21 people like this.

143 comment(s). Last comment by timetokoon 2015-12-04 13:09

choop818

689 posts

Posted by choop818 > 2014-02-08 15:37 | Report Abuse

ICON8888, very refreshing insight to your investment techniques. We wish for more contributions from you. Wish you all the best in your future endeavours. Also, kudos to Mr Koon for his passion in the stock market and for sharing. For me, I'm happy because I'm finding many other ways to pack a bag.

optimus8

405 posts

Posted by optimus8 > 2014-02-08 15:38 |

Post removed.Why?

optimus8

405 posts

Posted by optimus8 > 2014-02-08 15:51 | Report Abuse

to be fair. this article by Mr KYY is the best articles on stock market written by a malaysian. that i have ever seen.

optimus8

405 posts

Posted by optimus8 > 2014-02-08 15:54 | Report Abuse

>>>best

Trait 7. Finally the most important, and rarest, trait of all is the ability to live through volatility without changing your investment thought process. This is almost impossible for most people to do; when the chips are down they have a terrible time not getting themselves to average down or to put any money into stocks at all when the market is going down. People do not like short- term pain even if it would result in better long-term results. Very few investors can handle the volatility required for high portfolio returns. They equate short-term volatility with risk. This is irrational; risk means that if you are wrong about a bet you make, you lose money. A swing up or down over a relatively short time period is not a loss and therefore not risk, unless you are prone to panicking at the bottom and locking in the loss. But most people just cannot see it that way; their brains would not let them. Their panic instinct steps in and shuts down the normal brain function.

optimus8

405 posts

Posted by optimus8 > 2014-02-08 15:57 | Report Abuse

>>> very best! 100% agreed!

For a long time, I have been trying to teach my wife, close relatives and friends to follow what I did but all of them could not emulate my performance or achievement. I think the reason is that to be a super investor your brain has to be wired differently when you are young. It is a nature built into your brain which cannot be nurtured. By the time you are an adult, either you have it or you don’t have it.

Duitbesar

915 posts

Posted by Duitbesar > 2014-02-08 16:15 | Report Abuse

Tahun lepas Dsonic saham paling menguntungkan. So tahun ni ada ke saham boleh beri 200 peratus macam Dsonic? Jtiasa tahun lepas tak hebat, tahun ni pun ala kadar jerr. So tak perlu iklan beribu kali. Abang tau ada satu saham ni boleh beri 200 peratus, bila dah pas baru abang hebohkan...hehehehehe. korang dapat bila gua buang air besar punya, gua belajar dari KYY. Kikikikikki

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2014-02-08 17:01 | Report Abuse

One thing I can say with almost 99% certainty is that jtiasa won't shine this year. Their trees not fully matured. Even if CPO reaches 3000, they can't be there to pick up the durian

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2014-02-08 17:02 | Report Abuse

In two to three years, maybe can do well.

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2014-02-08 17:10 | Report Abuse

Alphabeta I have similar experience with ytl power. I thought the stock can hold forever to enjoy dividend income. But their venture into Jordan completely changed the calculus. Stock investment is a very unpredictable thing (sigh)

lohman

205 posts

Posted by lohman > 2014-02-08 18:45 | Report Abuse

Icon, Nothing is forever. That's why the investment game can be so adrenalin charged, almost like gambling in certain ways but with better odds. Just when you think it's a no brainer to put your money in to enjoy an assured rate of return, something changes the equation. As for JT, I view it as a 3 year bet supported by a super investor's hunch. That's good enough for a small wager at this juncture. As for additional future bets, we'll wait and see.

choop818

689 posts

Posted by choop818 > 2014-02-09 00:04 | Report Abuse

Icon, Lohman, well said. Situations keep on changing. It can be boardroom decisions, the weather, economic climate, politics. The super investor, digests them all and often than not makes the right decision. As for JT the jury is supposed to be out three years from now. But I'm sure Mr Koon will react to safeguard his sizeable investments before the three years are up if they are at risk. Shouldn't we too?

vinext

117 posts

Posted by vinext > 2014-02-09 02:47 | Report Abuse

M vince,a value investors who has been coincidentally advocating palm oil & picked kulim, TSH, SoP as a good buy since last 1decade.
Mr KOON has invited me to meet him on feb12 with other few ppl. I m coming frm KL after i return from hometown on feb11. U may reach me at
vinext@gmail.com, another guy plan2 drive frm KL, we r seeking car pool,stil hv 3more seats.Pls send ur hp,email, fb add/link, wat time,date, u plan to take off,wat time to return to kl

vinext

117 posts

Posted by vinext > 2014-02-09 02:48 | Report Abuse

icon888 wat did YTLp venture into in JORDAN? how has that change

vinext

117 posts

Posted by vinext > 2014-02-09 02:52 | Report Abuse

GARK, Haki which co u work for? Those co r not cheap. JTIASA is an unconventional bet. JT doesnt hv all the pretty ratio,but the prospective profit growth is great.

