Agreed without any reservation!

yfchong

5,743 posts

Posted by yfchong > 2017-09-24 08:17 | Report Abuse

Good sharing

rchi

20,912 posts

Posted by rchi > 2017-09-24 10:19 | Report Abuse

KC's articles have depth and cater for investors across the spectrem unlike some self proclaimed gurus.KC is a gem in i3.

Posted by donfollowblindly > 2017-09-24 10:25 | Report Abuse

Beg to differ. If KC Chong damn good he must be very rich. Can he name a counter his name appear as top 30 shareholder in annual report?

CharlesT

14,572 posts

Posted by CharlesT > 2017-09-24 10:32 | Report Abuse

Is it ok to show name as 30 top shareholders in xinquan?is this kind of track record ok?

Posted by bursagoinglong > 2017-09-24 10:35 | Report Abuse

donfollowblindly Beg to differ. If KC Chong damn good he must be very rich. Can he name a counter his name appear as top 30 shareholder in annual report?

That is a very naive.. Being sensible doenst necessarily means that he will be rich.

CharlesT

14,572 posts

Posted by CharlesT > 2017-09-24 10:36 | Report Abuse

A lot of oldman blind followers like to think using their backside

CharlesT

14,572 posts

Posted by CharlesT > 2017-09-24 10:40 | Report Abuse

They cant argue logically with u so will divert into asking u to show yr track records such as whether u r any of the 30 top shareholders in any listed co whether u bought xinquan fm 1.50 to 3 cents n suffer total loss of tens of millions or whether u stuck rm400m+ in lousy stocks n pay margin interest everyday..

stockraider

31,556 posts

Posted by stockraider > 2017-09-24 11:52 | Report Abuse

Raider had this to say on retirement;

1. U need to grow and accumulate wealth very much to give u a big margin of safety b4 u retire with big margin of safety, this is a prefer choice growing for capital for retirement loh...!!
Your EPF contribute about 25% of employment earnings help but it is still not enough. If u r sole proprieter is still useful u voluntary contribute to epf bcos it is tax deductible.
Say u think u need rm 3m to retire u better ask or target for Rm 7.5m to give u the require margin of safety loh...!!

2. When retire u r actually using ur wealth to generate return, u need to preserve it beside making more monies loh...!!

Raider suggest u;
a) Put at least 50% on cash like assets like fixed deposits, bonds etc.
On which 30% preferably foreign to protect it just in case.

b} Put another 40% on more enterprising investment like quality equities etc, property for rental of at least 80% and leaving 20% for risk taking. U may structure here 30% of the exposure foreign too.
So if u want to goreng stock, gamble and help ur girlfriend in need this 20% is the max loh....!!

3. The income generated from your wealth should be able to support at least 90% of your yearly living expenses plus extraordinaty expenses like travel & enjoyment, medical expenses, capex replacement requirement like new car, tv, handphone etc and special donation

4. Preferably u should own ur home debt free and should be only about 10% of ur wealth. If u stay in a valuable mansion covering 60% of ur wealth, it is preferable u downgrade by selling and buy back cheaper & smaller dwellings amounting to 10% of ur wealth, so that u can maximise ur wealth enjoyment mah!!.

5. U only leave ur wealth to your children when u r not around preferably.
Don make the mistake of transfering almost all ur wealth to your children, when u r still around and end up depending on them for hand out.

In conclusion Raider had layout a comprehensive retirement plan for u.
Just please ponder loh...!!

abangadik

2,305 posts

Posted by abangadik > 2017-09-24 11:57 | Report Abuse

rchikor so humble... you are always gem mar.

Alex Foo

12,581 posts

Posted by Alex Foo > 2017-09-24 12:27 | Report Abuse

i haven't tried dividend investing yet. My style is more to growth investing so I'm willing to forgo dividend for capital appreciation, at least for now. However, I'm impressed to see how a Padini stock purchased much earlier prior to its appreciation sees its dividend yield above 6% now (according to your record). And given its bright prospect in the apparel industry, I share the optimism that it will only go better over time.

If there's one day I'd wish to own, it'd be high quality stocks consistently reinvesting in itself at an above-average rate. Therefore when it comes to dividend, I'm torn between two options. Should I give more rooms for company to capitalize on its internally generated fund for future growth, or should I as a shareholder demand more sweet as they perform better?

Anyhow, KC has proven himself to be a reliable man in the area of fundamental investing. Give them another 20 years and we'll see how investing shines through ups and downs.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2017-09-24 12:58 | Report Abuse

Posted by donfollowblindly > Sep 24, 2017 10:25 AM | Report Abuse
Beg to differ. If KC Chong damn good he must be very rich. Can he name a counter his name appear as top 30 shareholder in annual report?

