BRITISH AMERICAN TOBACCO (M)

KLSE (MYR): BAT (4162)

You're accessing 15 mins delay data. Turn on live stream now to enjoy real-time data!

Last Price

Today's Change

+0.11 (1.25%)

Day's Change

8.82 - 9.00

Trading Volume

9 people like this.

12,522 comment(s). Last comment by EngineeringProfit 1 day ago

5354_

4,646 posts

Posted by 5354_ > 2023-11-30 05:46 | Report Abuse

BAT Malaysia Jumps Over 4% as Revised Tobacco Control Bill Tabled Without Smoking Ban
https://klse.i3investor.com/web/blog/detail/ceomorningbrief/2023-11-29-story-h-213448415-BAT_Malaysia_Jumps_Over_4_as_Revised_Tobacco_Control_Bill_Tabled_Withou

Posted by DividendGuy67 > 2023-12-01 01:38 | Report Abuse

If you are winning, it means you are a good market timer. Do share how much you win.

Posted by DividendGuy67 > 2023-12-01 01:42 | Report Abuse

I once know an exceptional trader where in a long term downtrend, he managed to make money. He uses a proprietary indicator. But he is like 1 in a 1000. Vast majority of people, including 99% retailers, after 100 trades like this, would not make money in a long term downtrend.

Posted by DividendGuy67 > 2023-12-01 01:50 | Report Abuse

Personally, this stock doesn't interest me from a dividend perspective. After holding for 1 year, earn 7-9% dividend yield, but high odds to lose more than dividends received. If you plan to hold for longer than a year, odds are good that if you park your monies in FD, you are more likely to earn more with peace of mind. Don't let the high dividend yield trap you to become an "investor" when you buy because of the low price and hoping to sell at a profit (a price speculator). Know who you are, why you buy and sell. Be true to yourself.

Posted by DividendGuy67 > 2023-12-01 01:52 | Report Abuse

My top 2 largest stocks is only 7% of my entire portfolio. I am very well diversified. Last month, 16 of my stocks paid me dividends. It was a good month.

Posted by DividendGuy67 > 2023-12-01 01:54 | Report Abuse

@Jnlee, you should trade following your own rules. Don't let my views sway you. I look at this business from a long term, 10 year perspective, looking for dividend income over the long term. This stock doesn't fit my criteria for long term holding. But if you are a trader, plan to buy low sell high, then, my view should not matter to you. We would have different styles.

SinGor

4,662 posts

Posted by SinGor > 2023-12-01 18:54 | Report Abuse

Next Qr results will be massive up-tick----As i said before, Management is extreme Caution to announce
Good Profit, It is like Pouring Petrol to a "Large Flame" (GeG ) The current Ban on underage smoking is
the same restriction as Previous Ban with Vaping throw-in----However most Mid-Class smokers are rapidly
switching to Heat Not Burn which is NOT affected by Latest Restriction

Income

10,441 posts

Posted by Income > 2023-12-02 11:39 | Report Abuse

Kj bullshitting or not when he said last government okay with his GEG but why suddenly this government U turn…

Ken Chung
GEG has died a natural death. To reinstate GEG the government will have to amend the Federal Constitution principally Article 8 of the constitution which provides for equality under the law. To do this will be impossible because it affects fundamental rights. To interpret GEG any other way will be absurd because a person born in 2006 can smoke freely but a person born after 2007 will be subjected to a fine or even jail time. This is clearly against the principles of everybody being treated equally under any Laws
29/11/2023 7:10 AM

Posted by DividendGuy67 > 2023-12-02 12:21 | Report Abuse

Personally, GEG is unfair. However, as investors, our personal views doesn't matter. What's clear to me is GEG has zero impact on BAT's declining earnings past 8-10 years so, to me, I'm more concerned on its long term declining earnings than GEG because GEG is just noise - it didn't impact past 10 years, I think it shouldn't impact next 10 years, so, these are just noises.

MOBAjobg

299 posts

Posted by MOBAjobg > 2023-12-02 19:00 | Report Abuse

A provision of GEG (that was deemed as unconstitutional by AG) had impacted investors negatively to a certain extent in its PE ratio from >16 (before) to <13 (after).

klee

3,030 posts

Posted by klee > 2023-12-03 12:24 | Report Abuse

Dividendguy67,i can see you are a man who think deeply.But disregarding the impact of Geg on Bat is at best naive.How can a provision of a law that prohibits those born in 2007 or after to buy smoking products be deemed as non impactful. Prohibit= Ban = No business = No revenue. I guess this is simple enough.

klee

3,030 posts

Posted by klee > 2023-12-03 12:28 | Report Abuse

Just by omitting the Geg provision may catapult Bat price Rm2 from its lows.Further,Bat is making inroads into vape n heat not birn devices.Corporate ppl are not sitting ducks,they know how to survive.Unless of course they own those fly by night cos like serba.