vinext

117 posts

Posted by vinext > 2014-02-09 02:52 | Report Abuse

M vince,a value investors who has been coincidentally advocating palm oil & picked kulim, TSH, SoP as a good buy since last 1decade.
Mr KOON has invited me to meet him on feb12 with other few ppl. I m coming frm KL after i return from hometown on feb11. U may reach me at
vinext@gmail.com, another guy plan2 drive frm KL, we r seeking car pool,stil hv 3more seats.Pls send ur hp,email, fb add/link, wat time,date, u plan to take off,wat time to return to kl

Icon8888

18,658 posts

Posted by Icon8888 > 2014-02-09 09:26 | Report Abuse

Vinext please bring optimus7 with you

Seek

443 posts

Posted by Seek > 2014-02-09 12:20 | Report Abuse

Thanks Lohman. What about 1993/4 big bull n big crash? Did you go tru that too? Big bucks n huge losses. How to spot or avoid such market crashes?

lohman

205 posts

Posted by lohman > 2014-02-10 10:06 | Report Abuse

@Seek, The 1993 mother-of-all bull runs in Malaysia was when I got involved in stock investments. It was a highly speculative environment where the initial frontrunners and the brave made serious money, and kept a large part of it if they exercised prudent money management. But those were heady days, the easy money making gets to you; and greed keeps fear at bay until the crash. I still recall Daim's headline statement in Jan '94 that he was out of the market which many pinpoint for precipitating the crash. As for avoiding such crashes, you really can't if you are always invested in the market but if you adopt value investing strategies and prudent money management, you will be spared the worst effects. A value stock will rebound in time, not so the speculative. Just where is Aokam, Idris, Repco and such speculative darlings now?

smalltimer

1,501 posts

Posted by smalltimer > 2014-02-10 14:42 | Report Abuse

did we have a new Finance Minister in 1993?

sim2468

38 posts

Posted by sim2468 > 2014-02-12 02:52 | Report Abuse

I hope so much I have the pleasure to meet Mr. Koon this coming gathering! But I was late to get the news. Missing a chance to hear Mr. Koon's talk is like chosen A worst counter! Nasib!

Christine Goh

3,117 posts

Posted by Christine Goh > 2014-02-16 01:32 | Report Abuse

Dear, Koon Yew Yin

I will share my view hope it won't offend anybody , hope you can accept my sincere view on what normal investor experience.

Trait1.

This particular trait means to buy in when there are intense difficulties, unstable conditions either political, social and abrupt change in economic conditions. In order to do this either they are extremely Rich, Hedge funds, Institution Investors, and Fortune teller (dispose all their holdings because they can predict the timing ) When this happens it is considered a CRISiS reaches the highest point and the average investors will be in deep trouble with interest rates hikes, Loan recalled, OD recalled, Margin call , property value diving down , emotional breakdown and all sort of traumatic changes to all average investors. It may take a while for average investors to wheather the storm and when the opportunities flashes just in front of the average investors eye, do you think the have the gut and capability to buy stocks again ? Even it is rock bottom dirtcheap, they will save their houses, businesses and family as their main priority.

At this juncture, only those people I mentioned above will have the upperhand and financial capacities to stomach the stock market crash and rob the average investors hard earn money, because the extremely rich are the one directly or indirectly manipulate the stock market. They are the biggest speculators.
There are not right or wrong when it comes to this situation, but not the average investors wants to fall behind their peers but they have no other alternatives to fight againts the said Extremely Rich people .

Christine Goh

3,117 posts

Posted by Christine Goh > 2014-02-16 01:34 | Report Abuse

Trait2.
This trait is specifically refer to the Great Investors. To me there are no Great Investor, there are only Wise Investor, the Great investor will be replace to " Super Rich Entrepreneur " and belongs to trait.7. This I will post later or maybe not . Yes ,Trader. We are a Trader. A Trader is to buy and sell stocks, , currency and goods to be traded for a profit. Now this trait we emphasise on stocks. Then again it mentioned that with obsession, passion and knowledge of Technical Tools and FA knowledge traders can neutralise risk? Stock market risk? It Means we can able to avoid risks rather than take calculated risk ? Belief it can? Confident we ca do it? Then it's really confusing according to the above trait no 2.

To my observations, basic trader (punters and speculative traders) and tecnical traders (wiser investor) and financial analysis traders (longer term holders) majorities (90%) of them not able to accurately predict the stock markets and their portfolio of stocks. " Only 10% make it." Note:I DID NOT MAKE IT!
For those who make it congratulations.

