Posted by cklcolin10 > 2012-10-10 18:18 | Report Abuse

I know there are many small active traders in the market.. and making profits here and there. Would like to know whether it possible to male a living with stock trading alone? I mean getting constant in flow of small (or medium) of cash .. here and there? Recently lost my job.. and wondering whether is a good bet to trade and earn some side income..while weathering through this tough period of time Any professional opinion or feedback? Thank you in advance for your input

4 people like this.

96 comment(s). Last comment by Ching Yin Carrot Loh 2012-10-16 23:21

Posted by cklcolin10 > 2012-10-12 11:31 | Report Abuse

Hi friends.. thanks for million dollar advice :-)
Appreciates all comments given.. and will surely adopt some of the advice and wisdom..

Eventhough I don't know anyone of you, but I felt your comments is helpful and encouraging.. thanks all

Never Walk Alone

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2012-10-12 11:33 | Report Abuse

Colin, you are a smart guy.

Posted by foomeiling > 2012-10-12 11:51 | Report Abuse

my capital 100k, avg 2,000 ++ profit

eg. i made 4000++ and 3000 ++ from FGV and Airasia recently, but in may and june, my profit was 600++ and 200++ respectively.

do it slowly, no problem, just don't speculate if u r newbie.

euclid

85 posts

Posted by euclid > 2012-10-12 11:52 | Report Abuse

It's possible to make a living with stock trading - IF you trade for other people and earn commission! Other than this I am not optimistic.

ongtkong

456 posts

Posted by ongtkong > 2012-10-12 12:04 | Report Abuse

That's is the job of remisier......boring....what colin meant is to trade for himself

PureBULL .

2,406 posts

Posted by PureBULL . > 2012-10-13 01:36 | Report Abuse

Hi Collin, most if not all newbies will enter stock mkt buying really 'cheap' penny stocks. n that is a very weak point to start. Worse still it can become habitual in life. That's why so many people will buy/jump in big at the mention of pennies.

U can grade stocks from A1, A2 to F9. Most people will design themselves out of A1 n A2 stocks. They will reject A1 n A2 stocks 1st, n thus the best biz of the cycle. They rather go big into C5, C6 stocks that later end up as F9. A1, A2 r high rm $4 n above = good things r not cheap.

High strategy in QUANTS = QA is the good answer to making money in this endless 'financial war'.
QA > = FA + TA.

Quants is highly demanding.
It requires current n deep knowledge n know-how on perfect timing n most importantly, taking action at Right Cycles of biz, economy,
niche products n services, industrial sectors n theme in play, to investment-clock cycle n cyclical acts in monetary n fiscal tricks n more...
It deals with lots of charting. All these will converge into multi dimensional charts that is best decided by the power of TA.

Of course, Good Luck is 1 big component of this equation.

& LUCK = OPPORTUNITY + ACTION.TAKEN

Every person has the same luck n opportunity in facing the mkt but not everyone takes the same Action.
So HOW ?

So many types of cycles listed above to master !

Unlearn n relearn. Stock investment is a 'financial jigsaw puzzle'. U need to collect n have all the pieces to finally fix n appreciate the full picture = money. I do present some nice pieces in my diary/forum on real-time.

Kenny Foo

232 posts

Posted by Kenny Foo > 2012-10-13 02:31 | Report Abuse

of course u can but are u discipline enough and emotionless?????? if you are not then u have to stay out. My 2 cents worth of advise else no one will pity u when u lose more to the market. Ppl will just say that u r gambling but u will say no u r not......In actually truth u have no intention, but following your emotion(greed in earning and making loss)which you can't control will lead you into deeper pool of shit.......

Ben Gan

107 posts

Posted by Ben Gan > 2012-10-13 07:11 | Report Abuse

Can you think of someone who is a successful trader? Thousands have failed, but a few may have succeeded. Don't depend on luck. Luck only favors those who are smart, diligent and hard-working. They keep improving themselves and stay focus in doing what they intend to achieve. Do you have these traits?

