plant in Vietnam is completed in about 2 years. Jake is like XO brandy, I drank too much until I have to vomit it out. I must admit that I was too greedy. I am sorry that many of my followers are also affected by the depressed price. I hope they did not buy with margin loan."

The last sentence "I hope they did not buy with margin loan." is emphasized here.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2018-08-11 13:10 | Report Abuse

Posted by stockraider > Aug 11, 2018 01:06 PM | Report Abuse
don get me wrong loh...i m not a fan of kyy...i actually oppose to alot of things he do loh...!!

So this KC no business sense?

I thought you have been saying this KC is a good investor all this while?

Why change of your opinion in so short time?

All because I write against people propagating MF?

Use of MF is the only business sense, as oppose to study and analysis the business if it is a good business and buy when it is selling cheap?

Now I understand what your business sense is.

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2018-08-11 13:14 | Report Abuse

why raider are disappointed with kc...?/

his understanding of investment is good....but his negative mental attitude...impede his potential loh...!!

Posted by stockraider > Aug 11, 2018 01:06 PM | Report Abuse

So this KC no business sense?

I thought you have been saying this KC is a good investor all this while?

Why change of your opinion in so short time?

All because I write against people propagating MF?

Use of MF is the only business sense, as oppose to study and analysis the business if it is a good business and buy when it is selling cheap?

Now I understand what your business sense is.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2018-08-11 13:19 | Report Abuse

Posted by stockraider > Aug 11, 2018 01:14 PM | Report Abuse
his understanding of investment is good....but his negative mental attitude...impede his potential loh...!!

Okay. For the first statement, thank you very much.

For the second statement, I am very happy with my achievement in investing so far, and most of all, my propagation and teaching the public some good philosophies and attitude needed to be successful in investing in the long term.

I will stop arguing with you. It is unproductive.

By the way, whatever you think about me doesn't deter me from my missions, which I think it is good for the young and the public.

Best of luck to you.

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2018-08-11 13:31 | Report Abuse

still there is a caveat loh....!!

The Chinese investment kungfu chapter 1 to 6 u have master loh...!!

But the most advance investment chapter kungfu... chapter 7 Use of margin to amplify return and chapter 8 the art of sailang u have not cover yet mah...!!

I say u r not a complete investor yet loh....!!

Posted by kcchongnz > Aug 11, 2018 01:19 PM | Report Abuse

For the second statement, I am very happy with my achievement in investing so far, and most of all, my propagation and teaching the public some good philosophies and attitude needed to be successful in investing in the long term.

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-08-11 14:20 | Report Abuse

As you usual, your thinking betray you failure to look at probabilities.

For every successful business man, who used debt well, there is hundreds more who died because of debt.

But the one who go broke because of debt, they stay silent because its embarrassing. Those who were successful, well, they are very loud.

=============

good, that is why more must be done to encourage people to be entrepreneurs, to provide more funding more margin accounts , to seek risks.....China is so prosperous because it is a nation of risk seekers.

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-08-11 14:57 | Report Abuse

anyway I have digressed. But this kc the newzealander seems intent on bringing his NZ culture into Malaysia.....

NZ is a nation of contented salaried workers, where got margin accounts ?

Malaysia and China grows on the back of business people, risk takers, innovators, the self employed ......plenty of margin accounts and that is the way it should be.

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-08-11 15:02 | Report Abuse

We like to see the stock market active, lots of liquidity, lots of margin accounts and syndicates, lots of people die and lots of people live...One even live to 84, sailang and margin calls is just a day in the office for him.
margin call is not the end of the world , it is just another day in the office.

johnchong

635 posts

Posted by johnchong > 2018-08-11 15:39 | Report Abuse

Whatever all the arguments above/here.
The ?/Q factor created by his constant remarks on M makes me vary to take a position in JAKS, as you don't know what the so call powerful M might do in spite of their past better relationship.

Pride before a fall

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-08-11 15:40 | Report Abuse

I think the stock market should be treated as a chess game, a war, You die better than I die. Plenty of liquidity, plenty of margin accounts, plenty of syndicates. Let the lucky ones survive.

But I don't promote fake news like this fellow....

http://klse.i3investor.com/servlets/forum/600168169.jsp

I think the authorities should close them down.....Fake news is very damaging......margin accounts, perfectly legit, perfectly legal.