I believe there are not more than 10% traders who can accurately read and predict the stocks movements The only thing traders can do is to do their own research and from there they understand the surfaces of each company, their future potential and planning, news that public knows. other than that it's all considered as insider news, too bad.
But then why so many people failed their trading plan and their hopes to make a living, and some traders keep on changing the target prices from time to time and finally their target prices are mostly out off sight. And some vanish forever and stuck forever. The reason maybe, yes maybe :

Excessive speculation, punting and overly invested , expert tips, excessive greed etc.
Sudden reversal of unforeseen external crisis.
Downgrading of company's sectors instabilities.
Sudden change in company planing and financial loses incurred.
Management integrity is breached, internal conflicts and accounting fraud.
Sudden trend changes in certain industry.
Abrupt change in local economic climate and polical instability.
And a million of unforeseen circumstances.

In this case no matter how wise you are, how knowledgeable we are, how passionate we are, how confident we are ,how positive we are, we will loose, a few will loose lesser and a lot will totally wipe out.

The only way to escape from this as traders:

1.Patience and calm. there are plenty of time and stocks to choose, give them a chance, dont underestimate them.nothing is impossible.
2.Commonsense, we are not using our neighbours money. Family first.
3.Do not predict and gamble excessively. Most of the time it doesnt work instantly. Speculative stock kills
4.Do not wake up and first thing you think is stocks, only balace life and healthy mind and body can work out the best results. Because we are not super investor. We have to grow step by step positively. 5.Know the value of your money more rather than stocks value. Use it to exchange for a lesser value thing
6.Must fall in LOVE with your stock, if you dont , WHY buy it.?
7.Dont over confidence on ourselves ,be humble but brave, we are not invincible.We maybe wrong many times and yet some still do not even notice it. and worst some didnt want to admit it.
8.Must know when your stock is lying and not honest to you, but they won't tell you, so intuition is important. By the time the chart knows it its too late to respond already.
9. Intuition, Gut Analysis and Spot Analysis, that is very important to add as extra tools to trade more efficiently.
10.Lastly, as a trader we are all the same status, no one is greater than anyone, with the same kind of opportunities to buy and sell, the same goal to make a living, the market is always kind to those who are kind to themself. Everyone have weaknesses, its very normal. If we have more , we help those who have less and so on.

Never have ill feeling toward ourselves, those who have this attitude will self destruct themself eventually.

Conclusion.: Do not overly expose or promote the stocks we like . We can hint and share for the benefits of everyone. Up to individual to decide.
Too overly promote a stock will eventually create a lot of other unwanted issues and arguments.

For those are new like me I am lucky I have a chace to know some friends here,, I always like to share and listen to advises because its free.
THE ABOVE POSTING IS THE LESSON I LEARN FROM MY KAKIS THAT WILLING TO SHARE WITH ME

Christine Goh

3,117 posts

Posted by Christine Goh > 2014-02-16 01:35 | Report Abuse

Trait3.

I have already read this trait numerous time but it still doesn't make sense to me.All trader and small investor, trade base on their own meris. It can be Tecnicals analysis, Financial analysis,general information and etc. Those traders buy shares and sell to another investor/trader for a profits when the shares reached their target price. The following trader buy base on their own reason to buys and resell to another. By this way it created liquidity and the chain continues. Every investor/trader have their own reason and intention. There are no DUMB here, all base on each individual trader's knowledge and experience. It is healthy and nothing wrong here. Some win and someone lose. Bottom line is the figures, timing, knowledge will dictate the difference. Then again I see the word MISTAKES too. Is there any mistakes you can see there? Of course no. Because nobody has the Ball. No matter how good you are, there will be never a perfect trade ,the best price and the best timing. So who are the DUMB and where are the MISTAKES?

Indeed this trait is interconnected with trait4.and 5

Trait4.

Yes Commonsense, but then, who has more and who has none? Any body dare to admit they have no brain and commonsense? Nobody because each of us have it, but being corrupted by a lots of factors and influences.
1. Trader are influence by EXPERTS. Some have interest in certain stocks and some with no interest in stock markets, but hired by those who have very large positions, " The Financial Institutions. "
Because of their involvement the Stock +Market become active and begining to flourish and here comes the exiting part. Volatility and. Manipulation. They have the upperhand manipulation.

1.Crowds manipulation. Market and data manipulation, media and psychology manipulation.
2. Volatility manipulations created a greater chance of shortfall and wider swing of stock prices.
Hence there are opportunities and also downfall created from these Big Money here. Trader become vulnerable to such circumstances and the wise will survive and majority will fall. There are no way to avoid this. Even the most wonderful trader cannot avoid these squeezing, , not to mention those who are still new to the abovementioned manipulation.
Majorities will be casualties if not being wipe out.