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2012-10-13 07:50 | Report Abuse

I always read about success stories, especially in this kind of forum. My hunch is that most people have cognitive bias. They remember their gains very well and will not stop bragging about it. But most deliberately forgot about their failure and few would want to "lose face" telling people they lose money in certain shares. It is hard to believe that retail investors can beat insiders and big time speculators by following the wind and trading in and out. Manipulation, transaction and other frictional costs reduce your chance dramatically.

Posted by herbert 456 > 2012-10-13 07:56 | Report Abuse

Absolutely agree with the above.

Posted by herbert 456 > 2012-10-13 09:58 | Report Abuse

It's De Ja vu reading this question that you posted in this blog, and the response from the many good hearted ppl who are telling you that life is tough, even if you are thinking of an easier way of earning income through the stock market.

I just got back from the nearby wet market, and couldn't help but to wonder that recently I notice more small time hawkers selling foodstuff or even small merchandise by the roadside, from their car etc. Does appear to be a bad job market these days, and that so many had become jobless and turn to earn a living this way. But, why are they not buying shares and trade to earn a constant living in the share market?? Probably they don't have the capital - that's true. Probably, they are unaware that there is a place called Bursa Malaysia, and the index has been reaching record high. Probably, they are just too afraid to part with their hard earned savings. But, this is their basic income and they need to protect their rice bowl and feed their family, before taking any chances of punting in the share market. If that's what they are thinking, it is very respectable indeed.

I am probably luckier that I didn't enter the share market without a job. But that doesn't make it any better. I've seen my capital shrunk and unlikely to recover what is lost. The contradiction here is the word "CONSTANT INCOME". I think most of us here wouldn't advise u to see the share market as a source of constant income, but if u have some spare cash to spare, use it wisely.

Good luck, bro!!

shirley1

1,141 posts

Posted by shirley1 > 2012-10-13 10:57 | Report Abuse

Hi guys, let do a reality check here. am not an expert in share, and am learning too. my job nature require me to study human characters. believe it or not, human characters cannot be easily changed, yet we need to make those working in the company to contribute. so if anyone wish to change a person character, don't waste your time.

In share market context, what can notice in this forum, there are

1. punter
2. trader
3. opportunist
4. investor

Among the 4, the chances of success is higher for no 4.

Punter, if you are gifted by god always riding on luck, suggest you don't waste it and go for it.

Trader, there is definitely successful one, but one need to make sure he can pick the skill, I see not many can pick the skill. I am one of them that cannot pick up. haha

Opportunist, some of them do it one time, some of them do it several times. Each time they hit is a lot lot money one. look at penny stock, guess who is making money.

Investor, quite a number of ppl can pick up the skill, there are many making living on this. think KC Loh is one of them. haha.

so.. cannot be a trader is not end of world la, there are still other options mah.

any comment?

Kenny Foo

232 posts

Posted by Kenny Foo > 2012-10-13 11:27 | Report Abuse

many have screwed up but still want to pretend as if they are a great trader.......

chongkonghui

1,117 posts

Posted by chongkonghui > 2012-10-13 11:32 | Report Abuse

@shirley1 Will is required for a person to change, on a purpose. 80/20 Rule applies here....80% are punters and 20% are trader/investors.

In real world, there are 80/20 within the 20%.... i.e. not many are truely "Investors" but trying to be one (in the process or changing character/nature/habit in share trading/investment).