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2018-08-12 10:45 |

Post removed.Why?

Jhau65

66 posts

Posted by Jhau65 > 2018-08-12 10:50 | Report Abuse

Anyone know what kc roi for 2018?

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2018-08-12 10:51 | Report Abuse

The other thing raider notice kc...look at info without further deep understanding loh...!!

Example...the average poor performance of the mkt index KC HIGHLIGHTED.! THATS WHY NO CONFIDENT EVEN TO BEAT 5% PA MARGIN BENCHMARK.

RAIDER SAYS, HE LOOK AT THE MEDIOCRE AVERAGE PERFORMANCE LOH...!!
TOO SURVIVE OR QUALIFY TO REMAIN TO INVEST U SHOULD ALWAYS BEAT THIS AVERAGE LOH...!!

Posted by stockraider > Aug 11, 2018 12:58 PM | Report Abuse X

u see all these successful fund managers....they no need borrowings...bcos they use other people monies or fund monies loh....!!
if successful....they partake on the share of profit loh...!!
if fail ok loh...no need to pay anything, wait for next yr performance loh..!!

Even so this people still need to perform well for their own reputation sake and for its long term fund sustained survival loh...!!
Raider is sure these people....will do well, even if they use margin to invest bcos the cost is only low 5% pa loh....!!

So whether u use other people funds to invest as a fund manager or u use margin to invest....there is always a cost...either opportunity cost or real margin interest cost mah...!!

Posted by kcchongnz > Aug 11, 2018 12:43 PM | Report Abuse
And the conservative, kiasu and kiasi super investors, Seth Klarmen, Howard Marks, Joel Greenblatt, etc. they are making more and more billions for themselves and their investors.

Posted by stockraider > Aug 11, 2018 12:47 PM | Report Abuse X

Thats is the problem of this kc loh....!!
No wonder kyy says no business sense loh...!!
In life u must approach things with positive attitude in everything, work very hard, prepare to explore & experiment, not afraid of failure bcos even if u fail u know u can always bounce back up, that is what the importants traits of successful businessman or people mah...!!

Whatever u do, need to find something worthwhile to do with positive mental attitude loh....!!
Margin investment is something positive to learn & do loh, if u master it can amplify ur wealth alot loh....!!

It is a very good 2nd source income loh....!!

Posted by stockraider > Aug 11, 2018 01:14 PM | Report Abuse X

Posted by stockraider > Aug 11, 2018 01:31 PM | Report Abuse X

still there is a caveat loh....!!
The Chinese investment kungfu chapter 1 to 6 u have master loh...!!

But the most advance investment chapter kungfu... chapter 7 Use of margin to amplify return and chapter 8 the art of sailang u have not cover yet mah...!!

I say u r not a complete investor yet loh....!!

Posted by kcchongnz > Aug 11, 2018 01:19 PM | Report Abuse
For the second statement, I am very happy with my achievement in investing so far, and most of all, my propagation and teaching the public some good philosophies and attitude.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2018-08-12 13:23 | Report Abuse

Posted by stockraider > Aug 12, 2018 10:51 AM | Report Abuse
The other thing raider notice kc...look at info without further deep understanding loh...!!
Example...the average poor performance of the mkt index KC HIGHLIGHTED.! THATS WHY NO CONFIDENT EVEN TO BEAT 5% PA MARGIN BENCHMARK.
RAIDER SAYS, HE LOOK AT THE MEDIOCRE AVERAGE PERFORMANCE LOH...!!
TOO SURVIVE OR QUALIFY TO REMAIN TO INVEST U SHOULD ALWAYS BEAT THIS AVERAGE LOH...!!

Raider, you have no slightest sense of law of probability, and no knowledge of performance measurement. I really don't know how an investor who has no sense of probability to be successful in investing. And if he does, I can only think of luck.

But the worst part of you is, knowing the the benchmark KLCI makes less than 5% for the last 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 years, and that the young and newbies would perform well below the benchmark, and most probably losing money, you still keep on shouting to them to use MF.

Your argument that we should use the performance of the top investors as a benchmark, that the 'average", and the young should use MF because the top 1% of the investors makes 50%, or 300% return, and if you use it, you would be able to make amplified return like them, is the most ridiculous and twisted argument I have ever heard.

klee

3,174 posts

Posted by klee > 2018-08-12 13:40 | Report Abuse

stockraider,i have always admired your prediction of hengyuan to touch rm50.00...hahaha

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2018-08-12 13:42 | Report Abuse

DON PERLI RAIDER LOH.....!!
RAIDER CABUT ALL ABOVE RM 8.00 & BUT WILL BE BACK LAH SOON...!!