How to avoid this ? I afraid we have to find the answers ourselves. Because all of us have different objective, risk tolerance level and cash flow.
If we can take control of ourselves, unshaken minded, understand the importance of cash flow, follow the rules, forget our ego, knows the value of money and know what we are doing, who we are facing, know the company we are investing, then we might have a slightly higher chances or survival.
Conclusion is there are no DUMB trader here, if we willing to face them outright and passionate about our money and willing to face the challenges , We may be able to make it
To those who invest base on pure speculation, luck, lack of knowledge, and act of carelessness and reckless trading, wish them good luck.
Finally, there will free lunch available for those who knows what is " STOCK+MARKET "

And there are also expensive lunch available if we trust the wrong person and wrong company.

AyamTua

13,598 posts

Posted by AyamTua > 2014-02-16 01:40 | Report Abuse

Christine Goh: I love you! i mean your analysis :-))) hahaa

Posted by camrybenz88 > 2014-02-16 01:40 |

Post removed.Why?

Christine Goh

3,117 posts

Posted by Christine Goh > 2014-02-16 01:43 | Report Abuse

Ability to think clearly, yes of course, I believe here you don't understand we as a investor and a Trader mindset. Each Investor and Trader has their critera beforehand to go for their Stock pick through stringent quality check such as company profile, management trustworthiness, accounting integrity, risk assessment.sector coverage, future profit, future plans, company transparencies, and most importantly WHO are running the Company. Their choice will determine whether they are well rewarded or otherwise. The Companies that lack of any of the above will be shunned by a the investor no matter how many peoples shouting how good it is. Even a good Company may not generate a good return if the Management do not have the passion and good future objectives to maximise their potential. Some Companies even betray their Investor by irresponsible Management that have false intention.

1 . Again a listed Company is mentioned here, so I choose to ignore first and go to Warren Buffet. Nobody can emulate Him and please dont copy his sayings and post. We know him well and his experiences and writing can be used as research and motivation to become wiser. And it is not suitable for everyone. Because His Status, mindset, financial strength, strategy is unmatched to all .He is a Legend don't compare anyone with Him.

2. Malaysia will never have a Company mentioned above. Never. Every one knowsthat most of our WISES and RICHES has left. Because of our Political influences and Business environment hereyou will be dreaming if you hope there will be one soon for another 30 years. It's not because we don't have Wise and Smart people, but it is very rare . A passionate and far sighted business man indeed very rare now. To find the right Company that can reward their shareholders are harder than before.

3. A good Company will focus on their business and well rewarded their Investor. It is more important to look for a good Company that do not betray their Investor,. It's nothing that the Investor can do if their chosen Company did not perform. Those Smart Investor you are mentioning is based on your own judgement. There are a lot more Smarterthan you that you have overlooked. A Smart investor who does not invest in your picking, doesn't mean they are stupid. They just didn't share the same wavelength with you, that's it.

Trait7.
The most important and rarest as you mentioned. This is the most difficult trait to answer. Because only those who has gone into a critical situation will understand the pain and suffering that you never understand. It is like a Trader with one bullet left have to find a reason either to find a shelter when Crisis struck or to keep fighting. I think you may forgotten one Financial institutions collapsed because of a single Trade bursted the Organisation? Hundreds of Big and small businesses shut down? Hundreds of Banks need their Government bailout. Who are we to compare to them. Hope the single bullet win win the battle.? Do you think we should take the risk to show thst we are a Smart investor? I have to leave this for the brave and have gone through the hardship to answer.

Only the Manipulator will win this Battle. They are the cause of a crisis. They have the upper hand. We have no chance at all. Money is not every thing. They have a lot more to concern. Those people who dare to put their money above anything is selfish. For those who cares more about their families is doing nothing wrong. Their brain and attitude is just a basic instinct, there are no right or wrong here in this situation.I think you will be able to differentiate between Smart and Stupid here. Hope in the next articles you May not include the stocks you mentioned above. Let them decide themselves. Those who make their right choice will enjoy the sweetness, and for those who did not we hope they learned their lessons. Let them have a chance to decide and their rights to pick their own stocks without any influences. I think a good Company will have their Investors Relations Manager to promote the Company. Definitely not by their shareholders.

Wish the next article you post will be "THE MOST UNSUCCESSFUL VENTURES I HAD MADE ". That may help more people to learn from you, snd from your mistakes, isn't it is better? Or you never made any.

Dear Mr.koon yew yin, sorry if my writing is offending you.But because we all majority,want to learn more.But to act like what you mentioned,I believe we will have to be a least a multimillionaire ,to be successful like you.But unfortunately majorities of us, Are still learning to be more wiser trader.

Thats my personal view,as a investor.

Thanks and kind regards. :)

AyamTua

13,598 posts

Posted by AyamTua > 2014-02-16 01:48 | Report Abuse

"2. Malaysia will never have a Company mentioned above. Never. Every one knowsthat most of our WISES and RICHES has left. Because of our Political influences and Business environment hereyou will be dreaming if you hope there will be one soon for another 30 years. It's not because we don't have Wise and Smart people, but it is very rare . A passionate and far sighted business man indeed very rare now. To find the right Company that can reward their shareholders are harder than before. " Christine Goh

----

niceeee!!

