Posted by 3iii > 2018-08-12 08:05 | Report Abuse

My Golden Rule of Investing: Companies that grow revenues and earnings will see share prices grow over time.

16 people like this.

3,682 comment(s). Last comment by tangox3 9 hours ago

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-04 21:07 | Report Abuse

Torpedo stocks—stocks for which investors have high expectations and which are therefore vulnerable to substantial price declines

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-04 21:08 | Report Abuse

Trader—a person whose job it is to buy and sell securities, earning a spread or commission for bringing buyers and sellers together

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-04 21:10 | Report Abuse

Treasury bills (T-bills)—noninterest-bearing obligations of the U.S. government, issued on a discount basis with original maturities ranging from three months to one year; the interest income from Treasury bills is the difference between the purchase price and par

Treasury notes (T-notes) —U.S. government obligations with original maturities ranging from one to ten years; interest is paid semiannually

Treasury bonds (T-bonds) —U.S. government obligations with original maturities of ten years or more; interest is paid semiannually

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-04 21:10 | Report Abuse

Value - the worth, calculated through fundamental analysis, of an asset, business, or security

Value investing—a risk-averse investment approach designed to buy securities at a discount from underlying value

Value investment—undervalued security; a bargain

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-04 21:11 | Report Abuse

Window dressing—the practice of making a portfolio look good for quarterly reporting purposes

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-05 06:19 | Report Abuse

>>>>
Stock: [NETX]: NETX HOLDINGS BHD

2019-12-01 08:05 | Report Abuse

add on to A witness for my disastrous stock: muiind promoted by calvintaneng
30/11/2019 11:34 PM
i hated calvintaneng, if it was not him talking so sure about selling assets the only way for court settlement, i wouldnt have bought muiind, the wording and the analysis he used were all meant for the only way was to dispose assets of muiind.
Anyhow, slowly i put down hates, now really no more hate to calvintaneng, because i know more about investing and about sharing in this i3 forum, now i know it's my fault too.
Just, really reading comments from calvintaneng in here reminds me things that happened when muiind kept going down, telling this story just to remind you all here calvintaneng has the selling points but u bear the responsibility, the selling points are not 100% happen even the wording and analysis are meant for 100%, like what happened in muiind.

Stock
Stock: [NETX]: NETX HOLDINGS BHD

2019-11-30 23:34 | Report Abuse

A witness for my disastrous stock: muiind promoted by calvintaneng

it's about 2years ago, i was new in share trading, i read articles by calvin promoting muiind. At that time he's so sure that the losing divorce case of kkp will force him release value of muiind for court settlement for his plaintiff ex-wife. calvin promoted so much even when share price up so much at around 25-28c, i bought in at 26.5c, even price went down to 20c and below, he kept insisting price would go up 2x, 3x, 4x, or even more than 10 times when assets being sold.
eventually price kept going down till 16c, nothing happened. i lost a lot of money.
Now, i saw the comments here and calvin insisting on price would be going sky rocketed, reminding me the same thing like muiind that really haunts me until now.

https://klse.i3investor.com/web/cube/profile/newbie2014

>>>>>

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-05 06:22 | Report Abuse

https://klse.i3investor.com/web/blog/detail/www.eaglevisioninvest.com/2019-09-11-story-h1479234400-MAYBULK_5077_HUGE_CHANGE_OF_FORTUNE_EXPLAINED_STEP_BY_STEP_CLEARLY_Calv

calvintaneng

They have not sold any

That means that they have faith in the company

Unlike transmile, Megan media and seacera directors sold all Directors of Maybulk believe the Company prospects

2019-09-12 00:26

3iii

Why did they not sell? Well, you need to fathom behavioural finance to understand more.

OTOH keep focus on the insiders.

I made a lot of money on Maybulk before it went down. Sold the majority of my shares before its decline few years back. My last few shares were sold off at 2.20 each.

When a company's fundamentals deteriorated, SELL.

In earlier years, Maybulk was a very good company to own. Its core business was profitable. However, the company made a lot of money when it sold its hard assets (carriers) for huge profits due to shortage of capacity in the industry. These extraordinary income boosted its cash and Maybulk rewarded its shareholders with generous dividends. Accordingly, its share price too increased.