Posted by klee > Aug 12, 2018 01:40 PM | Report Abuse

stockraider,i have always admired your prediction of hengyuan to touch rm50.00...hahaha

3iii

12,918 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2018-08-12 15:17 | Report Abuse

>>> Posted by stockraider > Aug 12, 2018 01:42 PM | Report Abuse

stockraider,i have always admired your prediction of hengyuan to touch rm50.00...hahaha<<<

Another incredible post of raider.

His announcements are always retrospective and afyer the facts are known.

You should stay away from such a person. Serious issue of integrity.

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2018-08-12 15:31 | Report Abuse

TODAY GSB IS ABOVE RM 0.22 LOH....!!

Posted by stockraider > Aug 12, 2018 01:39 PM | Report Abuse X

THIS BRADY FUCKING 3iii, HIS AVERAGE RETURN CANNOT EVEN BEAT MY FRIEND JOHNMASTER BEST PENNY STOCK SAILANG PICK AT RM 0.07 TO RM 0.08, SOME MORE TALKING COCK SO MUCH LOH....!!

FYI JOHNMASTER Was one of THE BEST STOCK PICKER raider ever seen, but 3iii & gang HAS Bullied & INSULTED him, UNTIL HE GIVE UP POSTING LOH....!!

IT IS A BIG LOSS LOH....!!

Posted by 3iii > Aug 12, 2018 03:17 PM | Report Abuse

>>> Posted by stockraider > Aug 12, 2018 01:42 PM | Report Abuse

stockraider,i have always admired your prediction of hengyuan to touch rm50.00...hahaha<<<

Another incredible post of raider.

His announcements are always retrospective and afyer the facts are known.

You should stay away from such a person. Serious issue of integrity.

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2018-08-12 15:39 | Report Abuse

It is this kind attitude...that cause alot of misinformed opportunity mah.....!!

YOUR APPROACH IS A LOSER APPROACH LOH...!!

IF FOR 5 YRS CANNOT EVEN BEAT...THE 5% PA MEDIOCRE BENCHMARK...U BETTER GO HOME FLY KITE LOH...!!

RAIDER CANNOT THIS TYPE OF DEFEATISM LOH...!!

KC COMMENT,
Raider, you have no slightest sense of law of probability, and no knowledge of performance measurement. I really don't know how an investor who has no sense of probability to be successful in investing. And if he does, I can only think of luck.

But the worst part of you is, knowing the the benchmark KLCI makes less than 5% for the last 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 years, and that the young and newbies would perform well below the benchmark, and most probably losing money, you still keep on shouting to them to use MF.

Your argument that we should use the performance of the top investors as a benchmark, that the 'average", and the young should use MF because the top 1% of the investors makes 50%, or 300% return, and if you use it, you would be able to make amplified return like them, is the most ridiculous and twisted argument I have ever heard.

Page 1 2 3 4

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-08-12 15:44 | Report Abuse

For many good reasons, loss aversion has become accepted wisdom on how people make decisions under conditions of uncertainty. I suspect it will be a long time before that explanation is overthrown.

Loss aversion is the main driver of decisions in uncertainty...... That is why there is only one KYY. Everybody else is terrified of losing money.... That is also why KC Chong keep attacking KYY and his margin account .....my research and my interest is how to be like KYY

For good or bad, the subject of loss aversion can explain a lot of stuffs. Teachers and philosophers praise loss aversion in creating stability and human nature.
Yet without conquering loss aversion, nothing changes. ...and in stock market guarantees mediocre results at best.

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2018-08-12 15:55 | Report Abuse

CORRECTLOH....U MUST MANAGE UR LAW OF PROBABILITY & EXPECTED VALUE TO ACCUMULATE WEALTH LOH....!!

WHY U NEED TO BORROW ??
PUT IT THIS WAY LOH....IF U R. YOUR GOOD UR PROBABILITY OF SUCCESS IS 70% AND FAILURE 30% !!