Me, I'm working on my way to the 20 of the 20.

shirley1

1,141 posts

Posted by shirley1 > 2012-10-13 11:36 | Report Abuse

that is not human character, that is strategy :)

Hong2

340 posts

Posted by Hong2 > 2012-10-13 11:54 | Report Abuse

Thanks all for the comments. it's really a good sharing.

shirley1

1,141 posts

Posted by shirley1 > 2012-10-13 12:00 | Report Abuse

Chongkonghui, correct me if I'm wrong, think you are someone willing to learn and quite objective. and you have analytical skill. Willing to adopt what is good to make money from share market. I believe that is your character :)

Posted by littleshark > 2012-10-13 13:27 | Report Abuse

Before jumping into bcmg a full time trader i suggest u to start ptime 1st. With a secure mthly income u can start invest part of ur income in stock. Learn all the basic of investing strategy:technical analysis,interpret financial stmts(thk that im an accountant),candlestick chart,value/momentum investing,MACD,etc... All this skills is vy important to help u pick a gd stock&nt merely investing blindly. All the oth sifus up thr hv so much experience in which u can learn frm them.When i start investing a yr ago i mk a mistake going in without doing research. That cause me wipe out rm5k in juz 1-2 mth. I realize it&since then i mk every effort to study all the investmt strategy. Luckily i mk a 250% return in a stock which i bought a lot b4 the stock start jumping up&gain bk more than my lost. Guess im an opportunist mention by Shirley. Hopefully can bcm no.4. Juz a piece of advice frm a little investor..

Ben Gan

107 posts

Posted by Ben Gan > 2012-10-13 15:13 | Report Abuse

Here's an interesting quote:

"If you are about to speculate in shares, it behooves you to ask yourself if you possess the temperament and swift reasoning powers necessary to cope with the ablest money getters in the world"

Trading as an outsider with little knowledge and experience is like trying to catch crows at night without a touch light.

Posted by cklcolin10 > 2012-10-14 19:50 | Report Abuse

Thanks all.
Learned lots of stuff this couple of days.
Some stuff kept me wide awake at night with cold sweat.. some stuff kept saying is OK to go

I strongly believe in today environment.. there are lots of info, materials and advice gained from experienced members.. many things are debated, shared and a good knowledgebased is built.

Felt confidence, wiser and ready to get a small leap for mankind..hahahaa.. Lets see how I progress from here.. and will shares my journey to world of investing..in the coming months

Beer on me.. if I make it..hahahaa

pathew

2,028 posts

Posted by pathew > 2012-10-14 20:22 | Report Abuse

Not gonna give any advice whether to do trading full time or not coz i'm still a newbie myself. But defensive stocks that give dividend are good bets to start on.

Work your confidence in shares before you plunge deeper into this big bad market. I'm sure all the sifu here are more than willing to give some advice and perhaps tips?

Posted by littleshark > 2012-10-14 20:34 | Report Abuse

Ckcolin10 welcome to the board. Hope our small boat can bcm a big cruise..

shirley1

1,141 posts

Posted by shirley1 > 2012-10-14 23:38 | Report Abuse

Wah .. Purebull, hope i read correctly, livermore lost his entire fortune on one trading, want to follow meh... give one successful one la.

shirley1

1,141 posts

Posted by shirley1 > 2012-10-14 23:59 | Report Abuse

no angry huh, he is good but still sad ending.

PureBULL .

2,406 posts

Posted by PureBULL . > 2012-10-15 05:32 | Report Abuse

To all Concerned,
These best of the best will help us do this 'toughest job' in the world well...
http://www.jesse-livermore.com/

http://www.jesse-livermore.com/trading-rules.html

Dan Zanger, a student of legend William O'neil is the world 2nd best record profit in stock trading, turning $11k to $18mill in 18 mths n still counting !

http://www.chartpattern.com/index.html

http://www.chartpattern.com/10_golden_rules.html

Read n re-read more than 10 times n still re-reading...

The more u read, the cleverer u r n richer u will be...

cmlooi

465 posts

Posted by cmlooi > 2012-10-15 08:39 | Report Abuse

An alternative to Livermore (who died poor) would be Darvas (who died rich). Most trend traders mimic Darvas. By the way, if its your first time doing online trading, make sure you hit the correct buttons especially the number of shares you want to buy. An extra zero will be costly.

shirley1

1,141 posts

Posted by shirley1 > 2012-10-15 13:37 | Report Abuse

at least proven there is successful trader like Darvas.

got like that one meh, we said someone is the best but in the end he still fail in this real world. Anyone want to be the best and die poor ? hahaha think he will angry me liao and boh song.... just kidding.