All its directors owned substantial shares in their own names prior to 2008. Post 2008, this sector went into a decline. World trade diminished. Too many new carriers were built during the good time. There were too much capacity. BDI dropped. By the time its earnings were decimated, all its directors had sold all their shares. Yes, do keep an eye on the insiders' activities regarding their buying and selling.

Maybulk is a hard asset company. It is capital intensive with high fixed costs and high capex. There are better companies to hold long term.

2019-09-12 07:44

>>>>

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-05 06:40 | Report Abuse

POS (4634) - JACKMA JV WITH POS MALAYSIA WLL LIFT UP POS INTO A BLUE CHIP & DRB TO RM5.00 (Calvin Tan)

Dear Fellow Investors in i3 Forum,

I am so happy & elated today. 2 Top News emanation from Pm Najib's latest visit to China will benefit these 2 stocks the most
ht tps:/ /ww w.sharetisfy.c om /2016/11/pos-4634-jackma-jv-with-pos-malaysia. ht ml

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-05 06:42 | Report Abuse

THE INVESTMENT APPROACH OF CALVIN TAN
BERJAYA CORPORATION - THE BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY OF MALAYSIA Author: calvintaneng | Publish date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016, 10:07 AM

calvintaneng
Publish date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021, 05:11 PM

https://klse.i3investor.com/web/blog/detail/www.eaglevisioninvest.com/2021-03-30-story-h1543072730-BERJAYA_CORPORATION_THE_BERKSHIRE_HATHAWAY_OF_MALAYSIA_Author_calvintan

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-05 06:49 | Report Abuse

>>>>
3) RULE NO. THREE

HE THAT IS LOW NEEDS FEAR NO FALL.

BJ CORP MEETS THIS THIRD RULE PERFECTLY AS ITS PRICE IS NOW TRADING AT 3 YEAR LOW. AND COMPANY SHARE BUY BACK WAS TRIGGERED AT 48 CENTS RECENTLY.

Please do your own due diligence. Buy/sell at your own discretion/

LATEST UPDATE ON MARCH 30 2021

PLEASE BE CAREFUL OF PUNTING SHORT TERM
>>>>

BJCorp was at its highest price of 45 sen per share (1.4.2021) when calvintan posted on 30.3.2021. Since then, it has declined to 30 sen per share.

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-05 07:02 | Report Abuse

WHY CALVIN TAN DOES NOT BUY GREATEC OR NEW IPO STOCKS (SEE PAST/PRESENT/FUTURE WEALTH ARTICLE REPOSTED

calvintaneng
Publish date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019, 10:43 PM

https://klse.i3investor.com/web/blog/detail/www.eaglevisioninvest.com/212495

June 2019 0.41 per share
Market Summary
>
Greatech Technology Bhd
4.69 MYR
+4.28 (1,043.90%) past 5 years
4 Jan, 5:00 pm MYT

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-05 07:07 | Report Abuse

HOW TO ESCAPE A FINANCIAL TSUNAMI by Calvin Tan

calvintaneng
Publish date: Tue, 08 Aug 2017, 01:47 PM

https://klse.i3investor.com/web/blog/detail/www.eaglevisioninvest.com/129506

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-05 07:23 | Report Abuse

https://klse.i3investor.com/web/blog/detail/www.eaglevisioninvest.com/130378
TOP 10 OVERSOLD STOCKS TO BUY NOW WHILE STILL VERY CHEAP! (Calvin Tan Research)

calvintaneng
Publish date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017, 02:49 AM
Dear Fellow Investors of i3 Forum,

Hero of NETX, calvintaneng

I recommend that you write a follow up article on the above post. Chun chun tank.
Your above recommendations should seriously send you to reexamine your stock selection ability. Are you honest to your goodself? That is very important indeed.

Sslee

4,734 posts

Posted by Sslee > 2023-01-05 07:32 | Report Abuse

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > Jan 5, 2023 6:56 AM | Report Abuse

https://klse.i3investor.com/web/blog/detail/Sslee_blog/2021-02-25-stor...

Article written by SSLee, praising calvintaneng. Not so kind words for others with "tunnel visions". :-)

Good morning 3iii,
Sorry if you feel that way when my intention is not praising calvintaneng but much more for readers to think and cess trolling and animosity, respect other people opinions and learn to agree to disagree.