U HAVE RM 30K AND HAVE THE CHANCE TO BORROW ANOTHER RM 90K....DO U START WITH RM 30K CAPITAL OR DO U START RM 120K(CAPITAL PLUS BORROWING}

THE CORRECT OR PROGRESSIVE MATHS TEACHER WILL TELL U RM 120K LOH..!
THATS WHY MOST BUSINESSMEN with Business Sense CHOSE OPTION 1.

THE NOT SO BUSINESS MINDED TEACHER WILL SAY Option 2 with RM 30K OR BETTER DON INVEST AT ALL.. PUT All INTO FD LOH...!!

Actually the correct maths answer is Rm 120k ( capital & borrowing loh)

THE NOT SO BUSINESS MINDED TEACHER WILL SAY Option 2 with RM 30K OR BETTER DON INVEST AT ALL.. PUT All INTO FD LOH...!!
This could be what most layman would advice loh, put all into fd loh...!!

U SEE HOW KC ADVICE HOSE PEOPLE TO PUT INTO FIXED DEPOSITS WHEN THE PROBABILITY OF SUCCESS IS 70% V FAILURE 30% LOH...!!
WHEN U SUPPOSE TO PUT EVERYTHING TO INVESTMENT PLUS MARGIN....WHEN U HAVE AN OBVIOUS ADVANTAGE MAH....!!

Me: Yes, my advice to the young people, knowing them they don't know enough about investment is better to put their money in bank deposit earning 3% to 4% interest a year, rather than simply buying stocks without knowing anything.

Not only advice for the young, but also the old, if they do not have any investment knowledge.

This advice is thousand times better than with 30k, borrow another 90k and punt in the stock market.

Still haven't read my analysis on the return of the broad market for the last 5 years, or you just can't comprehend?

Posted by qqq3 > Aug 12, 2018 03:44 PM | Report Abuse

For many good reasons, loss aversion has become accepted wisdom on how people make decisions under conditions of uncertainty. I suspect it will be a long time before that explanation is overthrown.

Loss aversion is the main driver of decisions in uncertainty...... That is why there is only one KYY. Everybody else is terrified of losing money.... That is also why KC Chong keep attacking KYY and his margin account .....my research and my interest is how to be like KYY

For good or bad, the subject of loss aversion can explain a lot of stuffs. Teachers and philosophers praise loss aversion in creating stability and human nature.
Yet without conquering loss aversion, nothing changes. ...and in stock market guarantees mediocre results at best.

Jon Choivo

3,668 posts

Posted by Jon Choivo > 2018-08-12 16:07 | Report Abuse

Raider,

Here is good probabilities for you.

I give you a gun with 20 chambers, there is one bullet, and ask you to play russian roulette.

5% chance you will die, if you don't, you get RM100 million.

Very good EV. But with a very definite point of ruin. This is margin for you.

This is how smart and rich people die using margin.

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2018-08-12 16:19 |

Post removed.Why?

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-08-12 16:28 | Report Abuse

if lousy, no margin also die
if good, margin no sweat.

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-08-12 16:33 | Report Abuse

conquering loss aversion is necessary

of course, not 365 days a year.....

the trick is to make the best decisions......

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2018-08-12 17:38 | Report Abuse

Posted by qqq3 > Aug 12, 2018 03:44 PM | Report Abuse

"KC Chong keep attacking KYY and his margin account"?

I have written 328 articles and made 12903 comments in i3investor so far. Go find one article or one comment I attacked him, or even mentioned about him.

I want to reiterate that whoever uses margin finance I don't give a damn. It has nothing to do with me whatsoever. But I just think I am irresponsible as a senior citizen if I don't give my opposing opinion in the public to counter the constant touting and promotion of MF to the youngsters and public.

I am not like some, in fact, may be just a couple in i3investor who have been Poning lan pa someone promoting MF. And that someone was so elated that got others PLP him and he continued to use MF and continued to buy certain stock, until margin calls and regretted about it.

By the way, this is what he said most recently. I seldom re-post what he said, but since this is a good statement, I will do it here to show some good thing about him.

If he cares to read my articles on the perils of MF, many of them in i3investor, the above won't happen.

I just worry for him if Jaks share price fall to become a penny stock, and if he still hold so much shares with so much MF.

Daily8

3,858 posts

Posted by Daily8 > 2018-08-12 18:01 | Report Abuse

Many people didn’t manage their risk well in investing. They only think they will WIN at all time on their 1st gear. That is why, they are willing to invest with borrowed money. Larger sum of investment, with expectation of lucrative ROI. They will brush aside the rest of hidden cost incurred. No matter how u inform them the danger in MF, their brain will never agree with you. WHY?