Posted by camrybenz88 > 2014-02-16 02:12 |

Post removed.Why?

Posted by Koon Yew Yin > 2014-02-16 02:16 | Report Abuse

Christine Goh, I have read more than 500 commentaries, I must congratulate you for writing the best one. I would like to meet you and I hope you can attend my talk at 11am Sunday at Ipoh St John Ambulance Hall.

Aaron, one of the readers has collected some of my recent articles and put up a website for me free of charge. It is known as "koonyewyin.com". Readers who wish to read more of my writings can google this website or google my name, you will also see a large collection of articles and YouTube video.

I have also published a book called MALAYSIA: Road Map for Achieving Vision 2020 which was launched by Tengku Rezaleigh Hamzah who had also written the Foreword. The book was endorsed by Dato Ambiga Sreenevasan, Professor Glen Arnold, DR Azly Rahman and Profeesor James Chin.

Happy reading

Posted by sense maker > 2014-02-16 12:39 | Report Abuse

Mr Koon, I just read this article which is the best of all you have written before. It is insightful, scuccinct and most importantly too true. I cannot agree more with this article as it must have come from half a century of successful investing wisdom, business acumen and relentless pursuit of greater financial success.

On the other hand, I have to say that Christine Goh's grumpy reply or rebuttal reveals that she is almost certainly a mediocre investor, not really able to discern the real spirit and meaning implicit in each of the traits.

The only concern with JT is its short-term borrowings. I thinnk JT likely gets a loan rescheduling from its lenders soon, hopefully, without having to pay too much additional margin to the banks. This is better than making a cash call to its shareholders.

I do not own any JT but may consider buying in future.

Thanks again for sharing with us.

atuck

12 posts

Posted by atuck > 2014-02-16 12:54 | Report Abuse

Yesterday the star quotes the news that Wilmar (currently the largest buyer abt 45%) would stop buying Sarawak CPO from 2015 onwards. If this turn to be real, does that means that jaya tiasa would suffer from this campaign??

lching

1,402 posts

Posted by lching > 2014-02-16 13:19 | Report Abuse

fully agreed with this quote: But to act like what you (Mr. Koon) mentioned,I believe we will have to be a least a multimillionaire ,to be successful like you.But unfortunately majorities of us, Are still learning to be more wiser trader.

Christine Goh

3,117 posts

Posted by Christine Goh > 2014-02-16 21:21 | Report Abuse

Dear Uncle Koon, My sincere apologies for not being able to make it to your special session. But I hope you had a wonderful time addressing your friends and investors on how to become good investors. I am from penang and have to run my business even on weekends.
Thanks for your kindness in giving me an opportunity to join your talks. Anyway there is always another good time to meet. Take care and wish you all the best.

Christine Goh. :)

Posted by Koon Yew Yin > 2014-02-16 23:40 | Report Abuse

Christine, what business are you doing? What kind of business that requires your attention even on week ends? You seem to know so much about share investment, why don't you stop doing business and invest in shares?

In share investment you are not required to work on week ends, you will not have bad debts, you will have no management and tax problem problem. Moreover, you do not need to deal with people especially the hard nuts.

What is the use of being an armchair critic?

stkoay

5,861 posts

Posted by stkoay > 2014-02-17 01:05 | Report Abuse

I have been investing since 1990. Managed to make some profit during 1993 super bull run. Reason for making only a little then was because I was new to investing and still young. Since then I have been buying and holding shares.
I escaped from heavy paper loss during 1998 because my holding was light. I saw opportunity when the KLCI dropped to about 260 points, increased my holding and managed to make some good money during the 1999 recovery especially the dot com era.
After that, the paper profit and loss was up and down. In between, take some profit and cut some loss. The real big profit came last year. I accumulated Puncak Niaga from 1.50 to 1.08, averaging 1.28. I bet against the pre GE cautions sentiment.
To me, investing is a little bit of everything mentioned by Mr.Koon plus some luck and bravery.
Learn a lot from all the comments. thanks.

Ayoyo

379 posts

Posted by Ayoyo > 2014-02-17 01:50 | Report Abuse

Let me be brutally honest. The fact that Christine admitted she's not the 10% who's trading or investing profitably and the fact that so many of you agreed with her comments clearly shows one thing.... You have not found your edge!

Trading profitably consistently is not about being one up in your battles against Mr Market or the syndicates, but the triumph in the war between yourselves .

When you realize that ultimately, whether you are conditioned to be a winner is a culmination of how to get your emotions in check when the stock drops or rises, your psychological fortitude to ride your profits and withstand /cut your losses, and the mental strength of of undying self belief (not stubbornness) in your convictions.