Is this article about sharing a subject on investment, or is it about gossiping who is rich and who is not?

tecpower

3,536 posts

Posted by tecpower > 2017-09-24 13:26 | Report Abuse

Avoid any funds of funds. They are funds, but they actually invest in other funds, so they will ask you for high fees and expenses. Haha

If you are not good at trading stocks, just invest in semiconductor stocks and hold them for one year. At least 50% return in a year is feasible! Many people invest in wrong sectors and stocks.

Sales

3,194 posts

Posted by Sales > 2017-09-24 13:56 | Report Abuse

KC Chong, thank you. Is wise to follow your advice. Salute!!!

hstha

3,324 posts

Posted by hstha > 2017-09-24 14:26 | Report Abuse

Stocks with high dividends outperform the market most when risk-off sentiment prevails or the economy is bad.

While dividend-paying stocks have outperformed on average over time, they have not outperformed in all market environments. In the 1990s, as highflying tech stocks with limited earnings commanded premium multiples, non-dividend-paying stocks meaningfully outperformed, besting dividend payers by nearly 5% per annum. That trend reversed in the 2000s as the tech bubble burst and non-dividend payers produced a negative return.

hstha

3,324 posts

Posted by hstha > 2017-09-24 14:50 | Report Abuse

I don't see any advantage of investing in high dividened stocks when risk-on sentiment prevails or the economy is very good. Maybe you can invest in high dividened stocks to prepare for risk-off sentiment like the North Korea tensions. But alternatively, you can invest in gold.

VenFx

14,784 posts

Posted by VenFx > 2017-09-24 14:56 | Report Abuse

Hstha, u being throw the word riskoff, I wonder how good u are in so call your riskoff strategy ?
It u jus boasting with your buble word ?
U wonder how u trapped in Anzo deadly, if your so call strategy so helpful !!!

hstha

3,324 posts

Posted by hstha > 2017-09-24 14:57 | Report Abuse

When risk-off sentiment prevails, prices of high dividened stocks do not plunge, but drop. In contrat, the price of gold surges when when risk-off sentiment prevails.

hstha

3,324 posts

Posted by hstha > 2017-09-24 14:59 | Report Abuse

I invested a small amount of money in Anzo.

gcke

1,359 posts

Posted by gcke > 2017-09-24 15:11 | Report Abuse

Investing on stocks or equities is very much dependent on one risk profile.

2.For those who can take higher risks can invest on speculative counters.Higher risk will commensurate with higher return in the form of capital gains.But with the word of caution that a proper selection of the speculative counters is essentially vital.Otherwise one can be caught big time and their investment capital shrinks with losses arising.
3.For those who have a lower risk tolerance can vouch for equities with reasonable return or DY at least above what one can enjoy from the Fixed Deposit rates.Or in short value-investing for those retirees,pensioners who are comfortable with medium rate of returns from equities.
4.In whatever investment one is buying,one must possesses sufficient or reasonable basic knowledge about the company background,financial fundamentals,profile of the BODs,the business that they are in,potential for growth,etc.At times many investors have the herd-mentality- just buying what others are buying without any rudimentary knowledge about the company.
5.Will be good IF the person can also have rudimentary knowledge or understanding on the Technical Price Charts Indicators- MA,MACD,RSI,stochastic.That will provide a useful guide and help to the person whether to Hold,Buy or Sell.

Outcome- Be clear of your risk exposure when into investing.The money is yours.Nobody can decide for you.Cheers for a happier and wonderful days ahead:-)))

i3gambler

657 posts

Posted by i3gambler > 2017-09-24 16:03 | Report Abuse

For retiree, the investment should be simple.

Instead of investing in unit trust, a combination of FKLI and EPF will give better return.

Both Mr A and Mr B have RM885K in EPF
Mr A take out all RM885K and invest in unit trust that quite close to track KLCI.
Mr B take out only 10% or RM88K, open a future account and buy/long 10 contracts of FKLI expiring on 31.12.2017 at market price of 1767.
So both of them are exposed to same risk and opportunity.
What will happen on 31.12.2017?
Let assume KLCI will go up 4% per year, and EPF’s dividend is also 4%.
Meaning KLCI will go up around 1% from today’s 1771 to 1789 on 31.12.2017.

What Mr A get?
1) 1% capital gain or RM8850,
2) Dividend of 1.02% or RM9027,
Total of RM17877.

What Mr B get?
1) Profit from FKLI = 10*50*(1789-1767) = RM11000
2) EPF Dividend of 1% = (885K-88K)*0.01 = RM7970,
Total of RM18970.

So Mr B will be better off.

Jason Lim

180 posts

Posted by Jason Lim > 2017-09-24 16:33 | Report Abuse

Good article.