Ben Gan

107 posts

Posted by Ben Gan > 2012-10-15 13:56 | Report Abuse

For everyone successful trader, there are probably 1000 failures. Ask yourself why you should win. If you get a good answer, go ahead, but please bet what you can comfortably lose.

Posted by bursabulltrader > 2012-10-15 14:21 | Report Abuse

PureBull, cmlooi: Livermore & Darvas is my top 2 gurus who inspire me! Looks like we have same gurus who teach us fighthing techniques and spirit... hehehehehe... Another gurus would be O'Niel. Darvas bring me into the market, next Livermore teach me to be a trader, O'Niel teach me how to earn more in the market.

This quotes I like - 'There are no good stocks or bad stocks; There are only stock that make money' - Jesse Livermore

Cheers!!!

Ben Gan

107 posts

Posted by Ben Gan > 2012-10-15 14:36 | Report Abuse

Jesse Livermore died as a bankrupt!!!!

Posted by bursabulltrader > 2012-10-15 14:54 | Report Abuse

BenGan, Livermore is legendary trader. We still need to learn a lot from him about his trading stratgey which is still valid until today...hahaha.

kcchongnz

6,684 posts

Posted by kcchongnz > 2012-10-15 16:07 | Report Abuse

Jesse Livermore is one the the greatest traders in history. In the book "Reminiscence of a stock trader", he made huge profits but also bankrupted not once, but a few times. But each time he fell, he rose up again. Can you? Not me, I can't afford to fall like that. But it also shows that to be consistently making money in stock trading is not an easy task, certainly not for a small retail trader. Sometimes you have to think about a short term profitability is it really due to skill, or is it just luck. I tend to think of it to be the later.

aunloke

974 posts

Posted by aunloke > 2012-10-15 16:20 | Report Abuse

Even though he died as a bankrupt I'm sure he enjoyed his life which was packed with action and during his bankruptcy he could happily say that 'been there done that'

shirley1

1,141 posts

Posted by shirley1 > 2012-10-15 18:48 | Report Abuse

like that also can. ok la ok la livermore is good la. hahaha trader really have strong character LOL

no need so emo, no good for trader or investor, be happy always, money is not everything.. cheers.

Posted by Fat Cat Tim Buddy > 2012-10-15 18:55 | Report Abuse

its not how much money you make, its how much money you keep.

KC Loh

13,701 posts

Posted by KC Loh > 2012-10-15 19:12 | Report Abuse

Anyone who has regularly traded the stock market with his or her own money will tell you that, at times, it can be a highly stressful occupation. Livermore said of his profession, "... a man must give his entire mind to his business if he wishes to succeed in stock speculation." Jesse Livermore lived with this stress for a large part of his life, beginning at the age of just 15.

Stress can do funny things to the mind. Livermore was prone to bouts of depression and it was during one of these that he took his own life.

source: http://www.jesse-livermore.com/beating-the-market.html

makes one think eh?

Posted by herbert 456 > 2012-10-15 19:18 | Report Abuse

No wonder so many people committed suicide after their failure in stock markets.... sigh!!! :(

Posted by Ching Yin Carrot Loh > 2012-10-15 19:20 | Report Abuse

Don't bring urself into trouble while u not really understand that things or that person,open ur eyes......opinion from a children lol

shirley1

1,141 posts

Posted by shirley1 > 2012-10-15 23:35 | Report Abuse

Graduate 10years $300,000
Investor 3 years $300,000
Footballer 1 week $300,000
Drug dealer 2 days $300,000
Politician 24 hours $300,000
Fx Trader 6 hours $300,000
Armed robber 10 minutes $300,000

Choose wisely.

reposted from somewhere.