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-05 07:55 | Report Abuse

While all love chasing Hot Air Balloon Stocks Calvin think these 10 Top Oversold Stocks are worth buying:

1) WTK (82 sen) Intrinsic Value Rm2.80. Target Price Rm1.60
CPO prices now moving up
a) Canada Softwood impacted by drought & fire. b)Tokyo Olympic 2020 will spur logs/plywood sale.
2) BJ CORP (32 Sen) Intrinsic Value Rm5.00. Target Price Rm2.50
Something is brewing again. So time to load up.
3) MRCB (Rm1.19) Intrinsic Value Rm5.00. Target price: Rm2.80
ECER's Rm55 Billions Job, High Speed Rail, Bandar Malaysia, sale of EDL Highway to EPF or other Surprises?
4) BONIA (55.5 sen) Intrinsic Value Rm1.50. Target Price : Rm1.20
Bonia stand to do well in JPO sales to China Tourists. This one stock has fallen to bargain level
5) MEDIA PRIMA (75 Sen) Intrinsic Value Rm2.00. Target Price: Rm1.50
Morgan Stanley is buying and buying & its rich Cash Hoard will continue to give good dividends.
6) CBIP (Rm1.98) Intrinsic Value Rm6.00. Target Price: Rm4.00
INSIDERS once again started buying.
7) MUI BHD (16.5 sen) Intrinsic Value Rm1.50. Taget Price is 80 Sen
Divorce settlement will unlock Assets Sale. Just take position while cheap!
8) PBA (Rm1.26) Intrinsic Value Rm3.00. Target Price: Rm2.00
And PBA with its increased water tariff in Penang will see better earnings. Thus higher dividends could be expected
9) OPCOM (57.5 Sen) Intrinsic Value Rm1.50. Target Price: Rm1.20
FOR A NICE POSSIBLE "SPECIAL DIVIDEND OF AT LEAST 20 SEN?"
10) EIG (Esthetic International) (90 Sen) Intrinsic Value Rm3.00. Target Price Rm2.00
Only a tiny weeny 5.1% Shares left in Free Float in the Open Market.

And their prices today are:

WTK 48 sen
BCorp 30 sen
MRCB 29 sen
Bonia RM 2.28
Media Prima 43 sen
CBIP RM 1.11
MUI 7.5 sen
PBA 76 sen
OPCOM 73 sen
EIG 31 sen

Reference:

calvintaneng

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-05 07:55 | Report Abuse

calvintaneng

While all love chasing Hot Air Balloon Stocks Calvin think these 10 Top Oversold Stocks are worth buying:

1) WTK (82 sen) Intrinsic Value Rm2.80. Target Price Rm1.60
2) BJ CORP (32 Sen) Intrinsic Value Rm5.00. Target Price Rm2.50
3) MRCB (Rm1.19) Intrinsic Value Rm5.00. Target price: Rm2.80
4) BONIA (55.5 sen) Intrinsic Value Rm1.50. Target Price : Rm1.20
5) MEDIA PRIMA (75 Sen) Intrinsic Value Rm2.00. Target Price: Rm1.50
6) CBIP (Rm1.98) Intrinsic Value Rm6.00. Target Price: Rm4.00
7) MUI BHD (16.5 sen) Intrinsic Value Rm1.50. Taget Price is 80 Sen
8) PBA (Rm1.26) Intrinsic Value Rm3.00. Target Price: Rm2.00
9) OPCOM (57.5 Sen) Intrinsic Value Rm1.50. Target Price: Rm1.20
10) EIG (Esthetic International) (90 Sen) Intrinsic Value Rm3.00. Target Price Rm2.00

And their prices today are:
WTK 48 sen
BCorp 30 sen
MRCB 29 sen
Bonia RM 2.28
Media Prima 43 sen
CBIP RM 1.11
MUI 7.5 sen
PBA 76 sen
OPCOM 73 sen
EIG 31 sen

Reference:

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-05 12:32 | Report Abuse

Company
Price (sen) 21.8.2017 4.1.2023 G/L
WTK 82 48 -41%
BJ Corp 32 30 -6%
MRCB 119 29 -76%
Bonia 55.5 228 311%
Media Prima 75 43 -43%
CBIP 198 111 -44%
MUI 16.5 7.5 -55%
PBA 126 76 -40%
OPCOM 57.5 73 27%
EIG 90 31 -66%

