Be the first to like this.

1 comment(s). Last comment by alenac 2013-10-28 18:24

alenac

2,648 posts

Posted by alenac > 2013-10-28 18:24 | Report Abuse

Money politics played a role in ensuring that undeserving candidates emerged winners in the recent Umno party elections, said former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.

He said he was not convinced that corruption had been eliminated from the recent Umno elections and that money was still being splashed around.

"I think there was a lot of money involved, going into the millions and loads of people who should not be getting votes were getting votes because of the money they spent," he said in Putrajaya this morning.

Money politics played a role in ensuring that undeserving candidates emerged winners in the recent Umno party elections, said former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.

He said he was not convinced that corruption had been eliminated from the recent Umno elections and that money was still being splashed around.

"I think there was a lot of money involved, going into the millions and loads of people who should not be getting votes were getting votes because of the money they spent," he said in Putrajaya this morning.

Dr Mahathir said that such corrupt practices were also carried out in general elections where voters wanted to know what was in it for them for casting their ballots.

“Initially, we were very nationalistic and thought of the country first. The first few general elections were not so much affected by corruption. But the country has come to a stage where corruption is accepted as part of our way of life and culture,” he said.

“Selling votes became a culture, and it is no longer about the country’s progress. When it gets to that stage, corruption is general and rampant.”

He said during his time, he had won election, lost election and even won uncontested.

“The most unhappy moment for the people in my constituency was when I won uncontested, because there was then no money to buy them nasi lemak and cigarettes.

“That was because it was a done deal. If there was a contest, the candidates of course would be willing to fork out money to gain support,” he added.

Mahathir also lamented that the country’s future would get worse with corruption but suggested that one way to curb the practice in government would be to reduce the period required for government approvals for projects and contracts.

“Yes, you must punish those found guilty (of corruption), but we must also make sure that all government projects are implemented according to procedures and within the shortest timeframe possible. – October 28, 2013.

Post a Comment
Market Buzz