Only when you find your edge can one triumph over yourself. People like warren buffet have an edge (he buys only businesses he understands below intrinsic value), people like Mr Koon has an uncanny ability to smell out good value in his own way and stay to his convictions.

As someone who's been trading since 18 years old (now 42), I've lost my pants, been thru a few crises, traded anything that moves, I am now trading profitably for a living, I have to say that I totally agree with all the points that Mr Koon has so kind to list down.

When one has found your own edge, you will be at peace with your trades, look forward to the next opening bell, confidence of your convictions because you know your stock is acting 'correctly' and most importantly, triumph over your biggest enemy, your self

I am a momentum trader, I don't command the lines that Mr Koon does, I don't trade for the multi bagger winners, I can't buy the lowest nor sell at the highest price, yet I'm not sorry about it because that's not my edge. Find yours, for when you finally win the battle over yourself, you will win the war at the markets.

Frank Soweto

3,425 posts

Posted by Frank Soweto > 2014-02-17 02:29 | Report Abuse

Ayoyo - you're brutally honest, nice sharing and good that you've found your edge hopefully NOT with the help of TheEdge LOL
I'm still looking for mine but one of the things that might be able to help me is to sell when one is bullish and buy when all are bearish - what u think :)

Ayoyo

379 posts

Posted by Ayoyo > 2014-02-17 08:20 | Report Abuse

@frank, if one thinks the edge is the newspaper, one is then dangerously close to falling off the edge instead. You should Keep to your Focus (Malaysia) instead. :) -(loved their potshot at The Edge)

When I have urge to talk cock, I'll pen in a word or two but heres a start - don't trade any breakout nor anything that moves. William o Neil only does cup and handles, jesse Livermore only watches price and volume, etc. you could be using Joey yap's flying stars fengshui methods. As long as it works for you

Up_down

4,280 posts

Posted by Up_down > 2014-02-17 11:55 | Report Abuse

My personal view. Knowledge and experience alone are not the main factors to determine whether an investor can be a winner or loser in the market. More crucial is the ability to control our Fear and Greed in order to be successful in investing.

Alphabeta

235 posts

Posted by Alphabeta > 2014-02-17 14:50 | Report Abuse

Dear Up_down you have said the magic word. How to control your emotion?

If the business you are investing in is creating value to shareholders. Then you will not panic when market moved adversely against you. You can hold or buy more to average down as the company will not become PN17.

One of the most challenging tasks for management of any business is capital allocations (shareholders’ equities + interest bearing loans). If fund is channeled to productive assets which the company is confident to generate return over and above the weighted average cost of capital (WACC). Then the business is adding value to shareholders, called economic value added (EVA).

For example, if a total capital deployed in a business is RM 1,000 in which RM 600 is equity and RM 400 is loan. The debt to equity structure is 40:60, if the cost of debts is 5% and the cost of equity is 10% (expected return of capital in that industry).

WACC = 5% x 40% + 10% x 60% = 2% + 6% = 8%

If the Return of total capital [PATAMI/(Equity + Loans)] is more than 8%, then the management is adding value by generating a return over and above of the WACC, the higher the EVA the greater the safety margin.

The next question is whether the company is able and intent to pay regular dividends to reward shareholders. The answer to this is Free Cash Flow (FCF) position of the company (Net operating cash flow minus Capex). If a company has negative FCF, it will either; a> Raise more funds from shareholders, or
b> Borrow from commercial banks, or c> Divest non-core assets to plug this gap.

Dividend payment will be slim if FCF is negative year after year due to continuous stream of capex and the investments have long gestation period before profit & cash flow can roll in.

I would prefer a more balance approach in term of capital allocations. One “Should not bite more than you can chew”. If stretch too thin without reserve, then any adverse market conditions will hit the company in all directions; drop in price & volume, cost push, bad collection etc. When the time come, it will be tough to restructure to meet your obligations. Opportunists will come and press your assets prices, lender will asked for more collateral to back up the loans. Then finally, the shareholders will be required to take hair-cut or take total loss when the company went into liquidation.

Total shareholder return (TSR) involved regular dividend payment plus capital gain over the holding period which can only realize if you sell. You need to monitor the news and quarterly performance to gauge whether it is still worthwhile to hold. In view of this, it is better not hold more than 10 stocks and focus on industries you are familiar with, especially investment is not your full time job.

You need to breakdown the return on shareholders’ equity into three components.

ROE = PATAMI/Revenue x Revenue/Net Assets x Net Assets/Equity
(Net assets = Non-current assets + Current Assets – Borrowings)
For example:
Co A ROE = 10% x 1.00 x 1.2 = 12%
Co B ROE = 20% x 0.50 x 1.2 = 12%

Both company gave same ROE, the only difference is Co A assets are more productive and able generate revenue to turn around once every year whereas its profit margin is half that of B. Both companies have the same level of ratio in term of using equity funding its net assets.