Reference:

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-05 12:48 | Report Abuse

From 21.8.2017 to 4.1.2023 (slightly more than 5.5 years)

Company Gain/Loss
WTK -41%
BJ Corp -6%
MRCB -76%
Bonia 311%
Media Prima -43%
CBIP -44%
MUI -55%
PBA -40%
OPCOM 27%
EIG -66%

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 17:26 | Report Abuse

Aiming for safety of capital with a reasonable return was the initial goal. With increasing knowledge and skill, perhaps, aiming for safety of capital and higher returns are achievable.
The returns of many investors are compromised by certain knowledge they possess and certain knowledge they do not have. Of course, you may not know what you don't know.
Investing is a life-long passion for some. Having a good investment philosphy and strategy is the key. There is constant learning and re-learning. Some knowledge needs to be unlearned.
As Warren Buffett said, "The chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken."

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 17:30 | Report Abuse

What defines safety for these investors? They are probably referring to not losing their existing capital. Of course, the safest place was the money market or the fixed deposits.

At which point in the bear market will they re-invest into stocks? During the slippery downturn, during the ups and downs, or when the market has turned up convincingly.

I suspect many such investors having 'rescued themselves' or 'cashed out' of their stocks will not put their cash back to work until the market has turned up convincingly. This means they would have lost out on the fantastic return of the market during its early upturn.

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 17:32 | Report Abuse

During the 2007-2009 severe bear market, there were many investors who cashed out of the market, at various stages of the unfolding bear.

Many were happy that their capitals were not at risk during the turbulent bear evolving early stages. They were waiting to re-enter the market when it is 'safe' again.

Just as they might not have cashed out at the 'right time', likewise, they might not have re-entered the market at the 'right time'.

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 17:34 | Report Abuse

Having a good knowledge of the risk/reward ratio offered by the market is helpful.

The safest time to invest is when the market is at its low.

This is also the time when the downside risk is small, though not completely eliminated, but the potential for upside gain is high.

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 17:42 | Report Abuse

DAY TRADERS

Day traders sit in front of computer monitors all day looking for short term movement in a stock. They then attempt to get in on the movement before it reverses. The real day trader does not hold a stock overnight due to the risk of some event or news item triggering the stock to reverse direction. It takes intense concentration to monitor the minute by minute movement of several stocks.

Day trading involves a great deal of risk because of the uncertainty of the market behavior over the short term. The slightest economic or political news can cause a stock to fluctuate wildly and result in unexpected losses.

There are a few people who make respectable gains day trading. The people who probably make the most are the self proclaimed “experts” who sell the books or operate the web sites that cater to the day trader. Because of the profits to be made from sales to people who want to get rich quick, they make it seem as attractive as possible.

The truth is that in the long run more people lose than gain by day trading. This does not translate into a very good investment.

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 17:44 | Report Abuse

Market Timing

One of the most well known market quotes is: “Buy Low – Sell High”. To be consistently successful in the stock market one needs strategy, discipline, knowledge, and tools. We need to understand our strategy and stick with it. This will prevent us from being distracted by emotion, panic, or greed.

One of the most prominent investing strategies used by “investment pros” is Market Timing. This is the attempt to predict future prices from past market performance. Forecasting stock prices has been a problem for as long as people have been trading stocks.

The time to buy or sell a stock is based on a number of economic indicators derived from company analysis, stock charts, and various complex mathematical and computer based algorithms.

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 17:45 | Report Abuse

Defensive Stocks

Defensive Stocks are issued by companies in industries that have demonstrated good performance in bad markets.

Food and utility companies are defensive stocks.

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 17:47 | Report Abuse

Penny Stocks

Penny Stocks are very low priced stocks and are very risky. They are usually issued by companies without a long term record of stability or profitability.

The appeal of penny stock is their low price. Though the odds are against it, if the company can get into a growth trend the share price can jump very rapidly. They are usually favored by the speculative investor.

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 17:48 | Report Abuse

Value Stocks

Sometimes a company’s earnings and growth potential indicate that it’s share price should be higher than it is currently trading at. These stock are said to be Value Stocks.

For the most part, the market and investors have ignored them.