1. They are used to using MF. NO cash in hands for investing anymore. In other words, no other options.

2. They confident they are able to time the market with their 6th sense.

3. They are alcoholic abused and clinically depressed. They may sound very consident with their calls to you, but in fact, it’s a time bomb stock waiting to cut loss at anytime. Instead of he alone buying, why not get a group of people to die together.

4. MF users are usually of very financial constraint businessmen. Their debtors are high and can be said most of them are bankruptcy.

5. They see the stock market as a place of war zone, and they are the warlords. Either die gain, or die gain with nothing.

6. They willing to commit financial suicide at any given time by picking up any calls they believed will damn sure given them profit.

7. Out of 10 losing stocks in hand, the only 1 stock that profit, they will show it off with their friends. Make huge victory out of the 1 stock that made little profit. Full of grandeur and ego!

8. They will influence newbie to invest with them. At the end , they will inform you to trade at your own risk.

9. They never agreed on managing risk. To them, it’s a gamble. Market is very huge place to fish. Maybe these people are those reincarnated warlords from previous centuries.

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-08-12 18:28 | Report Abuse

critics of kyy are quick to jump to conclusions.

what they don't realise is...they don't have what it takes to be a KYY.

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2018-08-12 18:37 | Report Abuse

General Raider has never agreed to the way KYY invest & the use of margin loh....!!

a)If u use margin to buy out 30% of a single stock, what happen u make a judgemental mistake leh ?? U R STUCKED LOH....!!

b) Why do he think JAK is such a napshot, when it had not even generate 1 MW of power leh ??
The profit generated from Jaks today....is earned on own estimation of value of power plant when completed, compare to own estimate cost of construction, in other word...the profit is actually came from book paper entry earning from ownself loh....!!

c) Furthermore jaks has poor business track records and with heavy borrowing, all these points to obvious danger loh....!!

Having say that the force selling of Jaks, if done by the banks, appear it is really well absorbed by the mkt, as the share price did not really fall below rm 1.00 loh....!!

Kyy ways of investment is like ' Jesse Livermore ' pushing too far and suicidal loh...!!

So raider advice if u invest using margin do not follow KYY as a benchmark in your investment approach loh...!!

I would say serve KYY right this time loh...!!

KYY COMMENT;

RAIDER COMMENT,
It is quite normal to make this type of remorseful statement loh....!!
When kyy face with danger loh...!!

Kc comment,
If he cares to read my articles on the perils of MF, many of them in i3investor, the above won't happen.
I just worry for him if Jaks share price fall to become a penny stock, and if he still hold so much shares with so much MF.

Raider comment;
BUT DO NOT BLAME MARGIN LOH.....IT IS ONLY A TOOL, IT IS NEUTRAL LOH, IF U MISS USE IT, ....IT IS DANGEROUS LOH...!!
JUST LIKE A CAR, IF U SIMPLY DRIVE VERY FAST, IT IS DANGEROUS MAH..!!

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2018-08-12 18:53 |

Post removed.Why?

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2018-08-12 19:25 | Report Abuse

IF U R REALLY A TRADER & U WANT TO FIND A ROLE MODEL THAT U CAN EMULATE, THEN TRY GEORGE SOROS WHICH AN IMPROVE VERSION OF JESSE LIVERMORE LOH....!!

THE INVESTMENT APPROACH OF CALVIN TAN
Author: calvintaneng | Latest post: Sat, 11 Aug 2018, 07:13 PM

While i read up some comments in Jaks forum I noticed one forumer quoted George Soros.
It is always good to learn some new stuff everyday. And also to get some old truth re enforced as well.

1. “If investing is entertaining, if you’re having fun, you’re probably not making any money. Good investing is boring.” – As I discussed in this article, personal emotions have no place in investing. If you want to be successful in the long-run, base your investment decisions on rationality and discipline.

2. “I’m only rich because I know when I’m wrong…I basically have survived by recognizing my mistakes.” – Almost every successful investor that I’ve written about knows this. That is, you must recognize and admit your mistakes when you make them, cut your losses short, and move on to the next logical step.