Income

10,441 posts

Posted by Income > 2023-12-03 17:08 | Report Abuse

Brother, no Serba here. But price still going down?

Income

10,441 posts

Posted by Income > 2023-12-03 17:12 | Report Abuse

Old generation really smoke dry air. Nowadays, younger generation, smoking water steam.
Personally, vape is more dangerous… because lots of vapers in US developed pneumonia and went to the next world already…

Income

10,441 posts

Posted by Income > 2023-12-03 17:15 | Report Abuse

Vaper in US has retention of water 💦 in the lungs and died hereafter.

i3lurker

13,606 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2023-12-03 17:18 | Report Abuse

World is over populated.
Must encourage more people to vape.
I will propose to Gobermen to provide Free vaping classes with free vaping kit and samples at kindergarden level.

Posted by Income > 4 minutes ago | Report Abuse

Old generation really smoke dry air. Nowadays, younger generation, smoking water steam.
Personally, vape is more dangerous… because lots of vapers in US developed pneumonia and went to the next world already…

Income

10,441 posts

Posted by Income > 2023-12-03 17:23 | Report Abuse

The Chemicals You Inhale When Vaping

Instead of bathing lung tissue with a therapeutic mist, just as a nebulizer does, vaping coats lungs with potentially harmful chemicals. E-liquid concoctions usually include some mix of flavorings, aromatic additives and nicotine or THC (the chemical in marijuana that causes psychological effects), dissolved in an oily liquid base. “We think that some of the vaporized elements of the oil are getting deep down into the lungs and causing an inflammatory response,” explains Broderick.

The substance at the center of investigation is vitamin E. It’s often used as a thickening and delivery agent in e-liquid. And, while it’s safe when taken orally as a supplement or used on the skin, it’s likely an irritant when inhaled. It’s been found in the lungs of people with severe, vaping-related damage.

Other common substances found in e-liquid or produced when it’s heated up may also pose a risk to the lungs. These include:

Diacetyl: This food additive, used to deepen e-cigarette flavors, is known to damage small passageways in the lungs.

Formaldehyde: This toxic chemical can cause lung disease and contribute to heart disease.

Acrolein: Most often used as a weed killer, this chemical can also damage lungs.

Income

10,441 posts

Posted by Income > 2023-12-03 17:25 | Report Abuse

Electronic cigarettes were originally designed as a healthier alternative to traditional cigarettes. But it turns out smoking e-cigarettes -- commonly known as vaping -- has its own risks.

In August 2019, the CDC began tracking cases of severe lung problems in people who vape. Thousands had lung damage that needed treatment in hospitals, and several died from the condition. Eventually, researchers tied these cases to vaping. The illness is now called e-cigarette or vaping product use-associated lung injury (EVALI).

Doctors and researchers are still working to learn more about this condition, including its exact causes and long-term effects. But there are early signs of EVALI to watch for so you know when to get help.

Early Symptoms of EVALI

Although researchers know the condition is tied to vaping, they’re not yet clear how it happens.

“We’re still not exactly sure the exact cause of it, but there is an inflammatory response that occurs in the lung presumed due to something in the aerosol from vaping,” says Joanna Tsai, MD, a pulmonologist at the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Income

10,441 posts

Posted by Income > 2023-12-03 17:28 | Report Abuse

How many people get pneumonia from vaping?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported a rising number of cases of mysterious pneumonias linked to vaping on Friday. Now, the agency reports 450 people from 33 states and one U.S. jurisdiction have been affected. Three deaths have been confirmed, authorities said, and another is being investigated.

i3lurker

13,606 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2023-12-03 17:39 | Report Abuse

I never pity those people smoking and vaping.
They know what they are doing and they deserve it. 👍

Income

10,441 posts

Posted by Income > 2023-12-03 18:47 | Report Abuse

i3 lurker Sir, why you so black hearted???

i3lurker

13,606 posts

Posted by i3lurker > 2023-12-03 19:17 | Report Abuse

nothing to do with blackhearted.
=> Simply cause and effect.

Death is assured when you jump down from Twin Towers, top floor.

If you ride bike 130km/h at midnight with 100% no lights on, death is assured.