If Co A is able to improve its use of trade credit instead of relying on loans without affecting its input cost adversely, then its profit margin will be better due to lesser interest charge from commercial banks.

Co B will need to evaluate whether its portfolio of assets that generating sub-par growth in term of revenue and profit. One example is holding too much cash in FD and not paying out enough dividends if there is no opportunity to invest. Another possibility is deteriorating debtors or increasing inventories or both.

If you benchmark the target against other similar top industry players, you will know its strength and weaknesses.

The computation of Intrinsic Value of stock depends on the Projected Share Price which depends on sustainable earning growth rate [ROEx(1-Div Payout)] x current EPS x perspective P/E. Adding this to dividend payout policy x EPS will yield total shareholder return. By discounting the future TSR with your expected return will give the entry price.

Quantitative analysis does matter but attention to the qualitative aspect of the business is vital as well. Continuous reading on relevant news and figuring out the potential impact of such news on the profitability and cash flow on the businesses are critical.

That's my personal experience which have served me quite well. Always remember - whether it is for trading or longer term hold, there is no free lunch, you need to work for it.

Up_down

4,280 posts

Posted by Up_down > 2014-02-17 15:54 | Report Abuse

Everyone has different ways to control their emotions in trading/investing. It depends on the individual investor ability or preference to defend the external pressure during the high volatility of share price.

Emotion can be easily ignored through:
- not to watch share price movement
- buying good fundamental companies on regular basis ie quarterly

Personally, I am trying to control my emotion through
- setting criteria in managing or picking a stock
- comfortable portfolio allocation
- exploiting a small margin facilities
- building a strong believe by studying fundamental of companies & making comparison
- Focus in company's bottom line and debt level
- identify my ultimate motive ( play zero sum game or investing )
- pressure reduction through profit taking or loss cutting

Christine Goh

3,117 posts

Posted by Christine Goh > 2014-02-17 17:03 | Report Abuse

I am running my own business which is doing fine  although I need to work on week-ends.  My comments do not necessarily reflect that I can be a successful trader. I am happy with the current situation, using my time to expand my business. However  I do not agree with Uncle Koon remarks about being an “Armchair Critic " I believe all corporations started from scratch based on their ambitions and  visions, to make their  dreams become reality. They aim to reap positive results from their businesses. Some will continue to build up their empire and keep on chasing their ultimate dreams and some will give up. For those who continue to pursue their passion and committed to their goals, they will be greatly rewarded. And with their hard work and never say die attitude, their companies will eventually get listed in the stock exchange. Then my point here is : These are the real " SUPER INVESTORS " . These are the best of all investors. They have to WORK for it! Their hard work bear fruits. We can't have ignore the FACT that every stock in the world is born from these great businessman who successfully build up their empires from working out their plans for years with perfect execution and not from just trading and punting. Even Uncle Koon is investing in the stocks that are created by these people I mentioned above. Now you are a trader. You buy and sell to make profits. The stock owners are the Super Investors. They are more superior to you,  a fact that you have to put up with even in your dreams. They are the one will dictate your fate. If they fail and do not work hard on their plans, even a slight wrong move will cause great losses in your trade. Probably you will never recover your money. You will be dreaming again if  because you didn't believe that all of us will never be successful without choosing the right people and the company. I will stick to my words that you do not fully understand my comments. That’s why as  I have mentioned, we are all traders and not Super Investors. Therefore nobody is a Super investor, unless you are the one who created the Stocks (company). If they failed, the trader will lose, no matter who you are! For me I don't dream, I don't hope, I never worry, Because I invest in  the company that employs people who work hard , are passionate , honest, transparent, and with unquestionable integrity. I believe one of your Stocks that you mentioned does not have this criteria. Perhaps you would like to agree with me  that when a company does not perform, aswitch to others (thousands of them) which are still undervalued. We will never be able to change the Super Investors' character and mindset, they will never tell the truth. You can only see and trust the results from time to time. Only a wise trader will smell it.

My dear all i3 forum members, this my own opinion and not meant to offend or ridicule anyone. It is from my own experience and I am still learning from all my corporate friends, I aspire to be a wiser trader soon. Thank you. 

Happy investing :) 

Posted by Koon Yew Yin > Feb 16, 2014 11:40 PM | Report Abuse

Christine, what business are you doing? What kind of business that requires your attention even on week ends? You seem to know so much about share investment, why don't you stop doing business and invest in shares?

In share investment you are not required to work on week ends, you will not have bad debts, you will have no management and tax problem problem. Moreover, you do not need to deal with people especially the hard nuts.

Saturn

2,148 posts

Posted by Saturn > 2014-02-17 17:07 | Report Abuse

Hahahaha....choi San yeh see you!!.....you have chin toh

Christine Goh

3,117 posts

Posted by Christine Goh > 2014-02-17 18:54 | Report Abuse

Dear Ayoyo, thank you.