3. “The financial markets generally are unpredictable. So that one has to have different scenarios… The idea that you can actually predict what’s going to happen contradicts my way of looking at the market.” – Successful traders abide by this philosophy by heart. Markets truly are random and no one knows where, when, and how prices will move. The key is to be ready for every scenario that can happen so that you can take advantage of the opportunities that lay ahead.

4. “Markets are constantly in a state of uncertainty and flux, and money is made by discounting the obvious and betting on the unexpected.” – Since markets are random, anything can happen, even the “unexpected.” The biggest opportunities lie in those unexpected events because most people are betting on the obvious, and in the market, most people are wrong.

5. “The worse a situation becomes, the less it takes to turn it around, and the bigger the upside.” – This is true in life as well as in investing. When you hit rock-bottom, every inch of improvement feels so much better and powerful. If you bought Goldman Sachs (GS) in the midst of the subprime crisis in 2009, you could’ve made more than thrice your money just a year after.

6. “Stock market bubbles don’t grow out of thin air. They have a solid basis in reality, but reality as distorted by a misconception.” – Stock market bubbles start with good corporate or economic fundamentals. Things just go out of hand when people’s misguided greed comes into play.

7. “I contend that financial markets never reflect the underlying reality accurately; they always distort it in some way or another and the distortions find expression in market prices.” – Just like Warren Buffett, Soros also looks at value over price. They both know that price is just noise made by human emotions in the markets. Value, on the other hand, is the intrinsic worth of an asset.

8. “Unfortunately, the more complex the system, the greater the room for error.” – Obviously, when it comes to investing, Soros like to KISS (keep it simple, silly). He built a financial empire by adhering to this basic principle, and so should you. A simple but effective investing system will always beat the crap out of a complex system that doesn’t work.

9. “Making an investment decision is like formulating a scientific hypothesis and submitting it to a practical test. The main difference is that the hypothesis that underlies an investment decision is intended to make money and not to establish a universally valid generalization.” – The simple goal of investing is to make money, not to be right all the time. As a trader, I abide by this mantra and it makes it easy for me to accept losses easily and to stick to my investing plan.

10. “We try to catch new trends early and in later stages we try to catch trend reversals. Therefore, we tend to stabilize rather than destabilize the market. We are not doing this as a public service. It is our style of making money.” – Again, like Warren Buffet, Soros enters markets based on valuations. He buys when prices are “low” and sells when they are “high,” thereby effectively catching trend reversals.

If you look at these quotes, you can see that Soros has very similar investment philosophies with Warren Buffet. I guess great minds really do think alike, so let’s adapt these principles into our own investing to get some kick-ass results.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2018-08-12 21:02 | Report Abuse

Bingo, these explain very well. Thanks for the comments.

Posted by Daily8 > Aug 12, 2018 06:01 PM | Report Abuse

Many people didn’t manage their risk well in investing. They only think they will WIN at all time on their 1st gear. That is why, they are willing to invest with borrowed money. Larger sum of investment, with expectation of lucrative ROI. They will brush aside the rest of hidden cost incurred. No matter how u inform them the danger in MF, their brain will never agree with you. WHY?

1. They are used to using MF. NO cash in hands for investing anymore. In other words, no other options.

2. They confident they are able to time the market with their 6th sense.

3. They are alcoholic abused and clinically depressed. They may sound very confident with their calls to you, but in fact, it’s a time bomb stock waiting to cut loss at anytime. Instead of he alone buying, why not get a group of people to die together.

4. MF users are usually of very financial constraint businessmen. Their debtors are high and can be said most of them are bankruptcy.

5. They see the stock market as a place of war zone, and they are the warlords. Either die gain, or die gain with nothing.

6. They willing to commit financial suicide at any given time by picking up any calls they believed will damn sure given them profit.

7. Out of 10 losing stocks in hand, the only 1 stock that profit, they will show it off with their friends. Make huge victory out of the 1 stock that made little profit. Full of grandeur and ego!

8. They will influence newbie to invest with them. At the end , they will inform you to trade at your own risk.

9. They never agreed on managing risk. To them, it’s a gamble. Market is very huge place to fish. Maybe these people are those reincarnated warlords from previous centuries.