Frank Soweto

3,425 posts

Posted by Frank Soweto > 2012-10-15 23:58 | Report Abuse

Fx Trader 6 hours $300,000
Armed robber 10 minutes $300,000
*UNINFORMED STOCK PUNTER 1 DAY -$300,000*

Choose wisely.
U BE THE JUDGE ( COPIED FROM SOMEWHERE )

reposted from somewhere.

Posted by Zul Ilman Muhammad > 2012-10-16 00:11 | Report Abuse

"Like" Frank's statement..haha!

PureBULL .

2,406 posts

Posted by PureBULL . > 2012-10-16 03:33 | Report Abuse

Jesse Livermore was a loner with little formal EDUcation. He was highly stressed since 15 years old. This is a big part of stock mkt occupational hazzle. It was his BRAIN n body that failed him n certainly not his stock operating methodology that the whole investing world continues to learn from...

He once said it is unfair to play stock due to insider mgmt's better info abt the co. So he decided to go 100% into commodity futures, copper I guess. He was the mover n almost corner the copper mkt. At that final critical moment, his BRAIN went haywire ! This is like an expert pilot who fly the plane to the highest n all of the sudden loss his eye sight n sense. His Future contract being highly leveraged had no cut loss mechanism. By the time he was 'awake' he went bankrupt.

Dear friends, we do pity him, Right ! Warren B. also learns from Livermore on fear n hope, except makes it in longer sentence. A known fact that no one can be a prestigious hedge funder without knowing Livermore.

By n large, People tend to reject the best (No. 1 to 10) in the world. They choose to learn from NO. 1000 or more or no position ranking...
Choosing who to learn from, also wrong edi. How to be Right in the stock mkt ?

U decide...

shirley1

1,141 posts

Posted by shirley1 > 2012-10-16 08:53 | Report Abuse

Fx Trader or COPPER trader 6 hours $300,000
Armed CORPORATE robber 10 minutes $300,000
*UNINFORMED STOCK PUNTER 1 DAY -$300,000*

Choose wisely.
U BE THE JUDGE ( COPIED FROM SOMEWHERE )
Don't let your brain and body fail you (copied from somewhere)

reposted from somewhere.

Posted by tradersam 56 > 2012-10-16 12:21 | Report Abuse

LOL! Shirley1 and Frank !! May I add .... BEGGAR 1 DAY $10 !! better than uninformed stock punter !!

Ben Gan

107 posts

Posted by Ben Gan > 2012-10-16 12:45 | Report Abuse

Jesse Livermore committed suicide and died as a bankrupt. He lost heavily in cotton when he kept averaging down, Why didn't he cut lost? Destiny must be playing its part.
" When fate summons, monarch must obey."
Learn his strategy if you like but don't follow his footsteps.

shirley1

1,141 posts

Posted by shirley1 > 2012-10-16 12:57 | Report Abuse

ya.. LOL

from an Army General, there are 4 types of officers

type 1 - lazy and stupid one, leave them alone, they do no harm

type 2 - hardworking and intelligent one, they make excellent staff officers, that ensure every details is considered

type 3 - hardworking and stupid one, they are menace and must be fired at once

type 4 - intelligent and lazy one, they are suited for the highest office

reposted from somewhere.

Ben Gan

107 posts

Posted by Ben Gan > 2012-10-16 13:27 | Report Abuse

JL's suicide note :

“My dear Nina: Can’t help it. Things have been bad with me. I am tired of fighting. Can’t carry on any longer. This is the only way out. I am unworthy of your love. I am a failure. I am truly sorry, but this is the only way out for me. Love Laurie”.[14]

Source: Wikipedia

Pity him, (Sigh...)

shirley1

1,141 posts

Posted by shirley1 > 2012-10-16 22:00 | Report Abuse

sad :( think must erase the word "pity" from your dictionary if want to play the trader zero-sum game.. the more others lose the more you win.

Posted by Ching Yin Carrot Loh > 2012-10-16 23:21 | Report Abuse

Shirley1,clap clap hand with what u said lol=)

Post a Comment
Market Buzz