You are brutally honest person too. You saw I said that I have not perfected my trading methods yet. You read my comment and you can understand what I write. Yes , once you found the right stocks you will be in total control and will continue to enjoy their successful venture without any worries. Because the real successful company will never fail to deliver even in toughest time. They never give excuses and they always make sure they reward their Investor. They never make their investor doubt about their capabilities. They will always properly inform and share about their next expansions plan and always protect their investors interest. That's my real experience with my long term investment company , GHL Systems Bhd. They haven't fail me till today and I believe they will never.

Thank you. :)

optimus7

571 posts

Posted by optimus7 > 2014-02-17 22:48 | Report Abuse

Posted by haikeyila > Feb 7, 2014 10:15 AM | Report Abuse

the promoter would know about IJM since he co-founded the company. Yet, i dont care if he's god, something is really fishy with his recommendations. Calling a counter with a PE ratio of 86x 'the most undervalued counter' is just ludicrous.

wow! talent. talent. i want to meet u. dont be an armchair critic.

optimus7

571 posts

Posted by optimus7 > 2014-02-17 22:54 | Report Abuse

Haikeyila, what business are you doing? What kind of business that requires your attention even on week ends? You seem to know so much about share investment, why don't you stop doing business and invest in shares?

Haikeyila, I have read more than 500 commentaries, I must congratulate you for writing the best one. I would like to meet you.

PureBULL .

2,412 posts

Posted by PureBULL . > 2014-02-18 00:19 | Report Abuse

We r all in the same boat, the 2nd mkt.
Would u ever consider learning from the very best, the top 10 greatest gurus of the entire world here ? :
http://purebull-bursatrader.blogspot.ca/2012/12/must-read-these-gurus-books-richard.html

Get hold of these books. Read them carefully n understand the value of price action. I promise u will turn stock mkt pro. in the simplest way.

The Hedgees r in full control of the world mkt. They r the ones who set the investment clock in motion to their advantage. Their inspiration comes from :

G SOROS - "Economic history is a never-ending series of
episodes based on falsehood and lies, not truths.
It represents the path to big money.
The object is to recognize the trend whose premise is false,
ride that trend, and step off before it is discredited"

Jim Rogers - "Figure out the money and you’ll figure out what’s going on."

I found their 1 all-important simplest secret, i.e.

BUY AT last purebear of ALL TIME HIGH or highs of growing stocks.

Time for all of us to make big money....
Be sensitive to all things RIGHT.
Aim accurately, if Right, just sit on it.
No rocket science is required.

Besides Uncle Koon, many of u like Christine Goh n more can write very well n clear.

Ricky Kiat

1,356 posts

Posted by Ricky Kiat > 2014-02-18 12:04 | Report Abuse

Christine Goh & i3 member , maybe some of u are not comfort with mr koon style of teaching, he is showing his way of investment especially his mindset that how he make big money in stock market. If u can master it, u must be a millionaire & financial freedom as many people dreamed. Maybe he is a little bit boastful :) , but be frankly, I will be more boastful if i have profit track record like him. Beside that, have u been found another multi millionaire that are willing spending a lot of time sharing with us ? teaching us how to win in stock market ? yes, there are many GURU(maybe not millionaire) outside there willing teach u, but that cost u few thousand per course. if u continue losing money in stock , it will be most expensive course u attend.

don't give any excuse that to comfort yourself bcos of losing money in stock market. If u continuously losing money bcos u are not smart enough & not willing find out what mistake u have been done, every success investor must done mistake before, but how they act & think after the mistake is the keypoint of success. They are winning bcos of their mindset are leading them to winning. If u haven’t make a good profit in past few year in bull market, u must review your investment style & strategy .

don’t complaint the share u choose didn’t rise or maybe u already buy at high prices becos of herd instinct. Are u buy Gtronic, MKH, Tambun , Hua yang, Hap seng , L&G , DKSH ,TDM & other good share before election last year? or u just buy after widely publicized or already priced in. I bought them early 2013 & now double of my investment .

Don’t invest if u fear about other people manipulation , currency, bond , futures, stock market, commodity goods, property , even though our mind, all this are manipulate by other powerful people. The key point is how to recognize it & become your edge . in 2012 , I told my friends don’t buy gold bcos are manipulated by big player (FED of USA). Now they are stuck in.

Finally, I wish to thanks Mr koon & other i3 member , gave me the opportunity to learn & become successful investor. Wish u all healthy , happiness & all the best .

timetokoon

305 posts

Posted by timetokoon > 2015-11-22 10:18 | Report Abuse

KYY superinvestor he is

timetokoon

305 posts

Posted by timetokoon > 2015-12-04 13:09 | Report Abuse

Super investor buy Jtiasa

Post a Comment
Market Buzz