LA777

3,383 posts

Posted by LA777 > 2017-09-24 16:45 | Report Abuse

I used to invest in Singapore unit trust funds, but the return is only 2.1 percent for over 10 years, then I realised that unit trust funds are not good enough for retirement, now I prefer to invest in good stocks and properties, the return is so far much better than unit trust funds.

moneypedia

5,987 posts

Posted by moneypedia > 2017-09-24 17:51 | Report Abuse

For me stock market is good, although im just a newbie only 5 months in here..but it really hard, to learn i study TA and FA wisely (sometime until late night studying graphs etc.), without any background in financial. My return in 5 months hoverinf around 20-30% make me wonder why im not go in stock market even earlier..but nevermind, it never too late and stock market i believe if we gain knowledge, will give best return during pension. And of course diversification other, reit, gold, commodities,mutual fund, etc is a must also..my2cents.

moneySIFU

5,846 posts

Posted by moneySIFU > 2017-09-24 18:13 | Report Abuse

Good sharing from Mr Chong & stockraider, I personally consider the article from Mr Chong & comment from stockraider are indeed very good advices to not only retirees but also to newbies.

For me, I treat stock market as a marketplace for buying & selling ownerships of various businesses. Understanding the businesses and industries will be important for me to choose which companies to invest.

hstha

3,324 posts

Posted by hstha > 2017-09-24 18:33 | Report Abuse

I read a lot of academic papers about stocks. That's why what I'm telling you is true.

hstha

3,324 posts

Posted by hstha > 2017-09-24 18:48 | Report Abuse

I read most of papers at google scholar. If you know basic statistics, you can understand them.

brightsmart

3,784 posts

Posted by brightsmart > 2017-09-24 18:49 |

Post removed.Why?

moneypedia

5,987 posts

Posted by moneypedia > 2017-09-24 20:18 | Report Abuse

Good sharing from all sifu here,the link sifu kchong give also good, we need to study not just good side of stocks but also the bad side of em. thumb up and thanks:)

ajim102

63 posts

Posted by ajim102 > 2017-09-24 22:33 | Report Abuse

Excellent food for thought by Sifu kcchong.thank you for your effort in creating awareness on the proper way to invest. I find dontfollowblindly comment's brings no value at all,a total waste of time for everyone who accidently read that comment. If everbody thinks like this chap then only those whose name are in the top 30 shareholder of a company can be a lecturer or professor for investment courses in universities and only those whose name is already in heaven can teach religion

Yippy68

1,664 posts

Posted by Yippy68 > 2017-09-25 07:48 | Report Abuse

buy the right reit at right price, it can be very good return.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2017-09-25 10:56 | Report Abuse

Posted by tecpower > Sep 24, 2017 01:26 PM | Report Abuse
Avoid any funds of funds. They are funds, but they actually invest in other funds, so they will ask you for high fees and expenses. Haha

Layer and layer of fees and expenses. Hard to believe investors can make much return.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2017-09-25 11:53 | Report Abuse

Posted by CharlesT > Sep 24, 2017 10:40 AM | Report Abuse
They cant argue logically with u so will divert into asking u to show yr track records such as whether u r any of the 30 top shareholders in any listed co whether u bought xinquan fm 1.50 to 3 cents n suffer total loss of tens of millions or whether u stuck rm400m+ in lousy stocks n pay margin interest everyday..

Yeah, what is important is he must be very rich. Only very rich people can be the top 30 shareholders of many firms. Even if you are top 30, it will still not good enough, because you are not the top or second top shareholders.

If you are not the top shareholder of any firm, you are not suppose to share anything about investment. Just keep quiet and admire those who got money.

If you want to write anything in 3invstor, you must show your track records.

Your track records are not what you published and shared in your articles, or portfolios, but your records must be how much money you have in your bank and investments, or have you made hundreds of millions before.

Whether if he has a good principle or process of investing is not important. He must dare to sailang.

Whatever stock he sailang is not important. As long as he dare to sailang.

If you don't buy the stocks they have bought, which have gone up, you are just a low-class investors.

The above seem to have great influence in public forums such as i3investor.

godhand

1,885 posts

Posted by godhand > 2017-09-25 12:27 | Report Abuse

lets not talk about the amount of money. its the return in percentage that matters.

some people can start from millions or rather billions, some people start from thousand

winston1

521 posts

Posted by winston1 > 2017-09-25 13:23 | Report Abuse

Everyone has different expectation and returns on investment. Some may not prefer the slow dividend yield investment compared to high growth stock. I remember Padini was at one time only RM1.00 not too long ago. Now its above RM4.00 with a growth of 400%. But remember, if there is any big correction in the market all stocks will be hit. Even good dividend yielding stock and REIT.

cold_eye

29 posts

Posted by cold_eye > 2017-09-25 14:47 | Report Abuse

1) Do I ever boast about my return?
2) Can you find my name in any annual report?