I had personally overtaken many motorcyclists on Plus highway with zero lights on.
Further down ... I came across motor bike plus body with newspaper covered.

I used to see 3 dead biker bodies newspaper covered per night at Plus highway every friday nite, JB to KL
They ride with no lights on. Black helmet, black jacket, black tshirt, black shoes, black socks, black gloves.

Posted by StartOfTheBull > 2023-12-03 21:15 | Report Abuse

Read how TV series Yes, Prime Minister explain about cigarette ban
The Smoke Screen (1986)
Paul Eddington: James Hacker

Jim Hacker : It says here, smoking related diseases cost the National Health Service £165 million a year.

Sir Humphrey Appleby : Yes but we've been in to that, it has been shown that if those extra 100,000 people had lived to a ripe old age, it would have cost us even more in pensions and social security than it did in medical treatment. So, financially speaking it's unquestionably better that they continue to die at their present rate.
Jim Hacker : Leslie, if we do nothing, in the next ten years in this country alone we're going to have one million premature deaths.

Leslie Potts - Minister for Sport : Yes, but evenly spread. Not just in marginal constituencies.

Jim Hacker : We're talking of 100,000 deaths a year.

Sir Humphrey Appleby : Yes, but cigarette taxes pay for a third of the cost of the National Health service. We're saving many more lives than we otherwise could, because of those smokers who voluntary lay down their lives for their friends. Smokers are national benefactors.

Jim Hacker : So long as they live.

Dr. Peter Thorn -Minister of State at the DHSS : Well, briefly, I'm proposing that the government should take action to eliminate smoking: complete ban on all cigarette sponsorship and advertising, even at the point of sale, £50 million to be spent on anti-smoking publicity, ban smoking in all public places, and progressive deterrent tax rises over the next five years until a packet of 20 costs about the same as a bottle of whisky.

James Hacker : Isn't that rather drastic?

Dr. Peter Thorn -Minister of State at the DHSS : Absolutely.

Bernard Woolley : Do you think you will win this one? The tobacco lobby is incredibly powerful.

James Hacker : Well, some you win, some you lose, Bernard. This one I shall definitely lose.

Bernard Woolley : Then why?

James Hacker : If you were the Treasury, which would you rather do without? One and a half billion pounds in tax cuts or four billion pounds in lost tobacco tax revenue?

Bernard Woolley : The tax cuts. It's smaller.

James Hacker : Exactly. That's what I want and that's what I shall get

Income

10,441 posts

Posted by Income > 2023-12-04 06:11 | Report Abuse

Every thing to do with Rm lah… they scrapped the GEG…

Posted by StartOfTheBull > 2023-12-04 06:28 | Report Abuse

New Zealand’s New Government To Repeal Tobacco GEG
https://codeblue.galencentre.org/2023/11/24/new-zealands-new-government-to-repeal-tobacco-geg/

Income

10,441 posts

Posted by Income > 2023-12-05 17:38 | Report Abuse

Bat wings now sustain injury…
I saw a real bat smoking thrown cigarette at a bus stop.

Income

10,441 posts

Posted by Income > 2023-12-05 17:41 | Report Abuse

Maybe even i3 lurker sons are now Vaping outside the mall.
Ahemmmm… i3 lurker why you don’t control your sonsss vaping in style???

Posted by DividendGuy67 > 2023-12-06 10:54 | Report Abuse

@Klee, 2 different effects. First is my point that GEG didn’t impact past 8 years reported earnings which has substantially decline due to non GEG reasons. The size of the price decline has followed earnings decline. Second is your point that the Price is additionally impacted by GEG fears. That is valid too for short term traders. However, this second effect to me is secondary and minor and is only something I consider if it’s earnings are growing. These 2 are slightly different considerations.

Posted by DividendGuy67 > 2023-12-06 10:56 | Report Abuse

How is BAT working out for those who averaged down ? - who are the good short term traders that made monies from recent rise? Do share so that we know you are a very good short term trader.

Posted by DividendGuy67 > 2023-12-06 10:57 | Report Abuse

Most retailers are poor short term traders. Every exchange including Bursa has the real statistics. It is not what is read in forums.

Posted by Penang_lang > 2023-12-06 14:42 | Report Abuse

Visa free tourists allow meaning more tourists smoker will buy Dunhill while in M'sia?