The investor who buys a value stock hopes that the market will soon realize what a bargain it is and begin to buy. This would drive up the share price.

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 17:50 | Report Abuse

Income Stocks

Income Stocks are stock that normally pay higher than average dividends.

They are well established companies like utilities or telephone companies.

Income stocks are popular with the investor who wants to own the stock for a long time and collect the dividends and who is not so interested in a gain in share price.

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 17:51 | Report Abuse

Blue Chip Stocks

Large well established firms who have demonstrated good profitability and growth, dividend payout, and quality products and services are called blue chip stocks.

They are usually the leaders of their industry, have been around for a long time, and are considered to be among the safest investments.

Blue chip stocks are included in the Dow Jones Industrial Average, an index composed of thirty companies who are leaders in their industry groups.

They are very popular among individual and institutional investors.

Blue chip stocks attract investors who are interested in consistent dividends and growth as well as stability. They are rarely subject to the price volatility of other stocks and their share prices will normally be higher than other categories of stock.

The downside of blue chips is that due to their stability they won’t appreciate as rapidly as compared to smaller up-and-coming stocks.

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 18:12 | Report Abuse

Secondary market trends

Secondary trends are short-term changes in price direction against a primary trend.

They usually last between a few weeks and a few months.

Whether a trend is a secondary trend, or the beginning of a primary trend, can only be known once it has either ended or has exceeded the extent of a secondary trend.

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 18:13 | Report Abuse

MARKET CCORRECTION

A decline in prices during a primary trend bull market is called a market correction.

A correction is usually a decline of 10% to 20%, but some experts say it can be a third or more.

It differs from a bear market mostly in that it has a smaller magnitude and duration.

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 18:15 | Report Abuse

BEAR MARKET RALLY

An increase in prices during a primary trend bear market is called a bear market rally.
A bear market rally is sometimes defined as an increase of 10% to 20%.

Bear market rallies typically begin suddenly and are often short-lived.

Notable bear market rallies occurred in the Dow Jones index after the 1929 stock market crash leading down to the market bottom in 1932, and throughout the late 1960s and early 1970s. The Japanese Nikkei stock average has been typified by a number of bear market rallies since the late 1980s while experiencing an overall long-term downward trend.

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 18:18 | Report Abuse

ht tps://ww w.morningstar.com/articles/1105388/how-do-you-tell-a-bear-market-rally-in-stocks-from-a-new-bull-run

ht tps://ww w.forbes.com/sites/tomaspray/2022/03/27/what-you-need-to-know-about-bear-market-rallies/?sh=f850fe95da61

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 18:24 | Report Abuse

BEAR TRAP
(ALSO KNOWN AS BEAR MARKET RALLY, SUCKER'S RALLY OR DEAD CAT BOUNCE)

What’s a Bear Trap?

Beware the bear-market rally, also known as a bear trap, the sucker’s rally, and a dead cat bounce.

A phenomenon characterized by a swift and powerful rise in stocks, is typically triggered by short sellers covering bets and value investors snapping up the most beaten-down shares, assuming the worst is over only to see the market fall again.

Bear-market rallies tend to be narrowly based, short-lived, and end as swiftly as they started, often leaving investors worse off.

Bear-market rallies are wrapped in days and weeks, not months and quarters.

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 18:27 | Report Abuse

NEW BULL MARKET

A common rule of thumb: a new bull market is marked by a 20% gain from the low for a sustained period of time.

Ned Davis Research, an independent provider of global investment research based in Nokomis, Florida, uses the Dow Jones Industrial Average to track bulls and bears because there is more history associated with the index. They maintain that a
- 30% rise in stocks for more than 50 days, or
- a 13% gain for more than 155 days, heralds the start of a new bull market.

50 DAYS IS APPROXIMATELY 2 MONTHS
155 DAYS = 5 MONTHS

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 19:36 | Report Abuse

Relatively, investing in a bull market is easier as the chances of making losses are low compared to investing in a bear market.

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 19:37 | Report Abuse

There are a few strategies that investors may take when dealing with a bear market.

- The most conservative way adopted would be to move out from stocks and invest in fixed income securities until the market recovers.

- Some would turn to the defensive stocks, such as those in the industries that are less affected by economic downturn, for example, food or utilities industries.