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2017-09-25 16:03 | Report Abuse

Posted by hstha > Sep 24, 2017 02:26 PM | Report Abuse

Stocks with high dividends outperform the market most when risk-off sentiment prevails or the economy is bad.

ME: AS RETIREE OR GOING TO RETIRE, RISK-OFF SHOULD BE THE WAY RATHER THAN CHASING HIGH RETURN.

IS THE MALAYSIAN ECONOMY GOOD, OR IS IT GOING TO BE VERY GOOD?

While dividend-paying stocks have outperformed on average over time, they have not outperformed in all market environments. In the 1990s, as highflying tech stocks with limited earnings commanded premium multiples, non-dividend-paying stocks meaningfully outperformed, besting dividend payers by nearly 5% per annum. That trend reversed in the 2000s as the tech bubble burst and non-dividend payers produced a negative return.

ME: WE LIKE TO OUT-PREFORM MOST OF THE TIME. BTW, NO INVESTMENT STRATEGY OUTPERFORM THE MARKET ALL THE TIME ANYWAY.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2017-09-25 16:53 | Report Abuse

Posted by hstha > Sep 24, 2017 02:50 PM | Report Abuse

I don't see any advantage of investing in high dividened stocks when risk-on sentiment prevails or the economy is very good. Maybe you can invest in high dividened stocks to prepare for risk-off sentiment like the North Korea tensions. But alternatively, you can invest in gold.

Posted by hstha > Sep 24, 2017 06:48 PM | Report Abuse
I read most of papers at google scholar. If you know basic statistics, you can understand them.

You should know that the real return of gold has been almost 0%.

Posted by Jonathan Keung > 2017-09-25 17:05 | Report Abuse

invest in properties , currencies, shares and FD after retirement ( you wont go wrong )

Jeffbkt

130 posts

Posted by Jeffbkt > 2017-09-25 21:08 | Report Abuse

If I have 1 Million and I leave it in EPF with average 6% annual dividend, I still can withdraw 60K a year without touching my principal. Nowadays EPF allow member to withdraw the dividend only. So if you are not good and hardwork in equity investment, don't ever think to take the risk.

Ooi Teik Bee

11,040 posts

Posted by Ooi Teik Bee > 2017-09-25 21:19 | Report Abuse

Posted by kcchongnz > Sep 24, 2017 12:58 PM | Report Abuse

Posted by donfollowblindly > Sep 24, 2017 10:25 AM | Report Abuse

Is this article about sharing a subject on investment, or is it about gossiping who is rich and who is not?

Ans : I thought donfollowblindly respected Kcchongnz a lot, he only good in attacking me only. It appears he is good in attacking all writers in I3.
His comment showed how good he is.
Did he recommend any stock to benefit all readers in I3 ? None.

Thank you.
Ooi

Posted by Equityengineer > 2017-09-25 21:35 | Report Abuse

Always be in the market, just the risk appetite changes from aggressive to conservative., that is to be safe. Ironically, after 50 and still in market after 20 years , anyone survived the test of time have better chances of making greater return. Knowledge is compounded and experience is a rear mirror.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2017-09-25 23:15 | Report Abuse

Posted by LA777 > Sep 24, 2017 04:45 PM | Report Abuse
I used to invest in Singapore unit trust funds, but the return is only 2.1 percent for over 10 years, then I realised that unit trust funds are not good enough for retirement, now I prefer to invest in good stocks and properties, the return is so far much better than unit trust funds.

The problem with Unit trusts is the fee, fee and fee. If you have to pay say 5% upfront fee, and 1-2% annual fund management fee, plus fee for asset under management, just forget about good return.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2017-09-25 23:50 | Report Abuse

Posted by Jeffbkt > Sep 25, 2017 09:08 PM | Report Abuse
If I have 1 Million and I leave it in EPF with average 6% annual dividend, I still can withdraw 60K a year without touching my principal. Nowadays EPF allow member to withdraw the dividend only. So if you are not good and hardwork in equity investment, don't ever think to take the risk.

Return from EPF of 6% is tax-free and risk-free. Put it as the fixed income allocation. Never let any financial adviser or unit trust consultant entice you to take it out and invest in unit trust.

The risk adjusted return on EPF is much higher than unit trusts.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2017-09-26 07:54 | Report Abuse

Posted by Jonathan Keung > Sep 25, 2017 05:05 PM | Report Abuse
invest in properties , currencies, shares and FD after retirement ( you wont go wrong )

That is right; a proper asset allocation and diversification.

Sales

3,194 posts

Posted by Sales > 2017-11-13 14:35 | Report Abuse

Kcchongnz, totally agree with you. EPF is a safer place to invest. While you are working, try to save some cash to invest in stock and without touching your EPF.

Post a Comment
Market Buzz