BradonOoi

619 posts

Posted by BradonOoi > 2023-12-06 15:40 | Report Abuse

Hard to confirm about that...there are various cigra brands for consumers

Income

10,441 posts

Posted by Income > 2023-12-06 16:48 | Report Abuse

The best trader is the trader in the bank or hedge fund. They don’t comment here.😝

klee

3,030 posts

Posted by klee > 2023-12-06 19:40 | Report Abuse

Dividendguy,you are asking an obvious question that a person supposedly as intelligent as you (maybe) should not have asked. :) Of course traders have not made good averaging down before geg was repealed,anyone with basic charting skills would know that.Now that GEG HAS BEEN REPEALED it is a different ball game,starting at a low base.I can bet BAT price will be much higher upon the release of its next QR compared to now,barring a steep correction of world markets.Anyway my investing time zone is 3 months only.I do not have the patience to invest 30 yrs or even 3 yrs.

klee

3,030 posts

Posted by klee > 2023-12-06 19:44 | Report Abuse

I am thus betting the last RM1 decline of Bat recently was due to the weight of Geg hanging over its head.This is a very conservative estimate from my experience.Anyway no point talking charting and other stuff with you as Dividend is your main concern.You simply will have no clue.

MOBAjobg

299 posts

Posted by MOBAjobg > 2023-12-06 21:34 | Report Abuse

I’d sold 25,000 BAT shares at prices in the range of between rm9.49 and rm9.52.
There was a good chance to grab NVidia (NVDA) stock at an irresistible price of about usd456 and 2,000 HEIM shares at a price of rm21.32 with most of BAT’s sales proceeds.

williamh

830 posts

Posted by williamh > 2023-12-07 11:50 | Report Abuse

It has been right hand to left hand lately no problem for bat, it use to be so for the IB teams work

williamh

830 posts

Posted by williamh > 2023-12-07 11:53 | Report Abuse

Placed a few hundred sellers but just less then 10 buyers to push down old tactics out of date easy to knock them down

Income

10,441 posts

Posted by Income > 2023-12-07 14:11 | Report Abuse

•Blind man falls into uncovered drain near national mosque

Income

10,441 posts

Posted by Income > 2023-12-07 16:08 | Report Abuse

Vaping and Smoking are out of date.

Nepo

3,312 posts

Posted by Nepo > 2023-12-07 19:04 | Report Abuse

Omg, bad news..
Vape not profitable..

"Third Bridge分析师表示,由于竞争激烈,企业难以从电子烟中获利。他补充称,英美烟草进入加热烟草产品市场的时间较晚,这使其处于不利地位,旨在从菲利普莫里斯的IQOS产品手中赢得市场份额的激进定价策略也尚未取得成果."

Posted by DividendGuy67 > 2023-12-07 23:42 | Report Abuse

@moba, superb trade! You bought near swing low. You sold near swing high. Definitely A+ trade. Share more on your future trades.

Posted by DividendGuy67 > 2023-12-07 23:42 | Report Abuse

@klee, learn from MOBA.

Posted by DividendGuy67 > 2023-12-08 00:24 | Report Abuse

To long term BAT lovers.
Today, BAT closes 9.16.
Another stock that closes similarly is HLIND 9.17.

If you are not a trader and you think you'll be holding BAT for "long term" (e.g. several years), you may want to consider partial / full swap.

Over the past 8 years, BAT EPS dropped from 318 sen (2015) down to 68 sen (2023 Est).
Over the same period, HLIND Net Cash grew from 275m (2016) up to 1600+ million (2023 Est).

HLIND pays a generally rising dividend from 29 sen (2015) to 57 sen (2023 Est).
BAT dividends shrunk from 312 sen (2015) down to 67 sen (2023 Est).

Think about the difference.
You don't need to be a Grade A+ trader like MOBA to win.
Buy HLIND when the price is low.
Do nothing and relax.
In a few years time, check up BAT prices again and compare your HLIND holdings.
Odds are good that you'll win with HLIND.

As usual, nothing is certain in investing.
Hence, don't bet more than 5% of your investment portfolio on any 1 idea.

Nepo

3,312 posts

Posted by Nepo > 2023-12-08 05:39 |

Post removed.Why?

Posted by Penang_lang > 2023-12-08 10:16 | Report Abuse

GEG not no more why drop?

Posted by Penang_lang > 2023-12-08 10:19 | Report Abuse

HLI do what business? Their customers will buy their product every day or every quarter like smokers once smoke become smoker every day?

Posted by Penang_lang > 2023-12-08 10:23 | Report Abuse

Smokers I know only stop smoking when they died.

Posted by Penang_lang > 2023-12-08 10:28 | Report Abuse

GEG no more meaning those born after 2007 will ensure guaranteed business for BAT when present generation smokers died.

Post a Comment
Market Buzz