Sslee

5,580 posts

Posted by Sslee > 2018-08-12 21:30 | Report Abuse

Dear all,
Do not be so serious on the comments, raider just have too much time by his side and he just need someone to argue with or chit-chat and had found a perfectly ideal place in i3 comments. As he say he is too old to use MF now and no young newbie will be able with 30K capital MF another 90K to invest in share so do not be too alarm. Also let him some space to believe what he wants to believe that he, the great General Raider miss the chance to make millions on Hengyuan.
Thank you

VenFx

14,784 posts

Posted by VenFx > 2018-08-12 23:28 | Report Abuse

Hi ! kcchongnz
I find your articles always mind blogging...
How you see Mmsv ?
Would the biz model and their balance health ok ? Tq

qqq3

13,202 posts

Posted by qqq3 > 2018-08-12 23:31 | Report Abuse

if kc is any value...any second hand book in lorong also of value and can make you a millionaire.

VenFx

14,784 posts

Posted by VenFx > 2018-08-12 23:36 | Report Abuse

kcchongnz ,
What would be the better matrix to measure MMSV ?

Some say EV/EBITA
Others say Peg ...
Very much to see your opinions... tq

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2018-08-12 23:37 | Report Abuse

Posted by Sslee > Aug 12, 2018 09:09 PM | Report Abuse
Dear alibabacoming,
A true friend will give his different views honestly and hope you will see the both side of story. A faked friend will always praise you and say yes to you and hope to profit from you.
Thank you

Sslee,
Few in i3investor can see what you see, and did what you had done in the right way honestly.

However, that is human nature. If you give a sincere and truthful comment, you could be scorned off, or even scolded, and called names. But if someone keeps on PLP like the qqq above, he will be so happy and praised him, or even throw him some crumbs in return.

That qqq will continue to PLP, even though his master is suffering from huge losses, partly because of the confirmation bias as a result of the PLP.

But I think you have lost nothing.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2018-08-13 00:50 | Report Abuse

Posted by VenFx > Aug 12, 2018 11:36 PM | Report Abuse
kcchongnz ,
Some say EV/EBITA
Others say Peg ...

I generally like EV/Ebit. I hardly use PEG as it is flawed, and at best be used as a guide for high growth company, with a cap on the growth rate. For a growth company like MMSV, DCFA with margin of safety may be more appropriate. But many investors do not like DCFA.

VenFx

14,784 posts

Posted by VenFx > 2018-08-13 00:58 | Report Abuse

Posted by kcchongnz > Aug 13, 2018 12:50 AM | Report Abuse 

Posted by VenFx > Aug 12, 2018 11:36 PM | Report Abuse 
kcchongnz , 
Some say EV/EBITA 
Others say Peg ... 

I generally like EV/Ebit. I hardly use PEG as it is flawed, and at best be used as a guide for high growth company, with a cap on the growth rate. For a growth company like MMSV, DCFA with margin of safety may be more appropriate. But many investors do not like DCFA.

ME : THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY ... will try to apply with your suggestion by DCFA.

3iii

12,918 posts

Posted by 3iii > 2018-08-13 07:52 | Report Abuse

Referring to my dishonest friend:

Empty vessel makes the loudest noise.

Stop blowing your trumpet. We know how good you are.

Be humble.

Rebuild your reputation.

3iii

Sslee

5,580 posts

Posted by Sslee > 2018-08-13 08:40 | Report Abuse

Dear all,
Don’t be too harsh on qqq3. Let him dream on that with his special skill he can turn his 300K investment into 300 millions in 20 year time. I wish him good luck.
As for me, I am contented man still learning how to invest but very importantly learn how to enjoy life, relax and share my happiness/knowledge with person I care.
For what profits a man if he gains the whole world but at the end of the day do not have friends and loved ones to share the wealth/knowledge and joy with.
I just received my BMW 530e, my wife must have love it after complaining that her 10 year old Toyota Altis started to give her problems.
Thank you.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2018-08-13 08:47 | Report Abuse

Posted by VenFx > Aug 12, 2018 11:28 PM | Report Abuse
Hi ! kcchongnz
I find your articles always mind blogging...
How you see Mmsv ?
Would the biz model and their balance health ok ? Tq

I think MMSV has good prospect. I have invested some too more than 3 years ago.

VenFx

14,784 posts

Posted by VenFx > 2018-08-13 09:02 | Report Abuse

Yeah ! I noticed that kcchongz,
That is another plus for Mmsv.

I believe its room for market to realise Mmsv pottential is mouths watering.