- The third option that is viable for investors is buying as the market continues to drop further to capitalize on the price reduction. However, investors who adopt this option face the risk of having their cash drying up all before the market reaches the bottom.

What is most important for investors to take note of when making investing decisions is the need for homework; they need to do their homework properly, be it on the company itself or the overall economic situation. This is to ensure that their investment risk is minimised.

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 19:38 | Report Abuse

Though financial losses are linked with the appearance of the bear market, there are also those who gained from the bear market.

Are you strategized to gain from a correction or a bear market?

1929: Papa Bear market
1973-74: Momma Bear market, average stock was down 50%.
1982: Bear market
1987: Crash of 1987, Dow dropped over 1000 points in 4 months; 508 of those points in 1 day.
1990: Saddam Hussen bear market when investors worried about the Gulf War,
1997: Asian Financial Crisis Bear market
2001: Technology Bust Bear market
2008: Credit crunch Bear market

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 19:40 | Report Abuse

How do they affect my investments?

Generally, a bear market will cause the securities you already own to become undervalued.

The decline in their value may be sudden, or it may be prolonged over the course of time, but the end result is the same: What you already own is worth less [according to the market.]

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 19:42 | Report Abuse

If you invest with the intent to hold your investments for years down the road, a bear market is a great opportunity to buy.

[It always amazes me that the "experts" advocate selling after the market has fallen. The time to sell was before your stocks lost value. If they know everything about your money, why they didn't warn you the crash was coming in the first place?]

This leads to two fundamental truths:
1.) A bear market is only bad if you plan on selling your stock or need your money immediately.
2.) Falling stock prices and depressed markets are the friend of the long-term investor.

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 19:44 | Report Abuse

So what do I do with my money in a bear market?

The first thing you need to do is to look for companies and funds that are going to be fine ten or twenty years down the road.

If the market crashed tomorrow and caused Gillette's stock price to fall 30%, people are still going to buy razors. The basics of the business haven't changed.

This proves the third fundamental truth of the market:
3.) You must learn to separate the stock price from the underlying business. They have very little to do with each other over the short-term.

When you understand this, you will see falling stock markets like a clearance sale at your favorite furniture store... load up on it while you can, because before long, the prices will go back up to normal levels.

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 19:49 | Report Abuse

There has always been volatility in the stock market and there always will be. That’s guaranteed as long as humans are the ones making buy and sell decisions.

In the short-term, the reasons for market sell-offs feel like they matter a lot.
In the long-term, investors tend to forget the specific reasons stocks fell in the past.

In the short-term, market downturns feel like they will never end.
In the long-term, all corrections look like buying opportunities.

Regardless of how long this correction lasts, to win in the stock market over the long haul you must be willing to lose over the short-term." -Ben Carlson (emphasis added)

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 20:57 | Report Abuse

Successful investing is not magic, just keep things simple and maybe follow few investing and money rules of thumb and you’ll be fine in the long run.

Investment Mistakes in a Bear Market

1. Selling without any logical reasoning or attention to long-term goals. Often they all miss the fact that they are selling at the bottom to only repurchase them back at the top. Stop selling without a reason, only sell if the fundamentals have changed for the long term or the investment does not fit in your plan, not because everyone else is selling in the market.

2. The only worse thing one can do than selling out in a bear market is stop investing during the bear market. Would you stop shopping if retail prices dropped 30%? No. When you stop investing during a bear market you will miss out on many undervalued investment opportunities which can have great returns in the long run.

3. Some investors start to look at alternative investments, (e.g. gold) because they believe somehow these will perform better than the equity markets. Although alternative investments have their place in a portfolio the excessive focus during bear markets makes them dangerous.

4. Just stop wasting your time and money trying to time the markets. Investors are more likely to time the markets during a bear market, as there are often big swings, which are seen as opportunities by investors, this strategy will only hurt your portfolio.

I know bear markets hurt, but you trying to “improve” things will only make things worse.
What were your investment mistakes during this bear market? What have you learned from them? You know anyone who made these mistakes?

Posted by Integrity. Intelligent. Industrious. 3iii (iiinvestsmart)$€£¥ > 2023-01-06 21:22 | Report Abuse

The time to invest in the stock market is after it has suffered a large loss.

Post a Comment
Market Buzz