Ayoyo

379 posts

Posted by Ayoyo > 2018-08-13 10:16 | Report Abuse

While I have the utmost respect for KC's work, I don't agree with his one sided mindset on MF... To me, it's an excellent tool for someone who has developed his trading edge and acumen in risk management, to reap maximized returns with limited capital.. The only caveat being, is one competent enough to handle it?

Trading, just like any for profit venture, should be treated as that, a business... If one goes into business purely on the basis of the current or next sexy trends, takes on leverage with no insights into business management, then he's ultimately screwed

Much like trading, if one takes MF and start shooting anything popular that moves, margin or not, one is bound to get screwed many times over...

Take these 3 quotes from masters
A fool and his money will soon be parted

The objective is to make money, and not to being right all the time..

The key to success in the markets is not what you do when you Rae right but how you respond when you are wrong

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2018-08-13 10:29 |

Post removed.Why?

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2018-08-13 10:38 | Report Abuse

Ayoyo,

Thank you for your comments. A fair comment.
Yes, I do not use MF. It is my golden rule in investing and I have elaborated many times with my articles in i3investor. If you have made a lot of money using MF, good on you. Please carry on.I have absolute nothing against anyone using MF.

In a democratic country, there are many different views, and we don't have to agree with each other.

However, please read this article over and over again, and also my other articles in the use of MF. Then ask yourself the following,

1) Do I have anything against people like you using MF, or ever mentioned before that those people who use MF are bad?
2) Am I writing about issues like the perils of MF, or about people like you, raiders, kyy etc, that you guys are terrible?
3) Who are the audience my articles is directed to, people like you, kyy, raiders, or the young and inexperienced in the stock market?
4) Are there the opposite side of your advantages of using MF which can have serious consequences to the young and inexperienced?
5) If there is, isn't that an irresponsible act, especially if you are a well respected person in the society and people tend to follow you.
6) Haven't I provided adequate data and analysis in my articles, or have I been just talking nonsense about the perils of MF?

I reiterate here, go ahead and make your money in MF. That does'nt bother me at all. But be aware that if you propagate to the young and inexperienced, and the market goes the other way round, the pain is two and a half times than the enjoy when they are right, if you don't know about this.

When there is a meltdown of the market, or a particular stock, which happen often, and the public (not talking about you) are heavy in MF, it won't be pretty. Everybody will suffer, including those who do not use MF.

Posted by Ayoyo > Aug 13, 2018 10:16 AM | Report Abuse

While I have the utmost respect for KC's work, I don't agree with his one sided mindset on MF... To me, it's an excellent tool for someone who has developed his trading edge and acumen in risk management, to reap maximized returns with limited capital.. The only caveat being, is one competent enough to handle it?

Trading, just like any for profit venture, should be treated as that, a business... If one goes into business purely on the basis of the current or next sexy trends, takes on leverage with no insights into business management, then he's ultimately screwed

Much like trading, if one takes MF and start shooting anything popular that moves, margin or not, one is bound to get screwed many times over...

Take these 3 quotes from masters
A fool and his money will soon be parted

The objective is to make money, and not to being right all the time..

The key to success in the markets is not what you do when you Rae right but how you respond when you are wrong

Ayoyo

379 posts

Posted by Ayoyo > 2018-08-13 11:21 | Report Abuse

KC, thanks for the clarification to which I agree they're sound advice for newbies

To be honest, like you, I do not use MF, firstly, because I don't have to.. As a trader, my trading velocity is very high (and holdings short term, 3 minutes to 3 weeks) . Sometimes, up to 7 times my collateral in an active month... My cash holdings are usually very high above 70% almost all the time (thus no need for MF) ... Then, if I'm so good, why don't I use leverage to maximize my profit?

it's due to my own risk management rule.. Contrary to popular belief, you are not in battle with syndicates but yourself.. I'd rather not over trade but do it sizeable enough, yet not too large that will have a detrimental effect on my temperament that ultimately affects my objective judgement on a trade

But trading, speculating or investing is a very interesting proposition for one, provided he does it right.. It truly gives one the independence, both financially and emotionally... The parent of a 15 year old student who is attending the same international school as my kid, is starting her son young on trading... Paying a mentor to guide her kid to trade forex... The parent even provided a small seed capital for him to trade and he's breaking even... The mom is a successful options trader who left the corporate world to go full time.

Success stories like that inspires...

Post a Comment
Market Buzz